Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
I just got this text from a Chinese lady-friend:

攀爀 眀攀搀渀攀猀搀愀礀縀

I ran it through google translation and one or two more online tools, but the most they could get out of it was "countenance" and "supports by the arm".

Can someone tell me what it means?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

WillieWestwood posted:

This one? Found on GIS, from The Daily Painter (already sold)

No. Very similar style but a lot more browns. There could possibly have been a grain silo in there somewhere. I'm gonna make an SA-mart thraed so I don't clutter this one up.

econdroidbot
Mar 1, 2008

AS USELESS AS A HAT FULL OF BUSTED ASSHOLES
What the hell! I just clicked on a Glenn Beck banner ad at the bottom of the page while browsing the forums here, and it DIDN'T take me to a thread that was making fun of him! (I was very disappointed.) Instead, it took me to an amazon.com page that was selling his latest book.

My question is this: Is there a strong overlap between SA members and Glenn Beck fans, or are the ads randomly served?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

KittenofDoom posted:

I just got this text from a Chinese lady-friend:

攀爀 眀攀搀渀攀猀搀愀礀縀

I ran it through google translation and one or two more online tools, but the most they could get out of it was "countenance" and "supports by the arm".

Can someone tell me what it means?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2683932

is the CHinese language thread if you get no answers here.

thefoozl
Nov 9, 2010
I have hedgehogs that keep coming and stealing my cats food. My wife doesn't particularly want them dead. So how should I best get rid of them without spending any money?

My best idea so far is to pick them up with some large tongs and put them in a bucket, then dump them elsewhere.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

thefoozl posted:

I have hedgehogs that keep coming and stealing my cats food. My wife doesn't particularly want them dead. So how should I best get rid of them without spending any money?

My best idea so far is to pick them up with some large tongs and put them in a bucket, then dump them elsewhere.

Put the cat bowl on a chair?

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

thefoozl posted:

Send them to me because I love hedgehogs and can't get them in my state? :ohdear:

I'm confused though, are they pets or some kind of natural pests wherever you are? Where is this cat bowl and why can't you put it on an elevated place? I used to have a pet hedgehog and we always kept him in a container with woodchips unless we were playing with him, not just let him run loose.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

Elijya posted:

Send them to me because I love hedgehogs and can't get them in my state? :ohdear:

I was going to say the exact same thing. Where do you live OP?

thefoozl
Nov 9, 2010
I think I live a little bit far away to give them to you guys (sorry). Probably about nine hours flight.

They're definitely not pets. One just started turning up late at night, knocking over the food and water. This one was dubbed 'Hedgie. Another turned up some weeks/months later, this one was named 'Hedgina'. I'm just sick of having to clean up the mess they make most nights and of feeding an animal I don't even get to pat!

One of my cats is getting really old, and that's why I can't put it up too high. In fact, it's already on a slightly raised platform. Apparently it's not quite raised enough :< But I think I may be able to find a place high enough.

I never knew people had hedgehogs as pests :s They've always just been strange animals that run around late at night. Then again, they may be the reason I never see any slugs or snails on my garden..

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:
Edit: Nevermind~

Vic Boss fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Nov 28, 2010

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

thefoozl posted:

If you do this please post a video of the hedgehog bucket.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Elijya posted:

Not much of a baseball fan, but this one's easy. A pitcher is supposed to throw the baseball through the "strike zone", an invisible rectangle region where the batter could reasonably hit the ball. If the pitcher throws the ball outside this area - say too far away from the batter or too close to him or too high - and the batter sees this and declines to swing, it's a ball. If the baseball does pass through this region and the batter declines to swing, it's a strike. The umpire stands behind the plate to determine if the ball passes through the strike zone. If the batter swings and misses no matter where the baseball is, it's a strike.

3 strikes and the batter is out, 4 balls and the batter takes a walk and gets to 1st base for free (pushing any player who's already on 1st base to 2nd and so forth). Sometimes the pitcher will intentionally walk the batter and throw 4 balls to the catcher way to the side of the batting plate, usually if the batter is a very good player and there's a man on 3rd base who would score if the batter makes a hit.

Also if a batter hits a foul ball (a ball hit outside the two outermost lines on the field) or tips it (barely grazes the ball) he gets a strike.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Pontius Pilate posted:

Also if a batter hits a foul ball (a ball hit outside the two outermost lines on the field) or tips it (barely grazes the ball) he gets a strike.

Unless he already has two strikes, I think. I don't think a player can go out on a ball hit outside the line, unless it's caught.

Excavation
May 18, 2004

FEED ME CRAYONS
Why do FM stations all end on an odd number after the decimal point? 101.9, 104.3, etc.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Coupon Wizard posted:

Why do FM stations all end on an odd number after the decimal point? 101.9, 104.3, etc.

Radio signals work by taking the sound wave that you want to transmit and "modulating" it with a wave that is the frequency that you're allowed to broadcast on. Due to the way the radio technology works, you don't hit exactly the radio frequency band that you're aiming for; instead, you transmit over a channel with a certain bandwidth. Radio stations in the United States are given a target frequency of an odd-number (104.3 MHz), and are given +/- 0.075 MHz worth of deviation. That way, if 104.3 is actually transmitting at 104.375, and 104.5 is actually transmitting at 104.425, there's still enough empty bandwidth between the two to prevent interference.

As to why odd instead of even... they just had to pick one?

Excavation
May 18, 2004

FEED ME CRAYONS

Gravity Pike posted:

Radio signals work by taking the sound wave that you want to transmit and "modulating" it with a wave that is the frequency that you're allowed to broadcast on. Due to the way the radio technology works, you don't hit exactly the radio frequency band that you're aiming for; instead, you transmit over a channel with a certain bandwidth. Radio stations in the United States are given a target frequency of an odd-number (104.3 MHz), and are given +/- 0.075 MHz worth of deviation. That way, if 104.3 is actually transmitting at 104.375, and 104.5 is actually transmitting at 104.425, there's still enough empty bandwidth between the two to prevent interference.

As to why odd instead of even... they just had to pick one?

Cool, I was just curious as I asked a mate today and he said it was done to make people with OCD feel uncomfortable.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL

Coupon Wizard posted:

Cool, I was just curious as I asked a mate today and he said it was done to make people with OCD feel uncomfortable.
I think I like this explanation better.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Does anyone have any experience with the mail forwarding services for getting stuff from America.

I want to buy something from Amazon and they won't post it to Australia. MyUS.com seems popular but shipping seems really expensive.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Coupon Wizard posted:

Well, in Europe, they transmit on even frequencies (101.4, 98.8, etc). I'm not sure why the do it on even in that part of the world, I assume there's some sort of treaty involved.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

In Denmark (which is in Europe) we have both even and uneven frequencies.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Elijya posted:

Unless he already has two strikes, I think. I don't think a player can go out on a ball hit outside the line, unless it's caught.

Yeah, that's right. Forgot to mention it. Also, if the catcher catches the tipped ball on two strikes it's an out.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!
Is it possible to have a stand-in wedding?
Let's say one party of the wedding can't make it to the actual wedding date for whatever reason. Is it possible to authorize a third party to formalize the wedding?

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

Lollerich posted:

Is it possible to have a stand-in wedding?
Let's say one party of the wedding can't make it to the actual wedding date for whatever reason. Is it possible to authorize a third party to formalize the wedding?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_marriage

Usually used when one partner is away in the military. The immigration services may say it isn't valid until you've had the opportunity to consummate the marriage (whether or not you actually do).

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Fists Up posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the mail forwarding services for getting stuff from America.

I want to buy something from Amazon and they won't post it to Australia. MyUS.com seems popular but shipping seems really expensive.

Make a SAMart thread? Im sure someone wouldnt mind dong this for a small fee, or maybe you can send them stuff from your country, like Tim Tam's!

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Zegnar posted:

The immigration services may say it isn't valid until you've had the opportunity to consummate the marriage (whether or not you actually do).

I always wonder what this means.

Does anal sex count?

Oral sex?

Hand jobs?

Cuddling?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Fists Up posted:

Commercial solutions use shipping companies who track pretty much exclusively. TO get it done cheap you have to use mail, whihc means asking someone private to send it for you.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

kapalama posted:

Does anal sex count?

Oral sex?

Hand jobs?

Cuddling?
Seriously, that is of great interest to me too.

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

kapalama posted:

Does anal sex count?

Oral sex?

Hand jobs?

Cuddling?

Like I said, I don't think they care whether you actually have, only whether you have actually had the opportunity to (ie seeing them in person). This is all vaguely remembered from an article I read about a soldier who died after a proxy marriage but before returning from duty.

Zegnar fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 28, 2010

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If you're having that argument the marriage is already over.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Really specific and strange question, but maybe someone can answer in a general way. This has been in my head for weeks.

So, there's a company that makes pickles, called Clausen's. I always remembered really liking Clausen's dill spears, but when I would buy them at the grocery store, they never tasted like I remembered. Then sometimes, my mom would bring them home from Costco and they'd be fantastic.

I then realized that the Clausen dill spears in the regular-sized glass jars are kind of average, somewhat bland pickles. But the economy sized ones in plastic jugs are divine dill pickle heaven.

What difference does the size/material of the jar make? Is it because there's more brining fluid? I think the spears in the econo-jug are bigger, too, so maybe they're made from a different kind of cucumber to start with?

Pickle questions.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Why is it that insulating materials tend to be fibrous/fuzzy/fluffy/etc. instead of just consistently solid?

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

OneEightHundred posted:

Why is it that insulating materials tend to be fibrous/fuzzy/fluffy/etc. instead of just consistently solid?
Simply put, the little air voids among the fibers are what actually do the insulating while the fibers themselves restrict airflow. Also, since the material isn't solid, it weighs less and is simpler to install in awkwardly-shaped spaces.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Zegnar posted:

Like I said, I don't think they care whether you actually have, only whether you have actually had the opportunity to (ie seeing them in person). This is all vaguely remembered from an article I read about a soldier who died after a proxy marriage but before returning from duty.

As I recall, the soldiers wife was an immigrant, and it raised some concerns about whether or not she should now be a citizen. Anyone know how that story ended?

Dandy Cat
Mar 21, 2008
I fell this weekend and busted my rear end. I bruised my coccyx really badly and I'm trying to find a place to buy a donut cushion. Does anyone have any ideas where I can pick one up? I tried looking online at CVS and Walgreens and I couldn't find any in stores. I have to go back to work tomorrow so I need something comfortable to sit on or I'm going to be miserable.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Dandy Cat posted:

I fell this weekend and busted my rear end. I bruised my coccyx really badly and I'm trying to find a place to buy a donut cushion. Does anyone have any ideas where I can pick one up? I tried looking online at CVS and Walgreens and I couldn't find any in stores. I have to go back to work tomorrow so I need something comfortable to sit on or I'm going to be miserable.

A medical supply store will have one, although I'm surprised you couldn't find one at a drug store.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Pricey, but you could always have one overnight delivered from Amazon

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I had surgery and needed an IV hooked up to me for 5 days. Im on my last day. Instead of staying in the hospital, in Canada we have organizations that will bring a nurse to your home once a day to change the bag, clean your dressings and make sure everything is ok.

Second day in, and my IV ran out. Called once an hour starting at 8PM to let them know. The operators said they cant get a hold of the nurse and will keep trying. 3AM rolls around and a nurse finally calls me and tells me she cant make it out, but will tell me how to change my IV myself, along with programming the machine that hangs around my neck.

I stayed very calm and nice through this because its late and I wanted to sleep. I called the next day and complained, letting them know what happened. The nurse didn't know the names of some of the buttons on the machine while I was on he phone with her, and didn't know how to lock the machine so I wouldn't roll on it while sleeping and gently caress with it. I was also the one to figure out how to start the IV - she said just to press the start button (which did nothing) and when she was trying to think of how to actually do it, I already held down the Start button which did work. She said "oh yeah! Hold it down, so sorry!"

They even admitted to being wrong, and come Monday they will launch an investigation into this. I have no problem confronting people when they do wrong, and do not let people push me around, and I want some justice out of this. I told them I am not a nurse or doctor and shouldn't be in charge of doing these things when I'm sick and under painkillers, and regardless of that, the nurse --never showed up--

While I am not money hungry, and am more doing this to set them straight, but wondering if this could lead to any compensation on my part. Imagine I was an elderly man who couldn't read the tiny loving font on the machine, or just someone who wasn't techy in general?

I think I can seek legal aid in this - you guys think its worth it?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Dandy Cat posted:

Just so you know there are some support groups out there with all kinds of tips and tricks. I busted my cocyx, and since I commute by bicycle that was a major hassle. But the online community found me a split seat that made it work.

Dandy Cat
Mar 21, 2008

kapalama posted:

Just so you know there are some support groups out there with all kinds of tips and tricks. I busted my cocyx, and since I commute by bicycle that was a major hassle. But the online community found me a split seat that made it work.

Just a google search away? Or do you have any places in particular that you know about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

Fists Up posted:

What are you trying to get? I live right near a post office and could probably help you out. PM me or email me Sublimejoe AT gmail