Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

The correct answer is one short outline with the key points, and one triple-digit-pager with all of your notes and poo poo (or well-organized textbook) because there's always that one question that asks you to talk about the third dissent in some random case.
This is the correct answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

evilweasel posted:

I really disagree with this. I find that long outlines for open-book exams are a hindrance: you want a short outline, and for the esoteric topics, you want the page number. That means you have the important stuff there, summarized, and when your professor pulls some small detail out you can re-read the four pages in the book and know everything you are expected to know about the subject.

Open book exams are all about information management and accessibility: you have all the information you need, so the trick is getting it as quickly as possible. Get yourself organized so you can easily access the information you need, and know the subject well enough to recognize things well enough to know what to look up.
I didn't say grab a 100-page outline, that might as well be its own book. People have different levels of dexterity with referencing stuff. My favorite outlines were usually around 25 pages. I'd grab the two or three most recent ones of that length, spend a day or two combining them, and call it square.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

evilweasel posted:

Most of the outlines on our public outline server clock in at like 80.

We have this bizarre thing at our school where 2L with the highest grade just tutors the 1Ls the next year; and the tutoring worksheets are just their outlines parsed into weekly sections. When you just combine all of them, you get a 25 page outline aimed at that course by a person who got a 95.

I'm not entirely sure of why they encourage this but then again, I had to spend like 15 minutes explaining to a friend of mine the difference between a tenancy in common and a tenancy by the entirety, who marveled I could remember it.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Beerdeer posted:

I don't envy you exam takers.

I graduated in 2007 at the bottom of my class from a tier 4 school. Thank god for the federal government hiring.

......I am now the most angry I've been in several weeks.

Revolver
Feb 23, 2004
Federal civilian pay freeze. No COLA for the next two years. All legal jobs that still exist are becoming less attractive.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

HiddenReplaced posted:

......I am now the most angry I've been in several weeks.

I will never be able to get a job practicing without hanging out my own shingle.

I work for USCIS as an adjudications officer, meaning I sit in a cubicle and process applications. (Currently I work refugee adjustment of status) The JD took me from a GS7 to a GS9 on track to a 12.

PAY ATTENTION to the lists your schools give of other careers a JD helps with. Besides the pay bump, my degree helps me interpret the law we rely on, which is a classic mess.

Of course, if you're not in law school yet, DON'T GO. THERE ARE NO JOBS. YOU WILL DIE ALONE.

Beerdeer fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 29, 2010

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

stingray1381 posted:

Federal civilian pay freeze. No COLA for the next two years. All legal jobs that still exist are becoming less attractive.

Well that's just awesome. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/30/us/politics/30freeze.html?hp

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

diospadre posted:

Hey Defleshed, my first round of real MCLE credit is due this summer, do you know what the best/cheapest way to get that done in Chicago is? Already have like 6ish credits but ugh I don't wanna pay thousands to finish this out.

Sorry, just catching up on the thread, spent the holiday in an alcoholic haze.

Is this your first year as an attorney, and if so have you already done your basic skills requirement stuff? If not, the CBA offers a full package deal that gets it all done and rewards all needed credits for your first year and the cost is something like $99 for members (membership is pretty reasonable IIRC).

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Beerdeer posted:

I will never be able to get a job practicing without hanging out my own shingle.

I work for USCIS as an adjudications officer, meaning I sit in a cubicle and process applications. (Currently I work refugee adjustment of status) The JD took me from a GS7 to a GS9 on track to a 12.

PAY ATTENTION to the lists your schools give of other careers a JD helps with. Besides the pay bump, my degree helps me interpret the law we rely on, which is a classic mess.

Of course, if you're not in law school yet, DON'T GO. THERE ARE NO JOBS. YOU WILL DIE ALONE.

Are they hiring? What is the classification on USAJobs that I should search for?

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Beerdeer posted:

Oh hey, depending on the circuit you're working in, I probably hate you!

(if it's not the Ninth try being more like the Ninth ok)

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

stingray1381 posted:

But you're salary is hardly poverty level or anything. You're still making good money regardless. (I say this, of course, having only a vague idea of what you make based on the schedules I've seen). But I know pay freezes are no fun anyway.

Our union is in the process of negotiating our contract for the next three years. I'll be curious to see how it ends up. They want to cut our semesters by two weeks, but there's no way the union will agree to that if they try to cut out a month's worth of our salary. But I'll take four more weeks off during the year if they can work it out!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

stingray1381 posted:

It sucks and is BS.
On the other hand, I'd still like a federal job.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Just returned from a vacation to the Philippines to find an opposition brief from my most frequent opponent, who has graciously decided to fall into the trap I carefully laid out for him on a SoL issue.

There was fist pumping.

Currently deciding on the amount of smarm to include in the reply.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
The answer is always "copious."

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
Serious post incoming!

I'm going to write a paper on tax law for a competition. It can be about a public policy issue, a critique of a leading case or doctrine, a comment on a statute or the need for statutory modification, or a comment on a common law doctrine.

Does anyone have any suggestions for where to start looking for a topic to write about? I'm not bored to tears by tax or anything, and $3,000 would be awesome for boozin'.

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Taxation on income from interest on loans should account for inflation go

hypocrite lecteur fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Nov 30, 2010

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
God tax is awful

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Vander posted:

Serious post incoming!

I'm going to write a paper on tax law for a competition. It can be about a public policy issue, a critique of a leading case or doctrine, a comment on a statute or the need for statutory modification, or a comment on a common law doctrine.

Does anyone have any suggestions for where to start looking for a topic to write about? I'm not bored to tears by tax or anything, and $3,000 would be awesome for boozin'.

Write about the fact that plaintiffs' lawyers don't get to write off case expenses they advance as those costs are incurred. Background:

http://www.litigationandtrial.com/2010/07/articles/the-business-of-law/contingent-fee-lawsuits-can-be-very-taxing-for-plaintiffs-lawyers/

The American Medical Association is calling any potential reform a "tax break for trial lawyers" and lobbying against it:

http://www.allbusiness.com/legal/legal-services-lawyers/15102107-1.html

Those fuckers.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Vander posted:

Serious post incoming!

The income tax consequences for space travelers at sub-light speeds.

I want to write this loving paper as an independent research assignment but can't bring myself to ask a prof to supervise it because it seems so ridiculous.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Abugadu posted:

Just returned from a vacation to the Philippines to find an opposition brief from my most frequent opponent, who has graciously decided to fall into the trap I carefully laid out for him on a SoL issue.

There was fist pumping.

Currently deciding on the amount of smarm to include in the reply.

:raise: Once it's filed you should elaborate.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

I want to write this loving paper as an independent research assignment but can't bring myself to ask a prof to supervise it because it seems so ridiculous.
http://www.princeton.edu/~pkrugman/interstellar.pdf

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I'm giving up drinking for two weeks to study for finals. Who's with me?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

You're not pursuing an academic article because it seems ridiculous? Have you ever read an academic article?

Once my busy season slows down WJ and I are going to write an anthropological analysis of the movement of chains in the NFL as a metaphor for judicial decision making so hard.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Tokelau All Star posted:

lol

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

Tokelau All Star posted:

I've made it one week of complete sobriety so far and all I want to do is draw a warm bath and open a couple of veins

its not even finals I just got tired of always paying for poo poo with money that's been rolled into little tubes

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Tokelau All Star posted:

Don't think I could write papers sober. Not really joking.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

No joke, four people have already called me to go to the bar tonight. It's taking every ounce of my willpower to stay here and start my evidence outline.

William Lee
May 16, 2003

I guess it's about time for our William Tell routine.
Does anyone have any helpful exam materials (e.g., flow charts, outlines) for Bankruptcy? I feel like I know nothing about the subject after an entire semester. Since the exam is open book/materials, I'm trying to focus more on studying for other courses.

Protip: Do not take a course such as Bankruptcy solely because it filled a gap in your schedule.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Did you try outlinedepot? BK is a pretty common class, if there aren't old outlines there for your professor specifically there's almost certainly commercial flowcharts keyed to your textbook.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
I've got 2 cases involving the exact same facts. Is there a way to reference the depositions of the first in a MSJ for the second? Joinder is not available. I assume there has to be a way short of deposing the guy for a second time??

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Has anyone had Gerrard for environmental law?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

I've got 2 cases involving the exact same facts. Is there a way to reference the depositions of the first in a MSJ for the second? Joinder is not available. I assume there has to be a way short of deposing the guy for a second time??

You're probably going to have to depose the guy a second time, unless he's unavailable. Texas law likes to have each party get a chance to examine a witness.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

CaptainScraps posted:

You're probably going to have to depose the guy a second time, unless he's unavailable. Texas law likes to have each party get a chance to examine a witness.

Yeah, it's a federal case. I'm going to just attach the deposition to the motion as an exhibit and let the other party object.

Edit: Scraps, when are you coming up to Big D so we can open Scraps and Mudd?

Roger_Mudd fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 30, 2010

Harry Ellis
Nov 9, 2004

Hans, bubby, I'm your white knight!

Ainsley McTree posted:

lol

"I just know, deep down, there's an A student inside of me, waiting to be unleashed from the shackles of my alcoholism"

*gets straight Bs*

"gently caress Law School"

*spends all subsequent semesters boozing; grades go up marginally*

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Roger_Mudd posted:

Scraps and Mudd?

That is the coolest law firm name, seriously. You should focus on wetlands construction and salvage law.

gabi
Sep 10, 2008
You can always get a job being an advisor for instructional videos...
http://www.everythingisterrible.com/2010/11/sweet-contract-dude.html

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

gabi posted:

You can always get a job being an advisor for instructional videos...
http://www.everythingisterrible.com/2010/11/sweet-contract-dude.html

I couldn't make it through the whole thing. What is that from? And is that the original or did someone make it horrible?

gabi
Sep 10, 2008

entris posted:

I couldn't make it through the whole thing. What is that from? And is that the original or did someone make it horrible?
The EiT people take tapes that they find and/or are sent to them and edit them down to the best parts. Pretty sure it's one of the Standard Deviants videos.

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

Beerdeer posted:

never mind.

poofactory fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 30, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Vander posted:

Serious post incoming!

I've got a nice, solid topic for you. PM me and I'll give you details, or IM me at entris9000.