Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canis Dufus
Sep 11, 2001

Nooo not Kershner! He directed the only well-directed one! Why couldn't it have bee-- oh wait I'd better not finish that sentence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
What's absurd about Kershner is you look at his other credentials and you feel like there's no way it's the same director.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

NeonTurtle posted:

Booster Terrik. He managed to get a Star Destroyer to surrender to his barely-armed space station. As for the paint, the only color that came at a reasonable enough price to purchase was "Star Destroyer White."

By the time the Vong rolled around, he had somehow managed to get it painted red. How is never actually explained though...

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
Sad to hear about Kershner passing away, especially on the 30th anniversary of ESB.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
A few weeks ago I bought a 55" HD television and was interested in watching the HD versions of the movies this weekend on Spike. The prequels of course were flawless but the original trilogy looked like poo poo. It seemed like anything without an FX was wonderful but anything with an FX was in a much lower resolution.

Was this my imagination or is there an explantion that the televised HD versions of the original trilogy are HD in non-FX scenes only?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Torael_7 posted:

By the time the Vong rolled around, he had somehow managed to get it painted red. How is never actually explained though...

Didn't he get it painted as a reward for his service in Vision of the Future?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

RagnarokAngel posted:

What's absurd about Kershner is you look at his other credentials and you feel like there's no way it's the same director.

Robocop 2 for example. Yeah, But still sad he is gone. I've got the sudden urge to rewatch ESB again.

Oh, and KOTOR is on for sale on STEAM for the next 24 hours under two pounds/dollars/euros if you want to get a extra copy for a goon/friend/chistmas present for loved one.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

This has kinda made me wonder how we're going to react when Lucas dies. Sure he's done alot to destroy his own franchise but I wonder if people will be more forgiving then.
To me he's still the guy who made it all happen :unsmith:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

We'll miss the model loving creative director from the seventies who gave minor actors a shot, not the bloated broken failure of the man child we have now if he died.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

sniper4625 posted:

Didn't he get it painted as a reward for his service in Vision of the Future?

Oh, yeah, now that you mention it...

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

We'll miss the model loving creative director from the seventies who gave minor actors a shot, not the bloated broken failure of the man child we have now if he died.

How is he a failure? He seems like he had a goal: Make a shitton of cash. He seems to have succeeded.

When he dies though, it will be hilarious to see the kind of backlash people will have for whomever has the reigns to the series.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

MrJacobs posted:

How is he a failure? He seems like he had a goal: Make a shitton of cash. He seems to have succeeded.

When he dies though, it will be hilarious to see the kind of backlash people will have for whomever has the reigns to the series.

As a money maker he wins financially, but he only has two good movies under his belt at the most. Compared to Spielberg and the handful of famous directors who brought the silver age of cinema he could have done so much more.

Just sad to think what he could have done if he hadn't almost broke his passion for making a good movie working on ESB.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
Jar Jar should be engraved on Lucas' tombstone.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

LLJKSiLk posted:

Jar Jar should be engraved on Lucas' tombstone.

Jar Jar is not what's wrong with the prequel trilogy.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Watching Empire Strikes Back on Spike during the weekend, is there any EU explanation on how exactly that Wampa got Luke's feet encased in ice ON THE CEILING in that cave? That seems like a very complicated thing to do for a dumb rear end wampa (unless they have higher cognitive functions like wookies or whatever).

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I...didn't think of that till you mentioned it just now. How the hell did that happen?

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Wookieepedia to the rescue again:

"After disabling their prey, wampas hauled the still-breathing victims back to their cave dwellings and, through different methods, secured them in the ice for later consumption. For some, wampas used their hot breath to melt the ice around a victim's legs and then coated parts of the body in saliva, placing them against the ice ceiling of their caves so they would freeze in place."

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

Captain von Trapp posted:

Jar Jar is not what's wrong with the prequel trilogy.

Exactly. As terrible as he is, he's just a symptom of the underlying problem George Lucas.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

that awful man posted:

Exactly. As terrible as he is, he's just a symptom of the underlying problem George Lucas.

Well yeah, but we don't know if his tombstone will be big enough to list everything wrong. It should just say:

R.I.P. George Lucas
He created Jar Jar Binks
He'sa Re'sa in Pea'cea

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I wouldn't be surprised if he sealed himself in a golden tomb with his still-living household employees and business associates.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

LLJKSiLk posted:

Well yeah, but we don't know if his tombstone will be big enough to list everything wrong. It should just say:

R.I.P. George Lucas
He created Jar Jar Binks
He'sa Re'sa in Pea'cea
You'sa thinkin Georgie gonna die?

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
He's just going to freeze himself so he can be unleashed on our unsuspecting offspring.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

LLJKSiLk posted:

He's just going to freeze himself so he can be unleashed on our unsuspecting offspring.

"See, I felt my image didn't match the my original vision of what I should look like because the technology to improve my appearance just wasn't there. But thanks to advancements in genetic engineering, I can finally be the person I always meant to look like."

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

LLJKSiLk posted:

The Force Unleashed 3: Return of Jorge-killer

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

He did the pilot episode of SeaQuest DSV, which when I was younger was the first TV show that I became an actual "fan" of. I rewatched the series on Netflix recently and it definitely is not as good as I remembered it, but the pilot episode was still decent, I think.

LLJKSiLk posted:

He's just going to freeze himself so he can be FORCE unleashed on our unsuspecting offspring.

Haden Blackman will direct the funeral FMVs.

A Misandrist Duck
Jun 13, 2005

by Fistgrrl
At his funeral it will be George Lucas in the casket but any media/photos/video will have a CGI, 70s-era Lucas.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Looking for suggestions on a good star wars trivia game. I remember playing a trivial pursuit version years ago, it was really difficult which is what I'm looking for. Other than that are there any better ones?

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE

Kingtheninja posted:

Looking for suggestions on a good star wars trivia game. I remember playing a trivial pursuit version years ago, it was really difficult which is what I'm looking for. Other than that are there any better ones?

I own the Trivial Pursuit game. No one will play with me after I answered 17 questions in a row the first time we played.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

LLJKSiLk posted:

The rights can't ever go public domain if Lucas remains in carbon freeze for 3000 years. Lucas :argh:

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

NeonTurtle posted:

I own the Trivial Pursuit game. No one will play with me after I answered 17 questions in a row the first time we played.

Yeah no one plays me around here, either :(

Also since the one I have came out before Episode 1 was released, but during the time it was being made, there's an entire prequel category with a ton of really gimmicky questions about obscure crew members and script writing and whatnot.

There is a pretty cool (and huge) trivia thing I saw at Borders about a week ago, though. It was one of those where all the questions are numbered and you type the number into the little computery-bit. Some of them are pretty rough.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

NeonTurtle posted:

I too have been outlawed from playing. My best friend's wife got it for him for his birthday. I went over with my wife and they decided to split into boys vs. girls.

20 minutes later they were viably getting pissed when we snickered at their wrong answers and then got up from the table once they realized my friend and I were not ending our argument over something Ewok related any time soon.

We toyed with the idea of adding a rule were you had to answer in Klingon but even some nerds have their limits.

Thundercleese5
Apr 23, 2010

War! It's good for me!
What's my name?
I could have sworn that someone posted this elsewhere, but just in case:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI

Probably the best review of TPM I've ever seen. It's worth viewing all seven parts. He nails on the head all of the problems with the movie.

I do think the central problem is that Lucas has not had anyone around him who will gainsay ANY idea he has since the end of ROTJ. I mean, how could anyone of us be surprised by the quality of the Prequels after one viewing of Howard the Duck?

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Thundercleese5 posted:

Probably the best review of TPM I've ever seen. It's worth viewing all seven parts. He nails on the head all of the problems with the movie.

I do think the central problem is that Lucas has not had anyone around him who will gainsay ANY idea he has since the end of ROTJ. I mean, how could anyone of us be surprised by the quality of the Prequels after one viewing of Howard the Duck?

This has been brought up before and there was a thread about it somewhere but I can't for the life of me find it. It's worth watching it again though because his criticism is so spot on.

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010

NeonTurtle posted:

I won that game in two turns when I played my fam

Only question I got wrong was who played Uncle Owen

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010

Bonzo posted:

We toyed with the idea of adding a rule were you had to answer in Klingon but even some nerds have their limits.

That's disgusting.

At least make it Huttese.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

NeonTurtle posted:

I played it with a bunch of other total nerds. Whoever won the roll to go first... won the game. Nobody else even got a chance to take a turn. :sigh:

Edit: That reminds me of the time I was introduced to a girl who was supposedly a Star Trek trivia hotshot.

:v: Okay. Question one: what is the command override prefix code for the USS Reliant?
:j: 16309. Don't waste my time.
:v: Very good. Question two: will you marry me?

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 1, 2010

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

VaultAggie posted:

This has been brought up before and there was a thread about it somewhere but I can't for the life of me find it. It's worth watching it again though because his criticism is so spot on.

The thread was gas-chambered.

But I can't wait to see his Episode 3 one.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Thundercleese5 posted:

He gets posted a LOT actually and his major talking points get regurgitated on here as if they're the poster's own idea.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Darth Vader and George Lucas have a lot of parallels! In their youth they wanted to change the world, and they succeeded. But power corrupts!

...etc
:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Darth Vader and George Lucas have a lot of parallels! In their youth they wanted to change the world, and they succeeded. But power corrupts!

...etc
:goonsay:

He killed a tribe of Bedouin Arabs then?