Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

WhyteRyce posted:

I wonder if there is an Owen Antilles
There's an [everyone] Antilles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Casimir Radon posted:

There's an [everyone] Antilles.

What about Indiana Antil- oh wait, there is

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Henrietya_Antilles

quote:

Henrietya Antilles, commonly known as Corellia Antilles, was a Human female xenoarchaeologist who was a student of the historian Bleys Harand. She held the academic title of Doctor and worked mostly for the New Republic. Dr. Antilles specialized in dangerous artifact collection, aka "treasure hunting", and was the New Republic's chief advisor on artifact recovery. She was also the subject of a series of popular holoserials.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

T-1000 posted:

Also the problem that authors have no imagination and just keep rewriting the original trilogy: epic wars between rebels/republic and the ____ Empire, invariably decided by a few guys with magic powers having swordfights, usually during a space battle. I'd be interested to see how many Empires there has been through star wars history that suffered that fate; off the top of my head I can think of about five at least.

I think a bigger problem now is authors just rewriting the prequel trilogy. For whatever godawful reason. Vector Prime seemed really disconnected from the Bantam EU because all of a sudden everyone is trying to imitate the prequel-era Jedi/Republic/etc. KOTOR Jedi are basically carbon copies of the Jedi philosophy from the prequels rather than the far different TOTJ Jedi that existed in that era prior. One of the (many) problems of LOTF was that it was basically just the prequel movies except Anakin and Palpatine get killed at the end. Dark Nest has segments where the OT characters literally sit around and watch holograms of prequel movie scenes. Even Legacy, which I love, really obviously is heavily mired in the prequel plotlines and aesthetics. I guess this makes a bit of sense since it's part of Lucasfilm's constant post-1999 strategy of saturating the market with prequel stuff to convince people they aren't terrible movies/sell as much poo poo as possible, but it's especially annoying when you see all these plots in Bantam era books and comics of Luke and Co. trying to determine what shape their new Jedi and new Republic should be only for it to then go "well, let's just base everything on the same flawed system that led us to this mess in the first place!"

I do like the interpretation that the Republic/Quinlan Vos comics are Ostrander's attempt to show what the journey of Anakin's seduction to the dark side should have been like rather than the shallow poo poo the movies showed.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
Everything I know about Star Wars I learned from the old WEG rpg, which has firmly entrenched in my mind the fact that Jedis aren't really cool. Smugglers and Rebel agents, that's where it's at.

Also, Imperial officers deciding to go warlord during the movie era.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Sometimes I wish my friends were into Table Top stuff, some of the Star Wars RPGs sound pretty awesome :(.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Starhawk64 posted:

Speaking of cannon fodder, are the Stormtroopers supposed to be clones?

It was unclear for a long time. Before The Phantom Menace, it was more or less assumed that they were recruits (the Han Solo trilogy and the Dark Forces books have scenes set in Imperial academies, Luke talks about joining the academy in A New Hope etc).
After Attack of the Clones, official word from Lucasfilm at first was that they are all clones. In fact, I seem to recall George Lucas on the AOTC audio commentary drawing a connection between Jango Fett bumping his head on the Slave One's entry hatch and the Stormtrooper banging his head on a Death Star door in ANH. I think the phrasing was something like "and since they're all clones of Jango..."

Nowadays he seems to have come to his senses (at least where that little bit is concerned). If The Force Unleashed is indeed canon (and if it is, there isn't a :negative: big enough), the second game nevertheless has a neat little dictionary in the menu that gets unlocked bit by bit as you play the game, and this dictionary has an entry under "Stormtrooper" that's basically a diary entry of an old clone trooper bitching about the new recruitment policy and how few clones are left in the service these days (these days being a year or so before ANH).

On a related note, I like how this retroactively makes Leia's "Aren't you a little short for a Stormtrooper?" line in ANH seem to be influenced by the Empire's cloning policy.
:psyduck: Oh poo poo, it IS like poetry!:psyboom:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Question about ESB, where did Luke's ladder go when he left Dagobah?

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

muscles like this? posted:

My only two guesses are A) Yoda used the Force to load it into the X-wing's underside cargo compartment; or B) Luke didn't care about littering so he left it behind.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Oh man, Vortex comes out tuesday. Anyone else as excited for it as I am?! I'm all about riding this poo poo into the ground.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Flagrant Abuse posted:

My only two guesses are A) Yoda used the Force to load it into the X-wing's underside cargo compartment; or B) Luke didn't care about littering so he left it behind.

C) Luke just likes loving with the X-Wing Supplies and Parts Quarter Master of whatever Frigate he is registered at.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
From the Owen Lars Wookiepedia page

quote:

The next morning, Luke left early to find R2-D2, who had run off the night before to find his former "master." Owen and Beru never saw Luke again, for they were killed by Imperial stormtroopers who were looking for R2-D2 on behalf of Owen's stepbrother, Darth Vader, after the droid escaped with the stolen plans for the first Death Star.[4] According to the recollection of stormtrooper Davin Felth, the farmers were killed after Owen spat in the face of the squad's commanding officer, Mod Terrik, they were then each shot with a blaster before their bodies were semi-cremated with a flamethrower. Their execution was ordered by Darth Vader, who watched it via hololink, feeling it was "revenge" for their supposed weakness.

I swear, sometimes there isn't a :facepalm: hard enough for the EU.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Xizor was recording that recording as well, I think.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Mad Hamish posted:

I don't know what the gently caress that is, but I do know that I want to drive one.

Does anyone ever think of something like Pimp My Star Destroyer? You know, a nouveau-riche Imperial warlord gets his hand on a few Imperial-class Star Destroyers and blows a huge amount of credits giving them tiny chandeliers in the bridge, flames coming out the exhaust ports and around the docking bay, chrome reactor covers, ground effect, that sort of thing? Gearshift shaped like a krayt dragon skull and accelerator (ISDs totally have those, right? :v:) shaped like a foot, fuzzy dice hanging from the rear view mirror? He'd pull it up next to the Executor while it's stopped at a red light and make the bow bounce up and down with the inertial dampers. It would be horrible.

There was a rogue squadron book where a characters trade mark color was red, he some how ended up buying a Star Destroyer (maybe a super one) and wanted to paint the entire thing red. Apparently there is not enough red paint in the entire galaxy to do this so he only painted the bridge.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Obviously he left it behind because he was planning on coming back and wanted Yoda to set it up for him when he did. How else was he supposed to get out of his X-Wing if he didn't land it in the swamp again?

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE

Darth Freddy posted:

There was a rogue squadron book where a characters trade mark color was red, he some how ended up buying a Star Destroyer (maybe a super one) and wanted to paint the entire thing red. Apparently there is not enough red paint in the entire galaxy to do this so he only painted the bridge.

Booster Terrik. He managed to get a Star Destroyer to surrender to his barely-armed space station. As for the paint, the only color that came at a reasonable enough price to purchase was "Star Destroyer White."

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Pretty sure Luke left like twenty half eaten ration packs, a power generator and a whole tool set behind on Dagobah. Way to be enviromentally friendly you force sensitive jerk!

Oh, and Blue Milk Special is on Splinter Of A Minds Eye!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Another prequel contradiction from ANH, Obi Wan claims that nobody has called him that since "before (Luke) was born."

Something else that could be also seen as a contradiction is Obi Wan telling Luke that he's to learn the ways of the Force which implies that anybody could do it. Not, "well good thing you were born force sensitive because otherwise you'd never become a Jedi."

Edit: I know Luke thinks Vader redeemed himself in the end but if I was Han or Leia I wouldn't be too happy with him even if he did kill the Emperor. I mean, he still killed Leia's adopted parents AND tortured the gently caress out of both of them.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 29, 2010

A Misandrist Duck
Jun 13, 2005

by Fistgrrl
I don't know if that is really storyline inconsistencies, it can easily just be written off as Obi-Wan just being a crotchety old man.

I watched A New Hope for the first time in forever today, what a great movie. Is there a logical reason there is so little EU set during the Original Trilogy? All the novels seems to be marching further and further into the future.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Walldo posted:

I don't know if that is really storyline inconsistencies, it can easily just be written off as Obi-Wan just being a crotchety old man.

I watched A New Hope for the first time in forever today, what a great movie. Is there a logical reason there is so little EU set during the Original Trilogy? All the novels seems to be marching further and further into the future.

For the most part, I'd imagine it's all just George's playground.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Walldo posted:

Pre ANH or post ANH?

I imagine they are saving space for that TV series that I swear is never going to happen for pre A New Hope.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Something else that could be also seen as a contradiction is Obi Wan telling Luke that he's to learn the ways of the Force which implies that anybody could do it. Not, "well good thing you were born force sensitive because otherwise you'd never become a Jedi."
Even though Midichlorians get a lot of poo poo I think this was evidence from the beginning that Force Sensitivity is partially genetic. Vader was a powerful Force user so his son is by proxy. Obi Wan and Yoda seem to agree on that, even with yoda's "No, there is another" it implies Luke is super special even among people who can use The Force.

quote:

Edit: I know Luke thinks Vader redeemed himself in the end but if I was Han or Leia I wouldn't be too happy with him even if he did kill the Emperor. I mean, he still killed Leia's adopted parents AND tortured the gently caress out of both of them.

Luke and Leia are not really dicks though. They'd probably understand genuine redemption had Vader had the chance to do it.

Edit:

Walldo posted:

Lucas had an embargo on certain aspects of the EU. The 20 years before ANH is one of them, partially to protect the origin of Vader.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

NeonTurtle posted:

Booster Terrik. He managed to get a Star Destroyer to surrender to his barely-armed space station.
To be fair, he made them think it was actually really heavily armed by installing several hundred missile lock systems on it. He just didn't bother installing more than a few actual missile launchers.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Another prequel contradiction from ANH, Obi Wan claims that nobody has called him that since "before (Luke) was born."

After Luke is born in ROTS, no one refers to Kenobi as Obi-Wan, so there's no contradiction there.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The whole Obi-Wan's nickname being Ben was originally going to be brought up in ROTS, during the dicussion between Obi-Wan and Anakin at the start when they're flying their fighters to rescue the Chancellor, but I don't think the particular dialogue was ever filmed, which is good because from what I remember reading of it it was pretty stupid. It was basically something along the lines of "Good flying Ben!" "Don't use my nickname, I don't like it!"

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

NGL posted:

After Luke is born in ROTS, no one refers to Kenobi as Obi-Wan, so there's no contradiction there.

Disembodied Qui-Gon voice, affected by post-mortem senility, couldn't remember his name. Same thing happened with Ghost Vader; he kept calling Luke "Wesley" for some reason.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Chairman Capone posted:

"Good flying Ben!" "Don't use my nickname, I don't like it!"

In my head, I heard this line as if it were in the movie. I could totally see this in the movie, and because of that I'm surprised it wasn't in it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Everytime the awful dialogue of the opening of Revenge Of The Sith surprises me how bad it is when I watch it again and again.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

RagnarokAngel posted:

Even though Midichlorians get a lot of poo poo I think this was evidence from the beginning that Force Sensitivity is partially genetic. Vader was a powerful Force user so his son is by proxy. Obi Wan and Yoda seem to agree on that, even with yoda's "No, there is another" it implies Luke is super special even among people who can use The Force.

Midi-chlorians were a lovely explanation for Force-use that did not satisfactorily address any of the three areas the Force had to do with:

1) genetic disposition to Force-sensitivity
2) mental attributes related to Force-sensitivity
3) "luminous creatures are we, not this crude matter" and the Force-user's ability to vanish into the Force upon death

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Nov 29, 2010

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Flagrant Abuse posted:

The simplest explanation is that the Rebellion doesn't really have access to a whole bunch of shiny new technology and generally takes what scraps they can get their hands on. The Empire, on the other hand, while it's available to them, they prefer a different design aesthetic.

Also the Empire probably operates on the "cheapest supplier" principle, which leaves about 10 $ for the carpet and the paint in the officer's lounge.

Before the Clone Wars started we saw mostly the luxury ships (Queen's yacht, Jedi transport, Chancellor's and Senates ships, rich Trade Federation CEO command ship, Dooku's barge), which are pretty expensive designs. The Clone Wars military ships look a lot more like what we have seen in the OT. It's not so much different from comparing a Lincoln Continental with a today Ford Taurus. The latter might not be much to look at, but technologically it's far ahead of the far more beautiful Lincoln. Or Hemingway's yacht Pilar and a LCS-2 USS Independence to stay with ships.

Or alternatively: The Prequels were filmed in the late Nineties/Early 2000, the OT in the Seventies/Eighties and reflect the design aesthetics/technological possibilities (CRT and buttons vs. TFT and touchscreen) of their time.

Decius fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Nov 29, 2010

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I'm not seeing what the contradiction or problem is here, though...it seems like a typical ruthless villain act that Vader was famous for back then.

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

That whole scene is Obi Wan is lying through his teeth. The same way he claims he never owned a droid (despite owning at least one that served loyally and died gloriously in battle). Or how Anakin would want Luke to have his lightsaber (it's a simpler lie than "I chopped both your Dad's legs off, and one of his arms, allowed him to catch fire then nicked this and left him for dead. But he deserved it, he was evil. Hey, you should come with me to Alderaan."). Or even that he was going to pay Han more when they got to Alderaan (he was probably going to mind trick him and Chewie when they got there. Organa had money but Obi Wan's a dick). And of course the obvious lie of Luke's parentage.

It's all true from a certain point of view when you've been living in a shack in the desert of a craphole planet plotting sweet sweet revenge justice for twenty years.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

arioch posted:

Midi-chlorians were a lovely explanation for Force-use that did not satisfactorily address any of the three areas the Force had to do with:

3) "luminous creatures are we, not this crude matter" and the Force-user's ability to vanish into the Force upon death

Were Midichlorians ever explicitly said to be the source of Force-control, and not a symptom of it? A measure rather than the cause?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

arioch posted:

Sorry, I didnt clarify. Midichlorians got poo poo for a reason. As they stand a numerical method is really stupid, just saying genetic disposition does seem exist even before the prequels. If just anyone could pick it up then the rebels or the empire would train an army of Force users to get an advantage, so in that respect it seems to imply that a rare few can do it, and they hedged their bets on Luke being one of them for a good reason (descendant of a powerful Force user).
This is going off just what the OT seems to show, ignoring EU and such.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Nov 29, 2010

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.

T-1000 posted:

That whole scene is Obi Wan is lying through his teeth.

I see two possibilities, either Obi-Wan was weaving whatever lies he thought necessary to get Luke interested in becoming a Jedi and coming with him or he was just crazy as gently caress and didn't even himself know what was true anymore. Think about it: living for 20 years in the rear end-end of a shithole desert planet all alone, having experienced the loss of everything he ever held dear or valuable and seeing basically everyone he ever knew (except Yoda) getting killed, maimed and slaughtered by his best friend and then fighting said friend and just cutting off his goddamn limbs and leaving him to either die painfully in hot lava or to live out the rest of his days as a quadriplegic, seriously insane Sith lord. If that's not enough to drive a man crazy I don't know what is. Imagine Obi-Wan thinking about that stuff over and over and over again day after day with nothing else to do for twenty loving years. :smith:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

arioch posted:

The more I think about it the more I don't like the idea of "Force sensitivity" being what makes you able to become a Jedi/Force user. It kind of cheapens the idea of the Force being this all encompassing energy and instead just makes it like D&D magic.

I don't mean everyone should be able to run around doing Jedi level stuff but treating the Force like its something you have to be genetically disposed to even feel is stupid.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Seems an appropriate place...

Director of "Empire Strikes Back" Irvin Kershner passes away.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The more I think about it the more I don't like the idea of "Force sensitivity" being what makes you able to become a Jedi/Force user. It kind of cheapens the idea of the Force being this all encompassing energy and instead just makes it like D&D magic.

I don't mean everyone should be able to run around doing Jedi level stuff but treating the Force like its something you have to be genetically disposed to even feel is stupid.

Return of the Jedi posted:

"Luke, don't talk that way! You have a power I don't understand and could never have."

"You're wrong, Leia. You have that power too. In time you'll learn to use it as I have. The Force is strong in my family. My father has it. I have it and. My sister has it."

Stupid or not, that is how it has always been.

CobiWann posted:

Seems an appropriate place...

Director of "Empire Strikes Back" Irvin Kershner passes away.

Balls! First Leslie Nielson and now this.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Mister Roboto posted:

I'm not seeing what the contradiction or problem is here, though...it seems like a typical ruthless villain act that Vader was famous for back then.

No contradiction (besides how the article first states they were shot when they spat in the Troopers face, but then that it was ordered by Vader, but that's just crappy writing), but the issue is that everything has to be connected and looped back. It's not just some random farmers being killed, now it's people Vader knows, having them executed for their weakness from years ago when his mom was kidnapped and he had to save her. It's just unnecessary to have to tie everything up like that.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Balls! First Leslie Nielson and now this.

I know, this totally sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Jerk McJerkface posted:

No contradiction (besides how the article first states they were shot when they spat in the Troopers face, but then that it was ordered by Vader, but that's just crappy writing), but the issue is that everything has to be connected and looped back. It's not just some random farmers being killed, now it's people Vader knows, having them executed for their weakness from years ago when his mom was kidnapped and he had to save her. It's just unnecessary to have to tie everything up like that.

"Lord Vader, they spat at me! May I execute them?"

"Sure, whatever."