Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Summon monster is olyaffected by anti-magic field if the creatures are magical. Otherwise as long as you summon them outside the field it doesn't affect them.

Actually, all summoned monsters are affected by antimagic field:

PF SRD posted:

Summoned creatures of any type and incorporeal undead wink out if they enter an antimagic field. They reappear in the same spot once the field goes away.

And that's pretty much unchanged from the 3.5 version of the spell.

Since eidolons are considered summoned creatures ("Eidolons are treated as summoned creatures, except.."), unless the eidolon has SR it would wink out until the summoner left the area affected by the antimagic field. Even then, it'd only be SR25 (at the level of the character mentioned above), so it's very likely that whatever effect was causing the antimagic field would be able to overcome it moderately easily.

It's still a dick move, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
The rest of that sentence you quoted reads "...that they are not sent back to their home plane until reduced to a number of negative hit points equal to or greater than their Constitution score."

Which means that the only way to send them home is to kill them, or banish/dismiss.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Tactical Bonnet posted:

The rest of that sentence you quoted reads "...that they are not sent back to their home plane until reduced to a number of negative hit points equal to or greater than their Constitution score."

Which means that the only way to send them home is to kill them, or banish/dismiss.

..and the antimagic field isn't sending them back to their home plane, ala banish/dismiss, it's just making them "wink out" temporarily. It's suppressing the summoning.

*shrug*

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
What's a good huge creature to wildshape into as a druid. I'm level 7 right now and as a dire tiger with strong jaw and bull strength I'm doing 4d6+4 (+3d6+4) x2 on a charge with a bite and 2 claws. At 8th I'll be able to go huge and was looking for something with a similar attack setup.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Check this out, it should have some helpful tips. Doesn't look like it gets much better than the Dire Tiger, but you might find something you like!

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
There's a dinosaur build (brontosaurus?) that uses precise strike and some other stuff to deal 18d6 plus a ton of strength damage with a tail slap.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Tactical Bonnet posted:

There's a dinosaur build (brontosaurus?) that uses precise strike and some other stuff to deal 18d6 plus a ton of strength damage with a tail slap.

How do you use Pathfinder's version of Wildshape to change into a Gargantuan creature? At best you can only manage a Huge sized animal.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

The question mark there shows that I'm not sure about the dinosaur. I was also wrong about the number of d6, 16, not 18. Here's the forum post about it:

quote:

Now that we are 8th I can wildshape into huge animals and I'm looking at the Stegosaurus with a 4d6 tail attack. Also in the Advanced Players Guide there is a 4th level spell called Strong Jaw on page 247 that makes one natural attack do damage as if 2 sizes larger. I'm confused as to the damage it would do based on the table on page 302 of the bestiary.

Also what would happen if I use Vital Strike, which lets me make one attack at highest BAB and roll damage twice?

My understanding would be 8d6 for Strong Jaw because the difference between the damages listed on the table on page 302 the spell references is doubled for each 2 size step.

And for Vital Strike I would roll that damage again if I hit for a total of 16d6 + str mod.

Is my understanding correct? And if so how do I handle crits?

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
That's pretty bad rear end, and yet another reason to not play a fighter. :v:
Did those questions the guy asked ever get answered? Because I too am curious as to what happen should that crit.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

What we came up with were two questions: does the 20d6 maximum damage rule still apply(we came up with yes)? and is Vital Stike a multiplier or a damage bonus? The answer is: Multiplier. The extra 8d6 are not multiplied by criticals, so depending on how you feel about the max damage rule you would either roll 20d6+str+whatever or 24d6+str+whatever.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Does PF have a 20d6 max damage rule? Because in stock 3.5, the only thing that caps at 20d6 is falling damage and a lot (but not all) spells. Generally the only limit to damage output is what you can line up on one single strike.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

It could be a house rule your DM instituted because he's a jerk. :v: But ZeeToo is right, there's not a damage cap on anything other than spell limitations and falling damage (which is due to terminal velocity).
That's like saying a railgun is just as destructive as a nuke.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Kind of want to make Astaroth, from Soul Calibur. My idea is to use the Dungeon Crusher build out of Dungeonscape, along with a lot of the tripping/throwing feats/powers from Tome of Battle. Any way to do this properly with 1) with an axe and 2) without completely screwing myself?

Captain Hats
Jan 6, 2009

ELF

Swags posted:

Kind of want to make Astaroth, from Soul Calibur. My idea is to use the Dungeon Crusher build out of Dungeonscape, along with a lot of the tripping/throwing feats/powers from Tome of Battle. Any way to do this properly with 1) with an axe and 2) without completely screwing myself?

This is perfectly workable. Dungeoncrasher is a great fighter variant, dropping out at 6th into a Tome of Battle class will leave you in pretty good stead. The main bullrushing powers are in Setting Sun, which by default only swordsages can access. You can take feats (Martial Training) to add up to three Setting Sun manoeuvres to your list in other classes though, and three moves will give you a fair variety of ways to bullrush and throw people about. Pure swordsage would work too though, and if you use the discipline focus things on Stone Dragon then with your fighter feats you'll be racking up huge greataxe bonuses.

You might also want to look at being a Goliath, from Races of Stone. They get bonuses to strength and con, and Powerful Build which lets them count as large for a lot of purposes, including using weapons and bull rush attempts. They are a +1LA, but that matters less on a melee class than it does on a caster, especially with Tome of Battle.

In no time you'll be wandering around getting plus a million to your magical axe based judo that lets you throw people into walls and breathe fire.

Riidi WW
Sep 16, 2002

by angerbeet

Tactical Bonnet posted:

that's distinguishing them from summons that die at 0 hp. the anti-magic field makes an eidolon wink out

Swags
Dec 9, 2006

Captain Hats posted:

This is perfectly workable. Dungeoncrasher is a great fighter variant, dropping out at 6th into a Tome of Battle class will leave you in pretty good stead. The main bullrushing powers are in Setting Sun, which by default only swordsages can access. You can take feats (Martial Training) to add up to three Setting Sun manoeuvres to your list in other classes though, and three moves will give you a fair variety of ways to bullrush and throw people about. Pure swordsage would work too though, and if you use the discipline focus things on Stone Dragon then with your fighter feats you'll be racking up huge greataxe bonuses.

You might also want to look at being a Goliath, from Races of Stone. They get bonuses to strength and con, and Powerful Build which lets them count as large for a lot of purposes, including using weapons and bull rush attempts. They are a +1LA, but that matters less on a melee class than it does on a caster, especially with Tome of Battle.

In no time you'll be wandering around getting plus a million to your magical axe based judo that lets you throw people into walls and breathe fire.

I know this is likely impossible, but is there any way to get a warforged with powerful build? This is just based on the character, but Astaroth is a golem-thing, but a human thing, and I kind of want to make it like that. Possible?

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Swags posted:

I know this is likely impossible, but is there any way to get a warforged with powerful build? This is just based on the character, but Astaroth is a golem-thing, but a human thing, and I kind of want to make it like that. Possible?

There is the warforged prestige class, Warforged Juggernaut. I don't remember if it grants powerful build, but it does similar things.

Captain Hats
Jan 6, 2009

ELF

Swags posted:

There an item in the magic item compendium that gives you the trait... Strongarm Bracers I think.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
I made out a half orc wizard for the kingmaker campaign that I and a few friends will be starting in January, and I had a few questions/concerns about wizards.

Early on, it seems kind of lovely to be able to catch a couple spells and then sit there and do nothing, forcing me to pick and choose exceptionally carefully (which is ok, I just end up sitting around for 90% of the combat rounds). Is there anything else I can do in those in between rounds? Don't say a sling or light crossbow because that damage is almost negligible even if I do hit.

As much as I like the utility of the spells, I feel like I'll mostly be 'support.' Such as casting color spray and sleep versus any 'damage' spells. Obviously it's more beneficial to the group, it just seems kind of lovely to not be able to cast a lot for a while, and the ones that I can are basically just to allow my other teammates to kill stuff faster while I stand in the back.

Any pointers would be great.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

Get wands and scrolls. a level 1 scroll costs 12.5(ish)gp. You can write them yourself. Pick a bunch of them and "write them" during character creation. Then immediately start saving up for wands, first level wands are only 750gp.

But mostly scrolls, Also the arcane bound item is leaps and bounds better than the familiar if you don't just want the familiar.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Get wands and scrolls. a level 1 scroll costs 12.5(ish)gp. You can write them yourself. Pick a bunch of them and "write them" during character creation. Then immediately start saving up for wands, first level wands are only 750gp.

But mostly scrolls, Also the arcane bound item is leaps and bounds better than the familiar if you don't just want the familiar.

What spells should I be taking with those scrolls? Stuff like color spray/sleep/mage armor? I also won't be starting with that much gold (I think just the average starting in the CRB). Also, I don't have much experience with casters so I'm not sure of the purpose of the level 1 wand.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Wizards can use the cantrips as many times as they want. They're just limited in the number of cantrips they have to chose from. So go hog wild with that ray of frost.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

Nigulus Rex posted:

Low level wizard woes

Well there's a few things I guess. First, don't measure your wizard by damage output because while wizards can output tremendous damage that is not what they're best at. They are much better at winning fights through other means, typically by controlling, knocking out, or outright killing the foes, or controlling the terrain such that the advantage swings heavily to the party.

You should almost certainly be choosing an arcane school to specialize in. There aren't many reasons I can think of to play a universalist wizard as being really good at one thing is almost always better than being okay at a lot of things. Besides the extra spell slot per level is going to help a lot with your resources problem. If you can swing an intelligence of 20 and take a specialty school you're looking at 4 1st level spells per day right out of the gate, 5 if you use a bonded item. Consider that a single well placed color spray can end an entire encounter at this level and you shouldn't be feeling useless very often. Decide what you want your wizard to do, choose a school (or specialty school if your dm allows the apg stuff) that suits you, and go with it.

Several arcane schools will also give you a class power you can use INT + 3 times per day at first level, and often these powers are as good as or better than your first level spells. For instance Conjuration will let you fire an acid dart for decent damage, and manipulator lets you charm an enemy with a touch attack. A power that you get to use maybe as many as 8 times per day will go a long way towards stretching a sparse spell list.

Color Spray, Sleep, and Charm Person are all excellent combat spells and charm person has utility out of combat too. Open/Close is a great cantrip to have around, as is mage hand, or message, or ghost sound. If your party is smart about using terrain and positioning to its advantage, hydraulic push can be be absolutely excellent.

You're not going to be overpowering all the time at 1st level with a wizard and it can feel underwhelming, especially if you have a long enough adventuring day to where you're spending the majority of your time spell-less. Really the best advice I can think to give is to prepare spells and take abilities that fit the role you want your character to have in the party. If you want to be blasting out hitpoint damage, a level 1 wizard just doesn't really have the staying power to do that effectively. You have to spend a spell slot or a limited use ability to do, typically, 1d6+1 damage, when just about any character can do more than this by waving a longsword around.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
If you have Complete Mage from 3.5e it introduces the concept of Reserve Magic feats. Basically, as long as you have a spell of a certain type you don't cast, you get an at-will special attack/ability that scales up with the level of the spell held in reserve. For example, there's a fire one that gives you a 5 ft burst fire blast spell as long as you hold a fire spell of 2nd level or higher in reserve, that does 1d6 points of damage per level of the spell in reserve. This concept was probably one of the ones that paved the way for at-will spells in 4e, and it's more fun than using a crossbow with the mage's terrible BAB (or spamming 1d3 cantrips).

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Nigulus Rex posted:

I made out a half orc wizard for the kingmaker campaign that I and a few friends will be starting in January, and I had a few questions/concerns about wizards.

If you find yourself within melee range (and it's likely that it will happen at lower levels), forgo actually attacking for assisting allies. The wizard in the game I'm running did this often to both conserve spells and to do something when he ran low/out for the day.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Sole.Sushi posted:

If you find yourself within melee range (and it's likely that it will happen at lower levels), forgo actually attacking for assisting allies. The wizard in the game I'm running did this often to both conserve spells and to do something when he ran low/out for the day.

I don't understand what you just said. Don't attack them, and don't cast spells, but "assist" them? I'm missing something here.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Nigulus Rex posted:

I don't understand what you just said. Don't attack them, and don't cast spells, but "assist" them? I'm missing something here.

I'm pretty sure he means Aid Another, actually. Use your turn to probably give your ally a +2 to hit or AC.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

No, he means casting spells like Enlarge Person, Haste, and other buff spells, not just blowing stuff up.

Wizard in melee = dead Wizard, pretty much. Run away, help the meat shields/tanks/Fighter-types do their jobs better, and once you safely get out of range of the enemies' direct attacks, THEN start casting Magic Missile, Scorching Ray, Fireball, and whatnot.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Kvantum posted:

No, he means casting spells like Enlarge Person, Haste, and other buff spells, not just blowing stuff up.

Wizard in melee = dead Wizard, pretty much. Run away, help the meat shields/tanks/Fighter-types do their jobs better, and once you safely get out of range of the enemies' direct attacks, THEN start casting Magic Missile, Scorching Ray, Fireball, and whatnot.

or, you know, just use some of your many spells that instantly kill or incapacitate enemies on a failed saving throw

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

^^^^^
Talking about low-level wizards. They really don't have too many save or suck spells early on.

ZeeToo posted:

I'm pretty sure he means Aid Another, actually. Use your turn to probably give your ally a +2 to hit or AC.

Yes, this is what I meant. At low levels (1-3 typically), using the aid another action can really help if you have no spells left or are saving them for a bigger threat.
EDIT: Key words being "if you have no spells left." If you have spells, certainly use them unless you are saving them.

Sole.Sushi fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Dec 7, 2010

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Sole.Sushi posted:

^^^^^
Talking about low-level wizards. They really don't have too many save or suck spells early on.

Sleep, Colour Spray and arguably Cause Fear?

edit: oh you probably meant the number they can cast per day. It is four level one spells as a totally min-maxed Pathfinder level 1 wizard, right?

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Sole.Sushi posted:

^^^^^

sleep is a first-level spell

and you are allowed to use multiple quote tags in one post, knock off the obnoxious arrows okay

Karandras posted:

Sleep, Colour Spray and arguably Cause Fear?

edit: oh you probably meant the number they can cast per day. It is four level one spells as a totally min-maxed Pathfinder level 1 wizard, right?
that doesn't make any sense though, because I was replying to a guy who was talking about which spells you should cast, not what you should do when you run out of them

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Yeah either way level 1 wizards own and all of their 'weaknesses' are only a factor if the GM bases the whole game around loving with them

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

EDIT: No point in keeping that going.

On a slightly related note, what is everyone's opinion of sorcerer versus wizard (and by extension oracle versus cleric)? I've seen few spontaneous casters in any of the games that I have played in the hands of a player, which I'm sure stems from a lack of adaptability; however, I am rather curious if anyone has any awesome stories involving sorcerers.

Sole.Sushi fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 7, 2010

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Sole.Sushi posted:

EDIT: No point in keeping that going.

On a slightly related note, what is everyone's opinion of sorcerer versus wizard (and by extension oracle versus cleric)? I've seen few spontaneous casters in any of the games that I have played in the hands of a player, which I'm sure stems from a lack of adaptability; however, I am rather curious if anyone has any awesome stories involving sorcerers.

Well, those two questions actually have different answers, based on what I've seen and what my players have comes up with. In terms of actual optimization, cleric and wizard are definitely better than their spontaneous counterparts. That's not really worth discussing, since having a wider range of spells and getting to cast them a level earlier is enormous.

The Oracle has its weird curse mechanic, loses good fort saving throws, never gets Channel Energy, and gives up the cleric's ability to prepare whatever spells are on his list, and in its place gets... nothing, really. It's probably less fun to play than the Cleric, and I don't see a reason to play it unless you want a "snowflake" lame guy and/or are terrible at having enough of the right spells prepped.

The PF Sorcerer gets a bloodline boost that can be very flavorful, if that's the player's thing, as well as allowing specific feats, new skill options, and he gets a HD bump. If the player doesn't want to worry about spellbooks and the time needed to learn new spells and just wants to be magic, the Pathfinder Sorcerer is a good choice.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

ZeeToo posted:

The Oracle has its weird curse mechanic, loses good fort saving throws, never gets Channel Energy, and gives up the cleric's ability to prepare whatever spells are on his list, and in its place gets... nothing, really. It's probably less fun to play than the Cleric, and I don't see a reason to play it unless you want a "snowflake" lame guy and/or are terrible at having enough of the right spells prepped.

Oracle mysteries/revelations can be quite flavorful and also mechanically pretty nasty. One thing that quickly comes to mind is the heaven mystery, which allows a revelation that causes your Illusion[pattern] spells to affect enemies as though their hd were decreased by your charisma modifier. Heaven oracles get color spray, as well as several other very solid Illusion[pattern] spells added to their spell list, so they basically get a color spray that is knocking enemies unconscious well into the mid levels. Life mystery oracles are quite good at healing and do get to channel, and only depend on a single stat so are arguably better healbots than clerics.

I've never played an oracle because building them I always get to a certain point where they just start to feel lackluster, but they're mechanically sound, albeit less versatile than clerics. I think I just don't enjoy any of the concepts I've tried to build them around.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Sorcerers are sometimes more fun than wizards, I think, if less optimal. Once you hit level 8 or 9 you have so many spells per day that, even less than a wizard, you don't really need to worry about conserving your spell resources. Plus, it occasionally gives you options that you wouldn't have otherwise.

One time around level 9 in Living Greyhawk a party my sorcerer with was completely terrible and we were stuck in the water fighting a couple of water elementals that totally outclassed us. Instead of sticking around, I grabbed the only guy next to me and d-doored to the shore that was just at the outer limit of my range. The next round I cast haste, and the following round I cast swift fly and ran-flew essentially the entire distance. The following round I swift flew, dived after a couple of my party members, and d-doored them away again. Repeat this whole thing one more time. A wizard would never have three d-doors prepped - it'd be a silly use of his resources.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY
Does Pathfinder still feature wands as an accessible and big thing, because I always felt that cheapened the spontaneous casters role a little bit. Sorcerers were one of my favorite classes in 3.5, because they were forced to pick only the coolest spells, and then it was party time whenever one was needed, but when I found out that wands were an easier way to get all the coolest spells on demand, I was a little sad.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Wands are hella expensive man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

Danhenge posted:

Wands are hella expensive man

Only if you insist on buying them with a full 50 charges. You can dramatically decrease the price of a wand by being willing to come down to 10 or 20 charges.