Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
If you're REALLY wanting to get into playing upright and taking it seriously, the best piece of advice I think you can take is to find a good instructor, and have them help you pick out a bass that will suit you well.

Playing upright is no joke... you can jack up your fingers/hands/wrists without proper technique. It's like drumming with poor form, it can really wreak havoc on your joints if you don't learn to do it right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
I'm not discouraged yet, I think I would have to live somewhere else before I ever got one though. My room can get a lil humid in the summer, and pretty cold in the winter. But moving out is my next big thing I have planned, as far as lessons go it would be a long drive to the nearest teacher, at least an hour and a half. I guess this just gives me time to practice on my jazz bass and learn theory.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

CaseFace McGee posted:

Here's the site for the guy I go to for repairs - his basses for sale reflect the prices that you will find. http://doublebassworkshop.com/basses-for-sale

An old bandmate of mine owns that place - great guy.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

So I grabbed this:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-SRA300-Electric-Bass-Guitar-423070-i1480517.gc

And an Acoustic B200 for my first setup. (tad big; but I've got a few friends who play guitar, so I didnt want to go TOO small)

How are these for getting moving? I "played" a bunch of basses, a Schecter, GSR200, SR300, etc and this one felt the most right to me.

Walked fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Nov 28, 2010

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

If it feels right, you like the sound and you want to play it, that's pretty much all you need to get going on bass. Learn some songs, buy one of the books other posters have recommended in this thread and, imo most importantly, jam with other people as much as you can.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Doomy posted:

If it feels right, you like the sound and you want to play it, that's pretty much all you need to get going on bass. Learn some songs, buy one of the books other posters have recommended in this thread and, imo most importantly, jam with other people as much as you can.

It felt and sounded most right to me; I dont know what I want beyond that.

Learning going pretty well; I have dabbled with some guitar and theory - so its pretty quick on the uptake. Got to the point of playing a few generic punk songs straight through and whatnot; been jamming with a friend who plays guitar - and drat its MANY times better than playing alone.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

thequiethero posted:

I'm currently trying to learn 'Portrait of Tracy' by Jaco Pastorius. It's way out out my skill level, but it's so fun to play. Anyone know of any other music like this?

Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBBG_2tPiOU
Tab: http://www.bassmasta.net/p/pastorius,_jaco/162835.html

Iambic 9 Poetry by SquarePusher.

Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXpzK1ItQGw&feature=related
Tab: http://www.bassmasta.net/s/squarepusher/136457.html

This song is easier in comparison, just screw around and figure out the right spot for each harmonic note. Portrait of Tracy is one of my favorite things to play, harmonics on bass just sound so cool :)

Constipated fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 29, 2010

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
What elements should I be looking at if I want to build a Sunn O))) / Ampeg style 15'' cab?

I've been reading that an Eminence Legend CB15 would be the best choice, is this correct?

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Nov 29, 2010

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Is there a method for practising a song that I should know? I'm incredibly new to this and the majority of my practise thus far has been along with Hal Leonard CD which is great fun, and I've tried to find a groove on a few other songs - but now I'm playing things which are pretty complex to my retard hands.

When I gently caress up, should I just carry on? Or start over? Or start the whole song over?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

The Will posted:

Is there a method for practising a song that I should know? I'm incredibly new to this and the majority of my practise thus far has been along with Hal Leonard CD which is great fun, and I've tried to find a groove on a few other songs - but now I'm playing things which are pretty complex to my retard hands.

When I gently caress up, should I just carry on? Or start over? Or start the whole song over?

I've found it most efficient to just jump back at a point that you know. Or keep playing if you can (eg a note too high, or slightly offbeat, fuckit - keep on truckin)
(In a sense I treat it like guitar hero when I've got a backing track.)

How is the Hal Leonard CD? I just grabbed it and havent had a chance with it yet. I do a lot of youtube + tabs and scales right now. I also suck so dont listen to me. :)

MolluskGoneBad
Feb 25, 2002

Demon Seed posted:

I'm not discouraged yet, I think I would have to live somewhere else before I ever got one though. My room can get a lil humid in the summer, and pretty cold in the winter. But moving out is my next big thing I have planned, as far as lessons go it would be a long drive to the nearest teacher, at least an hour and a half. I guess this just gives me time to practice on my jazz bass and learn theory.
A good laminate bass will deal just fine with changes in heat and humidity.

What's your price range?

Also, 3 hours travel plus lesson time every week or every 2 weeks is really small potatoes compared to the amount of time you need to pour into the thing to start sounding good. If you're serious about wanting to learn the instrument, don't let something like that stop you.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

The Will posted:

If I am trying to learn a song and I can't quite keep up or figure out the part, I like to use Audacity to slow it down. As I get more familiar with it, I can bump it back to full speed. When I mess up, I try to keep going, since you can't really push the "redo" button during a gig. If you want to work on a specific phrase, you can use Audacity to just select that bit of the song and repeat it as needed. The percussion professor who leads my jazz combo swears by Audacity to learn songs or transcribe solos.

MolluskGoneBad
Feb 25, 2002

The Will posted:

It depends on how you hosed up.

It's an important skill to be able to recover from mistakes. If your mistake was something that you know you can and have played well more than once, keep going, maintain the groove, try to seamlessly recover.

If your mistake was something that you've never been able to consistently hit properly, slow down to half or quarter speed and focus on repeatedly playing the erroneous passage properly at that speed. Counter-intuitively, you'll do a lot better at speed the more you slow down. Partially because slowed down, little bits of sloppiness or technical mistakes that you'd let slide or maybe not even notice at speed stick out as unacceptable. When you feel comfortable with that passage, practice it along with the transition into the passage at slow speed, then either creep your metronome back up to full speed or double/quadruple it. (I've sometimes had better luck immediately coming back up to speed than incrementally working my way back up there.) Once you can do that comfortably, THEN practice the whole song again.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Does anyone here have recommendations on a good dolly/handcart that can deal with 2 Aguilar GS112 cabinets? I did a search on Home Depot and the options were underwhelming.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

MolluskGoneBad posted:

A good laminate bass will deal just fine with changes in heat and humidity.

What's your price range?

Also, 3 hours travel plus lesson time every week or every 2 weeks is really small potatoes compared to the amount of time you need to pour into the thing to start sounding good. If you're serious about wanting to learn the instrument, don't let something like that stop you.

I would have no problem dropping 1,500 - 2k on one. 3k is pushing it, I dunno it really depends. I'm trying to find a job that pays at least 9 an hour, so you could imagine how long it would take me to save up. Its gonna be a long time for sure. It would probably be a better idea to start off renting one, 60$ a month is a deal.

manic mike
Oct 8, 2003

no bond too surly

TyChan posted:

Does anyone here have recommendations on a good dolly/handcart that can deal with 2 Aguilar GS112 cabinets? I did a search on Home Depot and the options were underwhelming.

I bought a handtruck from this website a while ago to move my amp/cab. They have a good selection.

http://www.handtrucks.com/

edit: This is the one I bought http://www.handtrucks.com/hand-trucks/compact-luggage-hand-trucks/clipper200jetsetfoldinghandtruck.cfm

It looks flimsy but it easily could hold 100+ lbs of equipment.

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer
I kinda posted this over in the Rondomusic thread as well, but does anyone have any experience with the Douglas line of Bass guitars sold on Rondo? Particularly, I'm looking at the NB-C4 model.

I'm looking at beginning to play Bass and am really torn between either this or an Ibanez GRS200. They are both right around the same pricepoint, but it seems like the GRS200 is a more solid purchase. I've heard great things about Rondo's basses, so I wanted to check to see if the Douglas was a better value.

Also, what does everyone think about a practice amp versus a Live 6 GuitarPort (or Behringer BDI21) setup for a beginner? I figure I'm going to be using headphones 90% of the time while practicing anyway, so why not get the GuitarPort and learn with it before spending the $200+ on a decent amp. Suggestions?

Edit: Noob question: With an amp modeler, I can go from Guitar -> amp modeler -> headphones, correct? I feel like I'm missing something important.

Bazanga fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Nov 30, 2010

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized
I'm GASing for a P/J. Those Squier Jaguars look too good to be true pricewise. Anyone own one? I mean god drat. How can that be only $300.

gotly fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 30, 2010

Pehther
Feb 12, 2008

gotly posted:

I'm GASing for a P/J. Those Squier Jaguars look too good to be true pricewise. Anyone own one? I mean god drat. How can that be only $300.

Good, you fixed your spelling. :colbert:

I asked that question not too long ago, and was directed to talkbass.com. It's still near the top of my list when I finally buy a bass, but it's now competing with a few others. I'm definitely leaning towards a P/J, and that one caught my eye as soon as they posted it here.

The only real complaint I've heard is the lack of a master volume.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

I have more of an ethical question than anything.

I'm thinking of selling my Ampeg B3-158 combo. It's big, heavy and never gets used. I bought it when I was 13 thinking bigger amp=more rock.

It's been gigged out, there are some tear in the tolex, it's had it's share of drinks spilled on the cab portion (never on/in/near the head) and then grill has gathered some rust as a result. The master volume knob has broken off but is still usable, you either have to push your thumb in it and turn, or pull it out (as it's a push/pull pot that activates the graphic EQ) and turn to taste.

I'm thinking of selling it for 250-300 as a result. Is this fair? Can I even sell this thing after what it's been through?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Noise Machine posted:

I have more of an ethical question than anything.

I'm thinking of selling my Ampeg B3-158 combo. It's big, heavy and never gets used. I bought it when I was 13 thinking bigger amp=more rock.

It's been gigged out, there are some tear in the tolex, it's had it's share of drinks spilled on the cab portion (never on/in/near the head) and then grill has gathered some rust as a result. The master volume knob has broken off but is still usable, you either have to push your thumb in it and turn, or pull it out (as it's a push/pull pot that activates the graphic EQ) and turn to taste.

I'm thinking of selling it for 250-300 as a result. Is this fair? Can I even sell this thing after what it's been through?

Just put it up for that price, and make it perfectly clear that it's shaken up, with good pictures. If someone wants to buy it, that's their call.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

gotly posted:

Because it's made of agathis.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Can someone suggest what I should be sitting on when practicing? I swear to gently caress my couch is getting old and uncomfortable. My computer chair has arms, so no-go.

So if I'm going to buy something; may as well grab the right thing. I have a guitar center locally - happy to grab something MADE for this. Suggestions?

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized
Grab a good strap and practice standing. Sitting isn't very rock and roll dude.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Walked posted:

Can someone suggest what I should be sitting on when practicing? I swear to gently caress my couch is getting old and uncomfortable. My computer chair has arms, so no-go.

So if I'm going to buy something; may as well grab the right thing. I have a guitar center locally - happy to grab something MADE for this. Suggestions?

Agreed with gotly. Get a strap! Get off that couch! Or get into a better chair, even a folding chair for 10 bucks will be better for you and your playing than a couch! I posted up several cheap - under 15 bucks - straps on the consumerism thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3241000&pagenumber=3

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Schatten posted:

Agreed with gotly. Get a strap! Get off that couch! Or get into a better chair, even a folding chair for 10 bucks will be better for you and your playing than a couch! I posted up several cheap - under 15 bucks - straps on the consumerism thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3241000&pagenumber=3

Have a strap; just dont prefer to stand constantly. I'll grab a cheapo chair to go with it.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Scarf posted:

Because it's made of agathis.

What does that mean, exactly? I'm not too well versed in what different woods do.

I've never seen it used on anything though, so I'm guessing it's crap?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Geisladisk posted:

What does that mean, exactly? I'm not too well versed in what different woods do.

I've never seen it used on anything though, so I'm guessing it's crap?

Eh, I wouldn't say it's CRAP, most budget-line instruments are made of agathis. It's not a great tone-wood, but it gets the job done, and it's very inexpensive compared to the alternatives. It's also not very attractive in terms of it's grain, which is why you'll never see a "natural" agathis-bodied instrument without some kind of veneer on it.

But to be clear, I'm not knocking the new Squier VM/CV line instruments. They're great pieces of gear for the price you pay, certainly much better than the giant hunks of crap Squier has turned out in years prior. But there is a reason they can offer them at such affordable prices. They're not going all out in terms of the materials and construction.

But for most players (particularly those just starting), that isn't really a problem.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 30, 2010

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

Bazanga posted:

I kinda posted this over in the Rondomusic thread as well, but does anyone have any experience with the Douglas line of Bass guitars sold on Rondo? Particularly, I'm looking at the NB-C4 model.

I'm looking at beginning to play Bass and am really torn between either this or an Ibanez GRS200. They are both right around the same pricepoint, but it seems like the GRS200 is a more solid purchase. I've heard great things about Rondo's basses, so I wanted to check to see if the Douglas was a better value.

I wouldn't recommend buying any bass without trying the specific one with your own hands. There's such a huge variety in quality among these cheaper production lines so you can never guess what you'll get. My first bass was a horrible POS Jackson with a warped neck which almost killed my hobby. Whatever you do, try not to just order online but rather search for used ones or the ones in music stores.

EDIT: I'm sorry if I misinterpreted but I got the vibe from your post that you haven't tried them all out. If you have played them yourself, ignore me.

Bazanga posted:

Also, what does everyone think about a practice amp versus a Live 6 GuitarPort (or Behringer BDI21) setup for a beginner? I figure I'm going to be using headphones 90% of the time while practicing anyway, so why not get the GuitarPort and learn with it before spending the $200+ on a decent amp. Suggestions?

Nowadays I only have a BOSS ME-50B multieffect at home for plugging in headphones and jamming away. I would spend almost the lowest possible amount of money for a practice amp unless you have some sort of rehearsal space located somewhere in your home. Otherwise I'd wait until you settle with a group you're going to play with and then drag a bigger amp and a cab to the place where you rehearse.

These Loving Eyes fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 30, 2010

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Walked posted:

Have a strap; just dont prefer to stand constantly. I'll grab a cheapo chair to go with it.

Buy a drummers throne. Bass is rhythm too :colbert:

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized

Scarf posted:

Eh, I wouldn't say it's CRAP, most budget-line instruments are made of agathis. It's not a great tone-wood, but it gets the job done, and it's very inexpensive compared to the alternatives. It's also not very attractive in terms of it's grain, which is why you'll never see a "natural" agathis-bodied instrument without some kind of veneer on it.

But to be clear, I'm not knocking the new Squier VM/CV line instruments. They're great pieces of gear for the price you pay, certainly much better than the giant hunks of crap Squier has turned out in years prior. But there is a reason they can offer them at such affordable prices. They're not going all out in terms of the materials and construction.

But for most players (particularly those just starting), that isn't really a problem.

Figured there was a catch. :(
I'll try one out in a store but I'd like to think that I'm beyond beginner basses.

Can anyone recommended a nice P/J bass in the $1000 range?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

gotly posted:

Figured there was a catch. :(
I'll try one out in a store but I'd like to think that I'm beyond beginner basses.

Can anyone recommended a nice P/J bass in the $1000 range?

It's not really a CATCH, it's how they manage to keep the price down on those basses. Them and everyone else that makes more budget-priced instruments. If you want to bring the price down, you do one of three things (or any combination, or all three): You move production off seas, automate most if not all of production, and use more affordable parts and materials.

Again, that isn't to say they're BAD at all... I did a little review on here of the VM Jazz bass when it first came out. I found it to be incredibly gig-able and would gladly have one as a backup. But at the same time, having played much nicer instruments, I can certainly tell a difference between the two.

If you're looking to drop that much cash on one, I'd highly suggest looking for a used Lakland Skyline "Bob Glaub" Signature P/J.* You should be able to find one used for about $700 if not a little less. I say used because the new ones are P only, and they renamed it to the 44-64. The P/J is only offered on the US version which is about $2500+ or so. But actually, if you found a US one that was used, you might could have it for around $1000, but you'd be pretty lucky. http://www.lakland.com/ac_glaubpj.htm <--- Sound clips.

Other than that, I'd highly recommend a G&L SB-2, or just a standard Fender P/J. Actually a Fender Aerodyne P/J would be pretty great too. Classic sound, more modern look/feel. http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Aerodyne-4String-Jazz-Bass?sku=511988

*I am an endorsing artist for Lakland Basses

Scarf fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 30, 2010

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

Scarf posted:

Actually a Fender Aerodyne P/J would be pretty great too. Classic sound, more modern look/feel.

At our last open stage gig the actual booked band's bassist wanted me to try out his Aerodyne. Felt, sounded and even looked great. Definitely recommending them.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

These Loving Eyes posted:

At our last open stage gig the actual booked band's bassist wanted me to try out his Aerodyne. Felt, sounded and even looked great. Definitely recommending them.

It's Fender Japan... Can't really go wrong.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
Fender Aerodynes are way cool and can definitely be had for under a grand. The Fender P-Bass Special has a jazz-width nut if you're into that and is also under the $1000 mark.

Japanese brands like Tokai, Greco, and Fernandes all made P/J style basses for the domestic market. These crop up used from time to time, usually for stupid little money. Ebay and Ishibashi are the good sources for these. There are also Japanese market Fenders (including sone Aerodynes) that were offered in colours and configurations not seen on export models.

There are many, many basses out there that cost well under $1000 and also aren't "beginner" instruments in any sense. I would consider what you want out of your new instrument; gigging? Recording? Playing at home and looking badass? There are good options for all of these things well under your budget.

If you're definitely going to spend a thousand dollars though, I'd go with the Lakland that Scarf recommends. The SB-2 is cool but I hate that three-bolt neck. The Tribute L-2000 on the other hand has a good reputation for being able to imitate P and J tones and is categorically awesome in every way.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Ferrous Wheel posted:

Fender Aerodynes are way cool and can definitely be had for under a grand. The Fender P-Bass Special has a jazz-width nut if you're into that and is also under the $1000 mark.

I'd recommend these. They are great basses, but I'm biased. You can find an 80's PJ Special for 300-400 bucks. They usually had black painted necks with black hardware.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
Yep- and some of those say "Tokai" on the headstock. :guitar:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Yeah, the Fender Deluxe Active P-Bass Special is an incredible instrument for the price. I had put a set of Nordstrands in mine and boy, with flats it just killed. You can pick them up for $3-400 used without an issue.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Anyone know a good source for backing tracks to just generally play over?

http://www.freejamtracks.com/

Has a bunch; but theyre not that plentiful if you dont was blues.
Anyone got any other suggestions?

I'm having a ball of a time with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Walked posted:

Anyone know a good source for backing tracks to just generally play over?

http://www.freejamtracks.com/

Has a bunch; but theyre not that plentiful if you dont was blues.
Anyone got any other suggestions?

I'm having a ball of a time with them.

Probably not exactly what you want but this Songsterr site has bass tabs with all the instruments as a backing track, kinda like Powertab, and you can use the mixer to turn off the bass and just play over the other stuff. You can probably find some jammy songs or standards if you want to improvise over a repeating sequence

http://www.songsterr.com/a/wa/tag?name=jazz