Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Vilerat posted:

Counterpoint: Today sucks.

Living the dream Vile!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vilerat
May 11, 2002

TCD posted:

Living the dream Vile!

First this wikileaks poo poo now a 2 year federal pay freeze. I'm running out of colorful profanity at an alarming rate.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Vilerat posted:

now a 2 year federal pay freeze.

I come home crack open a nice cold beverage, and walla... pay freeze.

Edit: Confused acronyms and word placement. Running around consular for several hours will do that.

Edit2: Ignoring this rant of scanners, and of those really weird ISSO issues one only hears about in training, running to keep up with chimpanzees through the jungle is a really unique experience. Just a shame I won't be able to pay for it!

TCD fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 8, 2015

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

So the pay freeze...

No pay for two years or just no raises, etc.? What are the details surrounding this?

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

khysanth posted:

So the pay freeze...

No pay for two years or just no raises, etc.? What are the details surrounding this?

they wouldn't freeze salaries, there just won't be raises. This is just a way to save some money.

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD

khysanth posted:

So the pay freeze...

No pay for two years?

Holy poo poo who would work for that?

Vilerat
May 11, 2002
I don't think they've come out and said exactly what they mean so people are just guessing right now. Some have suggested it's only the annual cost of living increase (1.5% this year) and not step increases nor promotions. If this is the case I'm a little less heated about it since it's supposed to be covering inflation increases (which was officially 0% this year) but it serves no useful purpose so I'm kinda wondering why it was done.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
Vilerat/TCD/IMS Goons: Any word on the SAT's? (security teams). I know OMB pushed it out last night, but can't find any further info. I figured you guys would be front and center on that..

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Skandiaavity posted:

Vilerat/TCD/IMS Goons: Any word on the SAT's? (security teams). I know OMB pushed it out last night, but can't find any further info. I figured you guys would be front and center on that..

My hunch is that this is going to be a DC issue, and we'll get the "suggestion".

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
I figured it was going to be something along those lines, but was also curious to see if anything's being hammered out since you folks are pretty much on the frontlines. Be nice to your marines, too :P

I saw Hillary's message the other day (the long one) and boy, she mad.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

Regarding the recently leaked cables, is there any particular cone that is responsible for writing most of these things? I think some of them are pretty hilarious.

Vilerat
May 11, 2002

Ganguro King posted:

Regarding the recently leaked cables, is there any particular cone that is responsible for writing most of these things? I think some of them are pretty hilarious.

You mean the allegedly leaked cables that are not acknowledged in any official fashion?

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

Vilerat posted:

You mean the allegedly leaked cables that are not acknowledged in any official fashion?

Umm yeah. Suppose there were cables written that resembled these recent allegedly leaked but officially unacknowledged cables. Would there be a particular cone that might possibly be responsible for writing most of them? Hypothetically.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ganguro King posted:

Umm yeah. Suppose there were cables written that resembled these recent allegedly leaked but officially unacknowledged cables. Would there be a particular cone that might possibly be responsible for writing most of them? Hypothetically.

it sounds like most all of them are political. Some might be related to economics, but my guess is most are political.

Vilerat
May 11, 2002
Could be Political dealing with contacts to get a better understanding of a countries thoughts, could be Econ speaking to the condition of their economy and major exports/imports, could be Public Diplomacy dealing with major events and public outreach efforts. Management and Consular only write boring poo poo that nobody wants to read.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
So how many career Foreign Service people make it all the way to ambassadorship? I'm curious about the percentage of FS people who eventually make ambassador as well as the percentage of ambassadors from the diplomatic corps machine as opposed to ambassadors who got their post through other methods, such as previous high-profile political positions or being a big-time donor.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Sweet, once I finally get to the front of the line for an A-100 invite, now there's no clue when the next class will be.

I'm sure they'll figure it out once 30 more people place in front of me.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

OSheaman posted:

So how many career Foreign Service people make it all the way to ambassadorship? I'm curious about the percentage of FS people who eventually make ambassador as well as the percentage of ambassadors from the diplomatic corps machine as opposed to ambassadors who got their post through other methods, such as previous high-profile political positions or being a big-time donor.

Dunno.
One of my mom's friends/acquaintances from high school (an american school in another country, so foriegn service was a big deal) became an ambasador through foreign service.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

OSheaman posted:

I think I saw that 60% of ambassadors come from the foreign service (the rest are appointed by the president or whoever). I also assume you have to be in the service for a good 20 years before you're appointed an ambassador so I bet the number is fairly small.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I applied to the Summer Internship program with the Foreign Service, and one of the requirements was that you had to pass a Secret/Top Secret security clearance. I haven't heard anything back about it yet (I don't think we will until about April), but I did have a couple questions on this part of it.

Do Security clearances travel with you to other departments, say from State to Interior, or even Public -> Private?

Does it need to be renewed occasionally?

Are you allowed to say you have Security Clearances?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Slaan posted:

I applied to the Summer Internship program with the Foreign Service, and one of the requirements was that you had to pass a Secret/Top Secret security clearance. I haven't heard anything back about it yet (I don't think we will until about April), but I did have a couple questions on this part of it.

Do Security clearances travel with you to other departments, say from State to Interior, or even Public -> Private?

It depends. TSA, which is under the Department of Homeland Security, was not going to recognize my active clearance with State (which I got through the internship program you're describing, although I was just an alternate) and make me go through an entirely new investigation. They said this policy was for all clearances; DoD/military, CIA, etc. From the reading I've been doing on State's Diplomatic Security, some clearances are reciprocated and some aren't, but even the reciprocated ones are subject to an opaque and often vastly inefficient verification process, which can actually take longer than starting a new one! As far as private employers, I believe the clearance falls under whichever department the private agency is contracting for.

They need to be renewed every 5-10 years, I believe. Secret's are only good for five, TS and above are ten. I could be mistaken on the ten year thing.

I don't believe there's any hard and fast rule (at least at the lower levels like Secret), but it certainly doesn't help to go around shouting it from the rooftops or anything, and most people don't. On the other hand, it can help you get a job even outside of government-related work since it's a much more thorough background investigation than the average private employer would be able to do. I might leave it off a publicly-searchable resume, but include it on one that I was submitting directly to an employer. Again, this is just my admittedly amateur take on it.

Also, if you get the internship and start the clearance process, don't freak out if you get an e-mail saying DoS's request for an interim clearance was denied. It just means that the investigation wasn't finished when they requested the info, not that they'd found something to disqualify you.

edit: nvm, Hero has much better info!

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 2, 2010

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Slaan posted:

All three questions are a yes. For the first one, an security clearance than can be activated without re-investigation (especially TS/SCI) is really a boon to your desirability for both federal and private contractor employers, and in some cases can be a defining reason as to why they choose you over other applicants for employment. However, some agencies will not accept other agencies' clearances. If you applied to the intelligence community, an active clearance from a State Department internship probably would not do much for you, for instance.

However, clearances expire. Top Secret lasts 5 years, Secret lasts 10 years, and Confidential lasts 15 years if you stay in the same job and then you have to be re-investigated. If you leave the job, your clearance becomes inactive but can be re-activated if within 24 months without requiring a new investigation, assuming it wouldn't fall outside the re-investigation window in the first place.

And yeah, you can say you have a clearance. As long as you're not a CIA superspy and going around telling people that. Maybe bragging to strangers at bars about it isn't the best idea, but it's not something you are required to withhold from friends, family members, and most people with active clearances put them on their resumes as well.

Here's a website about it: http://govcentral.monster.com/security-clearance-jobs/articles/2327-dont-let-your-security-clearance-expire

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

That is pretty much what I thought it was about. Thanks guys!

barbudo
Nov 8, 2010
WHO VOLUNTARILY GOES DAYS WITHOUT A SHOWER FOR NO REASON? DIS GUY

PLEASE SHOWER YOU GROSS FUCK

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Good luck with that; I was a Boren scholar (Thai) with almost 3 years of undergrad overseas, was only good enough to make alternate for Bangkok. That was my second try, the first time I didn't even make alt.

What did you end up doing for your service requirement after Boren?? I'm applying right now.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

barbudo posted:

What did you end up doing for your service requirement after Boren?? I'm applying right now.

I got 3 months of credit for a year of service in National Language Service Corps, otherwise nothing yet. I'm hovering around my phone praying I get called for an interview with the Border Patrol (and putting tons of effort into researching and preparing for it as much as possible), and am seriously considering the Army. I'm far from the only Boren Scholar in this sort of position; NSEP does very little to help you find a job, Schedule A/non-competitive status isn't that useful, and the federal hiring process works at a glacial pace (with hundreds or thousands of other applicants trying to scramble up that glacier at the same time). As another Boren goon put it, it's not a golden ticket to a fed job.

Definitely apply (can't hurt), but if they offer it to you I urge you to put some consideration into accepting it. Truthfully, if I could do it all over again, I wouldn't.

barbudo
Nov 8, 2010
WHO VOLUNTARILY GOES DAYS WITHOUT A SHOWER FOR NO REASON? DIS GUY

PLEASE SHOWER YOU GROSS FUCK

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I got 3 months of credit for a year of service in National Language Service Corps, otherwise nothing yet. I'm hovering around my phone praying I get called for an interview with the Border Patrol (and putting tons of effort into researching and preparing for it as much as possible), and am seriously considering the Army. I'm far from the only Boren Scholar in this sort of position; NSEP does very little to help you find a job, Schedule A/non-competitive status isn't that useful, and the federal hiring process works at a glacial pace (with hundreds or thousands of other applicants trying to scramble up that glacier at the same time). As another Boren goon put it, it's not a golden ticket to a fed job.

Definitely apply (can't hurt), but if they offer it to you I urge you to put some consideration into accepting it. Truthfully, if I could do it all over again, I wouldn't.
Wow, that's great news. My advisor is giving me the "I can't tell you not to apply but don't apply" speech on account of my GPA. I can go to my program for free anyway, I just wanted the hiring aid. Sorry to hear you are having trouble finding a job.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

barbudo posted:

Wow, that's great news. My advisor is giving me the "I can't tell you not to apply but don't apply" speech on account of my GPA. I can go to my program for free anyway, I just wanted the hiring aid. Sorry to hear you are having trouble finding a job.

I'm telling you clearly and straight-up, it's not really a hiring aid, and you will be on the hook for the amount of your award until you find a job (if you can find a job). If you can do your program for free, do it for free and don't gently caress around with the NSEP contract. The "success stories" thread on Borenforum has like 5 posts.

My GPA wasn't amazing when I applied (I want to say 3.49ish?), but I had a ton of study abroad under my belt and experience studying languages when I applied.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Welp, found out that the next class will be the end of March. I'm still really high up on the register, so I hopefully should be getting an invite.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

SWATJester posted:

Welp, found out that the next class will be the end of March. I'm still really high up on the register, so I hopefully should be getting an invite.

The March class historically is one of the easiest to get into due to calls going out soon after those for the January class (already-depleted registers) and the reluctance of candidates to either take kids out of school or to leave school themselves mid-semester.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

I released my first reporting cable the other day.

That was pretty interesting going through the Pol/Econ clearance process.

I have a 2nd one in draft and hope to have it out next week. FSOT here I come.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

TCD posted:

I released my first reporting cable the other day.

That was pretty interesting going through the Pol/Econ clearance process.

I have a 2nd one in draft and hope to have it out next week. FSOT here I come.

POL work is the best work. Seriouspost.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Business of Ferrets posted:

POL work is the best work. Seriouspost.

It's actually Econ. What Econ covers is huge, and when you only have one FSO covering Econ/Commercial Services, they are desperate for help. So reporting on telecomm (natural fit), but also environmental issues is pretty sweet. Pol/Econ chief gave me free reign to do what I want.

As it's a co-located office with only a few officers, it's pretty easy to also report on some Pol stuff even if you're Econ and happen to stumble into it while doing Econ work. FSO mentioned to me if I keep up the reporting I could get an award.

I also received an outstanding endorsement on Friday from another office so it was good way to end the week.
:dance:

TCD fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Dec 18, 2010

xanthig
Apr 23, 2005

TCD posted:

I also received an outstanding endorsement on Friday from another office so it was good way to end the week.
:dance:

This reminds me, gonna be in Rwanda for most of January. It would be good meet up if you're in town.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

TCD posted:

It's actually Econ.

Oh, I wasn't suggesting that you had done POL work, only that you were missing out by not doing so! ;)

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

xanthig posted:

This reminds me, gonna be in Rwanda for most of January. It would be good meet up if you're in town.

Yeah, I'm in town for nearly all of January.

Shoot me a PM.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Oh, I wasn't suggesting that you had done POL work, only that you were missing out by not doing so! ;)

That is one the better parts of being an IMS at a busy Post that's short staffed. I know exactly what cone I want to try and get into.

Now begins the fun part.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

TCD posted:

That is one the better parts of being an IMS at a busy Post that's short staffed. I know exactly what cone I want to try and get into.

Now begins the fun part.

Actually, between POL and ECON, the latter has by far better employment prospects outside of government. MGMT and PD are up there, too. POL and CONS operations are so distinctly governmental in nature that they are disadvantaged when looking for private-sector work.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Management and Economics are pretty obvious for outside work, but Public Diplomacy? I'd think that would be different enough from normal PR to not have a close private business equivalent.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Slaan posted:

Management and Economics are pretty obvious for outside work, but Public Diplomacy? I'd think that would be different enough from normal PR to not have a close private business equivalent.

The Cultural Affairs side of PD is pretty much only useful if you want to run university or NGO exchange programs. The Information (press) side, though, is basically private-sector PR on steroids. Once you've been spokesman/woman at a Class A (big) embassy, the skill set and contact base -- not to mention language and cross-cultural skills -- make one appealing to PR firms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

The Cultural Affairs side of PD is pretty much only useful if you want to run university or NGO exchange programs. The Information (press) side, though, is basically private-sector PR on steroids. Once you've been spokesman/woman at a Class A (big) embassy, the skill set and contact base -- not to mention language and cross-cultural skills -- make one appealing to PR firms.

Additionally, as one moves up the ranks, in any cone and a few specialties, you're becoming a manager of people, resources, and information.