Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Bats posted:

Obviously sir, you underestimate the power of goon asshattery. =/

------

Speaking of 'unpopular' games... what's with all the Spore hate? You know I didn't really follow the hype much, just saw a bunch of videos of really neat poo poo you could do, then I waited and a game came out and I ended up buying and playing the poo poo out of that game. It wasn't perfect by any means, and the space stage definitely needed tweaking (hooray for awesome mod support) but the actual user generated content that could populate your galaxy and just the different places you could explore made me love that game. Well also once you had a full suit of terraforming tools and could even use them as weapons. Don't like an alien race? Commit genocide against their planets until they surrender at your feet. Then force them to do a trade route so they become friendly with you. Then suck all the atmosphere off of their main planet.

I hope one day it becomes a good ole game we see on gog dangit =E

EA better get off their asses and join GoG quick. I don't know what they are doing when even Activision and Ubisoft (their two biggest competitors) are there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Bats posted:

Speaking of 'unpopular' games... what's with all the Spore hate? You know I didn't really follow the hype much, just saw a bunch of videos of really neat poo poo you could do, then I waited and a game came out and I ended up buying and playing the poo poo out of that game.
Each section of the game was pretty entertaining. One thing I didn't like, however, was the relatively shallow nature that restricted everything with the exception of the microscopic and space stages.

In the Creature bit, you just make friends or fight things, and the body parts you attach are almost entirely for stat purposes so they limit your creativity. The Tribe and Civilization portions are also super straightforward. Good, but not a lot to them.

Space felt weird because there were a ton of things to do, but the lack of depth or meaningful interactions and choices earlier on made me feel pretty detached. Sure, I could see some neat new creatures if I explored, but everything was so gamey that I didn't really care. All I saw were the systems in place, so nothing felt new.

Not following any of the pre-release stuff was a good move, because they REALLY made it seem like you would create a species then guide them through evolution in a true sandbox with dynamic AI. That was the original plan, but even after they realized that chopping things up into easier to understand minigames would sell more copies to a wider audience, they stringed people along who assumed it was still going to be a sim.

I remember a few goons e-mailing Wil to ask about all sorts of crazy evolutionary situations that might pop up in a dynamic world and he'd reply "sure, that sounds possible", without adding "if you add a beak that's +2 to a particular stat and do a dance five or six times".

Corin Tucker's Stalker fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Nov 29, 2010

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The MSJ posted:

EA better get off their asses and join GoG quick. I don't know what they are doing when even Activision and Ubisoft (their two biggest competitors) are there.

Are we talking about the same EA that DRMed the cluster-gently caress out of C&C 4? Because I don't think they would be willing to sell any of their old stuff using GoG's business model.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

Are we talking about the same EA that DRMed the cluster-gently caress out of C&C 4? Because I don't think they would be willing to sell any of their old stuff using GoG's business model.

Then again, Ubisoft.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

The MSJ posted:

Do Activision and Ubisoft have their own download service though? Hell, it took EA awhile to get on STEAM and even then it was only for full-priced Spore games (at the time). If they're going to release their classic titles, I'm sure they'd do it on their own storefront. :(

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

For those who got Temple of Elemental Evil a while back, the Circle Of Eight pack has updated just recently. Fixes, tweaks and another dozen maps added to the City of Verbobonc expansion.

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]
This might have been covered when ToEE first appeared on GoG but as a complete D&D game newbie, how would you rate the 'new content' in this patch? I'm sure you'll agree that's usually code for 'we added a ton of disjointed poo poo' but I'm prepared for this to be an exception.

Also pre-emptively: do you have a link to the patch download because this isn't exactly obvious to me right now looking at the CO8 forum. I'm perfectly prepared to believe it's staring me right in the face though :shobon:
edit: It was in your post :downs:

Hidden Asbestos fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Nov 29, 2010

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Hidden Asbestos posted:

This might have been covered when ToEE first appeared on GoG but as a complete D&D game newbie, how would you rate the 'new content' in this patch? I'm sure you'll agree that's usually code for 'we added a ton of disjointed poo poo' but I'm prepared for this to be an exception.

Also pre-emptively: do you have a link to the patch download because this isn't exactly obvious to me right now looking at the CO8 forum. I'm perfectly prepared to believe it's staring me right in the face though :shobon:
edit: It was in your post :downs:

ToEE is the opposite of what you are expecting. It was a ton of disjointed poo poo before. I'm told the patch greatly improves the game to the point where it is basically essential: no reason not to use it.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Drox posted:

ToEE is the opposite of what you are expecting. It was a ton of disjointed poo poo before. I'm told the patch greatly improves the game to the point where it is basically essential: no reason not to use it.
Note that the patch really does *NOTHING* to aid you in learning the system. It has a very brutal learning curve, and the in-game help needs to be accessed via a "D&D Encyclopedia" - there are really no tool-tips. It's very faithful to table-top 3.5e, right down to the 12 some actions you can do OUTSIDE of using feats (ready vs approach, ready vs retreat, charge, 5 step move, move, etc). The context sensitive interface wheel is especially atrocious, but you'll have to get used to it. Pro-tip: you can shortcut abilities on the wheel with shift+<key> - I believe you have to define <key> in the options though. These short-cuts work across the party - so shortcut things like 5 step.

The problem with ToEE is that the intro village is just abyssmal. At one point, the patch tried to remedy a few issues in the village (nonsensical quests and such), but they rolled quite a few of those back for one reason or another. There are still a few (like the goblin and the ring got changed) because they *REALLY* made no sense at all in the vanilla game.

I can't stress just how absolutely lovely the start of ToEE is, it is simply unreal. Bad voice acting, bad story telling, and about 5 hours of fetch quests if you are truly new to the game. It's so bad, that it seems most ToEE vets just skip it entirely and go straight to the Moathouse, essentially doing a level 3-4 event at level 1.

The combat is really rewarding though, but you will be very frustrated if you are completely new to D&D as the game doesn't do a lot to help you. You can't even access the little D&D encyclopedia at the time of character creation to explain the specifics on some feats and such (however if you view an already created character, you can look at a feat and then access the encyclopedia there and then search on everything you might be interested in). The game also has no problem in letting you take redundant feats (proficiencies mostly) by accident, due to the way racial feats interact with class feats.

Also don't do point-buy, I can't remember what the standard rate for point buy was at the time, but 25 is major loving punishing for starter ToEE'ers.

re - New Content: It's not really disjointed since they packed most of it into its own special city. There are some other extra stuff here and there (respawning stuff in Moathouse for example - which is basically a bonus encounter) but nothing excessive. They redo a lot of fights to make them better. Use the patch no matter what, and you can just ignore the bonus city which is the "flavorful unbalanced content". Nothing about those extra encounters in the city is balanced, but it's fairly good fun if you like ToEE. It looks like they made some changes to the Slavers stuff, as that was one of the more bullshity bonus contents (unavoidable random party mate death what the gently caress :V).

[e]Added clarification for the new content.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 29, 2010

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Rascyc posted:

The problem with ToEE is that the intro village is just abyssmal. At one point, the patch tried to remedy a few issues in the village (nonsensical quests and such), but they rolled quite a few of those back for one reason or another. There are still a few (like the goblin and the ring got changed) because they *REALLY* made no sense at all in the vanilla game.

I can't stress just how absolutely lovely the start of ToEE is, it is simply unreal. Bad voice acting, bad story telling, and about 5 hours of fetch quests if you are truly new to the game. It's so bad, that it seems most ToEE vets just skip it entirely and go straight to the Moathouse, essentially doing a level 3-4 event at level 1.

Yeah, I bought because I love turn-based tactical combat, but I gave up after some hours of playing. I felt absolutely lost in the combat, since I got no experience at all with DD outside video-games (and the only DD game Ive ever really played to the end is Planescape). Also, I got both bored and lost in that first village.

So I gave up, but Im still going to try it again cause the combat really looks like it can be awesome once you understand the rules.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

The Machine posted:

Do Activision and Ubisoft have their own download service though? Hell, it took EA awhile to get on STEAM and even then it was only for full-priced Spore games (at the time). If they're going to release their classic titles, I'm sure they'd do it on their own storefront. :(

Activision has Battle.Net.

I think Ubisoft has it's own DD platform noone really cares about except when it has a good sale.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Speaking of TOEE, is there any way to have the camera dynamically adjust to your party's position? I find myself having to use the arrow keys to re-center the camera on my party constantly. Annoying, to say the least.

FWIW, I installed the CO8 patch on top of the GOG install with almost no problems. I took about 2 hours creating all five of my party members from scratch and outfitting them - then realized it was 2 AM, had to go to bed, and realized the starting village would have to wait for another day.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

ChrisAsmadi posted:

Activision has Battle.Net.

That doesn't really count because I guarantee you'll never see anything but Blizzard games on that store.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Elias_Maluco posted:

Yeah, I bought because I love turn-based tactical combat, but I gave up after some hours of playing. I felt absolutely lost in the combat, since I got no experience at all with DD outside video-games (and the only DD game Ive ever really played to the end is Planescape). Also, I got both bored and lost in that first village.

So I gave up, but Im still going to try it again cause the combat really looks like it can be awesome once you understand the rules.
The upside is that a lot of the hidden combat rules are mostly just bonuses to hit and such that help you out (charge, readying; 5-step is basically free movement, uh sort of). The one that really punishes you if you don't understand it, are attacks of opportunity and all the situations that proc it/defend against it. Everyone's first instinct on using a mage is that they need to get out of dodge the second they are engaged, which usually gets your mage killed as the enemy gets free attacks the second your mage moves out of a melee engagement. The right response is to activate defensive casting (you will not get an AOO, but at least you can still cast assuming you pass a roll) and cast something to get yourself out of the jam, or to just toggle fight defensively and pass your turn until something else changes. There's a few other neat things you can do - explore the interface wheel whenever you're in a new situation to see if there are new stuff.

On the flip side, the fastest way to kill a low level mage is to just stand beside the mage, guaranteeing an attack of opportunity the second they move or cast (especially if you ready up)! This is why improved initiative is actually pretty useful, if your party can move before theirs, then you can often get superior positions/AOO placement (or just outright disable them with magic).

Doesn't help that Co8 disables the tutorial, but I don't think the tutorial really covers any core D&D basics or D&D strategies.

(Also if you find your money is mysteriously vanishing, that is because identify costs you 100 gold - EVEN IF YOU CAST THE SPELL YOURSELF. Use lore-based identification instead if you can!)

This thread helped me a bit when I started playing ToEE recently: http://forums.gameaxis.com/showthread.php?t=563519

It explains a lot of the options. Unless otherwise specified, everything is accessed off the right-click interface wheel. Don't forget to shift+<key> shortcut frequently used commands.

Gazaville Slugger posted:

Speaking of TOEE, is there any way to have the camera dynamically adjust to your party's position? I find myself having to use the arrow keys to re-center the camera on my party constantly. Annoying, to say the least.
Like an auto lockon? Don't think so, I just use window scrolling with the edges of the window like any other isometric RPG. No need or keyboard interaction.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 29, 2010

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Rascyc posted:

Like an auto lockon? Don't think so, I just use window scrolling with the edges of the window like any other isometric RPG. No need or keyboard interaction.

This doesn't work if you play in windowed mode :( I like being able to have the D&D 3E manual open so I can reference it if necessary.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Something not immediately obvious to 3.5e noobs, or people who just aren't familiar with D20 system-

If it's possible to hit your target, every +1 to your attack roll is 5% chance to hit. Every +1 to your defense is an additional 5% to not BE hit. This is pretty loving huge. The fact that you start off with something like 4-14 hit points means getting hit by a 1d8 weapon can be devastating. It is very very possible for a character to be killed in a single hit by a level 1 character in the wrong situation. This is the reality of doing a true-to-mechanics D&D game.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I find most games who start at level 1 in D&D kinda shoddy. It's unreal how much more powerful your characters get in just one level. It's almost more believable to start off at level 3 or 4 for most games.

I'm amazed you have to to busy-work in ToEE to get there. That really sucks.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
It has been ages since I played ToEE, but if I remember correctly it is entirely possible to level up to 2 or possibly 3 before you get in your first fight by doing fetch quests and/or dialog problem solving... probably just to keep any wizards in your party from dying.

Am I misremembering it?

I know from my own experiences with 2nd and 3rd edition D&D playing table top, we almost always started out by doing lots of roleplaying BS in some village with the specific goal of avoiding conflict until we leveled up a couple of levels.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yup, you can actually get to 3 maybe even 4 for some classes if you are very thorough and depending on your party size.

I think a lot of people just give up on the quests at level 2 though and just grind random encounters for XP for an extra level or three before doing the majority of the moathouse. The quests are actually worse than what you'd find in NWN1's OC, so it's quite tedious (a lot of walking back and forth and figuring out who you need to talk to advance the ball). The game is pretty modular with its quests, so you can really ignore all of the Hommlet quests with no reprocussions - although there can be the odd surprise or two if you deal with the NPCs (I personally avoid all the NPCs in ToEE, even if they are kind of fixed with Co8's unselfish NPC changes). The quest experience really sucks and it gets divided so early leveling is especially painful, as to be expected.

The interior of the moathouse can be very brutal on people new to the series, it pulls no punches in pincer attacks and stuff, and while the combat can be quickly trivialized if you know your spells, it can quickly spiral out of control if you don't. I imagine the vast majority of people who ever wanted to try the game quit after messing with the moathouse.

Also I can't imagine the look on some people's faces when their first encounter with giant frogs end up with like their lovely geared thief getting swallowed whole and digested.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Nov 29, 2010

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I seem to recall seeing this, but do Age of Magic have it's own thread? I heard all the hype for Age of Magic Shadow and decided to pick it up.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

ymgve posted:

That doesn't really count because I guarantee you'll never see anything but Blizzard games on that store.

Eh, they've at least thought about it.

I also picked up Shadow Magic, but only because nothing on Steam was tempting today. :)

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Rascyc posted:

Yup, you can actually get to 3 maybe even 4 for some classes if you are very thorough and depending on your party size.

I think a lot of people just give up on the quests at level 2 though and just grind random encounters for XP for an extra level or three before doing the majority of the moathouse. The quests are actually worse than what you'd find in NWN1's OC, so it's quite tedious (a lot of walking back and forth and figuring out who you need to talk to advance the ball). The game is pretty modular with its quests, so you can really ignore all of the Hommlet quests with no reprocussions - although there can be the odd surprise or two if you deal with the NPCs (I personally avoid all the NPCs in ToEE, even if they are kind of fixed with Co8's unselfish NPC changes). The quest experience really sucks and it gets divided so early leveling is especially painful, as to be expected.

The interior of the moathouse can be very brutal on people new to the series, it pulls no punches in pincer attacks and stuff, and while the combat can be quickly trivialized if you know your spells, it can quickly spiral out of control if you don't. I imagine the vast majority of people who ever wanted to try the game quit after messing with the moathouse.

Also I can't imagine the look on some people's faces when their first encounter with giant frogs end up with like their lovely geared thief getting swallowed whole and digested.

I don't know why I kind of brushed this off, probably because modern games have made "fetch" quests so much easier with waypoints, minimaps, and clear directions, but they are god drat brutal in ToEE. You better use the "flags" tool on the maps or you're gonna be wandering around forever.

I feel like all I've been doing in Hommlet for about 6 hours now is trying to figure out where the gently caress everyone lives, because nothing is clearly marked on the map (though the interiors of buildings are clearly labeled :downsbravo: ) and arrange marriages.

Sell me your god drat barn already, Filliken :argh:

Also, as a True Neutral, I have no idea how to get Jaroo to report to Hrudek. I've talked to him and 4 or 5 of the open quests I have currently all involve clearing out the moathouse. I'm still level 1.

I've attempted the deklo grove spiders and killed some skeletons out of boredom, but they only netted me 25-50 xp total per member.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

I don't know why I kind of brushed this off, probably because modern games have made "fetch" quests so much easier with waypoints, minimaps, and clear directions, but they are god drat brutal in ToEE. You better use the "flags" tool on the maps or you're gonna be wandering around forever.

I feel like all I've been doing in Hommlet for about 6 hours now is trying to figure out where the gently caress everyone lives, because nothing is clearly marked on the map (though the interiors of buildings are clearly labeled :downsbravo: ) and arrange marriages.

Also, as a True Neutral, I have no idea how to get Jaroo to report to Hrudek. I've talked to him and 4 or 5 of the open quests I have currently all involve clearing out the moathouse. I'm still level 1.

I've attempted the deklo grove spiders and killed some skeletons out of boredom, but they only netted me 25-50 xp total per member.
Sounds like you'll be in the level 2 camp, guessing you're rolling around with a very full party. Personally I start the game with like 4 characters and get them a level and then I create and add additional people to round it if necessary - 6 max (you do this at the inn btw). I never use hirelings.

Also there's like 6 quests that go into that barn quest, or something really silly.

Co8 does some interesting things with quest experience too, but I don't remember the details. It scales with respect to your party level or something.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 30, 2010

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Rascyc posted:

I think a lot of people just give up on the quests at level 2 though and just grind random encounters for XP for an extra level or three before doing the majority of the moathouse. The quests are actually worse than what you'd find in NWN1's OC, so it's quite tedious (a lot of walking back and forth and figuring out who you need to talk to advance the ball).

Funny you should say that since I managed to stomach beating NWN 1's OC seven times and most of them after I played ToEE, which I never could get past the moathouse of.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Rascyc posted:

Sounds like you'll be in the level 2 camp, guessing you're rolling around with a very full party. Personally I start the game with like 4 characters and get them a level and then I create and add additional people to round it if necessary - 6 max (you do this at the inn btw). I never use hirelings.

Also there's like 6 quests that go into that barn quest, or something really silly.

Co8 does some interesting things with quest experience too, but I don't remember the details. It scales with respect to your party level or something.

I nearly lost party members twice to 4 skeletons and the 2 giant spiders in Deklo. Moving up a level has got to help. 400 xp to go...

I've got 5 members in the party total. I just wish it was easier to know who to go talk to with an updated logbook after conversations have been had. Right now it's based off memory and trying to understand exactly what one of the NPCs asked for previously.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

If you're playing with the Co8 patch, There's a signpost right outside the inn that will warp you to most locations within the town. You can also open the world map and click West Hommlet to bring you right to the inn, so that should speed up town travel a lot.

I, of course, discovered this after I was done with most of the fetch quests, so I didn't get my maximum use out of the knowledge.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Sankis posted:

The problem with Daggerfall is that they just hit the big randomize button and hoped that the huge landmass would make people forget how broken the game is.

I loved the random dungeons :( I wish there was a modern first-person RPG game that did randomized dungeons :( I wonder if it's possible to hack up an oblivion script that would do it

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Danith posted:

I loved the random dungeons :( I wish there was a modern first-person RPG game that did randomized dungeons :( I wonder if it's possible to hack up an oblivion script that would do it

I agree! It seems that today someone could write a much better algorithm that would ensure no impossible dungeons like Daggerfall did.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I imagine it would be believably connecting 3D meshes that's the problematic part.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

The map builder tool for the free Steam game Alien Swarm has an option to randomly generate maps. Granted, it uses a tile-based system and the random generation is only while you're editing a map and not done on the fly, so you have to save it and then load up the map to play, but it's definitely possible to have randomly generated 3D dungeons.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Danith posted:

Would you be able to tell the difference between a randomly generated and a hand-crafted dungeon in Oblivion? :v:

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

teethgrinder posted:

I imagine it would be believably connecting 3D meshes that's the problematic part.

torchlight got around this using something they called "chunks" but even so the dungeons ended up very samey, much like diablo (so I guess they did it right). diablo/torchlight aren't really about compelling dungeon crawling though, but loot and levels so it worked in those cases.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
Spelunky used a "chunk" system as well, and it worked beautifully.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Spelunky is 2d, though. The issue is in getting 3D art assets to line up in a way that doesn't make it obvious they were randomly generated, rather than in simply generating a playable level.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Any word on when the Quest for Glory games will show up on GoG?

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

signalnoise posted:

Something not immediately obvious to 3.5e noobs, or people who just aren't familiar with D20 system-

If it's possible to hit your target, every +1 to your attack roll is 5% chance to hit. Every +1 to your defense is an additional 5% to not BE hit. This is pretty loving huge. The fact that you start off with something like 4-14 hit points means getting hit by a 1d8 weapon can be devastating. It is very very possible for a character to be killed in a single hit by a level 1 character in the wrong situation. This is the reality of doing a true-to-mechanics D&D game.

Haha, wow. Even though I played NWN mods for years and played Baldur's Gate 2 a shitload, I never broke it down into percentages... Those +1 bracers are way more important than I ever considered.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's not like the math is hard. Everything is based on the d20. 100/20=5, so every point + or - is a 5% difference to success rate.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's not like the math is hard. Everything is based on the d20. 100/20=5, so every point + or - is a 5% difference to success rate.

Yeah I just never thought about it in percentages.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Faffel posted:

Yeah I just never thought about it in percentages.

If you want something else to blow your mind about how important +1 bonuses can be, if your AC is so high that an enemy has to roll a 19 or 20 to hit you, then increasing your AC by one can make it so you get hit half as many times as normal, cutting the damage you take over an encounter by half (not counting critical calculations).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Spelunky is 2d, though. The issue is in getting 3D art assets to line up in a way that doesn't make it obvious they were randomly generated, rather than in simply generating a playable level.

torchlight is 3d, or at least a 2d game on a 3d engine. regardless the art works nicely.