Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Another serious post re: topics!

Looking for thoughts on a topic related to the psychology of diversity and discrimination. Nothing to do with corporations, the board room, shareholders or employment/labor - I'm doing another article on that + diversity issues.

Looking for thoughts on a topic about VIDEO GAME LAW. Everything is fair game.

These are class papers, ~30 pages each, although I'd be interested in turning them into full blow articles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

sigmachiev posted:

If criminal unauthorized computer access laws should apply for forum spying in games like EVE.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

sigmachiev posted:

Another serious post re: topics!

Looking for thoughts on a topic related to the psychology of diversity and discrimination. Nothing to do with corporations, the board room, shareholders or employment/labor - I'm doing another article on that + diversity issues.

These are class papers, ~30 pages each, although I'd be interested in turning them into full blow articles.

I've got plenty of resources for you on Video Game Law, on condition of being co-author if it goes for publication.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

SWATJester posted:

I've got plenty of resources for you on Video Game Law, on condition of being co-author if it goes for publication.

I'm actually intrigued by that for reasons we can talk about in private. I lost your email and don't have PM, can you hook me up w/ your contact info?

Re: EVE forum spying.

Lawyer & Law School Megathread #13: You Too Can Practice Dargon Law

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004
Hi law thread. Its been a while. Still no job, die alone I take it? Me too.

Will sell blood plasma for booze. Inquire within.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Still no jobs here, die alone as well (the latter becoming much more apparent when my long-term GF broke up with me last night)

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

sigmachiev posted:

Minecraft. 30 pages of Minecraft.

Linguica posted:

Still no jobs here, die alone as well (the latter becoming much more apparent when my long-term GF broke up with me last night)

:smith:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

wacko_- posted:

Hi law thread. Its been a while. Still no job, die alone I take it? Me too.

Will sell blood plasma for booze. Inquire within.

Does the blood plasma come pre-infused with alcohol?

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
I really wish we had more law practice advice/chat in this thread. Sometimes it's good to be able to bounce ideas off of other lawyers or get help with pleadings or legal issues.

Coincidentally, if anyone has any REALLY good sample MSJs or Daubert motions...

Linguica posted:

This may or my not make you feel better, but here goes: My girlfriend and I dated for five years. Three of those were in law school. We lived together throughout all of law school, and had all the same classes the first two years. Third year only about half of our classes were together. She got a job working for DOJ and I didn't have poo poo. After about 7 months of the long distance thing the whole thing erupted into a horrible nasty fight that almost kept us from staying friends.

But in the four months that I was single, I really got my rear end in gear in terms of building up my practice. Not having someone around can really be a good motivator. When you get into a long term relationship, it's easy to take things for granted. And it's easy to get lazy when you know someone will be there to bail you out. You probably don't want to hear it, but this break-up could end up being really good for you in the long run.

Stunt Rock fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 1, 2010

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

Yeah, it's a federal case. I'm going to just attach the deposition to the motion as an exhibit and let the other party object.

Edit: Scraps, when are you coming up to Big D so we can open Scraps and Mudd?

Hahahah, we'll see. I'll be in town sometime over the holidays if you are ;-*

Stunt Rock posted:

I really wish we had more law practice advice/chat in this thread. Sometimes it's good to be able to bounce ideas off of other lawyers or get help with pleadings or legal issues.

I've got some fantastic MSJ responses (not written by me) but no really good MSJs.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Stunt Rock posted:

What jurisdiction, and do you want Daubert attack or defense?

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Bitch, what you don't know about me I can just about squeeze in the Grand fucking Canyon.

evilweasel posted:

Considering law students and lawyers, probably. As an aside, donating blood and blood products makes it insanely easy (read: cheap) to get drunk.

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004

evilweasel posted:

Occasionally, yes. The quality of the alcohol depends on the status of my bank account and on the whims of the local alcohol board. I expect the luxurious premium charged for booze pads their coffers nicely.

IrritationX posted:

As an aside, donating blood and blood products makes it insanely easy (read: cheap) to get drunk.

This is the truth.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.

entris posted:

I've got a nice, solid topic for you. PM me and I'll give you details, or IM me at entris9000.

Got an email I could use? No PM/ IM on this PC.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I was in the process of filling out a ~30 page sperm donor application before I got my temp job. It's surprisingly profitable, though they do hold half your money until you complete the terms of your contract.

Part of it is that you're not allowed to ejaculate in a certain period before a donation. What if you have a wet dream or something? Can you just lie or will they know?

Anyway thoughts like this are the fruit of my legal career in case anyone was still thinking about going

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ainsley McTree posted:

Part of it is that you're not allowed to ejaculate in a certain period before a donation. What if you have a wet dream or something? Can you just lie or will they know?

Your sperm count will be too low so you'll get rejected, which is why they have that requirement.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Stunt Rock posted:

We should have a depot of motions and poo poo similar to the outline bank or something.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Vander posted:

Got an email I could use? No PM/ IM on this PC.

entris2010@gmail.com, I think, is my new temporary address that I'm willing to post here. Too bad you don't have PMs :(

entris fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 1, 2010

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY

Elotana posted:

Did you try outlinedepot? BK is a pretty common class, if there aren't old outlines there for your professor specifically there's almost certainly commercial flowcharts keyed to your textbook.

I've seen a bunch of stuff on Outline Depot that looked relevant (Outlines keyed to my casebook, etc), but Outline Depot seemed a bit sketchy, and "Outline depot scam" came up when I went to google them.

Are they legit? Did you buy the outlines, or upload your own?

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Why am I so loving sloooooooooow at writing responses?

Because I'm bad.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Lilosh posted:

I've seen a bunch of stuff on Outline Depot that looked relevant (Outlines keyed to my casebook, etc), but Outline Depot seemed a bit sketchy, and "Outline depot scam" came up when I went to google them.

I uploaded a bunch of junk I got from some older people and got a lot of credits. It actually worked pretty well.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

sigmachiev posted:

I'm actually intrigued by that for reasons we can talk about in private. I lost your email and don't have PM, can you hook me up w/ your contact info?

Re: EVE forum spying.

Lawyer & Law School Megathread #13: You Too Can Practice Dargon Law

my username at gmail

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

Stunt Rock posted:

This may or my not make you feel better, but here goes: My girlfriend and I dated for five years. Three of those were in law school. We lived together throughout all of law school, and had all the same classes the first two years. Third year only about half of our classes were together. She got a job working for DOJ and I didn't have poo poo. After about 7 months of the long distance thing the whole thing erupted into a horrible nasty fight that almost kept us from staying friends.

Yeah, when you and your sig-other are in the same field, the success gradient can be a really problematic issue, especially when there's that much difference. :smith:

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Linguica posted:

:(

Really sorry to hear that man.

Anthropolis
Jun 9, 2002

Linguica posted:

Come back to Michigan - you can have what I am told is the last Four Loko case in the state

Harry Ellis
Nov 9, 2004

Hans, bubby, I'm your white knight!

Tokelau All Star posted:

I uploaded a bunch of junk I got from some older people and got a lot of credits. It actually worked pretty well.

Don't bother trying to upload this late into the semester; I tried that once and they didn't get around to "reviewing" my submissions until the next semester.

Ended up buying the outline and felt lovely about it but new prof and it worked out pretty well.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

sigmachiev posted:

Apply nuisance law to virtual property. Go!

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat
I hired someone to paint my living room. Turns out he has a law degree. He can't find a job so now he works for his dad's painting company. He says he makes more money painting than any of the law jobs he was looking at.

So there's that option, I suppose.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

echopapa posted:

Do I have a cause of action against my minecraft neighbor for building a giant lava vomiting face that obstructs the view of my castle?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Roger_Mudd posted:

Do I have a cause of action against my minecraft neighbor for building a giant lava vomiting face that obstructs the view of my castle?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spite_fence

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Linguica posted:

:glomp:

Stunt Rock posted:

Nobody wants to talk about transactional law. :(

Roger_Mudd posted:

yes but damages are $00.00001 because it's really just your time and if you're loving around on minecraft your time is worth very little.

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

The income tax consequences for space travelers at sub-light speeds.

I want to write this loving paper as an independent research assignment but can't bring myself to ask a prof to supervise it because it seems so ridiculous.

Probably not interesting. As a US citizen you're still obligated to file a return every year (assuming you make anything) and I'm willing to bet that the government does not consider the time in foreign jurisdictions when determining whether or not you failed to comply.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

Solomon Grundy posted:

What jurisdiction, and do you want Daubert attack or defense?

Daubert attack in a federal district court in the 5th circuit.

CaptainScraps posted:

I've got some fantastic MSJ responses (not written by me) but no really good MSJs.

Apparently the other side is writing an MSJ because they're such cocky shitbirds they think they'll win at MSJ and only have a trial on damages so I will probably need one of those at some point.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

builds character posted:

Nobody wants to talk about transactional law.
That is because trials kick rear end :doink:

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

In that case you actually have an easement to build a giant lava rear end to do the same to him.

Btw Rog, do you know the firm Johnston Tobey in D-town?

Stunt Rock posted:

Apparently the other side is writing an MSJ because they're such cocky shitbirds they think they'll win at MSJ and only have a trial on damages so I will probably need one of those at some point.

Hahahaha, I've done that just to make an insurance company take a case seriously/convince a court of a factual dispute.

Still dumb according to the oldtime attorneys because imposition of liability by a jury usually increases damages.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Lilosh posted:

I sunk about $80 into it over my last four semesters and it was the most cost-effective money I spent in law school. It wasn't a scam in 2009.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Roger_Mudd posted:

No because you implicitly authorized them to build such a face when you invited them to participate in a game that arguably is specifically designed for making giant lava vomiting faces.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

CaptainScraps posted:

In that case you actually have an easement to build a giant lava rear end to do the same to him.

Btw Rog, do you know the firm Johnston Tobey in D-town?

Hahahaha, I've done that just to make an insurance company take a case seriously/convince a court of a factual dispute.

Still dumb according to the oldtime attorneys because imposition of liability by a jury usually increases damages.

Two of their claims are time-barred but there's a hilarious run-around. Basically my guy wrote them saying he was going to send some nasty letters out if they didn't pay him. Then he sent some nasty letters out. The people he sent letters to sent those letters to the Plaintiff and said "LOOK AT THIS JERK"

Their response to my interrogatory about when they learned he was sending these supposedly defamatory letters out?

"We learned that he was THREATENING to send letters on [DAY IN 2006], but didn't get confirmation that the letters were actually mailed until his deposition in July of 2010."

:rolleyes:

Thurlow
Aug 14, 2005
Have any UVA grads here had Nelson for Civ Pro? Basically making GBS threads myself over his exam due to the amount of material we've covered. It's 4 hours and completely open note and we can bring commercial outlines as well. Should I just roll up with a shitload of flowcharts and Glannon?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
I want to know if I have the right to sue Notch for making a game that has sucked me in and taken over my life despite the fact that I have never been a video game person ever in my entire life and now all I can do is dream of digging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

echopapa posted:

Kinda reminds me of that WoW video where the evil guild marched on that in-game funeral for that person who died IRL.