Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daico
Aug 17, 2006

CaptainScraps posted:

No no no no no no

You do NOT want to be in federal court. Especially in the West District of Texas.

Federal judges will gently caress you.

You and opposing counsel both want to put the case on hold for Christmas/other cases?

The federal judge will scream "gently caress you, my court" and refuse to move anything. He holds all the power.

Edit: Also your possible jury pool is huge and full of hillbillies.

Dangit.

My cover letter to out-of-state firms and judges: "Please! Just help me get away from the hillbillies!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

I have to return some videotapes.

Copernic posted:

The manipulative callers UCLAw sends after you make me feel like poo poo. They will do anything, say anything, to get money.

Ask them if the money you send will be used to help control the rat problem at the law library.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
Hey now, those are paying students!

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
So out of my four courses, I have one course I p much stopped attending for all practical purposes about two months in and haven't done the reading for since. I have the final in about three and a half weeks, in the midst of my other finals. I know there are several people in this thread that basically do all of law school this way and I'd like some wisdom of how I should study for this exam. My only goal is not to get below a B.

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

mushi posted:

I love this poo poo. The law schools are so loving cold about it and do not wait even a goddamn year before sending poo poo your way.

So you know how when you graduate they wanna give you something as you walk across the stage, but your diplomas aren't ready yet?

At my graduation they handed us pretty little scrolls tied in ribbon. You get back to your seat and open the thing up and it's a goddamned welcome letter to the alumni association, replete with explanation as to why giving is so very important and instructions on how you can make your first donation as an alum.

Yes, our school hit us up for money literally the moment we graduated.

molomoloch
Jun 9, 2010
So I just got into Georgetown and UTexas, waiting on Berkeley, LA, Northwestern and a few other fine legal institutions.

Should I go?

Could I land a cushy federal government job someday despite my shady background? No criminal record, but I feel that if someone did an extensive CIA style background check on me, I'd look like quite the crazy man...

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Feces Starship posted:

So out of my four courses, I have one course I p much stopped attending for all practical purposes about two months in and haven't done the reading for since. I have the final in about three and a half weeks, in the midst of my other finals. I know there are several people in this thread that basically do all of law school this way and I'd like some wisdom of how I should study for this exam. My only goal is not to get below a B.

Get someone's old outline and cross-reference it against the page assignments from your textbook. Figure out which sections are out of date or otherwise lovely and update it. This should only take a few hours to a day, at most. Check your school's exam archive; do a couple until you recognize how the basic forms of each type of question are structured, then make sure your outline has a summary or checklist that you can use when that type of question comes up.

Welp, back to writing. 3 essays due Dec. 6 to go! Just 21,000 words left!

:suicide:

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Feces Starship posted:

Three days before the final, open the book and read it cover to cover once. This is not to memorize anything in it, it's just to familiarize you with where each topic is located so that you can look it up quickly during the final.

If the final is an open book essay this will give you your B.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Adar posted:

Three days before the final, open the book and read it cover to cover once. This is not to memorize anything in it, it's just to familiarize you with where each topic is located so that you can look it up quickly during the final.

This will get you a good shot at a B+ if you also just write down the page numbers on a sheet of paper as well for the topics.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

molomoloch posted:

So I just got into Georgetown and UTexas, waiting on Berkeley, LA, Northwestern and a few other fine legal institutions.

Should I go?

Could I land a cushy federal government job someday despite my shady background? No criminal record, but I feel that if someone did an extensive CIA style background check on me, I'd look like quite the crazy man...

Did you get any money, or would you be paying sticker price?

You could probably land a cushy federal government job someday... but who knows whether it would be a legal job, and who knows how many years it will take. If your question is "could I land a cushy federal government job after graduation from law school, with no experience?" The answer is probably no.

What do you want to do after law school?

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

mrtoodles posted:

So you know how when you graduate they wanna give you something as you walk across the stage, but your diplomas aren't ready yet?

At my graduation they handed us pretty little scrolls tied in ribbon. You get back to your seat and open the thing up and it's a goddamned welcome letter to the alumni association, replete with explanation as to why giving is so very important and instructions on how you can make your first donation as an alum.

Yes, our school hit us up for money literally the moment we graduated.

That's awesome. Some genius is in charge of their marketing.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

Copernic posted:

The manipulative callers UCLAw sends after you make me feel like poo poo. They will do anything, say anything, to get money.

Send them a check for $0.10. Maybe they won't hassle you so much if your name is on the official law school donor list?

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

blar posted:

Send them a check for $0.10. Maybe they won't hassle you so much if your name is on the official law school donor list?

Right, like that time I got guilted into giving some money to CARE after the disaster in Haiti and they never, ever contacted me again!

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Feces Starship posted:

Is this the class I think it is?

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Feces Starship posted:

Cover all the material in two 12-hour days. Get a couple outlines, spend another day synthesizing and checking them against each other, or just take the best one and make sure it doesn't have any obvious errors in it and go out drinking with the time you saved. Get the same mark as most of your class anyways. LAW SCHOOL!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Feces Starship posted:

I did several courses this way (not on purpose, mind, I just couldn't get out of bed most days) and I had some friends who bailed me out by giving me their outlines, which I used to fill in the gaps on my own (or in the case of civ pro, I just copied it wholesale because I didn't have a loving clue in that class). Northeastern is a lot of things but the students are very sharing (many of them are communists).

I dunno if you have any friends or classmates who would be willing to do that for you but hey it couldn't hurt to try

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Adar posted:

This is how I do every class, I have a B average.

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ainsley McTree posted:

I did several courses this way (not on purpose, mind, I just couldn't get out of bed most days) and I had some friends who bailed me out by giving me their outlines, which I used to fill in the gaps on my own (or in the case of civ pro, I just copied it wholesale because I didn't have a loving clue in that class). Northeastern is a lot of things but the students are very sharing (many of them are communists).

I dunno if you have any friends or classmates who would be willing to do that for you but hey it couldn't hurt to try

There are also kids who will give you an outline not because they're nice, but because they're a prick and want you to see how good their outline is. So if you strike out on your friends, ask the dickish type As who are always complaining about how the tests are unfair or whatever and you'll usually get back a pretty thorough outline with like an index of cases and full colour table of contents

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Feces Starship posted:

What course is it? If it's something really common (tax, admin law) then there should be commercial outlines for it in your library. Get one and read it a few times. If it's something uncommon (law and literature, homesteader law), then get some outlines from previous students and read those. For either scenario, get past exams.

I literally did not buy the admin law text book or go to half the classes and got a B doing this.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

prussian advisor posted:

Is this the class I think it is?

lol

But no. I actually do the reading and go most the time for employment. Hard as that may be to believe.

It's criminal adjudication, which is the rear end-half of crim pro. I'm also in the first half and I've been diligent in that, although that outline is far from done.

As for the "read the book three days before" crowd, how do you read an entire casebook in a day? Even skimming? Not only the "pages per instant" measure, but how do you keep focus on something like that for the 15 hours that would require at a bare minimum?

I like the idea regarding the page numbers and the in-book spotting, though.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Feces Starship posted:

As for the "read the book three days before" crowd, how do you read an entire casebook in a day? Even skimming? Not only the "pages per instant" measure, but how do you keep focus on something like that for the 15 hours that would require at a bare minimum?

You basically just need to figure out the highlights of each page/chapter and mentally make sure you have the general idea - sort of like meta-briefing each concept instead of an individual case. Bonus points if you have a good memory and can *very* briefly look at the fact patterns for what seem to be the most important cases, just so when the professor's lazy and copies 80% of a case for the final you know what you're supposed to think of. I dunno, it worked for me.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Don't read any casebook three days before, that's stupid. Grab some good outlines (or buy some if you're asocial, outlinedepot has drat near everything if your casebook isn't popular enough for commercial outlines), and spend those three days reading those instead. Maybe do some highlighting and tabbing in your book if you already bought it but let the outline be your guide as to what's important.

Unless your professor is the actual author of a casebook there is no need to buy them after your first semester of 1L. The only exceptions I can think of are small, new or rarely offered classes that are heavy on policy, where having access to cases on Lexis won't help and there aren't any outlines available. Between the availability of outlines, the availability of cases, and the availability of old editions in your library, there's just no excuse for being a chump and enabling the textbook hustle.

Three weeks is a very long time. IMO three days of cramming is just fine for open-book or open-note exams. I never dipped below a B on an open exam and net a fair share of As.

Elotana fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 28, 2010

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Feces Starship posted:

lol

But no. I actually do the reading and go most the time for employment. Hard as that may be to believe.

It's criminal adjudication, which is the rear end-half of crim pro. I'm also in the first half and I've been diligent in that, although that outline is far from done.

I did extremely well in adjudication working off just the G drive outlines, even thought they weren't for the professor I had. They're extremely thorough as outlines go, and I'd recommend them (particularly the 100+ page one, I don't remember which professor or what year it was based on) highly no matter which professor you have.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

prussian advisor posted:

I did extremely well in adjudication working off just the G drive outlines, even thought they weren't for the professor I had. They're extremely thorough as outlines go, and I'd recommend them (particularly the 100+ page one, I don't remember which professor or what year it was based on) highly no matter which professor you have.

Oh bro, oh bro, the HIGHEST of fives. I didn't even think to look there for some retarded reason.

I <3 u guys

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Feces Starship posted:

I read really quickly, if you're going to be an effective procrastinator that's one of those skills you really need to have.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Elotana posted:

Don't read any casebook three days before, that's stupid. Grab some good outlines (or buy some if you're asocial, outlinedepot has drat near everything if your casebook isn't popular enough for commercial outlines), and spend those three days reading those instead. Maybe do some highlighting and tabbing in your book if you already bought it but let the outline be your guide as to what's important.

I really disagree with this. I find that long outlines for open-book exams are a hindrance: you want a short outline, and for the esoteric topics, you want the page number. That means you have the important stuff there, summarized, and when your professor pulls some small detail out you can re-read the four pages in the book and know everything you are expected to know about the subject.

Open book exams are all about information management and accessibility: you have all the information you need, so the trick is getting it as quickly as possible. Get yourself organized so you can easily access the information you need, and know the subject well enough to recognize things well enough to know what to look up.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

Feces Starship posted:

Oh bro, oh bro, the HIGHEST of fives. I didn't even think to look there for some retarded reason.

I <3 u guys

Have you found any outlines that are useful for employment? I haven't, really.

Bathing Jesus
Aug 26, 2003
All this "no book" talk makes me regret coming to a school that has socratic in 99% of classes even through 3L year. Well, that and the constant threat of graded participation.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

prussian advisor posted:

Have you found any outlines that are useful for employment? I haven't, really.
outlineformanwhoring.jpg

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

evilweasel posted:

Open book exams are all about information management and accessibility: you have all the information you need, so the trick is getting it as quickly as possible. Get yourself organized so you can easily access the information you need, and know the subject well enough to recognize things well enough to know what to look up.

The worst is when professors constantly say poo poo like "You need to know this for the exam, you won't have time to look things up." In my 3.5 years of law school I've not had one exam where I was so pressed for time I couldn't look the answers up.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Bathing Jesus posted:

All this "no book" talk makes me regret coming to a school that has socratic in 99% of classes even through 3L year. Well, that and the constant threat of graded participation.

I never understood this. Whenever I hear "graded participation" I always assume that enough of the students wised up to not participating and the law schools is seeking to punish them. Seriously, I didn't participate in a single class unless I wanted to after, like, halfway through first semester.

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Roger_Mudd posted:

The worst is when professors constantly say poo poo like "You need to know this for the exam, you won't have time to look things up." In my 3.5 years of law school I've not had one exam where I was so pressed for time I couldn't look the answers up.

Dunno, if you're one of those dummies that goes in with a 50 page outline I can see having problems

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

hypocrite lecteur posted:

Dunno, if you're one of those dummies that goes in with a 50 page outline I can see having problems

I still don't understand how people make outlines longer than 25 pages for 1L classes. My case briefs for the entire year were between 50-60 pages per class and I briefed every case.

I always had enough time to spend about 5 minutes per hour making sure I worded things correctly or checking a concept against a tabbed outline on practice exams.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Omerta posted:

I still don't understand how people make outlines longer than 25 pages for 1L classes. My case briefs for the entire year were between 50-60 pages per class and I briefed every case.

I always had enough time to spend about 5 minutes per hour making sure I worded things correctly or checking a concept against a tabbed outline on practice exams.

In Wills, I offered to trade a girl my outline for hers. Mine was 40 pages and very thorough. I got it from a friend who took Wills last semester.

She sent me the 179 page outline she made herself complete with all notes taken throughout the semester.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I don't envy you exam takers.

I graduated in 2007 at the bottom of my class from a tier 4 school. Thank god for the federal government hiring.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Beerdeer posted:

I don't envy you exam takers.

I graduated in 2007 at the bottom of my class from a tier 4 school. Thank god for the federal government hiring.

I hate people with the good fortune to graduate at the right time.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Omerta posted:

Most of the outlines on our public outline server clock in at like 80.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

Omerta posted:

Long outlines were popular at UVA but this is because UVA has no exam software and you just open up Word, do a compare side to side setup and F-5 your way through everything or you can hyperlink it if you're ambitious. For international law, there was some crazy master outline that was continuously passed down, it was long as hell, but you just F-5'd the concept you wanted, got to the term, and then just typed the three pages written about the subject pretty much word for word. That was an A exam.

I used to have like 3 or 4 crazy long outlines for each subject that I wouldn't even really look at before the test, plus class notes if I had them. Then during the test - F-5 and take what I like from each one.

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I try to keep my outlines under 15 pages, and won't use one that goes over 20. Can't imagine using one that's 80+ pages. Might as well just bring a highlighted book with a bunch of sticky notes on the important parts and call it a day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
The correct answer is one short outline with the key points, and one triple-digit-pager with all of your notes and poo poo (or well-organized textbook) because there's always that one question that asks you to talk about the third dissent in some random case.