Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the boy in a well
Sep 3, 2009
It's one of my favorite albums of the year, which I suppose I should mention while the critics are writing their year-end lists (which are ridiculous; how can anybody rank Kanye West above or below, say, the last These New Puritans album, for example? - said albums have entirely different emotions they express, although they are expressed well).

I wasn't into Kanye West's poo poo before this, though I wondered why I couldn't get into his earlier shite, since I could tell it was nearly material I would usually enjoy - if it wasn't for all of his singers who sing well (I would rather he featured rappers almost entirely, or weird singers, than people with traditionally good singing voices). "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" is weird enough overall that any 'mainstream' vocal parts (especially those on "All of the Lights") can transcend these limitations - because despite the technical highs, never before has any artist so bravely straddled the lines between sounding ridiculous and straight-faced. This is what bands like Muse have loving failed at for years. Kanye West is the Queen of rap. But I don't like Queen at all.

EDIT:

I don't personally enjoy listening to Queen, but I assume that's what they were going for - occupying a line between the obscenely, overblown bombastic and the sincere.

ie. Muse writes overblown songs about fame and politics, and while they sound overblown and exaggerated to caricature to any ear that isn't their own, they mean to say exactly what's expressed at face value, though it doesn't gel because the group lacks the imagination of a true ego-tastic visionary who has tons of crazy ideas he or she will just loving run with.

Kanye West has ideas that sharply divide between what seems obviously brilliant and idiotic in the same song - he's like an Ed Wood who could've had the production skills to make "Plan 9 From Outer Space" into an obvious satire instead of a parody.

the boy in a well fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Nov 25, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I hope you've listened to Queen tracks aside from the hits, there is some loving amazing stuff that I would wager 80% of the people who say they like Queen never get too.

Bubble Bathory
Apr 22, 2008

HELLO, YES, THIS IS BUBBLE BATHORY. LOOKS LIKE WE'VE GOT A BADASS OVER HERE WHO CAN'T STOP POSTING ABOUT HOW MUCH HE LOVES MEMES.

THAT'S THE JOKE.
What's wrong with "mainstream" talents?

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery

The Singing Chav posted:

I thought everybody was exaggerating about the mastering of this poo poo. Then I listened to it on headphones. :wtf:

Now that I'm actually doing this myself, I'm the opposite--I thought it was going to bother me but it isn't. It actually adds to the out-of-focus, "tape" aesthetic of Monster (which is what the most people are complaining about).

btw n-thing the love for Jay-Z's verses on the album

A Butt Fiesta
Nov 25, 2010
Such a powerful album, waiting on my physical copy as we speak. All of the Lights has got to be my favourite track though I have to admit the square bass in it really makes it feel like the production's a lot weaker than it is. The album's full of little touches like that which manage to undermine the production quality.
All in all I love it though, but I'm not sure how much Nicki Minaj I'll be able to handle in future listenings.

Trip Larsen
Oct 4, 2006

My great-grandfather started Larsen Pork Products with little more than three pigs and a killing hammer. Today, I'm proud to say, we kill more pigs than pig hepatitis.
Just posting in here to say that Kanye has totally redeemed himself for 808's in my eyes(I thought it had some good tracks, but was overall mediocre, not really Kanye-caliber). Not only is this his best album, it's one of the best hip hop records in the last few years. I'm only disappointed that Kid Cudi's new album has been completely overshadowed by it, which is probably appropriate since it's not as good as the first Man on the Moon. Maybe next time, Scott. Also, Monster was the first time I had ever hear Nicki Minaj, and now I have to check out her album. I hope I'm not too disappointed with it.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Pink Friday is not very good, to be honest. Monster was my first time with Minaj, as well, and nothing within the first five tracks comes close -- I tapped out at that point.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

Pitchfork actually did a really good job summing up and expressing my feelings for Pink Friday. http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/14898-pink-friday/

Also, College Dropout it still my favorite Kanye Album and I don't see that ever changing to be honest.

xdirtypinkox
Aug 12, 2004

And it gets easier as I pass the Edward Scissorhands village where privileged white kids date rape girls and taunt me in their SUV's.
This is my new favorite album, I really can't describe it. Although it was tough to get through the first time but when it was over I just hit play again.

If rap and post-rock had a baby album this would be it.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

40 lbs to freedom posted:

Pitchfork actually did a really good job summing up and expressing my feelings for Pink Friday. http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/14898-pink-friday/

Also, College Dropout it still my favorite Kanye Album and I don't see that ever changing to be honest.

Jesus. Is there actually a track called "Dear Old Nicki?" That's just depressing. :(

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

she raps about how she sold out and tries to rationalize it. its pretty awful.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

A Butt Fiesta posted:

All in all I love it though, but I'm not sure how much Nicki Minaj I'll be able to handle in future listenings.

What do you mean, her verse is one of the best things and it goes perfectly with the music.

I feel this, too. Also, "Never Let me Down" probably won't be surpassed, but then again it might be impossible for anyone to do so.

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Nov 28, 2010

cymbalrush
Jul 12, 2008

The Modern Leper posted:

Pink Friday is not very good, to be honest. Monster was my first time with Minaj, as well, and nothing within the first five tracks comes close -- I tapped out at that point.

I haven't had a chance to get through the entirety of Pink Friday yet, so my opinions are pretty much moot, i guess. But the first few tracks weren't as bad as I thought they would be. Admittedly, I didn't have very high hopes at all for it in the slightest.

So I guess, if you're going to listen to it, come in with low expectations.

It's kind of nice having a mainstream female rapper doing well though. In my mind, she probably had the most memorable (if not the "best") verse on MBDTF.

Thrust On Moore
Jul 13, 2010

She keeps coming closer,
Saying "I can feel it in my bones.
Schizophrenia,
Is taking me home."

cymbalrush posted:

I haven't had a chance to get through the entirety of Pink Friday yet, so my opinions are pretty much moot, i guess. But the first few tracks weren't as bad as I thought they would be. Admittedly, I didn't have very high hopes at all for it in the slightest.

So I guess, if you're going to listen to it, come in with low expectations.

It's kind of nice having a mainstream female rapper doing well though. In my mind, she probably had the most memorable (if not the "best") verse on MBDTF.

The complaints about the album are more or less about songs in the middle, probably most significantly the ones that are pretty much R&B tracks. The first few tracks and the bonus ones are probably the most solid material on the album.

However, for the sake of not derailing this thing, I'll just leave this here.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Jam2 posted:

when and where

Found it in the Nicki Minaj thread

http://www.djsemtex.com/blog/2010/10/07/kanye-west-runaway-album-launch/

SHINEBLOCKA
Oct 17, 2009

I've got it in for your girlf
Uh, so i like "all of the lights," but gently caress who needs kid cudi's whinging over jukebox piano and fergie's bullshit verse eating up 2 minutes of the song? so really i only like most of "all of the lights." this is a microcosm of the whole album. dude can write music but i actually don't want to listen to all his bros hit the mic.

SafetyDancer
Aug 30, 2003

hop for jesus

SHINEBLOCKA posted:

Uh, so i like "all of the lights," but gently caress who needs kid cudi's whinging over jukebox piano and fergie's bullshit verse eating up 2 minutes of the song? so really i only like most of "all of the lights." this is a microcosm of the whole album. dude can write music but i actually don't want to listen to all his bros hit the mic.

Fergie really ruins the song for me. It's like Kanye tried and failed to get MIA, then tried Santogold, then finally said gently caress it and scraped the bottom of the barrel by asking Fergie to do an imitation of what she thought MIA sounded like. Goddamn, those lyrics are terrible to boot.

John Legend's lyrics on "Blame Game" is really something terrible too. Sucks because I actually think his voice adds to the song.

Malformed Dance Hut
Sep 7, 2010

Brett824 posted:

Rome got Gidget is a reference to Gidget Goes To Rome, the other got Bridget is a reference to Bridget Jones. Rome and London are sister cities, and going from Rome to London is a 'trip'. Bridget and Gidget in the context of the song are both "sisters" (culturally (they're black)) and sisters, biologically.

This is some clever rear end wordplay I did not notice until this morning.

You are reading too much into these lyrics.

Malformed Dance Hut
Sep 7, 2010
Here is a review of Pink Friday: http://rapreviews.com/feature.html

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
U2 are touring Australia with Jay-Z as the support act, I'm going on wednesday.
The news has reported Beyonce travelling with him of course
And KANYE flew into Melbourne today ahead of wednesday's show

If Monster or So Appalled or gently caress anything gets played by both I think I'll die

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
For those interested in the vinyl release, Amazon has it on pre-order for almost $10 below Insound (it looks like Insound is selling it flat retail, with no markup). Just put in my order, with free 2-day shipping (I got a free trial of Prime with a .edu email address).

\/\/\/Dammit, totally remember reading that. Someone even posted tragically funny (hilariously tragic?) photos. Call it informed risk: $10 plus free shipping is a pretty great incentive, since I've never had a problem with Amazon shipments in the past. Maybe they know what they're doing.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 29, 2010

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Just be warned that Amazon packaging for vinyl is awful, big cardboard box with some loving air packing pillow bags.
(At least in my & some other goon's experience)

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/2010/11/the_ten_best_qu.php

I love this quote:

"People are not going to agree with everything I do. I look back and look at stuff I do and don't agree with it. Man, if I made a dis record of myself, I would kill me. I would be extremely good at it."

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BrTEHUQAsM

I might be late on this one, but this song is kinda fire in a corny white boy way.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I keep listening and listening to this despite my issue with the lyrics and content. It's really that good.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

SafetyDancer posted:

Fergie really ruins the song for me. It's like Kanye tried and failed to get MIA, then tried Santogold, then finally said gently caress it and scraped the bottom of the barrel by asking Fergie to do an imitation of what she thought MIA sounded like. Goddamn, those lyrics are terrible to boot.

John Legend's lyrics on "Blame Game" is really something terrible too. Sucks because I actually think his voice adds to the song.

Wait are you telling me that is NOT MIA?

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

SafetyDancer posted:

the lyrics are conveying the exact message of the song in one of the simplest and most precise ways i dont really see why you are so disgusted with it other than the fact that its fergie performing it. i hate the black eyed peas as much as the next guy but what im trying to say basically is simmer down friend.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Final Fart Buttball posted:

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/2010/11/the_ten_best_qu.php

I love this quote:

"People are not going to agree with everything I do. I look back and look at stuff I do and don't agree with it. Man, if I made a dis record of myself, I would kill me. I would be extremely good at it."
Now this would be an hilarious mixtape/G.O.O.D. Fridays type of deal. Kanye remixes some of his worst songs and just rips himself apart.

keveh
Sep 14, 2004

If you have a problem.....

Brett824 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BrTEHUQAsM

I might be late on this one, but this song is kinda fire in a corny white boy way.

Mr Hudson is pretty awesome. His album was really good, although he got called a sell out for it.

SHINEBLOCKA
Oct 17, 2009

the lyrics are conveying the exact message of the song in one of the simplest and most precise ways i dont really see why you are so disgusted with it other than the fact that its fergie performing it. i hate the black eyed peas as much as the next guy but what im trying to say basically is simmer down friend.

uh the lyrics are like 4 bars of boilerplate delivered in a fake english accent. it's lame because this is supposed to be kanye's beautiful dark twisted fantasy that he labored years over and curated impeccably and the world is paying homage to him but if I had that kind of POWER I'd pretty much make sure Fergie stayed as far away from the studio as possible. Same thing for Cudi. Self-editing is an (maybe the most) important creative skill.

SafetyDancer
Aug 30, 2003

hop for jesus

lol it sounded like I was spergin out over it. Maybe ruining the song is an exaggeration, as I still listen to it, but Fergie is really out of place in the song. I'm not saying that Kanye is some lyrical genius, but her lines are really uninspired.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

SHINEBLOCKA posted:

uh the lyrics are like 4 bars of boilerplate delivered in a fake english accent. it's lame because this is supposed to be kanye's beautiful dark twisted fantasy that he labored years over and curated impeccably and the world is paying homage to him but if I had that kind of POWER I'd pretty much make sure Fergie stayed as far away from the studio as possible. Same thing for Cudi. Self-editing is an (maybe the most) important creative skill.

i dont think you "get" all of the lights man i'm sorry.

also if you don't think kanye man handled fergie to the point of writing everything for her and making her sound exactly like he wanted then well i dont really know what to say

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI
Apparently it sold around 518k in the first week. Which pretty impressive, considering the lack of both promotion and a strong radio single.

edit: 495,800

TITY BOI fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Dec 1, 2010

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Yeah why hasn't ehere been a video for this cd released yet?

And no I do not count Power because it's 30 seconds long. It's a glorified perfume as at best.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

Dead Snoopy posted:

Yeah why hasn't ehere been a video for this cd released yet?

And no I do not count Power because it's 30 seconds long. It's a glorified perfume as at best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg5wkZ-dJXA

Listening to So Appalled, I love it but the track could've been so much better if RZA had actually dropped a verse.

F.F. Woodycooks
Jul 24, 2006

Finally got a chance to get the CD and do a full playthrough. Lost in the World is simply amazing. I had never really given Kanye a chance mainly because I was turned off by his douchebaggery, but this album made me realize how much of a genius he is and how his public image is really fitting considering he has the talent to warrant it.

SHINEBLOCKA
Oct 17, 2009

i dont think you "get" all of the lights man i'm sorry.

also if you don't think kanye man handled fergie to the point of writing everything for her and making her sound exactly like he wanted then well i dont really know what to say

right, i do think he did that. i also think it sounds bad. therefore...

the only reason i point this out is that i think it's a great album but not "perfection" the way it's been so often received. "lost in the world" and "POWER" are a couple of songs that actually get there, IMO

SHINEBLOCKA fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 1, 2010

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
For those interested in the Nicki Minaj aspect of this whole process, there's a fairly decent article on theawl about Pink Friday:

http://www.theawl.com/2010/11/selling-herself-short-the-miscontexualization-of-nicki-minaj

It's sort of apologetic, but it seems to present Nicki Minaj as a martyr for the cause of female rappers. The author discusses female rappers who have quit (or never started) because they were pressured to compromise their vision, and then talks about how, by basically compromising her vision after raising expectations, Nicki Minaj has changed the game, because generally female rappers have never had high expectations to start with.

Female rappers are starting to create diss tracks against her, and so she's effectively creating a space for female rappers to interact, battle, and grow the way the boys do.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Bruce Boxliker posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg5wkZ-dJXA

Listening to So Appalled, I love it but the track could've been so much better if RZA had actually dropped a verse.

Thank you for this. Easily the most pretentious poo poo I have ever seen. And I sat through Under The Cherry Moon. Twice.

I may never take Kanye West seriously again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
I'm not sure exactly why but the line about putting a pussy in a sarcophagus is the funniest thing I've ever heard in a song.

Album is great.

• Locked thread