Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greth
Nov 12, 2008

Does it trouble your mind the way you trouble mine?
I get the feeling that Reynardine is sort of the middle ground between Coyote's calculated chaos, and Yserngrim's excessively proud duty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dianasaur Go!
Jun 10, 2004

too soon from the cave
too far from the stars
So this means...ANNIE IS A HORCRUX!!! :aaaaa:

But seriously, this is terrible.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Fecha posted:

The implications of this soul-stealing being hereditary are that Mr. Carver agreed to get her pregnant anyways, and Surma went through with it... why? Was there some particular need for Annie?

Maybe she wanted to pass on her ability/soul like her mother.

Pick posted:

You know, Reynard is an absolute immature poo poo considering he's hundreds of years old. Temper, temper--you're worse than Ysengrin. Even Ysengrin showed more reserve when Annie uncovered a weak point.

That was because Coyote showed it to her just for giggles, and she didn't gloat about it to him.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Soylentbits posted:

So Reynardine initially tried to kill Annie because he was pissed that she killed Surma right? And he gave up on it because she reminded him too much of her mother?

Seriously, the more I look back at that the more firmly I'm convinced that he wasn't actually trying to kill her, he was setting the whole thing up to make it look like he was dead. The first time he sees Annie he comments on the toy, he knows Eglamore is watching and can/will block him, and he loudly yells about how he's been foiled and how he's going to die as he quietly backs into a toy that no one knows he can possess.

He basically acts like a super villain because that's what's expected of him, then quietly inserts himself somewhere where he can watch over and protect her. The whole "being her slave" bit was something he didn't predict.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Benagain posted:

Seriously, the more I look back at that the more firmly I'm convinced that he wasn't actually trying to kill her, he was setting the whole thing up to make it look like he was dead. The first time he sees Annie he comments on the toy, he knows Eglamore is watching and can/will block him, and he loudly yells about how he's been foiled and how he's going to die as he quietly backs into a toy that no one knows he can possess.

He basically acts like a super villain because that's what's expected of him, then quietly inserts himself somewhere where he can watch over and protect her. The whole "being her slave" bit was something he didn't predict.

We're sure he's not lying about the slave bit right? I mean pretending to be a slave is a total Renard the Fox (original folk tale version) thing to do.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Sulevis posted:

Maybe Surma was already dying before Annie was conceived. Or maybe she really, really wanted a child?
If she really wanted a child and everyone around her knew she would die if that happened, maybe Anthony was the only one emotionally detached enough to do it.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

Benagain posted:

Not only this, but Renard acts shocked whenever Annie mentions the attempt to kill her, and Coyote himself doesn't believe that was what was going on there. Renard probably put himself in there to watch over Annie out of respect for Surma, feeling he owed her that much since he couldn't save her.

Leviabeetus
Feb 14, 2010
I dunno, maybe she is a reincarnation/pheonix rebirth deal going on or what have you, but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Didn't Surma pass away when Anny was 11 or 12 or something? Like right before she came Gunnerkrigg.

So my theory after reading the last strip, is that it was Antimony that was dying, and not her mother. Her mom was gradually growing weaker and weaker because she was transfering her own life to Anny to keep her going/cure her. Meanwhile, Anthony is working his rear end off to save Antimony. They told her Surma was dying and Anthony was trying to find the cure that would save her life so she wouldn't feel needlessly guilty, or worry for her life (and it would be true in a way.)

If any of that's true it could also explain where Anny's dad has been. He never really had much faith in that etheric stuff, so he's continuing to find a cure for the mystery illness just in case. Or, worst case scenario, Surma gave her life as a stalling tactic to give Anthony more time to find the cure, cause she's still suffering from whatever.

All of that is based on what little we know and is therefore all wrong.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
The key to figuring this out, I think, is figuring out why Surma's mother/Annie's grandmother being dead is relevant to the story like Tom said it was.

blazelust posted:

Reminder:

http://www.formspring.me/gunnerkrigg/q/738382970

Tom posted:

Is Surma's mother still alive?
No, she died. That's kind of integral to the entire story.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

Brannock posted:

The key to figuring this out, I think, is figuring out why Surma's mother/Annie's grandmother being dead is relevant to the story like Tom said it was.

Actually, Tom misread that question, it's not actually that important.

Tom's Twitter posted:

Oops, I misread that formspring question as "Is Surma still alive". It's not nearly as important as people think.

http://twitter.com/gunnerkrigg

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

brainwrinkle posted:

Actually, Tom misread that question, it's not actually that important.

http://twitter.com/gunnerkrigg

:shobon:

Well, then. So no phoenix bloodline then as the grandma isn't important to the story. Wonder what it could be then.

The 19th Person
Sep 26, 2010

The devious DARKBRINGER plans to dominate first Lightbringer, and then the entire Midwest!

greth posted:

I get the feeling that Reynardine is sort of the middle ground between Coyote's calculated chaos, and Yserngrim's excessively proud duty.

Yserngrim is superego, Reynardine is ego, Coyote is id.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

The 19th Person posted:

Yserngrim is superego, Reynardine is ego, Coyote is id.
You'd think that a manifestation of superego wouldn't be such an aggressive dick.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Stupid Boob posted:

So my theory after reading the last strip, is that it was Antimony that was dying, and not her mother. Her mom was gradually growing weaker and weaker because she was transfering her own life to Anny to keep her going/cure her. Meanwhile, Anthony is working his rear end off to save Antimony. They told her Surma was dying and Anthony was trying to find the cure that would save her life so she wouldn't feel needlessly guilty, or worry for her life (and it would be true in a way.)

If that was true, then why hasn't Anthony contacted Annie? Why did he go so far as to leave the hospital where he was working and ensure that no one there could tell Annie where he was going? Add this to the fact that Anthony was always kind of distant with Annie and that Annie's only memory of her father is as a faceless figure, it seems a lot like Anthony just couldn't get over Annie's involvement in Surma's death and ran away. I'd expect this is certainly Rey's assessment, and it explains a lot of how Rey has been acting - it's mostly his attempt to prove he is better than Anthony.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Yeah, Renard's whole "Even I would have been better than that man" seems to imply he thinks Anthony dropped Annie because she indirectly killed Surma, and he wouldn't have done the same thing.

Whether this is actually why Anthony left Annie to her own devices is obviously unanswered, but Renard clearly thinks it is and I wouldn't doubt that Annie is going to jump to the same conclusion now that she knows the truth.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

At this rate she's never going to get that homework done.

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug

Fangz posted:

If that was true, then why hasn't Anthony contacted Annie? Why did he go so far as to leave the hospital where he was working and ensure that no one there could tell Annie where he was going? Add this to the fact that Anthony was always kind of distant with Annie and that Annie's only memory of her father is as a faceless figure, it seems a lot like Anthony just couldn't get over Annie's involvement in Surma's death and ran away. I'd expect this is certainly Rey's assessment, and it explains a lot of how Rey has been acting - it's mostly his attempt to prove he is better than Anthony.

no. Anthony left because it's his own lover in his daughter's body. That would lead to alot of many confusing feelings and arkward situations. Imagine if you will, one night, after too many drinks, he stumbled in his daughter's room...

Yeah, that's not going anywhere good at all. It make loads of sense why he's staying far away as possible in this point.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Talas posted:

If she really wanted a child and everyone around her knew she would die if that happened, maybe Anthony was the only one emotionally detached enough to do it.

I think this might work. However, why would Surma have a child so young, then? Was there an urgency to this?

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Dammit Who? posted:

Nah it's cool, she's got Kat's homework to copy from :haw:

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

Dammit Who? posted:

"Assignment: Get a friend mad at you."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

"Assignment: Get a friend mad at you."

"Grade: A+. Great work!"

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

Fecha posted:

You'd think that a manifestation of superego wouldn't be such an aggressive dick.

Sounds like you should read up on Lacan. The superego is an obscene drive, constantly demanded the impossible of us and laughing at us when we fail. So it is appropriate that Yserngrim when in the course of fulfilling his duty to protect the forest has become a weak and wasted laughingstock.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Luckyellow posted:

no. Anthony left because it's his own lover in his daughter's body. That would lead to alot of many confusing feelings and arkward situations. Imagine if you will, one night, after too many drinks, he stumbled in his daughter's room...

Yeah, that's not going anywhere good at all. It make loads of sense why he's staying far away as possible in this point.

...Why would you post this? Why? Eeargh.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Soylentbits posted:

It's not even true. Antimony is not Surma in a child's body, and she's not a literal reincarnation of Surma - Annie was already into double-digits when Surma died; she does not have Surma's memories or personality any more than any child takes after a parent.

We dont know exactly what happened but I can guarantee you it's not so literal as some people are making it out to be.

Guava
Nov 10, 2009

Love's made a fool out of Bear.
Even though it was heartbreaking, I was a little glad to see Annie react the way she did and say all those cruel things to Reynardine. One thing I've been wanting to see is some flaws in Annie, since she seems like an almost infallible character most of the time. I think it added a lot of depth to her character, but it was still painful.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

Soylentbits posted:

Luckily for all of us, there's already been a movie with this exact premise.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Man, it looks like Renard wishes he hadn't said that. I love the distorted frames here, too, they really work for this scene.

Why does this comic not update faster I don't have the strength of will to wait and read it in few-week chunks :(

Detetsu
Jan 14, 2006

Your loyal assistant Dr. Meowgon is all over this one.

I'm strongly behind that phoenix theory now. It'd tie in so well with the language used and events that surround her.

Detetsu fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 7, 2010

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

The art is really shining through now; the distorted panels are used really well.
Annie is going to find someone - probably Kats mum - and tear the poo poo out of them. This will be interpreted by Kat as Annie Being A Butt, holiday trip never happens.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Staggy posted:

The art is really shining through now; the distorted panels are used really well.
Annie is going to find someone - probably Kats mum - and tear the poo poo out of them. This will be interpreted by Kat as Annie Being A Butt, holiday trip never happens.

And Annie will be left at the Court all alone with Reynardine again. :smith:

Detetsu
Jan 14, 2006

Rincewind posted:

And Annie will be left at the Court all alone with Reynardine again. :smith:

or this is the summer that Annie spends in the forest with Coyote.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Detetsu posted:

or this is the summer that Annie spends in the forest with Coyote.

This was about what I was guessing, personally.

Detetsu
Jan 14, 2006

dumb brunette posted:

This was about what I was guessing, personally.

It makes a lot of sense. She was lied to about something incredibly important to her about the adults she trusts around her. The only one who hasn't lied to her is the god in the forest and so it makes sense for her to run to him to find the truth and break down for a few months.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Detetsu posted:

It makes a lot of sense. She was lied to about something incredibly important to her about the adults she trusts around her. The only one who hasn't lied to her is the god in the forest and so it makes sense for her to run to him to find the truth and break down for a few months.

And don't forget, though I can't find the page it was on.

Coyote never lies. He said as much himself (or maybe it was Jones who said it? I forget). He may speak in riddles or obfuscate when he wants to, but he never lies.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm hoping she gets her screaming at Anja done with, has her breakdown, and Anja tells it like it was. Surma totally never seemed bummed out about what was happening. The chapter should have happy end, but I also wouldn't be surprised if she did run to Coyote. Dunno how accepting of Anja's words Annie will be, after all.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I'm looking at Annie's blinker symbol now, and it does seem rather bird-like... Wings with an alchemical symbol in the center. The circle with a dot inside refers to the Sun and/or gold.

Pretty good shot of it here: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=523

Not sure how relevant that is though, since Anja put up the same symbol when using Annie's stone.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Dec 1, 2010

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Oh my God, this is heartbreaking. :smith:

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

My one hope in all of this is that Kat doesn't know about this. Annie needs Kat.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Tarezax posted:

I'm looking at Annie's blinker symbol now, and it does seem rather bird-like... Wings with an alchemical symbol in the center. The circle with a dot inside refers to the Sun and/or gold.

Pretty good shot of it here: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=523

Not sure how relevant that is though, since Anja put up the same symbol when using Annie's stone.

That's the court's symbol. The alchemical symbol has been referred to by Jones (somewhere during the swordfighting, I think) as the symbol for bismuth, to serve as a reminder of the court's origin from etheric sciences.

EDIT: Here's the page. No dot in the middle, but the winged symbol has been used as the court's seal elsewhere, I'm pretty sure.

dumb brunette fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Dec 1, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
Surma knew, and chose to have a child anyway. It was that important to her.