Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

That chick who's always making clothes out of food also gets in some expensive designs, furniture, and super-expensive original artwork later in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

I'm still miffed I can't put anything in my 2nd level of the house. I can carry stuff up there and put it down, but when I go back to the main floor it has warped down there too. I just want a god drat cactus next to my forge!

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

ZarathustraFollower posted:

I'm still miffed I can't put anything in my 2nd level of the house. I can carry stuff up there and put it down, but when I go back to the main floor it has warped down there too. I just want a god drat cactus next to my forge!

That's a fire hazard. You need to keep the forge in your giant tree home up to code.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Whizbang posted:

That's a fire hazard. You need to keep the forge in your giant tree home up to code.

Each game of Harvest Moon should start out with a 47-hour tutorial that consists of filling out loan applications, insurance forms, land permits, and equipment leasing agreements.

Then you spend the next 20 years only growing corn since it has the highest subsidy amount.

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009

Vakal posted:

Each game of Harvest Moon should start out with a 47-hour tutorial that consists of filling out loan applications, insurance forms, land permits, and equipment leasing agreements.

Then you spend the next 20 years only growing corn since it has the highest subsidy amount.

If you were really smart, you wouldn't farm at all. You'd just snap a few pictures of the legendary "harvest goddess" and go to the media.

And as for Rune Factory... you're powerful enough to kill giant goddamn trolls with your fireball spells. Why are you farming in the first place?

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Does RF3 have that annoying-rear end thing where every gem, ore, and monster drop also has a level, forcing you to carry 3-5 stacks of otherwise identical items?

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Zenzirouj posted:

Does RF3 have that annoying-rear end thing where every gem, ore, and monster drop also has a level, forcing you to carry 3-5 stacks of otherwise identical items?
Food, fish, animal products, crops and potions (Basically anything edible) have levels but monster drops, ores, gems, etc do not.
Weapons and tools also have levels but they don't stack anyways.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

There are a lot of items that are marked with levels, but do not appear to exist with any level past 1. Basically anything that's not edible.

e;f,b

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Revol posted:

And why not? The hero barges into everybody's homes at any time, day or night. In a sleepy village where nobody locks the doors, they ended up having to because of the new guy in town.

... this leads to unintentional creepiness when I take a quest first thing in the morning. Hello... I'll walk into your house and stare at you while you sleep. Yes, I am a stranger who wasn't around a month ago.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Good. That multiple level thing for crafting items was dumb as hell to have made it into the first RF, much less survived intact into the second one. In some ways it was worse in the second one, since you pretty much never got higher levels of ore/gems until you get the hammer upgraded a bit, so it's like being punished for making a better item.

In general I don't understand why HM games make it so easy to amass an insane fortune and/or become an unkillable demigod, yet buying a ton of storage space is somehow beyond your reach.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Speaking of which, do you ever get to upgrade storage more than once? I've upgraded my fridge and storage box, but it's still not enough to hold all the ridiculous pieces of junk I somehow need to have sitting around to make crafting less annoying.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Gaius: "Is there a girl that you like?"

>Yes
"Oh, that's boring."

>No
"Love is nice, isn't it!?" (as his voice says 'Wow!')

Does he know about me and Carlos

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Corridor posted:

Speaking of which, do you ever get to upgrade storage more than once? I've upgraded my fridge and storage box, but it's still not enough to hold all the ridiculous pieces of junk I somehow need to have sitting around to make crafting less annoying.

Nope, better get ready to ship a ton of poo poo.
RF4 really should add the 99 max stacks from RFF.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Aaargh I can't tame the little wizards in the Winter Dungeon. I've thrown so much stuff at it in hopes that they would join me and spawn magic powders for crafting. :3

Also (from the Raven date scene):

Raven: "Do you think about marraige?"
Me: "I have a kid."
Raven: :stare:

Some of the responses are just wacky.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

Stroth posted:

Two questions. How did you do this? And far more importantly, how can I do this?

If you have homebrew already it should be fairly simple. There are a couple of things that can run these codes. I've got all my wii games on an external hard-drive and I use WiiFlow to play them. WiiFlow has a built in cheat engine called Ocarina. You can also download Ocarina separately and run it, or I think you can use GeckoOS if you're going to use discs.

If your RFF is PAL, put this in a UNIX ANSI txt file

code:
RUFP99
Rune Factory :Frontier

Disable Runeys
04452D9C 3C3C3C3C
04452DA0 3C3C3C3C
04452DA4 3C3C3C3C
04452DA8 3C3C3C3C
04452DAC 3C3C3C3C
04452DB0 3C3C3C3C
04452DB4 3C3C3C3C
04452DB8 3C3C3C3C
04452DBC 3C3C3C3C
If it's NTSC then put this in

code:
RUFEMV
Rune Factory :Frontier

Disable Runeys
04492b9c 3C3C3C3C
04492ba0 3C3C3C3C
04492ba4 3C3C3C3C
04492ba8 3C3C3C3C
04492bac 3C3C3C3C
04492bb0 3C3C3C3C
04492bb4 3C3C3C3C
04492bb8 3C3C3C3C
04492bbc 3C3C3C3C
This code sets all Runeys to 60 in every area. Even if you use the harvester and empty the area as soon as you leave they reset to 60 again.

Just enable whichever cheat thingy you're using as per the documentation for it, and enable this particular code if possible, or just the entire thing if not. If you use Wiiflow the txt should be in SDCARD/wiiflow/txtcodes. If you're using something else then it wants to be in either SDCARD/txtcodes or SDCARD/codes depending on what the instructions for your cheat thing say. Depending on the one you use you may also need to convert the txt to .gct using codemgr.exe, which I downloaded in a rar file called 'ocarina'.

If you post back saying you use WiiFlow or you're willing to then I'll upload the correct txt for you and you just pop it in SDCARD/wiiflow/txtcodes. If you want to do this, let me know if your version is PAL (UK/EU) or NTSC (US).

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Dragongem posted:

Aaargh I can't tame the little wizards in the Winter Dungeon. I've thrown so much stuff at it in hopes that they would join me and spawn magic powders for crafting. :3

Also (from the Raven date scene):

Raven: "Do you think about marraige?"
Me: "I have a kid."
Raven: :stare:

Some of the responses are just wacky.

I think you can get magic powder from fairies in the fall dungeon, which are easier to befriend. Unless that item is called fairy powder, not sure.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Tufty posted:

This code sets all Runeys to 60 in every area. Even if you use the harvester and empty the area as soon as you leave they reset to 60 again.
Won't that give you prospering in every area, which'll super accelerate plant growth, aka cheating? :colbert:

To really "disable" Runeys, use 14141414 (20) instead of 3C3C3C3C (60), though some flowers will take forever to create (100+ days for some I think?!).

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

maketakunai posted:

Won't that give you prospering in every area, which'll super accelerate plant growth, aka cheating? :colbert:

To really "disable" Runeys, use 14141414 (20) instead of 3C3C3C3C (60), though some flowers will take forever to create (100+ days for some I think?!).

If I wanted everything to take forever to grow I would have just ignored the runey system and let them all die. I don't want my turnips to take 20 days so I cheated. I'm not ashamed :)

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Tufty posted:

If I wanted everything to take forever to grow I would have just ignored the runey system and let them all die. I don't want my turnips to take 20 days so I cheated. I'm not ashamed :)
They only take four days to grow if you have all not-dying not-flourishing zones (20 of each everywhere). Coincidentally, that's their base growth rate. :colbert:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

maketakunai posted:

They only take four days to grow if you have all not-dying not-flourishing zones (20 of each everywhere). Coincidentally, that's their base growth rate. :colbert:
I think you're missing the point here.

Also I wanted to throw out that after the Runey system, the monster befriending system was the lamest part of Frontier.
Monsters took forever to build friendship with, which sucked hard for the ones that produced products, but even worse for the ones that performed tasks, since their friendship level determined their speed. A harvesting monster would harvest as many tiles as he had friendship levels at a time. Early on this meant they were pretty worthless, but a 10-friendship monster could ship your whole feel several times faster than you ever could, especially since you harvested SO SLOW in Frontier. The downside is that they could only handle a 3x3 field at a time, so if their friendship was level 8, they'd do their little harvest animation once and ship 9 crops, then they'd do it again and ship just 1. Same went for watering animals (who were very unreliable and would never water the whole field). The only ones that really worked at a reliable pace were the stone-destroyers, since not very many new stones would generate per day. Even the plant-gatherers wouldn't gather the weeds, so you'd always have to deal with them manually.
Again, it wouldn't be a big deal except that it took so long to build their friendship. At least if you gave them a runestone they'd have a kid at their friendship level, so you only had to befriend 1 cow/sheep/hornet up to max level and then you could breed as many top-level monsters of that species as you wanted.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I played A Wonderful Life on PS2 and Gamecube, loved it, it was very Zen. I need more chill games like that. Having only AWL as a reference point, are there any of the DS Harvest Moons that would be more or less recommended? There are a few, and then there is Rune Factory... help me out here.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

projecthalaxy posted:

I played A Wonderful Life on PS2 and Gamecube, loved it, it was very Zen. I need more chill games like that. Having only AWL as a reference point, are there any of the DS Harvest Moons that would be more or less recommended? There are a few, and then there is Rune Factory... help me out here.

Yeah I'm a big fan of the main series and Twin Villages is by far the best DS one. It'll probably have an english release next year. The only DS one I haven't played is Grand Bazaar and it's supposed to be alright. All the other DS games are horrible.

Although if you liked AWL basically any of them will be as good ;)

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Whoopsie, I found a glitch in RF3. When you do Sofia's first request, the one where you bring her a cooked dish, you can apparently keep giving her cooked dishes (even a failed dish) and she'll give you the 2000 gold reward over and over again. It happened when I tried to give her a failed dish as a gift after completing the request. It would be more useful if money was actually an issue, but there it is.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
So are there any sort of multiplayer functions to RF3?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Blhue posted:

So are there any sort of multiplayer functions to RF3?

You can do dungeon crawling with 2-3 other people using local wireless play. No wi-fi though. :/ Oh and leaderboards based on festival points and whatnot with the top spots already filled action-replayed scores. At least you get stat boost items when you update yourself to the board.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

naptalan posted:

If you were really smart, you wouldn't farm at all. You'd just snap a few pictures of the legendary "harvest goddess" and go to the media.

Paparazzi Moon does have a certain ring to it.

projecthalaxy posted:

I'm tempted to pimp Grand Bazaar, but the actual bazaar mechanic might turn you off. Usually on Saturday the bazaar opens up and that's where you sell your wares instead of using a shipping bin. The game has a pretty good pace, it doesn't throw everything at you at once, like you don't even get your horse until year 2. It clips along well, the people are fairly interesting, and it's pretty.

I've actually stopped playing it religiously and instead just pick it up when I have a free 20 minutes or so to knock out a day. The only other comparison I have is the original HM DS, which took a lot more work for me to be able to knock a day out in. And some people don't like the bazaar mechanic, but I think it's a fun little break in the farming routine.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

endolithic posted:

Whoopsie, I found a glitch in RF3. When you do Sofia's first request, the one where you bring her a cooked dish, you can apparently keep giving her cooked dishes (even a failed dish) and she'll give you the 2000 gold reward over and over again. It happened when I tried to give her a failed dish as a gift after completing the request. It would be more useful if money was actually an issue, but there it is.

Does she keep giving you rewards until you bring her the right dish?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll look into Grand Bazaar. I enjoy the "managing a store" minigames in almost every game I have seen them in, so that should be good. It's like doing my terrible retail job, but I'm an anime farmer instead!

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
Another possible bug in RF3. I tried giving a strawberry I grew to the town mayor for the spring crop festival, but he kept refusing it saying I didn't grow it. So I thought gently caress it, I'd try giving him a golden pumpkin I found in the desert. He accepted it, oddly enough, and moved to the cutscene.

Here's where it gets weird. He then declares that my crop doesn't count because it's out of season (even specifies my name). Then declares the winners: I'm 1st place :wtc:, then whoever else was 2nd and 3rd place.

After the cutscene I get congratulations and a chest full of bread, and I even get my golden pumpkin back. Weird.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Office Thug posted:

Another possible bug in RF3. I tried giving a strawberry I grew to the town mayor for the spring crop festival, but he kept refusing it saying I didn't grow it. So I thought gently caress it, I'd try giving him a golden pumpkin I found in the desert. He accepted it, oddly enough, and moved to the cutscene.

Here's where it gets weird. He then declares that my crop doesn't count because it's out of season (even specifies my name). Then declares the winners: I'm 1st place :wtc:, then whoever else was 2nd and 3rd place.

After the cutscene I get congratulations and a chest full of bread, and I even get my golden pumpkin back. Weird.

It's not a bug. This is entirely in character with the mayor's senile dementia.

Pia's been getting weirder lately, which I didn't think possible. "I have dreams of the ocean, but they're always sad and I wake up crying. :keke: Why are my ocean dreams so gloomy?" *happy giggle*

I just know that if I marry her I'll end up in a sashimi dish some morning.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Office Thug posted:

I think you get a point bonus if the crop is in the correct season, but a golden pumpkin is probably so much more valuable than any of the other contestants you won anyway.

Night Gaunt
Jan 9, 2007

Does Kuruna still call you comrade if you marry her? The answer will be very important in my decision making process.

Although I'll probably marry Daria anyway. She had me at "you'd make a nice wife". :allears:

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

Corridor posted:

It's not a bug. This is entirely in character with the mayor's senile dementia.

Pia's been getting weirder lately, which I didn't think possible. "I have dreams of the ocean, but they're always sad and I wake up crying. :keke: Why are my ocean dreams so gloomy?" *happy giggle*

I just know that if I marry her I'll end up in a sashimi dish some morning.

I think she's indirectly trying to get me killed by telling Sakuya I treat her harshly ("Tee hee!" :keke:). Shino's gonna smother me in my sleep. :ohdear:

She's actually pretty adorable otherwise, and I enjoy her random bouts of lucidity.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

endolithic posted:

I think she's indirectly trying to get me killed by telling Sakuya I treat her harshly ("Tee hee!" :keke:). Shino's gonna smother me in my sleep. :ohdear:

She's actually pretty adorable otherwise, and I enjoy her random bouts of lucidity.

Tch, Shino doesn't smother people with pillows like a wussy coward. Shino would show your heart to you before you died. All with that same bland housewife smile.

I took her along with me earlier on a run through the Vale. Why the gently caress have I not recruited her before? She's a goddamn powerhouse and just ripped straight through those assholes with her duel-wield daggers. It took me 3 seasons to get tough enough to just survive this loving dungeon! Why the hell have I been wasting my time with Kuruna and Carlos?

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

Corridor posted:

Tch, Shino doesn't smother people with pillows like a wussy coward. Shino would show your heart to you before you died. All with that same bland housewife smile.
You make a fair point. She'd probably use that "oh my!" voice clip, too.

Shino's the best.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I liked Rune Factory, hows the second one?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Raepdog posted:

I liked Rune Factory, hows the second one?

Second one is much better, but Rune Factory 3 is out now and is even better. If you're to get an RF game, RF3 is the one.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
If for some reason you decide to play both 2 and 3, you should play 2 first. If you go back to 2 after playing 3 you will be annoyed at the absence of some features.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
So lesse.

I happen to have a DS and a Wii. I happen to also be interested in the Harvest Moon stuff.

My DS may or may not be slightly broken, I have no idea any more. With this in mind, what game should I look into?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Mountaineer posted:

If for some reason you decide to play both 2 and 3, you should play 2 first. If you go back to 2 after playing 3 you will be annoyed at the absence of some features.

In actuality, you should just play 3 twice.

• Locked thread