Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I liked going to see bands and collecting my tickets, then I started seeing bands where all I'd get was a stamp on the wrist. Purchased a Konica Z10 in 2004, shot with it for about 18 months before upgrading to a Canon 350D. At first all I knew how to do was take photos of bands, for anything outside of that I was pretty much on auto. In the last couple of years I've done a lot of reading and experimenting, but I've still got an absolute shitload to learn.

The more I learn, the more I realise I suck :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
So I just went on a little photo outing with a friend and he asked for all of the pictures after we got back. I gave him unedited 500kb copies of everything. Then he posted the good ones (and some not so good ones) on his facebook. What would Jesus do in this situation? I know he doesn't mean anything by it, he just wants his friends and family to see where he's been. And I know I can improve most of them with a little post processing and all of our mutual friends will know I shot everything when I clean them up and post them, but still... it feels like plagiarism and I don't like it :colbert:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Develop your stuff before giving it to him?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

spf3million posted:

So I just went on a little photo outing with a friend and he asked for all of the pictures after we got back. I gave him unedited 500kb copies of everything. Then he posted the good ones (and some not so good ones) on his facebook. What would Jesus do in this situation? I know he doesn't mean anything by it, he just wants his friends and family to see where he's been. And I know I can improve most of them with a little post processing and all of our mutual friends will know I shot everything when I clean them up and post them, but still... it feels like plagiarism and I don't like it :colbert:

Are you worried he's going to claim them as his own or what? Is he a photographer too? Why do you care if people mistakenly think they're his on facebook? It's facebook, not a portfolio.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Are you worried he's going to claim them as his own or what? Is he a photographer too? Why do you care if people mistakenly think they're his on facebook? It's facebook, not a portfolio.

Yeah really, in a similar way... Sometimes people take the photos I've taken of them from flickr and upload them to their profiles, there's nothing wrong with that really, they're not claiming to own them or anything, they just want people to see. I think it's quite flattering.

It is a bit of a fine line though and if I was your friend I would have put "taken by so and so" in the comments if it's not clear who did.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I guess I do care that by not giving me credit, someone is offhandedly claiming something that is mine as his own creation. Would I be alone in this feeling? Maybe I'm being a big girl. Now that I think about it, I post my pictures online because I like getting positive feedback about them. Why does anyone else? -ok aside from when looking for work or when asking for critique.

My thinking behind not processing them first is that it'd be even more like plagiarism if I gave out edited versions. I know, easy solution is just don't give them out in the first place. Didn't intend to whine about it, just thought some of you may have shared similar experiences.

e:

l33tc4k30fd00m posted:

Yeah really, in a similar way... Sometimes people take the photos I've taken of them from flickr and upload them to their profiles, there's nothing wrong with that really, they're not claiming to own them or anything, they just want people to see. I think it's quite flattering.

It is a bit of a fine line though and if I was your friend I would have put "taken by so and so" in the comments if it's not clear who did.
Yeah, if it were just pics of him, then no I have no problem with that. Maybe I wasn't loved as a child and need people to think I'm a good photographer to stroke my ego or something.

spf3million fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 29, 2010

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

spf3million posted:

I guess I do care that by not giving me credit, someone is offhandedly claiming something that is mine as his own creation. Would I be alone in this feeling? Maybe I'm being a big girl. Now that I think about it, I post my pictures online because I like getting positive feedback about them. Why does anyone else?

You're thinking like a photographer and not a "normal" person. Look at your friends facebooks. Chances are they have anywhere from a dozen to hundreds of horrible P&S photos of them and their friends and the places they've been. Normal people post photos to share their experiences, not to show off their technical skill. If someone commented on one and was like "hey, awesome picture!" and he just said "thanks!" then you might have some justification, but as it is I think you're over-thinking it.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
It's not like it's hard to put "and so-and-so took some pictures" in the album title or description, or tag yourself in the album when the photographer posts them, or post their album to your wall or whatever. Plenty of options that don't imply they're your own photos.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh
http://vimeo.com/11516546

This is the best ever photography lecturer.

I HATE CARS fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 30, 2010

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I HATE CARS posted:

Our design instructor in college (animation) was just like this. He was awesome, I honestly wish that kind of critique would carry over into the working world, I really miss it.

gib
Jul 14, 2004
I am probably Lowtax
The lecturer may be good but the video was kinda pointless. We can't see any of the stuff he's talking about clearly and half of the video is him yelling at some idiot who didn't show up to class.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

aliencowboy posted:

Our design instructor in college (animation) was just like this. He was awesome, I honestly wish that kind of critique would carry over into the working world, I really miss it.

Maybe he's being taken out of context, but this Roland guy just seems to say whether stuff is poo poo or gold without explaining why. I don't see the benefit of trashing something without talking what might have made it good.

Though granted, the people he digs into seem incapable of vocalizing a coherent thought. So maybe they deserve it.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Hey y'all, I've got a question about photo paper.

I'm doing a project where I'm using sensors to take data about the viewers movement. That data will be sent to a set of LEDs. The LEDs will turn on and off depending on the data, and then servo motors will move a piece of photo paper around. The end result, hopefully, will be crazy designs/abstract portraits of the users.

My question: what would be the best paper to use? Something like this or straight up photo paper? Or fuji instant? Ideally this will be a quick print so the user can take it away almost immediately.

Any ideas?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

spog posted:

I respectfully disagree. That fee is solely so that they can make money.

In fact, the whole competition is just a method of earning money. They want as many people as possible to enter at all levels of skill.

It takes less than 5 seconds per photo to weed out the bad/average ones, and at $15 per photo, it is a very profitable venture.
You paid $10 for an account here. Do you think that was solely so SA could make money?

brad industry posted:

No dude most photo magazines (and increasingly a lot of other photo organizations) use contests to generate revenue and that is the main reason they do it. I would go as far as saying certain photo magazines are almost entirely funded by entry fees to their contests.
This is Natgeo ffs.

Of course this is partly to make money. But not solely.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I HATE CARS posted:

If I dress and act like a homeless methhead will it improve my photography?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

spf3million posted:

Similar thing happened to me recently. I did family pictures for a friend, emailed them the proofs, they threw them up and didn't bother replacing when I'd gotten them the pictures. Pissed me off, but taught me to never give digital proofs.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

mr. mephistopheles posted:

If I dress and act like a homeless methhead will it improve my photography?
Try it. I suspect it will, but I want to see the proof.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

xzzy posted:

Maybe he's being taken out of context, but this Roland guy just seems to say whether stuff is poo poo or gold without explaining why. I don't see the benefit of trashing something without talking what might have made it good.

Though granted, the people he digs into seem incapable of vocalizing a coherent thought. So maybe they deserve it.

Exactly. Any old fucker can critique something. You can talk for hours about why something is bad or average. The key is to present what can be done for it to be improved. That's the difference between a bad teacher and a good one. The only photos I could really make it were the Mexican food shots. They seemed to be pretty drat boring shots and I agree with his assessment of them being average. However, he did not say at all what could be done to improve them or what he would like to see instead. Not having context about the assignment sucks.

If somebody sucks tell them they suck but also tell them why and what they can do to improve. What separates a lovely (yet charismatic) teacher from a good one is the ability to help the student improve. I did not watch the whole thing but I did not see any of that here.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

ZoCrowes posted:

I did not watch the whole thing but I did not see any of that here.

Yeah, you didn't miss much. Other than a rant about how much being a designer sucks and how some girl is never going to make it as one because she missed a class.

The only part worth watching in that video was the part where the kid tried to explain how the ice cream was used as a tool to promote blind patriotism. That was pretty hilarious.

baccaruda
Jan 10, 2008
Hay guys! I'm having a photo contest! :dance:
Entry fee is $5 per photographer + $1 per photo entered! You can enter UNLIMITED photos!!1
The prize is 50% of the take, I mean, of the aggregate fees collected :smug:, and I will post ANY COMPLIMENT YOU WANT on your Flickr page! PM me to enter!!!

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

baccaruda posted:

Hay guys! I'm having a photo contest! :dance:
Entry fee is $5 per photographer + $1 per photo entered! You can enter UNLIMITED photos!!1
The prize is 50% of the take, I mean, of the aggregate fees collected :smug:, and I will post ANY COMPLIMENT YOU WANT on your Flickr page! PM me to enter!!!

what's your paypal??

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

pwn posted:

You paid $10 for an account here. Do you think that was solely so SA could make money?

Yes?

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
I didn't see this mentioned. I think it's absolutely hilarious.

http://gawno.com/2009/05/78-photography-rules/

If only I had known about these rules before!

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

sildargod posted:

I didn't see this mentioned. I think it's absolutely hilarious.

If only I had known about these rules before!

These are oddly specific.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
That's a weird list. I get that its a joke, but some of it might actually be useful (the cell phone thing, side lighting) and then some of it is just completely retarded (don't leave the lens cap on!).

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I think there's an element of Latvian humor that we're missing out on.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I think there's an element of Latvian humor that we're missing out on.

Drink two bottles of vodka and it will all make sense.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010

HPL posted:

Drink two bottles of vodka and it will all make sense.

No! Don't take photos drunk!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sildargod posted:

No! Don't take photos drunk!

In Latvia, that's not drunk, that's just quenching thirst.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Casull posted:

So how did you guys get into photography anyway?

I was always interested in photography as a "thing to do", but I never actually bothered to learn the mechanics until I got ridiculously frustrated that my P&S photos weren't coming out how I wanted them and I couldn't understand why.

I bought a Canon 350D with the kit lens and was ridiculously happy until I started reading about other cameras and got gear lust. Then instead of sticking with the body I had and saving for better glass I made some terrible buying and selling decisions which led me to become so ridiculously frustrated with photography that I basically didn't want to take my terrible camera and lovely lenses outside at all.

Then I liquidated everything and bought my Nikon D200 and now I'm happy just taking photos again for the most part. I've decided not to worry about my out of date body and just be happy learning what it can do. The newer bodies will all come down the road, I just want to worry about getting better with what I can afford right now and not get frustrated because I don't have the latest and greatest 10-400 f/1.2 macro lens or something.

It's been an interesting... three years? But at least it's been a learning experience.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Martytoof posted:

I was always interested in photography as a "thing to do", but I never actually bothered to learn the mechanics until I got ridiculously frustrated that my P&S photos weren't coming out how I wanted them and I couldn't understand why.

That was pretty much my exact reasons for getting into DSLRs, I hated how they always looked like noisy terrible photos. I didn't know anything about ISO/Aperture at the time (I knew what shutter speed did, that was about it) so that might have helped a bit, but still.

First I went to a Nikon Coolpix 5700 (one of those sorta P&S/sorta DSLR cameras), and it was fine until coffee was spilled upon it... Then I bought my D90.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My main motivation for getting a DSLR is I wanted to photograph automotive races, and it's one of those subjects where gear definitely matters. A P&S has nowhere near the reach to fill the frame with a car that's 100+ feet away.

But I don't go to races every week, so to justify the purchase, I started taking pictures of everything else. I'm still pretty green but I feel like I've learned a lot in the time since. Implementation of the knowledge is still an issue, but that comes with time.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

xzzy posted:

My main motivation for getting a DSLR is I wanted to photograph automotive races, and it's one of those subjects where gear definitely matters. A P&S has nowhere near the reach to fill the frame with a car that's 100+ feet away.

But I don't go to races every week, so to justify the purchase, I started taking pictures of everything else. I'm still pretty green but I feel like I've learned a lot in the time since. Implementation of the knowledge is still an issue, but that comes with time.

My wife's p&s has some crazy 600+mm equivalent zoom, so I demand a better excuse!

Kidding obviously, though I can't think of any applications where gear doesn't make quite a big difference, but I guess your excuse is as good as any other non-professionals.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, I started off with a Fuji Finepix S5100. Not a terrible camera I guess, but I could probably have done better if I had known more.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well okay, the P&S I owned wasn't up to the task. And believe me, I did try.

(Powershot A620, great little camera all things considered)

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

xzzy posted:

Well okay, the P&S I owned wasn't up to the task. And believe me, I did try.

(Powershot A620, great little camera all things considered)

Heh...I had one of those. I dug it out recently and stuck it on eBay, and someone paid me £90 for it despite the fact it was at least five years old (although in good condition, I must say).

I was shocked that someone paid me that much for such an old p&s. Is this a sought after model or something?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

moron posted:

I was shocked that someone paid me that much for such an old p&s. Is this a sought after model or something?

I wouldn't know, but I never had any complaints with mine. I still keep it in the bag as a backup. Only reason I retired it is as stated above.. didn't have enough zoom for what I wanted to do. I do remember when it was new, it had universally good reviews for a camera in its price range.

Maybe the guy wanted it as a trade in for the Canon loyalty program? $140 seems pretty high for that, but perhaps he was desperate.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

I HATE CARS posted:

My first photography professor was like that. This is the introductory photo course offered by my school. ~35 people at the beginning of the semester, 6 finished. Probably a litte harsh for the first photo course most of the people will ever take, but great for getting the students out of the mindset of just wanting to be appreciated. After spending time with a prof like that, you work your rear end off to legitimately earn any praise you get.
I think it's very important to FEEL like you're earning your kudos, too. There are people in the program who are just objectively TERRIBLE photographers and I just know they never had that certain professor. He would be fair with his critiques, but wouldn't just say something nice about it either. Some of these terrible photographers go through all their assignments always having at least something nice said about thair work and it makes them lazy.

That's why I'm sort of in disagreement with some of the people saying that Roland isn't giving them enough information in his critiques. Sometimes saying a photo is boring or uninspired is the exact problem. I've seen plenty of well-exposed pictures with good technical aspects that are just boring. It doesn't always need to be expanded beyond that.

My Flickr Page! :nws:

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

McMadCow posted:

My first photography professor was like that. This is the introductory photo course offered by my school. ~35 people at the beginning of the semester, 6 finished. Probably a litte harsh for the first photo course most of the people will ever take, but great for getting the students out of the mindset of just wanting to be appreciated. After spending time with a prof like that, you work your rear end off to legitimately earn any praise you get.
I think it's very important to FEEL like you're earning your kudos, too. There are people in the program who are just objectively TERRIBLE photographers and I just know they never had that certain professor. He would be fair with his critiques, but wouldn't just say something nice about it either. Some of these terrible photographers go through all their assignments always having at least something nice said about thair work and it makes them lazy.

That's why I'm sort of in disagreement with some of the people saying that Roland isn't giving them enough information in his critiques. Sometimes saying a photo is boring or uninspired is the exact problem. I've seen plenty of well-exposed pictures with good technical aspects that are just boring. It doesn't always need to be expanded beyond that.

There's nothing wrong with being harsh but at the same time you have to give something constructive. Any rear end in a top hat can be a critic and call something boring. A real teacher will tell you what to do to improve. If it's boring tell them why and what they can do to improve. Especially in lower level courses. I've been teaching scuba diving professionally/full time since I was a teenager and I'm now an instructor trainer so I tend to harp on this poo poo a lot.

I had a guy who was working his way up as a scuba instructor who was truly awful. I was his trainer so it was my job to help him stop being awful to students. It's not what he said either it's how he said it. You can't just tell people they are "going to die" and then not follow up on why what tey are doing is going to get them killed. You're just belittling them rather than educating.

Same thing with something like this. If it's a loving horrid photograph part of being an instructor is elaborating on why it's horrible and what they can do to improve it. That's what being a good teacher is all about. If you can't do that then you have no business teaching. Just because you are a great artist/photographer/musician/diver/whatever does not mean you can teach someone how to do what you do.

Also a student is going to be more responsive to somebody who can say something positive about their work even if it's just something minor (nice exposure or it's a great print.) A student is less likely to say "Well gently caress him he is just singling me out and I'm not going to listen to a drat thing he says" even if what the instructor is saying will help their work.

That's actually why I don't post in PAD that much. Though I think giving and receiving critique is very important. I can tell you why I think your photo sucks all day long but I may not being able to tell you what to do to improve. I tend to prefer group critiques in person (which I do with my photo friends every so often) because I might be able to say it sucks and have no idea how to improve it but someone there might.

tl;dr- Any rear end in a top hat can say something sucks. A good teacher will help you to stop sucking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!

ZoCrowes posted:

tl;dr- Any rear end in a top hat can say something sucks. A good teacher will help you to stop sucking.

A good teacher will not tell you what to see though. He or she should acknowledge your achievements and tell you what isn't good but to expect a teacher form vision for you(the most important thing for a photographer) isn't good.