Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

CM6.1 finally works on my EVO. If anybody was having an issue with 0004 build EVO's it should work for them now. I switched over from MIUI, while I like that ROM it's got a couple things I didn't really like. I do miss the Music App and the super cool looking Messaging thing though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Civil posted:

Hoping that the Nexus S means that the galaxy series gets an early 2.3.

The Nexus S probably means nothing at all for any other phones, other than the Nexus One possibly not being the first for updates all the time.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

big mean giraffe posted:

The Nexus S probably means nothing at all for any other phones, other than the Nexus One possibly not being the first for updates all the time.

Eh, I doubt anything official but I bet the NS will share a lot with the standard GS line and ports of 2.3 will be pretty quick.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
How easy was the Nexus to Desire port?

I imagine the difference between the Nexus S/Galaxy S will be much bigger than that of the Nexus 1 to Desire.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Aatrek posted:

Virtuous ROM seems to be working better for me since I installed their custom kernel, but now my battery widget (Battery Left) doesn't seem to work right.

Anybody know a good battery widget I should try?

I like the one on SwitchPro Widget

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

MeKeV posted:

How easy was the Nexus to Desire port?

I imagine the difference between the Nexus S/Galaxy S will be much bigger than that of the Nexus 1 to Desire.

Pretty straightforward outside of Bluetooth but BT has been a problem in OS ports since the G1 days. For whatever reason it's always a bitch. I agree there will be some significant differences but it'll be a closer match than stripping 2.3 off say a Nexus One and trying to shove it on a GS.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
I just installed CM6 RC2 myself (first Custom ROM) and it was super easy. Only minor issue is some application duplication from titanium backup.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Eh, I doubt anything official but I bet the NS will share a lot with the standard GS line and ports of 2.3 will be pretty quick.

It's all but confirmed to be a dual core Orion processor, according to XDA, so they're about as related as a G1 and a G2, I'd say.

big mean giraffe posted:

It might mean I keep my N1 longer, if those loving buttons stay retardedly laid out :argh:

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Casao posted:

It's all but confirmed to be a dual core Orion processor, according to XDA, so they're about as related as a G1 and a G2, I'd say.

It might mean I keep my N1 longer, if those loving buttons stay retardedly laid out :argh:

Yeah, as fast as cyanogen has been pumping out updates with new features I will be happy with the n1 for another year probably. The new bounce scroll poo poo and lockscreen features added in the latest rc are awesome.

captaingimpy
Aug 3, 2004

I luv me some pirate booty, and I'm not talkin' about the gold!
Fun Shoe
I just finished rolling back my Incredible where I could root it and installed MIUI. The battery life is now horrendous. In less than 20 minutes, it has gotten down to 72%. Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere? It claims that the display has eaten up 61% of the usage, but I have had the display on very dim.

Another question...I see that virtuous has a different (custom) kernel. Does MIUI use the pre November OTA as the kernel(as that's the one I rolled back to) or do all ROMs include the kernel? I'm a little hazy on that part.

BLOG THAT SHIT
Sep 27, 2006

Nothing to see here.
I decided to try out the new Cyanogenmod. The only thing I'm having trouble with now is opening the Cyanogenmod settings. It just force closes every time. Any tricks I'm missing?

Primworm
Aug 19, 2008

Six pokeballs, more than enough to catch anything that moves.

BLOG THAT poo poo posted:

I decided to try out the new Cyanogenmod. The only thing I'm having trouble with now is opening the Cyanogenmod settings. It just force closes every time. Any tricks I'm missing?

Honestly sounds like an error in flashing, did you wipe data and cache when you flashed the rom?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
If the latest batch of rumors is true then the Nexus S has a different hardware platform than the galaxy S series, so a rom port would be as easy as porting the Nexus One rom. (Not at all)

BLOG THAT SHIT
Sep 27, 2006

Nothing to see here.

Primworm posted:

Honestly sounds like an error in flashing, did you wipe data and cache when you flashed the rom?

I didn't but I'll give that a shot.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
Question for the CM6.1 users.

Do apps normally take longer to actually start downloading from the market compared to stock or is this just a problem on my end?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Question for the CM6.1 users.

Do apps normally take longer to actually start downloading from the market compared to stock or is this just a problem on my end?

I've had lack luster Market performance since my G1. It just works well when it wants to.

Primworm
Aug 19, 2008

Six pokeballs, more than enough to catch anything that moves.

I didn't but I'll give that a shot.

When flashing a new rom, ALWAYS backup your existing rom and wipe data and cache. The only time you don't have to wipe data/cache is when you are going from say, a cyanogen nightly to another, as long as you are moving up that is.

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

Phrost bought me this custom title even though he doesn't know me, to get rid of the old one (lol gay) out of respect for my namesake. Thanks, Phr
What do you guys think of the sprint EVO? I think its time to drop my CDMA Hero and get with a hero.

edit: and is it possible to use some kind of 3rd party keyboard? I'm envisioning connecting my HD monitor via HDMI and using a full-size keyboard to type..?

Isaac Asimov fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Nov 29, 2010

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Isaac Asimov posted:

What do you guys think of the sprint EVO? I think its time to drop my CDMA Hero and get with a hero.

It's a good rig and arguably the best thing Sprint offers in terms of high end Android hardware.

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

Phrost bought me this custom title even though he doesn't know me, to get rid of the old one (lol gay) out of respect for my namesake. Thanks, Phr

Maker Of Shoes posted:

It's a good rig and arguably the best thing Sprint offers in terms of high end Android hardware.
Cool, I think I'll get one tomorrow :)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

The only other option really is the Epic anyway, and yeah it's a six of one, half dozen of the other between the two.

BathroomTile
Jun 4, 2005

Just your run-of-the-mill bathroom tile.
To any Incredible users out there using a Sense ROM: which are you using and why did you choose it (ie. why Virtuous over Skyraider)?

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I use Virtuous, only because it gives me a bit better battery life than the stock Sense. I haven't tried Skyraider, but I use LauncherProPlus anyway, so there's not too much that's not already included there.

Dim, Tired, and Elderly
Mar 25, 2004

ur ded
Tried MIUI on my Moto Droid. It's a bit buggy. Wouldn't let me view any of my contacts in my phonebook and there is no option to sync with Facebook contacts.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

I had that too, except with Sound. My problem was that I was restoring my system settings from Titanium Backup and it caused it to flip out.

BathroomTile
Jun 4, 2005

Aatrek posted:

I use Virtuous, only because it gives me a bit better battery life than the stock Sense. I haven't tried Skyraider, but I use LauncherProPlus anyway, so there's not too much that's not already included there.

Have you come across any issues with Virtuous?

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Not really. The basic ROM seemed like it was draining down my battery, but I installed their custom kernel and it seems to be working fine now.

BathroomTile
Jun 4, 2005

Aatrek posted:

Not really. The basic ROM seemed like it was draining down my battery, but I installed their custom kernel and it seems to be working fine now.

Good to know. I saw that the dude posted a custom kernel in his Virtuous thread, but I wasn't sure what sort of performance benefits it had and what have you.

God Exists.
Sep 26, 2010

by Ozma
Virtuous is awesome, there's a lot of neat customization options he bundles with it and the kernels are second to none in terms of battery life.

toby
Dec 4, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

The only other option really is the Epic anyway, and yeah it's a six of one, half dozen of the other between the two.

I have the Epic and I like it a lot, but! Because I have a magical knack for choosing a smartphone that will become the underdog choice, it isn't on Froyo yet and there isn't really anything in the way of custom ROMs for it.

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007

BathroomTile posted:

To any Incredible users out there using a Sense ROM: which are you using and why did you choose it (ie. why Virtuous over Skyraider)?

I used Skyraider Vanilla for a long time, switched over to CM6, went back to sense after realizing that the hype was somewhat overblown. I was on virtuous for a long time after that and it's an incredibly good rom, but recently I switched over to Redemptive Revolution + the Incredible Distinction theme. Nice dark colorset, mostly-stock sense with a few minor additions, and with the custom kernel someone recently posted on XDA, i'm getting 24 hours to about 40% battery with moderate use.

Edit: the kernel I'm talking about is Chad's.

teamdest fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Nov 29, 2010

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
I'm using MIUI right now but the battery life kind of sucks so I might switch to a different kernel. My two favorites are Redemptive Rom and MIUI.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.
I tried MIUI on my HD2 and fell in love with it. It's too bad I can't use it on my G2 yet.

wca
Mar 2, 2004

I'm a world-class assassin, fuckhead. How do you think I found out?
I have 6.1.0-RC1 mod on my mytouch but drat it's too slow or lag compared to my original stock 1.6 firmware. It seems it takes up too much resources or mytouch simply does not have enough memory/ram to run firmware 2.2.

Any recommended downgrades mods for mytouch?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Does anyone know how to stop Cyanogen automatically re-installing all my apps on a fresh install? I want to go to RC2 but I also want to mess with some new partition layouts, A2SD methods and stuff and I don't want it to start reinstalling my apps and completely fill my internal storage before I've had a chance to get everything set up.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

chippy posted:

Does anyone know how to stop Cyanogen automatically re-installing all my apps on a fresh install? I want to go to RC2 but I also want to mess with some new partition layouts, A2SD methods and stuff and I don't want it to start reinstalling my apps and completely fill my internal storage before I've had a chance to get everything set up.
Don't sign in to your Google account.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Any way other than that? You can't just disable the feature?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

chippy posted:

Any way other than that? You can't just disable the feature?

Don't sign in after a fresh wipe > Menu > Settings > Privacy. You'll see the options for back up and restore.

Feel free to sign in after that.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Don't sign in after a fresh wipe > Menu > Settings > Privacy. You'll see the options for back up and restore.

Feel free to sign in after that.

Pretty sure there's an option to uncheck backup and restore during the setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

travisray2004 posted:

Pretty sure there's an option to uncheck backup and restore during the setup.

I think it's only the back up option on first boot, not the restore which is automatic. I could be horribly wrong though. It's been awhile since I've seen it.