Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Really Big Shoe
Sep 11, 2001

HEY HOW DID THIS SHOE GET ON MY LAP ITS SO BIG OH GOD SEND HELP

jdsalmon posted:

Anyone happen to know if Fred Meyer is getting another round of Series 3 minifigs early?

Apparently Fred Meyer and a few other random retailers had an agreement with LEGO to have one small burst shipment early and that is it. LEGO Stores still wont see them until January, along with pretty much everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010
Ok, guys, I did it. It's all your fault.
I spend money on toys for little kids and bought myself the moon limo (on sale, but still for 30 Euros... Lego is kind of expensive here, isn't it?).
I've built the set, "whooshed" it around, took the set apart and started to build a jet-propelled glider plane, then rebuild the limo cause I was afraid that I lost a lot of parts in my long, black carpet... so, good play-value for money.

That is my first set for at least 15 years, but all my other Lego stuff should be still around at my mother's house (and I had a lot, e.g. large pirates' ship, M-Tron stuff, "ModelTeam" sets), so I must now find a way of transporting many kilos of Lego for 500 km by train.
Arrgh, I don't have the space, the time or the money to go back into Lego. At least, my better half seems to be understanding the need of going back (up to now).

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Lego is a virus as much as a toy. A lot of my relatives and friends have mentioned digging their stuff out of the attic, you know, 'just for nostalgia's sake' after visiting us and seeing our stuff.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Really Big Shoe posted:

Apparently Fred Meyer and a few other random retailers had an agreement with LEGO to have one small burst shipment early and that is it. LEGO Stores still wont see them until January, along with pretty much everyone else.

drat, that sucks :(

I did get the Troll Castle today at Target, anyone get anything good today?

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

I thought about going to the LEGO store near me for the coupon they were running, but I'm only really interested in the medieval calendar, and even then, meh. If I though they had the new explorers I would have gone.

I did end up at Toys 'R Us at 11pm, just for the sake of seeing the craziness. It was a madhouse, and I really, really hope those employees were getting more than just overtime.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Ugh. I've just spent the last 5 hours or so sorting. I have a tub about 48"x18"x12", and it was full, along with a few other partly-filled boxes and tubs, of just mixed stuff. Spread out a blanket on the floor and dumped everything out.
It's just a rough sort now--plates, bricks/slopes, and miscellaneous, but it's still slow going. I wish I had that sort-by-size stackable graded mesh thing; it'd make this a bit easier.
I started out just grabbing and tossing pieces into their designated bins, but realized it'd probably be easier to just hunt for one specific category through a segment of the pile, then follow up with a 'cleanup' to remove some of the larger pieces of the other categories, then go back to the first one.
Hope to finish the rough sort this weekend. Don't think I'll let it get this bad again!

Bophf
Sep 10, 2006

well I oh

kensei posted:

drat, that sucks :(

I did get the Troll Castle today at Target, anyone get anything good today?

Yeah, my husband and I got the Troll Castle this morning as well. We had agreed on just the Castle before we went in, then after I ran to electronics to get the 2 TB harddrives, I went back to the cart and noticed that he put the Space Police Galactic Enforcer in there, too. :raise: But at $65 each, it's pretty much worth the impulse buy.

Much later in the day we went to the Lego store and got Creationary for $1.59 in total after $30 in VIP points and a 10% discount, wee.

On sorting through tubs, I went through a really old tub of Lego and stuff not long ago and was able to come by about a dozen or so batteries that should have been thrown out in 1996. That, and really disgusting tootsie rolls, or what I pray to God was tootsie rolls. :gonk: The things people do for Lego.

Ted Stevens
Jun 2, 2007

by T. Finn
poo poo. I just caved in and bought the Imperial Flagship. It was on sale at LEGO and I had a $10 discount for the set, so it was (relatively) cheap. Free shipping, too!

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Good show! It's a great display piece and gives you the itch to build a coastal fort.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

So I finally resized some of those photos and uploaded them to brickshelf. My collection is mostly from the early 90's with lots of basic bricks, so MOCs are less 'awesome SNOTing' and more 'what if LEGO licensed The 5th Element around the time the movie came out?' They're a bit bulky. :shobon: Also, because I have relatively few pieces, I can't make any improvements on most of the MOCs, because they've already been taken apart.

From oldest to newest (roughly):

A sci-fi hotrod with a side-car. Featuring two angry dudes. More

A small modular transport which was never fully completed. More

A space fighter. Really basic but I like the top fin. More

Another fighter, inspired by the Myrmidon found in Freespace 2. I looks nothing like that ship but I like how it turned out. More

Another civilian vessel, a space limousine. Tried to make something less shaped like a box, failed utterly. More

There were once in the Lego space community people who built MOCs dedicated to different 'factions'. This one was meant as an AWACS ship for The Red Bloc, a soviet-inspired faction. More

In a world where there are flying cars and skyskrapers reach several km into the sky, what would a firetruck look like? Well, for starters it would have a horizontal ladder and a steel fence in the front, to protect against attacks from the underclass youth/mutants of the future dystopia. More

A high security transport, transporting the precious commodities of the future -kittens! More

Fixed

Captain Scandinaiva fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Nov 28, 2010

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

So I finally resized some of those photos and uploaded them to brickshelf.

You've got some redundant HTML in your whole post, it opens the image in a new window and two more windows with the gallery the picture is in. Also if you're gonna use brickshelf for your own pics, you don't need to host them on waffleimages, just click on the image in your gallery until you get it by itself, then copy the address. Then paste it in your post like this: [img] http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ragnarock01/Odds-n-ends/landfillsurvivor.jpg [/img] without the spaces. It'll look like this:

If you want them thumbnailed, use [timg] and [/timg]:

This way you're not uploading things twice, and you only have to copy&paste once. Anyway, your stuff is blocky but that's hard to get away from if you don't have a lot of pieces. Keep experimenting and look out for new sets on sale, especially Creator sets. They have tons of SNOT parts and angled bricks that will help you go beyond flying bricks. You've got nice ideas so don't be afraid to get new parts and expand your palet.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

InfinEight posted:

You've got some redundant HTML in your whole post, it opens the image in a new window and two more windows with the gallery the picture is in. Also if you're gonna use brickshelf for your own pics, you don't need to host them on waffleimages, just click on the image in your gallery until you get it by itself, then copy the address. Then paste it in your post like this: [timg] http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ragnarock01/Odds-n-ends/landfillsurvivor.jpg [/timg] without the spaces. It'll look like this:

If you want them thumbnailed, use [timg] and [/timg]:

This way you're not uploading things twice, and you only have to copy&paste once. Anyway, your stuff is blocky but that's hard to get away from if you don't have a lot of pieces. Keep experimenting and look out for new sets on sale, especially Creator sets. They have tons of SNOT parts and angled bricks that will help you go beyond flying bricks. You've got nice ideas so don't be afraid to get new parts and expand your palet.

Thanks. :) I tried using [timg] and using images as links at the same time, that's what hosed it up.

I'm slowly building up a better collection, got the new Republic Gunship (sweet new hinges!) and Wind Turbine Transport plus bits and pieces from Ebay. But those darn stickers make you kinda want you to keep your sets in one piece for as long as possible.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
Easy solution: Never use stickers. I don't.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Went to TRU today and picked up the two new Atlantis sets they had: the $10 7977 Seabed Strider and $20 7978 Angler Attack. They both have new parts:
Hammerhead and big-jaw fish minifig 'helmets', a sweet transred minifig head that's 90% sharp teeth, a vertical-grooved 2x2 cylinder brick (like the 1x2 bricks with the grooves running up/down and side/side), a 1x2 plate with a vertical clip (with a stress notch at the bottom and the plastic surrounding the clip is slightly lower than the rest of the plate. There's a notch at the back of the clip that's half the height of the plate) and new colors for the Atlantis crew--yellow highlights, gray helmet, dark gray uniform.
There's also a nifty bronze fishman helmet with the Angler set.

Went to my local Fred Meyer on the way home and they finally had S3 figures out; about a box and a handful left. The Android minifig app just updated with S3, so I went looking for fills. Got the two Hula dancers I wanted, another Elf instead of the fisherman I thought I had identified with the dots and bag-feel, and a tennis player.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006
Finished my Vic Viper, finally. I had been waiting on the 2x2 round tile for the nose for about two weeks.

It lights up!

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Pyroclastic posted:

Went to my local Fred Meyer on the way home and they finally had S3 figures out; about a box and a handful left.

Yeah, I went to FM tonight and tried the dot method and am short the fisherman, Indian, Alien and Boom Box Guy. I do have extra elves and others tho.

quote:

The Android minifig app just updated with S3, so I went looking for fills. Got the two Hula dancers I wanted, another Elf instead of the fisherman I thought I had identified with the dots and bag-feel, and a tennis player.

What is this Android minifig app?

e: I found it, cool. Maybe this will help me more.

kensei fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Nov 28, 2010

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Finished my Vic Viper, finally. I had been waiting on the 2x2 round tile for the nose for about two weeks.

It lights up!

That is hella butt nice.

DoktorVerderben
Nov 23, 2009

I found it... beneath me.
I managed to find some more of my old Lego today, and thought I would share. I bought a bunch of the Throwbots stuff when it came out, and made a bunch of odd things with them. The first was sort of a Battletech style mech:

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

I also found this scorpion robot:

I had a ton of these and made a lot more things which I must have around here somewhere, I even ended up making some of them sort of into Transformers, with 2 different "modes" they could be changed between. I'll have to look some more later.

I also made my first new spaceship since I started pulling out my old stuff, which I think turned out rather well:

DrunkDalek
May 20, 2003

Drinking beer to make music to drink beer to.
I hit the Fred Meyer in NE Portland tonight on the way home from the gym and they had 3 boxes of S2 figs, so I picked up an explorer and a skier. The price had increased to $3 as well.

I still want a hula girl & a fisherman from S3.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Shuppiluliumas posted:

It lights up!

Wow. What did use for lighting?

Mr. Kamikaze
Jul 30, 2005

This turtle doesn't stop spinning.

kensei posted:

Yeah, I went to FM tonight and tried the dot method and am short the fisherman, Indian, Alien and Boom Box Guy. I do have extra elves and others tho.

Are the elves really rare or something? Bricklink only has two sellers that actually have them, and the cheapest is nearly eight dollars.

It happens to be the only minifig I want from this series, too. :sigh:

ssergE
Sep 10, 2001

No longer a stupid baby. Now a stupid teenager.
Not much technics talk here? Let me add some.
Can I just say I a great weekend; I bought myself sets 8053 (big extending crane) and 8052 (truck with skip +motors). Now I have a severe case of lego-itis (sore back and fingertips).

8052 was a bit of a disappointment once finished. The mechanism didn't quite work right, but the set is a good source of beams and a motor + power supply (but no switch). That was Saturday.

The majority of Sunday was spend setting up 8053 (the crane). I gotta say this has been the most enjoyable build I have done in some time, and I would have spend approx. 7 hours doing it (watching tv/dvd at the same time). Now it is finished I am going to disassemble 8052 and pinch its motor to make 8053 powered! Oh yeah!

Love being a big kid.

I think this week will be spent disassembling other technic sets and seeing what I can make. I have a good supply of linear actuators, pneumatics and other cool stuff. I will probably resort to a making GBS threads scissor-lift tho.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

jdsalmon posted:

I hit the Fred Meyer in NE Portland tonight on the way home from the gym and they had 3 boxes of S2 figs, so I picked up an explorer and a skier. The price had increased to $3 as well.

I still want a hula girl & a fisherman from S3.

Hey oregoon! I have an extra hula girl, PM me.

Mr. Kamikaze posted:

Are the elves really rare or something? Bricklink only has two sellers that actually have them, and the cheapest is nearly eight dollars.

It happens to be the only minifig I want from this series, too. :sigh:

I ended up with four, so I would be willing to part with one. PM me.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Wow. What did use for lighting?

A pair of the Bionicle glowy sword things, no doubt.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

A pair of the Bionicle glowy sword things, no doubt.

Four, to be exact. There are two on each fork. I posted about it in the last thread, but my club was invited to Headquarters in Enfield after doing a show for Lego last year (Kidsfest). At that time they had about 100 K-8 boxes, which are pretty big, full of random Lego. Mostly it was sets from ~2004-2006 that had been deconstructed and had their basic pieces removed for kids' build events. I got about 50 of those light up swords figuring, 'when else will I be able to do that?'

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
What are these glowing swords, exactly?
Sounds like something I might need to pick up.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Flavor Bear posted:

What are these glowing swords, exactly?
Sounds like something I might need to pick up.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=bion013c01

That's the one I used. There are different colored ones. Just poke around "parts:bionicle" and you'll find them.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Crosspost from the PYF Funny pics thread

SubbyMinx
Dec 30, 2009
I have just worked out that Lego is a LOT cheaper in the US than it is in the UK. The exchange rate is such at the moment that I can buy sets in the US for about 2/3rds of the UK price. This is comparing the US and UK prices given by shop.lego.com.

Dear lord - someone please help my bank account while I'm here in the US. I have a horrible feeling I'll need to take about 5 cases of stuff back with me at the end of this year!

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Four, to be exact. There are two on each fork. I posted about it in the last thread, but my club was invited to Headquarters in Enfield after doing a show for Lego last year (Kidsfest). At that time they had about 100 K-8 boxes, which are pretty big, full of random Lego. Mostly it was sets from ~2004-2006 that had been deconstructed and had their basic pieces removed for kids' build events. I got about 50 of those light up swords figuring, 'when else will I be able to do that?'

Well that is a helluva thing. How do you press the buttons to make them glow? It looks like you have those covered up.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Shuppiluliumas posted:

It lights up!

:aaa: That is beautiful.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Well that is a helluva thing. How do you press the buttons to make them glow? It looks like you have those covered up.

So glad you asked! There's a 2x2 turntable top under each pair of 1x8 tiles on the side. The little pin on the bottom of it is perfect for pushing the buttons as they're kind of recessed. It'd be a pain to try and push four of them at the same time otherwise. Plus, they were ugly when exposed.

Thanks for the compliments BTW. Seeing as I mostly make models, I'm never really sure how any original MOCs I make will turn out.

Mr. Kamikaze
Jul 30, 2005

This turtle doesn't stop spinning.

kensei posted:

I ended up with four, so I would be willing to part with one. PM me.

Your mailbox is currently full.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Mr. Kamikaze posted:

Your mailbox is currently full.

Not anymore!

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

SubbyMinx posted:

I have just worked out that Lego is a LOT cheaper in the US than it is in the UK. The exchange rate is such at the moment that I can buy sets in the US for about 2/3rds of the UK price. This is comparing the US and UK prices given by shop.lego.com.

Dear lord - someone please help my bank account while I'm here in the US. I have a horrible feeling I'll need to take about 5 cases of stuff back with me at the end of this year!

You forgot taxes, not sure if UK has them included in the displayed price, but in the US price on the website is without taxes. And then you need to consider the 1000000$ per gram overweight charge for the return flights.

E: forget taxes, I think US doesn't need to pay taxes for online shopping, unlike here.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Ika posted:

E: forget taxes, I think US doesn't need to pay taxes for online shopping, unlike here.

Depends on whether or not the online store has physical operations in the state in which the product will ultimately be delivered to...

i.e. California residents pay taxes on Newegg purchases, everyone pays taxes on Best Buy purchases, etc.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

zenintrude posted:

Depends on whether or not the online store has physical operations in the state in which the product will ultimately be delivered to...

i.e. California residents pay taxes on Newegg purchases, everyone pays taxes on Best Buy purchases, etc.
Living in WA sucks. I hate getting taxed for Amazon purchases.

Anyway, for the two people here who read this thread but not Brothers Brick, check this poo poo:

http://sariel.pl/2010/10/leopard-2a4/

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007
What's going on with the Propeller Power creator set? I saw it all over the place last week, but now it seems to have disappeared everywhere, and is up to forty bucks on amazon. Was it a black friday sale item or something? It's crazy how fast it disappeared.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

Dr. Platypus posted:

What's going on with the Propeller Power creator set? I saw it all over the place last week, but now it seems to have disappeared everywhere, and is up to forty bucks on amazon. Was it a black friday sale item or something? It's crazy how fast it disappeared.

It might have been, it shows in stock at my local tru's.

I've been bitten by the minifig bug.. I got series 2 and am looking for series 1, any one got a spare set they'd part with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizureman
Dec 27, 2009

FABULOUS
Inspired by this thread, I downloaded LDD and made a Vic Viper. I have a feeling I'm gonna waste a lot of time in LDD.

Click here for the full 1280x863 image.

Wings in crazy mode

Wasp color scheme