Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Brickhouse Betty posted:

It may still be a holdover from The Rock's days. I remember an interview he did once after the Droz thing, where he stated that he had a clause in his contract that he didn't have to take any move where his feet went over his head. He still COULD, but it was pretty rare. I can see people thinking that hey, HE got over with that attitude and that would reduce injuries by a ton, so let's make that the standard.

Rock could have used this to refuse taking the stunner since Rock's selling of the Stunner always put his feet above his head.

Austin: So I'll stun you and the match is done.
Rock: Sorry, Steve. When I sell the stunner, I always get my feet above my head and I don't feel comfortable doing that.
Austin: Well, then don't oversell it. Just take it like normal, like everyone else.
Rock:...
Austin:...
Rock: I don't understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I see suplexes all the time in WWE what the hell?

Also, to expand on Jericho leaving, he made a point somewhere that he basically never gets injured so when he is wrestling for WWE he is pretty much ALWAYS wrestling, every week without fail, while others might spend 1-2 months out injured or longer, so WWE is happy to give him time off every so often.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

oldpainless posted:

Rock could have used this to refuse taking the stunner since Rock's selling of the Stunner always put his feet above his head.

Austin: So I'll stun you and the match is done.
Rock: Sorry, Steve. When I sell the stunner, I always get my feet above my head and I don't feel comfortable doing that.
Austin: Well, then don't oversell it. Just take it like normal, like everyone else.
Rock: I don't understand.

I can see it in my head now. The Rock gives Austin that head cocked to the side look like a dog that has just been shown a card trick.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Jerusalem posted:

I see suplexes all the time in WWE what the hell?

One of Cena's 5 moves of doom is a suplex sorta I guess.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Is there a point to the WWE's no-complete clauses anymore? There's no WCW-level competition for it to matter if a guy makes the jump. Seems like they'd save money if they didn't have it.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

DannoMack posted:

Is there a point to the WWE's no-complete clauses anymore? There's no WCW-level competition for it to matter if a guy makes the jump. Seems like they'd save money if they didn't have it.

Some people are future endeavored before their star has lost its luster or while they still have "buzz," and to allow a televised competitor to potentially benefit from the work that the WWE did in creating that buzz wouldn't be beneficial to the WWE.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Some people are future endeavored before their star has lost its luster or while they still have "buzz," and to allow a televised competitor to potentially benefit from the work that the WWE did in creating that buzz wouldn't be beneficial to the WWE.

Jeff Hardy jumped when he was the hottest babyface in town and TNA hosed that up so badly that nobody cared.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Brickhouse Betty posted:

It may still be a holdover from The Rock's days. I remember an interview he did once after the Droz thing, where he stated that he had a clause in his contract that he didn't have to take any move where his feet went over his head. He still COULD, but it was pretty rare. I can see people thinking that hey, HE got over with that attitude and that would reduce injuries by a ton, so let's make that the standard.
That actually makes a whole lot of sense and I'm all for it if it's for safety.

So by that definition, a belly to back suplex would be okay, but not a verticle or overhead belly to belly? Or am I understanding this wrong?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

rotinaj posted:

Jeff Hardy jumped when he was the hottest babyface in town and TNA hosed that up so badly that nobody cared.

Jeff left the WWE in August of 2009 and didn't debut in TNA until January of 2010. Enough time had passed that his buzz-worthiness had worn off. Although, Jeff is a different situation because he had legal issues in early September and because I thought his contract expired meaning he didn't have a no-compete clause.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'm watching some old WCW matches on the Jericho and Austin dvd's and my god the loving announcers spend 60 percent of the match talking about other poo poo. And these are good matches. Jericho and Malenko, Austin and Steamboat. Talk about the loving match. Even the Brain is guilty of this. Was this something the back told them to do or what was up with this bullshit.

Bikeage
Nov 10, 2009
I can't really talk about early 90s WCW (Austin/Steamboat). But during the Monday Night Wars, the first hour of Nitro was basically cruiserweights having great matches while the announcers talked up the main event angles. That hour was unopposed by Raw, so I think the idea was to get people to watch awesome wrestling for an hour and stick around for the rest of the show to find out what the hell the announcers were talking about.

So yes, this was a directive from the producers, not Schiavone/Heenan/Zybysko legitimately not giving a poo poo about the cruiserweights a la Cole and Matthews on NXT.

Bikeage fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 29, 2010

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Schiavone was a) under pretty strict orders about what to talk about, b) most of the time the only guy who actually knew was going to happen in the big segments and would keep this information from Tenay, Brain et al because he felt that knowledge was power and he was protecting his position.

Most of the time, you'd have Tenay calling the cruiserweight matches while Brain was making mexican jokes and Tony was talking about Hogan or Sting. Occasionally Larry Z would mention a big guy.

Tenay and Dusty were mostly on point during matches but Schiavone was definitely told to hype up the main event and the big angles. Larry Z and Brain were just there as colour guys to do a little bit of both.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jeff left the WWE in August of 2009 and didn't debut in TNA until January of 2010. Enough time had passed that his buzz-worthiness had worn off. Although, Jeff is a different situation because he had legal issues in early September and because I thought his contract expired meaning he didn't have a no-compete clause.

Those legal issues being that he was arrested because he is a drug dealer who deals drugs.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Those legal issues being that he was arrested because he is a drug dealer who deals drugs.

Right. But the cause of his legal issues clearly didn't delay his debut in TNA, it was the fact that he had them that kept him out.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh yeah, I just wanted to remind everyone that Jeff Hardy is a drug dealer. He deals drugs. He takes drugs and he sells them to users of those drugs for a profit, that's his deal. His deal is drugs. Jeff Hardy is a drug dealer.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Oh yeah, I just wanted to remind everyone that Jeff Hardy is a drug dealer. He deals drugs. He takes drugs and he sells them to users of those drugs for a profit, that's his deal. His deal is drugs. Jeff Hardy is a drug dealer.

Actually, you get charged with intent to supply based on the amount of drugs in your possession. Based on previous history and the fact that most of the drugs found were opiate painkillers, it's likely that it was for personal use and he was just stockpiling.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

Actually, you get charged with intent to supply based on the amount of drugs in your possession. Based on previous history and the fact that most of the drugs found were opiate painkillers, it's likely that it was for personal use and he was just stockpiling.

Okay, I guess the eventual trial will tell whether they decide he is a convicted drug dealer or just a useless piece of poo poo junkie.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

MrBling posted:

Schiavone was a) under pretty strict orders about what to talk about, b) most of the time the only guy who actually knew was going to happen in the big segments and would keep this information from Tenay, Brain et al because he felt that knowledge was power and he was protecting his position.

Most of the time, you'd have Tenay calling the cruiserweight matches while Brain was making mexican jokes and Tony was talking about Hogan or Sting. Occasionally Larry Z would mention a big guy.

Tenay and Dusty were mostly on point during matches but Schiavone was definitely told to hype up the main event and the big angles. Larry Z and Brain were just there as colour guys to do a little bit of both.

gently caress I would give up......something, I don't have any money.....if the Brain were still young/healthy enough to still do commentary. He was absolutely one of a kind and incredible.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bikeage posted:

I can't really talk about early 90s WCW (Austin/Steamboat). But during the Monday Night Wars, the first hour of Nitro was basically cruiserweights having great matches while the announcers talked up the main event angles. That hour was unopposed by Raw, so I think the idea was to get people to watch awesome wrestling for an hour and stick around for the rest of the show to find out what the hell the announcers were talking about.

So yes, this was a directive from the producers, not Schiavone/Heenan/Zybysko legitimately not giving a poo poo about the cruiserweights a la Cole and Matthews on NXT.

I wouldn't say the first hour was basically that. Sometimes it was, but there were first hours that basically had nothing but the nWo.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!

MassRayPer posted:

I wouldn't say the first hour was basically that. Sometimes it was, but there were first hours that basically had nothing but the nWo.

And matches with Mike Enos.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Actually, the issue was how Jeff debuted in TNA. He debuted in an X-Division clusterfuck on a big red cage doing something? with Homicide and painting with Shannon Moore. He didn't look like a debut at all and more he was passing through to help out Shannon in a contract. So when he finally did come in full-time, it was really "meh".

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

Okay, I guess the eventual trial will tell whether they decide he is a convicted drug dealer or just a useless piece of poo poo junkie.
That's not really what he's saying, though. It's like when House got pinched for having too much Vikodin in his house and they charged him as a dealer.

The amount he'd need to have to be an actual dealer and the amount he was caught with are pretty different if I'm remembering correctly. Not that this excuses anything he's done.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

The amount he'd need to have to be an actual dealer and the amount he was caught with are pretty different if I'm remembering correctly.

Not necessarily. 260 Vicodin and 180 somas? He's obviously not a kingpin, but he could believably be selling to a few people.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

tzirean posted:

Not necessarily. 260 Vicodin and 180 somas? He's obviously not a kingpin, but he could believably be selling to a few people.

He had a couple of other drugs besides that.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

LividLiquid posted:

That's not really what he's saying, though. It's like when House got pinched for having too much Vikodin in his house and they charged him as a dealer.

The amount he'd need to have to be an actual dealer and the amount he was caught with are pretty different if I'm remembering correctly. Not that this excuses anything he's done.

If he took 4 Vicodins and 3 Somas a day, he'd have enough for 2 months worth. That is a lot.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

KungFu Grip posted:

He had a couple of other drugs besides that.

Yeah, but the other drugs were steroids (which I'd imagine were more probably his alone) and some detectable-but-not-collectable cocaine. Any case for distribution would be built on the pills.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

If he took 4 Vicodins and 3 Somas a day, he'd have enough for 2 months worth. That is a lot.

Hey, buying in bulk is a great way to save money.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

tzirean posted:

Yeah, but the other drugs were steroids (which I'd imagine were more probably his alone) and some detectable-but-not-collectable cocaine. Any case for distribution would be built on the pills.

except they werent just steroids. pot and opiates were found. i would go for the methhead joke but he lost a house and a dog to meth...so hopefully he smartened up and stopped using them.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

AkumaHokoru posted:

except they werent just steroids. pot and opiates were found. i would go for the methhead joke but he lost a house and a dog to meth...so hopefully he smartened up and stopped using them.

I do not think he has

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
How does that thing get uglier every time I see it?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I bet if the Ultimate Warrior was allowed to design a belt it would end up something like that too.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I bet if the Ultimate Warrior was allowed to design a belt it would end up something like that too.

Hopefully he would not have Santa on it.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Umbra Dubium posted:

I want the Stunner to be the mystery GM just so Stone Cold can replace Michael Cole as the GM's spokesman.

I'd love to see how this would unfold at a RAW show.

Big match ends, Cole and King are commentating, then the arena lights go out. Austin's music hits, but the lights stay off, and everyone is intently staring at the ramp, awaiting the Texas Rattlesnake. Waiting...waiting... but no Austin appears. Has everyone been faked out again?

Lights come up, camera pans to the announce table - King is unconscious on the floor, Austin is in King's chair, staring angrily at Cole.

Austin: *BEEP BEEP BEEP*
Cole: :aaa:

STUNNER

Austin gets on the mic, invites J.R. back out to the announce table.

Glass breaks. Beers are chugged. Fin.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Forgot to add:

"Half the audience of 8-year old Cena fans sits on hands because they have no idea who the gently caress he is"

warbrides
May 11, 2009

Why do wrestlers continue to work with Rob Feinstein? I would have thought they'd completely disown him after all the child predator stuff, especially seeing how macho and testosterone filled the wrestling community is.

Just the money? Friendship from ECW days?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

warbrides posted:

Why do wrestlers continue to work with Rob Feinstein? I would have thought they'd completely disown him after all the child predator stuff, especially seeing how macho and testosterone filled the wrestling community is.

Nobody cares what you've done if there's a buck to be made.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

warbrides posted:

Money, but I have heard wrestlers (Raven maybe) defend him in interviews.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

What was the child predator stuff, exactly? People have brought it up before but I don't know the full extent. Did he get charged with something or what?

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
He was caught in a Chris Hansen-esque sting. Showed up at what he thought was an underage kid's house and instead, SURPRISE! newscrew was waiting for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Endorph posted:

What was the child predator stuff, exactly? People have brought it up before but I don't know the full extent. Did he get charged with something or what?

I can't find the original post from Perverted Justice, but it's a website where people set-up sexual predators and then release their names, videos, etc.

http://www.wrestling-news.com/TranscriptRF14.html

Best line?

"RFWrestling [10:19 PM]: lol ill pretend u said 18"