Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillRoy
Dec 28, 2004
I many not go down in history but I'll go down on you sister.
Is it true that the the Columbia mascott is based on Annette Benning? I remember hearing that somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

KillRoy posted:

Is it true that the the Columbia mascott is based on Annette Benning? I remember hearing that somewhere.

Not unless Annette Benning is immortal and was around to model for it in 1924.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

The whole thing about the Colombia logo is pretty interesting. It has a surprisingly rich history...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbia_Pictures#The_Columbia_logo

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Universe Master posted:

Not unless Annette Benning is immortal and was around to model for it in 1924.

He (probably) means the current logo, which was based actually on Jenny Joseph (not the poet).

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!
I just watched El Mariachi and I swear I recognise the music from something else. Not the Latin guitars, but the electronic/ambient stuff used during the dream sequences. I want to say Day of the Dead but I saw that a LONG time ago and I think this was from something more recent. A quick search didn't turn anything up, does anybody have any ideas?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Was there ever anything akin to the video nasty http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_nasty moral panic in the US? It seems like it was a curiously British phenomenon and I've always wondered if there was any kind of home video moral crusade in other countries.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Diligent Deadite posted:

Was there ever anything akin to the video nasty http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_nasty moral panic in the US? It seems like it was a curiously British phenomenon and I've always wondered if there was any kind of home video moral crusade in other countries.

Home video specific? I can't say so, but that was probably because we had developed a deep rich foam working ourselves up in a lather with the Hays Code for decades.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hays_code

Edit: I should also mention non-institutional situations like WalMart "cuts" of films and music (usually reflected in cover art and explicit language) and that whole CleanFlicks enterprise. For the former, because of their then policies, some movies were specifically crafted to have R-rated cuts so that they could be sold in their stores.

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 28, 2010

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Diligent Deadite posted:

This is an excellent question and I hope someone can answer it a bit better than me, but I know in the US it's quite a different setup regarding films; technically MPAA ratings on content are voluntary, but there's a long-standing consensus between the MPAA, the studios and the cinemas that films should be submitted for classification before release, and major cinema chains simply don't show unrated or even NC-17 rated films. I am fairly sure this just extended to displaying MPAA ratings on videos and major chains like Wal-Mart similarly not stocking anything un- or high-rated without any laws being passed, unlike the legal loophole in the UK that left videos out of the rating system.

American moral crusaders (including Al Gore's wife) did pour a lot of energy into the Parental Advisory system of putting warnings on CD albums around the same time, though, which was a pretty entertaining historical episode in its own right.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Inception : summer popcorn or something more?

(IMDB users have it in the top 5 of all time, which stuns me.)

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

kapalama posted:

IMDb users also had The Dark Knight as #1 for a while, even down-voting The Godfather just to help it, so take IMDb's Top 250 with a grain of salt.

Anyway, when I think "summer popcorn" I think of utterly brainless movies like Transformers or Clash of the Titans. Inception clearly has more going on than that.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

kapalama posted:

My view is that Christopher Nolan has a knack for creating movies that function as both. Like all of his films, there's tons going on below the surface, and the characters and plot are filled with small intricacies, but it's not an overtly deceptive story, like Memento or The Prestige. It can be enjoyed on the surface for its great action sequences and cool scifi concepts, but there is a far more cerebral level that the viewer can choose to explore.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

kapalama posted:

In my opinion nothing with that much dialogue can be popcorn. Whatever you take of the movie, it really couldn't be considered popcorn for being 2hrs and 30m and that much discussion.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Ape Agitator posted:

In my opinion nothing with that much dialogue can be popcorn. Whatever you take of the movie, it really couldn't be considered popcorn for being 2hrs and 30m and that much discussion.

Does it really have more dialogue than Independence Day, Armageddon, Pearl Harbor, Avatar or a dozen of other popcorn films over 2:30. I do think Inception is much better than those and has value beyond simple entertainment, but citing length and quantity of dialogue is not the way to prove it.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Rake Arms posted:

My view is that Christopher Nolan has a knack for creating movies that function as both. Like all of his films, there's tons going on below the surface, and the characters and plot are filled with small intricacies, but it's not an overtly deceptive story, like Memento or The Prestige. It can be enjoyed on the surface for its great action sequences and cool scifi concepts, but there is a far more cerebral level that the viewer can choose to explore.

I guess I kind of did not see it as having that other level... School me please?

Loved Memento (and I really loved the fact that the DVD could be set up to watch the movies in linear fashion which was an incredible use of the DVD technology.)

Part of my difficulty is watching whatshisname from Titanic is always a little painful. In Gilbert Grape, he was awesome, but he has just simply been hard to watch in anything else.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

kapalama posted:

I guess I kind of did not see it as having that other level... School me please?

Loved Memento (and I really loved the fact that the DVD could be set up to watch the movies in linear fashion which was an incredible use of the DVD technology.)

Part of my difficulty is watching whatshisname from Titanic is always a little painful. In Gilbert Grape, he was awesome, but he has just simply been hard to watch in anything else.

It's just all the little intricacies of the characters, why they act the way they do, how the dreams work, why the dream sequences play out as they do, etc. There are many details not made explicit that give a heightened understanding of the story. However, if you don't like Leonardo Dicaprio, we'll just have to agree that we have vastly different tastes.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

kapalama posted:

If you seriously can't get over Leonardo Dicaprio starring in Titanic over 13 years ago, and discount all the awesome movies he has been in over the last 5 years, I don't know what to tell you.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Rake Arms posted:

It's just all the little intricacies of the characters, why they act the way they do, how the dreams work, why the dream sequences play out as they do, etc. There are many details not made explicit that give a heightened understanding of the story. However, if you don't like Leonardo Dicaprio, we'll just have to agree that we have vastly different tastes.

(I don't like DiCaprio but I can live with him. I am just completely conscious of him ACTING in his roles for whatever reason. Never saw Titanic, so it's not that.)

See for me, the details were actually the problem.

I get the whole magic bullet thing, but this movie took it to such ridiculous extremes that it really got in the way. The van driver had one head move that he made identically ten straight times to dodge bullets.

The weightless motion was all wrong. The characters were made massless, rather than weightless, which matters when the whole point of slamming the elevator was to 'kick'. The rolling of the van did not wake anyone when other kicks did.

It seemed like almost anything that could otherwise be interesting was made sloppily because if you actually spend any time thinking about it, the flaws just leap out.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

kapalama posted:

See for me, the details were actually the problem.

I get the whole magic bullet thing, but this movie took it to such ridiculous extremes that it really got in the way. The van driver had one head move that he made identically ten straight times to dodge bullets.

The weightless motion was all wrong. The characters were made massless, rather than weightless, which matters when the whole point of slamming the elevator was to 'kick'. The rolling of the van did not wake anyone when other kicks did.

Jesus Christ. If these things bothered you, how do you enjoy anything?

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010

Rake Arms posted:

Jesus Christ. If these things bothered you, how do you enjoy anything?

You must not have read the Inception thread.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Does it really have more dialogue than Independence Day, Armageddon, Pearl Harbor, Avatar or a dozen of other popcorn films over 2:30. I do think Inception is much better than those and has value beyond simple entertainment, but citing length and quantity of dialogue is not the way to prove it.

I really do think it has far more dialogue. Especially when you consider so much of the dialogue happens without the punctuation of comic relief of your typical Bruckheimer movie. That's coupled with how much of the dialogue is kind of necessary to make sense of what happens later. I mean, ID4 really only needs people to understand the "virus upload, shields down" stuff because the rest is pretty above board combat/disaster survival and one nifty speech. Armageddon is not far off of Inception in terms of how much they talk about what's going to happen (via the NASA briefings) and they're pretty necessary to understand what they're drilling, but it is again coupled with comic relief constantly as a relief valve for people with short attention spans. Avatar doesn't have a lot of dialogue at all, really.

If you imagine watching any of these 2.5hr movies with the sound off, which one would you be more lost on? I think a popcorn movie is pretty much the kind of movie that you could be watching dubbed in a foreign language and lose nothing other than verbal humor. But popcorn movies often do as much physical humor so that's not a tremendous loss.

Coco Rodreguiz
Jan 12, 2007

Peckerhead isn't used enough as an insult if you ask me.

kapalama posted:

It seemed like almost anything that could otherwise be interesting was made sloppily because if you actually spend any time thinking about it, the flaws just leap out.

They were in a dream. There's really no precedent that everything would work the way it does in the real world.

They made a point in that it doesn't really follow logic a la the never ending staircase.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

kapalama posted:

I don't think movies are for you, mate

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

KillRoy posted:

They did change it for one movie - What Planet Are You From?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oArmUUgdZ1k

Here's the standard one to compare it to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIknlub6lEc

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
quote doesn't equal edit

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Toy Story 3

Apparently, Mr. Potato Head's body doesn't matter, as he has a tortilla and a cucumber as a body at some point outside of his usual potato body. And the body parts don't have to be attached to the same body, or any body for that matter, to function.

So, what part of Mr. Potato Head is actually alive? What body part houses his mind/brain? Is his mind/brain just some sort of omnipresent thing that can be wherever it needs to be, and even be in more than one place at a time? How come no other toy (other than Mrs. Potato Head) can move body parts independent of their body?

Is he God?

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 29, 2010

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I guess it's because he was designed to be modular. The spirit of the toys' design seems to play a big part in what they can do and how they act. Since his constituent parts can all work separately and really far apart I guess his consciousness is just... Everywhere. Or nowhere. Doesn't matter, it's probably not housed by any one piece.

Other toys have kind of had that, though. The toys that Sid mangled and put together seemed to function with transplanted heads and limbs and poo poo, buuuut more like whatever the new head was controlled the rest. From what we saw.

I don't think you're supposed to think this much about it.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

He's actually The Thing.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Crows Turn Off posted:

Toy Story 3

Apparently, Mr. Potato Head's body doesn't matter, as he has a tortilla and a cucumber as a body at some point outside of his usual potato body. And the body parts don't have to be attached to the same body, or any body for that matter, to function.

So, what part of Mr. Potato Head is actually alive? What body part houses his mind/brain? Is his mind/brain just some sort of omnipresent thing that can be wherever it needs to be, and even be in more than one place at a time? How come no other toy (other than Mrs. Potato Head) can move body parts independent of their body?

God this makes Toy Story seem so creepy.

That being said, remember all the toys that Sid(?) cobbled together in the first movie? They were just bits and pieces of other toys, even made of stuff like wheels and arms with no apparent heads (the fishing pole with legs), and they were all still "alive".

Ughghghg. Zombie toys.

I imagine the only real "death" a toy can have is to be completely ground up/disintegrated and destroyed. And maybe toys like Mr. Potato head, with naturally detachable limbs, have more "life" distributed to every body part, whereas something more all-inclusive like Woody would be constructed and operate more comparably to an actual human being.

edit: beaten :(

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

kapalama posted:

Read the IMDB boards then come back. Nothing will stun you after that.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

That's pretty horrific. They just age and fall apart and don't die until they ground up into little pieces? And if they don't they could like for thousands of years until they wear down to nothing? Not nice.

From what I can remember we've only seen two things that definitely kill them: getting blown up, and incinerated. It's pretty horrible to think that they watched one of their own kind get completely obliterated by an exploding rocket. Yet the toy in question still didn't break "character."

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Akuma posted:

Other toys have kind of had that, though. The toys that Sid mangled and put together seemed to function with transplanted heads and limbs and poo poo, buuuut more like whatever the new head was controlled the rest. From what we saw.

redjenova posted:

That being said, remember all the toys that Sid(?) cobbled together in the first movie? They were just bits and pieces of other toys, even made of stuff like wheels and arms with no apparent heads (the fishing pole with legs), and they were all still "alive".
Regardless of the parts, they still had a "body" and a "head" (or something that acted as such), and we couldn't see that their body parts worked detached from the rest.

From what I can remember (I'll watch them all again this week), Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head are the only two that can do this. I may be mistaken, though.

The rest of the toys have an obvious mind-body thing going, but the Potato Head family... they're different.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Akuma posted:

I guess it's because he was designed to be modular. The spirit of the toys' design seems to play a big part in what they can do and how they act. Since his constituent parts can all work separately and really far apart I guess his consciousness is just... Everywhere. Or nowhere. Doesn't matter, it's probably not housed by any one piece.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Akuma posted:

This is why, as horrible as it was, the "Let's Sperg About Movies Thread" shouldn't have been gassed.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah but adding the consciousness element changes things quite a bit so it's less a philosophical question and more a pragmatic one. In the end we can't know because we have too many questions. Can he use another eye? What if it was an official replacement eye made for Potato Heads? Not that we need to know.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Akuma posted:

Yeah but adding the consciousness element changes things quite a bit. In the end we can't know because we have too many questions. Can he use another eye? What if it was an official replacement eye made for Potato Heads? Not that we need to know.
That's something I haven't thought of. He can use anything as a body, does that mean he can use anything as a body part as well? Could he take the eye from a completely different doll, plug it into his potato body, and use it? Would he even need to plug it into his potato body, since we've already determined it's unnecessary for him to live?

It's like he can possess anything.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Crows Turn Off posted:

Regardless of the parts, they still had a "body" and a "head" (or something that acted as such), and we couldn't see that their body parts worked detached from the rest.

From what I can remember (I'll watch them all again this week), Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head are the only two that can do this. I may be mistaken, though.

The rest of the toys have an obvious mind-body thing going, but the Potato Head family... they're different.

I guess so, but thinking specifically about that fishing-pole-with-legs thing: (this is the closest I could GIS it... heh)

It doesn't have any form of head really at all. And I seem to vaguely remember bits and pieces like arms and such crawling around Sid's floor. But if they were taken apart and then reassembled into some "new" creature that still had the ability to move around and be "alive", especially apparently headless like this one (meaning it's not like the new head is what has control over the new body)... It's not exactly like Mr. Potato Head because he retains his consciousness as it were, but then again he still has all the vital pieces--his mouth, eyes, etc. and Sid's weird toys didn't. I think the consciousness/life of a piece is, most of the time, just inherent to the pieces of that toy.

Although yeah, I don't think we were ever meant to think too much about this. Haha.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

^^^ With Sid's toys one piece became dominant over the others when they were transplanted. With the Potato Heads they can exchange parts and still control them.

I don't know, the only thing not his own that we've seen him use is a new body, and all that did was be acted upon by the limbs. I was thinking more about the nature of the toys; if it's some official replacement part, is it imbued with life by virtue of being a toy (part) and activate as his when it becomes his?

We've seen the two heroes both lose limbs and lose the ability to use them until they were fixed; but would it have worked if they were new parts? What if all the stuffing in Woody's arm was replaced? Or the hand? This is the Ship of Theseus. With our Lord God Potato Head it's a whole different ballgame.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Akuma posted:

Yeah but adding the consciousness element changes things quite a bit so it's less a philosophical question and more a pragmatic one. In the end we can't know because we have too many questions. Can he use another eye? What if it was an official replacement eye made for Potato Heads? Not that we need to know.

There's a variant of the Ship of Theseus where you replace neurons in the brain with electronic circuits one at a time, but I can't find it because I don't know it's official name.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Akuma posted:

^^^ With Sid's toys one piece became dominant over the others when they were transplanted. With the Potato Heads they can exchange parts and still control them.

I think the big difference here is that Sid's toys were systematically broken down and jury rigged together--Mr. Potato Head's gimmick is detachable/interchangeable pieces. It almost makes sense that Mr. Potato Head's "self" is all the other pieces besides his plain potato head, since without his eyes/mouth/whatever, it's just a hollow faceless lump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Crows Turn Off posted:

That's something I haven't thought of. He can use anything as a body, does that mean he can use anything as a body part as well? Could he take the eye from a completely different doll, plug it into his potato body, and use it? Would he even need to plug it into his potato body, since we've already determined it's unnecessary for him to live?

It's like he can possess anything.

They're all ghosts or elementals essentially. Mr. Potato Head brings up the Ship of Theseus paradox more obviously, but where is Woody's brain? Or Buzz's? None of them have actual physical minds so their consciousness is entirely metaphysical. 9 can be seen as the product of someone who had these same questions about where the souls of the Toy Story characters came from and decided to make a movie about the answer.