Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

8ender posted:

Yes. I also live in a small town and people think I'm Bill loving Gates rolling around in my 17 year old BMW with door rust. Also everyone with a stupid straight piped Dodge Ram wants to race me.

There is one other E34 in my town and the owner was so excited to see mine that he scurried down a hydro pole he was working on to get me to pull over and talk about it. Nice guy. Too bad he bought the automatic 2.0L M50B20 version.

Canada got 520i's? I think the lowest trim level in the US was the 525i.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

rscott posted:

Canada got 520i's? I think the lowest trim level in the US was the 525i.

I thought so too but its definitely a 520i. Single exhaust pipe, badge and everything. Its kind of an unfortunate stripper model E34. 170hp and an automatic is a pretty anemic combo to push around a loaded E34. Nearly no options whatsoever however it does have the same winter package as mine does, which means it gets the limited slip diff, headlight washers and heated seats.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...
Figured I'd post here since you guys probably turn more wrenches than talk about angel eyes and such. My 01 330i w/5 speed manual appears to have it's throw out bearing taking a poo poo. I press the clutch and get a pulsing feeling like when your ABS kicks in. Someone mentioned that the t/o bearing has these plastic tabs known for breaking, causing it to sit deeper in the arm, and therefor making slight contact with the fingers on the clutch.

The clutch holds strong, I put it in 5th gear at about 20 and floored the gas and it held, so pretty sure the clutch is still going strong.

So anyways, one friend of mine said pulling the trans on these cars is a pain in the rear end to do in a driveway/on my back. I haven't been able to talk to him since he said that to ask why, and I am posing this to you guys. I've yanked plenty of transmissions in the driveway, but all front wheel drive, and am wondering what would cause this car to be that much more difficult to pull the trans.

From what I can see it's pretty straight forward: Pull exhaust, pull drive shaft, pull heat shields, then pull trans. Did I miss something?

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Fermunky posted:

From what I can see it's pretty straight forward: Pull exhaust, pull drive shaft, pull heat shields, then pull trans. Did I miss something?
Do you have a 3-foot 1/2"-3/8" locking impact extension with a bunch of e-torx swivel bits( I want to say E8, 10, and 12)? They make taking out the trans bolts a lot easier. You also need a lot of clearance under the car to unbolt the front of the driveshaft. The way it has to come out, I don't think it would be a good idea to drop it without a lift.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

I believe I've read some stories of the ridiculous amounts on extensions and swivels. Didn't know that about the drive shaft though. I just found out that one of my friends has a brother with a full lift in his garage (barn...) that I may be able to use, which will be nice.

I did not think the trans bolts would be torx though. If that's the case, I'll need to go and get some of those.

According to RealOEM (when did they give it a facelift? Looks nice) , there are 5 different bolts mating the trans to the engine:
Torx bolt M12X50
Torx bolt M12X90
Torx bolt M8X50
Hex bolt M6X12
Torx bolt M10X65

Thanks

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Dyscrasia posted:

I have been dealing with an oil leak on my E30 w/ M42 engine.

I found that the oil pan did not have a gasket and I am betting thats where the leak was.

The problem is that now I stripped out at least one of the holes on the upper oil pan that holds the lower oil pan on. Turns out my torque wrench does NOT work at 9 ft-lbs.

I've got some helicoils coming in the mail. Is that my best bet? Any other tips?

That pretty much is your option if you've damaged the threads.

It should have a gasket indeed, but have you cleaned and inspected the cover? They sit very low and as you will have seen, are quite brittle little things. You can have a hairline crack around the sump bolt where it has smacked into something and not see it unless the sump cover's clean and you look at it closely in good light.

Only other suggestions, get 16 new bolts (or however many it is), use loctite and don't use a torque wrench for the reason you've just discovered.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Decided I didn't want a convertible, so here's the next car I'm looking at.

2005 330ci ~52,000miles asking $16,500. Single owner, selling because he has two cars and two dogs and doesn't need it anymore.

I went by and drove it today, everything runs smoothly and aside from the usual interior wear it's in perfect shape. I don't think he's hiding anything as he met me right at his house haha.

What do you guys think? Should I offer him $15,000 and meet him somewhere in the middle?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

So there was a little sleet on the ground today and I got to experience lift off oversteer for the first time. The E34 has the skinny stock size winter tires on and I went for an advanced green pretty aggressively and then stupidly decided to shift to third mid corner. Unexpected drifting across two lanes isn't as fun as it looks.

I've always had a FWD or AWD car in the past. I need to relearn how to drive or I'm gonna crash this winter :smith:

8ender fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 30, 2010

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

Luckily in Florida I learned this pretty quickly from the constants rains we had when I bought my car. This is also my first RWD car (well, the first since I cared about driving, I do not count my 85 Cougar).

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Mad Dragon posted:

Do you have a 3-foot 1/2"-3/8" locking impact extension with a bunch of e-torx swivel bits( I want to say E8, 10, and 12)? They make taking out the trans bolts a lot easier. You also need a lot of clearance under the car to unbolt the front of the driveshaft. The way it has to come out, I don't think it would be a good idea to drop it without a lift.

How are the e46 driveshafts configured? On my e30 the issue was transmission clearance - I had the car on jackstands, almost at full height and i still had to drop the transmission off the jack and drag it out from under the car, making beautiful scraping noises.

If you're going to the trouble of pulling the transmission, you might as well do everything else related to that job if you have the money. I would NOT want to pull it to replace a throwout bearing only to need a clutch job a year later.

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies
Hey all, just looking for a bit of help with removing the radio in my E30. It's not one of the ones with the little tab on the side and a 5-sided Allen key, it looks like there's four holes that you push in, and it somehow pops out. However, I can push all of them except the bottom right hole, which won't let the piece of wire in any further than maybe 10 cm/4"... any thoughts on how to go about it without disassembling the entire dash? It's a RHD '90 318i from Australia, if that helps any. Pictures are below, pardon the iphone quality.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Click here for the full 1200x1600 image.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
What's the cool slider on the top right? Is that left-right balance/fade? Mine just has rear wiper buttons, I'm jealous.

Sorry I can't help with the actual question, mine came without a radio.

hawaiian_robot posted:

Hey all, just looking for a bit of help with removing the radio in my E30. It's not one of the ones with the little tab on the side and a 5-sided Allen key, it looks like there's four holes that you push in, and it somehow pops out. However, I can push all of them except the bottom right hole, which won't let the piece of wire in any further than maybe 10 cm/4"... any thoughts on how to go about it without disassembling the entire dash? It's a RHD '90 318i from Australia, if that helps any. Pictures are below, pardon the iphone quality.

Click here for the full 1200x1600 image.

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

I think it's a front/rear fader... which is probably going to make putting in a new head unit that much more complicated.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

8ender posted:

I thought so too but its definitely a 520i. Single exhaust pipe, badge and everything. Its kind of an unfortunate stripper model E34. 170hp and an automatic is a pretty anemic combo to push around a loaded E34. Nearly no options whatsoever however it does have the same winter package as mine does, which means it gets the limited slip diff, headlight washers and heated seats.

German taxi spotted.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

That looks suspiciously like the radio remover tool holes on my 1994 Ford Explorer

$3 online, but I fashioned mine out of an old coat hanger and some wire cutters. Push in the holes and "pull" them apart. Then pull the whole radio unit forward. Will probably take a few tries to get it right.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Dec 1, 2010

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

Okay, awesome! I had already cut a coat hanger in half to try and poke the holes in invididually (:doh:), but I'll give that a go right now and let you know how it is. Thanks for the idea!

Edit: Okay, couldn't find another hanger, will try again later or possibly fork out for the tool. Still, it's better to know roughly how it's done, thanks again Hadlock.

hawaiian_robot fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Dec 1, 2010

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
2003 540i Auto.

I have a feeling my alternator is going out, covered under warranty, but wanted to get a conformation of what is going on, so I can make sure that the dealer replaces the correct parts.

Driving home one night with the following items on: 2 heated seats on full, heated steering wheel, heater on near full blast, headlights with fog lamps. When I was coming to a stop, the battery light flashed briefly. The next day, same scenario, but then the check engine light kicked on (its dark, and cold, I am used to my cruddy work van which is cold as hell, I want my comforts!). I did a test this morning, All accessories on means: Both heated seats, heated steering wheel, headlamps with fog lamps, fan on full, and AC Compressor cycling, and rear window defroster on.

Here is the voltage at the battery
Start up high idle no accessories: 14.0 Volts
Start up high idle all accessories: 13.5 Volts
Warm Idle No accessories: 13.5 Volts
Warm Idle All Accessories: 12.9 Volts
Battery (before starting):12.1 Volts

I take it the voltage is a little low, so I assume the alternator might be low on amps? I also noticed that the interior lights seem to pulsate a little and when the engine is reved a little, the lights get a little brighter.

And the dumb question: I take it the charging system malfunction is linked to a SEL?

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Dec 1, 2010

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.
Anyone know anything about transmission shifting problems on a '98 BMW 740iL?

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/cto/2088929435.html

I thought he was selling it for $2 just to get rid of it, but even at $2000, if it is something simple, it seems like a nice car.

He claims to have replaced the tranny and the transmission computer.

Encor3
Jun 29, 2005

Konnichiwa Bitches
I had the "Service Engine Soon" light come on this morning but the service-ometer doesn't say it needs it for another 6000 miles (it was serviced fully the last time the meter went to 0 miles, Inspection II.) 2003 325i, does this happen commonly or should I take it in?

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

hawaiian_robot posted:

I think it's a front/rear fader... which is probably going to make putting in a new head unit that much more complicated.

Not really... new head units have their own fader, so you I just ignored the wirings of the old fader completely.

I used a regular allen key (rather than the five-pointed star allen keys) to unscrew the head unit in my E30.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

BrokenKnucklez posted:

2003 540i Auto.

I have a feeling my alternator is going out

Those voltages are quite reasonable, you'll have a tough time convincing the dealer it's the alternator. However, the voltage regulator on the alternator might be failing, or you might have a loose ground somewhere.

I'd take it to them, report exactly what happened, and insist that they thoroughly check the electrical system. It takes about an hour to check all the grounds and another hour to pull the alternator, but the part is expensive so they won't want to do it preventatively.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

Encor3 posted:

I had the "Service Engine Soon" light come on this morning but the service-ometer doesn't say it needs it for another 6000 miles (it was serviced fully the last time the meter went to 0 miles, Inspection II.) 2003 325i, does this happen commonly or should I take it in?

The SES light is triggered usually by something within your emissions system, and is not the same "service" as your service interval indicator. You can take it to many parts stores that will read what codes are being triggered for free. But reply with what those codes are instead of throwing parts directly at what the code says.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
On the E30, do the 318 and 325i use the same Getrag 5 speed trans? I feel silly asking, but I have no idea what to search for. We want to put a 5 sped into our 325i and I found a cheap one locally from a 318.

EDIT: It's a Getrag 240.

McMadCow fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 1, 2010

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009
I'm about to buy a '91 318is for a track car... needs a fuel pump. The fuel tank also has some poo poo in it... Should I clean it myself or replace it?

If I end up cleaning it myself, what kind of highly poisonous solvent should I use?

Also what should I go ahead and replace while I've got the fuel tank dropped?

RapeWhistle fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 1, 2010

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Oh for fucks sake, there went the radiator on my E36. Pretty much exactly at 100 000 miles. It was the original one, so not exactly unexpected, but very inconvenient timing with christmas and all.

Oh well, will do waterpump and thermostat and all the other stuff, since it was all from 1995 and would fail sooner or later anyway.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

evobatman posted:

Oh for fucks sake, there went the radiator on my E36. Pretty much exactly at 100 000 miles. It was the original one, so not exactly unexpected, but very inconvenient timing with christmas and all.

Oh well, will do waterpump and thermostat and all the other stuff, since it was all from 1995 and would fail sooner or later anyway.
This seems to be a common scenario on E36s and is also what killed my buddies 325is. Every car I have owned has had over 100k or I took it over 100k and I've never had to replace a radiator on anything I've owned. What about their cooling systems makes them the weakspot on such a durable car?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

tonedef131 posted:

What about their cooling systems makes them the weakspot on such a durable car?

Plastic. Stupid plastic everywhere.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

McMadCow posted:

On the E30, do the 318 and 325i use the same Getrag 5 speed trans? I feel silly asking, but I have no idea what to search for. We want to put a 5 sped into our 325i and I found a cheap one locally from a 318.

EDIT: It's a Getrag 240.

The 325 has a Getrag 260.

Speaking of 325's and Getrag 260's, mine just took a poo poo. It's stuck in reverse, but the shifter is in neutral position. I put the car on a lift and the shift rod is connected to the selector shaft, or at least appears to be.

At least I have a '91 318i sitting in my driveway :unsmith: Oh wait, I have to title, insure, register, and do the other front wheel-bearing :smith:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

T-Square posted:

Speaking of 325's and Getrag 260's, mine just took a poo poo. It's stuck in reverse, but the shifter is in neutral position. I put the car on a lift and the shift rod is connected to the selector shaft, or at least appears to be.

At least I have a '91 318i sitting in my driveway :unsmith: Oh wait, I have to title, insure, register, and do the other front wheel-bearing :smith:

Your shifter console bushings poo poo the bed.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=1074&mospid=47302&btnr=25_0093&hg=25&fg=05

Part #1 for the plate style consoles

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=1113&mospid=47309&btnr=25_0027&hg=25&fg=05

Part #2/#3 for rod style consoles

Or, your trans actually poo poo the bed. Check these parts first though. Best way to tell is to get the car up in the air, have someone wiggle the shifter. If the shift linkage going into the trans is actually moving, your trans is dead. If the shifter console is moving, you've found your problem.

Had this problem on my 318. New bushings cleaned up the shift slop sooo much.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

T-Square posted:

Cool, thanks. Not sure how I didn't know that before...

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
I'm just waiting for a nice E30 318is to pop up in my area after selling my motorbike. To tide me over until then, I request a picture dump from the E30 owners in this thread.

Also why is the blue interior the only one that's ever up for sale. :(

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!
Picture dump: One was wrecked by someone turning left into oncoming traffic, the other is the replacement.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Tentacle Party posted:

I'm just waiting for a nice E30 318is to pop up in my area after selling my motorbike. To tide me over until then, I request a picture dump from the E30 owners in this thread.

Blue (with houndstooth) is the best e30 interior colour :colbert:

My iX in it's natural state:

The longer that car sits there the more I want to get it fixed and drive the hell out of it despite the rust and pretty much ruined paint. I figure 1k for a complete brake rebuild and then another couple hundred to get the fuel delivery working. My 328is is "faster" and "better" but it's just so plushy and not as fun to go for a drive in. Plus the e36 just doesn't look nearly as good.

I'm even dumb enough to want the iX for a winter drive and a 325iS for summer driving.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 2, 2010

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Crustashio posted:

My iX in it's natural state

I call bullshit, the driveshaft is still on the car and not stripped :colbert:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

8ender posted:

I call bullshit, the driveshaft is still on the car and not stripped :colbert:

I'll meet you halfway:

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

Tentacle Party posted:

Okay, fine.

While there's a bunch of E30 people around, how difficult is changing control arms and/or steering rack just in your driveway? I've only done basic stuff like oil and brake pad/rotor changes before, is it a bit too much for a first-timer to do, even with a bit of help from more mechanically-minded friends?

Edit: You might notice that the left indicator lens is snapped in half. A few weeks ago, some dickhead reversed into me, totally screwed the back of his car up, barely put a dent in mine :smug:.

hawaiian_robot fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 2, 2010

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

My iX, with bonus e36 M3. :|

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010
Going to see a 2000 528i off of Craigslist tomorrow. 145,000 miles. Once I emailed the kid (he says he is in college) about what all had been done to it, he tells me the 4,500 price was a typo, really 3,500. This car will have to be really crappy for me not to buy it. It is the same colors as my 98 540i, so I can even use it as a semi parts car if I can pick it up for 3k. When I asked about the transmission he said his mechanic just flushed it, which doesn't give me a warm feeling.

spodycart
Jan 1, 2008

Raymn posted:

The pulley attaches to the pump via those 4 bolts in the picture. If the bolts have come loose for some reason then there you go. Did you reach in and try to move it by hand? Could you tell if it was the pulley or the pump itself visually when you wiggled it? Odds are more likely that the spindle is hosed somehow as opposed to those bolts loosening I'd guess.

I decided to go the preventative route and go ahead and change the water pump. Totally fixed the noise and I now have a nice metal impeller and a container of old coolant that nobody will take (seriously where do you get rid of this stuff?)

Unfortunately on the way home from Thanksgiving break with the family my bumper got into a fight with a rabbit at about 75. Nobody won. :( So now I've got a front left foglight ballast to replace along with a torn up wheel well and #4 on here. It never ends, I guess!

spodycart fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 2, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

hawaiian_robot posted:

While there's a bunch of E30 people around, how difficult is changing control arms and/or steering rack just in your driveway? I've only done basic stuff like oil and brake pad/rotor changes before, is it a bit too much for a first-timer to do, even with a bit of help from more mechanically-minded friends?

Its easy, just did this, world of difference. Just get some metric sockets, a butt load of extensions, and some gloves unless you like blood and oil mixed together. The control arms are not to bad, I had to cut the nuts off the inner ball joints, so make sure you have a dremel tool and lots of cutting discs handy. You may have to take off your exhaust on the passenger side to do that inner ball joint as well, just depends on your luck. Do a google search, theres some good photo guides as well.

Edit: I love whoring out my E30, I still need to post pics of the E39 next to it. Mine has black leather with working heated seats and busted seams in the rear seats.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 2, 2010