Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

YOURFRIEND posted:

Their militant defense of a mediocre ten year old game most of them enjoyed when they were pre-teens says a lot about the game itself, no?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

What a day, what a day.

e: welp, worst snipe ever, my posting career can only go up from here, here's some sequential art that deftly skewers modern game narrative design

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 28, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stump Truck
Nov 26, 2007
Why? Yes
I'm not like this in other games, but for some reason in Deus Ex I get so greedy that I want EVERY ITEM I CAN FIND. On that note, does anyone play Fallout 3 or NV and not steal everything they see, karma be damned?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Stump Truck posted:

I'm not like this in other games, but for some reason in Deus Ex I get so greedy that I want EVERY ITEM I CAN FIND. On that note, does anyone play Fallout 3 or NV and not steal everything they see, karma be damned?

I do that in every game.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Not a single fork in Morrowind escaped me. I made a giant tower of them outside Vivec's palace.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

Grand Fromage posted:

Not a single fork in Morrowind escaped me. I made a giant tower of them outside Vivec's palace.

How weird. I used to steal and take every pillow I saw and stash them in a house in Balmora I stole. I did this in every play through. On about my third playthrough I was pretty pissed when I found out that someone else on the other end of town had stolen my schtick.

I stole all of her pillows too.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Category Fun! posted:

I was doing a non-lethal playthrough, using the crossbow tranq darts. I was on the rooftops in Hell's Kitchen after slogging through the underground section, and no matter what I couldn't sneak up to the guards on nearby buildings and knock them all out.
This becomes a lot easier when you realize you can shoot a crossbow bolt at a wall and they'll stare at it while you taze them or click the melee damage aug on and smack them with the baton.

It doesn't even cost ammo because you can pick the bolt back up.

As for knocking out all of the UNATCO agents in the later New York mission: Some of the patrols are cross-covered all of the time, but that doesn't mean you can't block their route and vision with trash cans and cardboard boxes!

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Nov 28, 2010

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
I went the stealthy melee weapons guy route. Stabbing people is hard, they almost never die on the first hit and still seem to make a lot of noise. Is that normal?

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

DreadCthulhu posted:

I went the stealthy melee weapons guy route. Stabbing people is hard, they almost never die on the first hit and still seem to make a lot of noise. Is that normal?

Try to hit them in the top of the head. The trick to stealth kills is finding the sweet spot, at least, until you get the Dragon's Tooth and start destroying everyone.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

DreadCthulhu posted:

yeah, you either need to find the sweet spot with the knife (back or the neck, or, inexplicably, the back of the shin), or use that aug that increases melee strength

that's not recommended, though, since, as someone mentioned, the dragon's tooth sword trivializes melee combat

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Is the sword something I'll have to gamefaqs for, or will I inevitably stumble upon it?

Also, yes, why does hitting someone in the rear end with a knife occasionally oneshots them?

CaptainStag
Sep 29, 2004

Good acting is a practiced craft, one that suggests subtlety and nuance.
In all fairness, I think there's a few objects which can only be dragon tooth'ed(toothed? toothered?) if you have the melee strength aug, so it still has uses later in the game.
Plus I think it works with throwing knives, those are fun. The sword will be really obvious, you can't miss it.

And I'm pretty sure if I shoved a knife up your rear end you'd go down real quick too :colbert:

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

Fag Boy Jim posted:

not sure what's weird here. the story is pulpy poo poo, but every loving video game ever is pulpy poo poo. it's the presentation of the story that makes DX considered "well-written" compared to other video games.

If you read all the books and all the stuff in people's email you'll find there's some well written stuff in there. They hired a writer to make alot of that and very few games like Dues Ex even had writers back then.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's pretty much impossible not to encounter the DTS.

DreadCthulhu posted:

Also, yes, why does hitting someone in the rear end with a knife occasionally oneshots them?

Because you hit them in the instakill zone. For melee weapons (lethal or not) it's the base of the neck.

e; I would go so far as recommending Biomod for a first playthrough now - it makes the augs make a lot more sense.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Nov 28, 2010

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

DreadCthulhu posted:

Is the sword something I'll have to gamefaqs for, or will I inevitably stumble upon it?

Don't worry, you can't miss it. It's part of the main storyline.

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006
Falsifying grassroots support since 2006!

Rosscifer posted:

If you read all the books and all the stuff in people's email you'll find there's some well written stuff in there. They hired a writer to make alot of that and very few games like Dues Ex even had writers back then.

Even nowadays they might have writers but they don't have the same level of subtlety in showing it to the player.

(By subtlety I mean the way the story is largely shown, and expanded upon, by emails and datacubes and whatnot. Nowadays it's explicitly told to you by NPCs or you're forced to watch cutscenes).

Astroturf Man fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Nov 28, 2010

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Spaz Medicine posted:

Don't worry, you can't miss it. It's part of the main storyline.

You can miss it, but you need to go out of your way to do so. Even then it shows up a little later in Hong Kong, anyway.

Stump Truck
Nov 26, 2007
Why? Yes

Captain Novolin posted:

You can miss it, but you need to go out of your way to do so. Even then it shows up a little later in Hong Kong, anyway.

Anyone who doesn't open every door and explore every square foot of the levels in Deus Ex is doing it wrong :colbert:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Luigi Thirty posted:

One of the best parts of Deus Ex is all the dialog for doing stuff that a first-time player might not do but someone who's played the game a million times would do.

That and Manderley telling JC to stop being such a perv for going into the women's bathroom.

This is absolutely true. I love how Manderly tells JC to stop screwing around when I throw the vases in his office at him in protest of my newest set of orders. I think I do this because it's funny to imagine doing something like this in real life.

Boss: "Oh hey GreatGreen, can you fill out some of these forms before you leave for lunch?"
GreatGreen: *throws paperweight at boss's face as hard as he can*
Boss: "Hey, stop screwing around and get back to work!"
GreatGreen: *throws office chair at boss's face as hard as he can*
Boss: "Hey, stop screwing around and get back to work!"
GreatGreen: *does paperwork*
Boss: "Thanks GreatGreen, I was right about you. You're definitely an asset to the company."

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 30, 2010

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Stump Truck posted:

Anyone who doesn't open every door and explore every square foot of the levels in Deus Ex is doing it wrong :colbert:

But there wasn't a reward for every location found.

I never found anything in the power box right outside JC's office. Why would they put that compartment there and have nothing in it?

And it was behind a locked door too :argh:

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Minarchist posted:

But there wasn't a reward for every location found.

I never found anything in the power box right outside JC's office. Why would they put that compartment there and have nothing in it?

And it was behind a locked door too :argh:
There's various stuff in there during your visits to UNATCO. Sometimes nothing.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

There's various stuff in there during your visits to UNATCO. Sometimes nothing.

No, I meant in the power box itself. There's a small compartment behind some wires that can be popped open to reveal a whole lot of nothing. It's kind of like that 100-level locked door in FO3 near the satellite dishes that opens up to a concrete wall with gently caress YOU tagged on it.

Just game devs having some fun.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
A level designer changed his mind or one disagreed with another.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i'm pretty sure there actually is stuff once but not enough to warrant a lockpick

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Minarchist posted:

No, I meant in the power box itself. There's a small compartment behind some wires that can be popped open to reveal a whole lot of nothing. It's kind of like that 100-level locked door in FO3 near the satellite dishes that opens up to a concrete wall with gently caress YOU tagged on it.

Just game devs having some fun.

I remember finding a grenade of some type here?

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Basically I'm clueless when it comes to pc gaming. I've had two MacBooks in a row and before that a huge turd of a pc so Ive never really had a chance to play pc games. Recently I inherited this gem of an eMachine, http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=W3507, and have it connected to my tv to stream videos. I've always wanted to play this game, would this piece of poo poo run it well enough to play?

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

loudog999 posted:

Basically I'm clueless when it comes to pc gaming. I've had two MacBooks in a row and before that a huge turd of a pc so Ive never really had a chance to play pc games. Recently I inherited this gem of an eMachine, http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=W3507, and have it connected to my tv to stream videos. I've always wanted to play this game, would this piece of poo poo run it well enough to play?

I'm fairly sure it'll run DX just fine.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Faffel posted:

I'm fairly sure it'll run DX just fine.

Awesome, I guess I'll sign up for steam and pick it up to try out over Christmas break. Thanks.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I do that in every game.

I do that in real life. :colbert:

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

loudog999 posted:

Awesome, I guess I'll sign up for steam and pick it up to try out over Christmas break. Thanks.
My only doubt is the videocard, but DX is so old I'm fairly sure your videocard would still be better than the best card available when it was new.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Faffel posted:

My only doubt is the videocard, but DX is so old I'm fairly sure your videocard would still be better than the best card available when it was new.

It should be fine. The integrated card offers SOME 3D acceleration, which for those first gen full 3D engines is all you will really need.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Over Thanksgiving I bought Invisible War on Steam for $2.50. This past week I tried playing it on a few different occasions, and I just...it just hasn't clicked yet. The story seems interesting enough, and I've only played about 45 minutes but I am not even remotely interested in continuing my file. The inventory system is pretty stupid, the complete lack of any RPG elements whatsoever just seems like an odd choice and the Biomod system is frustrating at best, extremely exploitable and overpowered at worst.

It's a shame because the characters and the story have got me intrigued and I want to see what happens next but the gameplay itself is just too much of a bummer for me to even continue playing.

Cray
Dec 3, 2010
That's because Invisible War is just bad. I hear a lot of "good game, disappointing sequel" apologia these days, but that really only applies to Thief 3.

I'm sure this was posted before but it's an interesting watch, like most of these Spector interviews.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGIdYl2oN74

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Cray posted:

That's because Invisible War is just bad. I hear a lot of "good game, disappointing sequel" apologia these days, but that really only applies to Thief 3.

Deadly Shadows is a legitimately good game, held back only by engine limitations and with a superfluous reputation dynamic.

Invisible War is just a bad game. Mediocre at the very best. And I've completed it a few times. It was the hankering for Deus Ex that wasn't the first game that did it. Now I just play The Nameless Mod instead, so there's no reason for me to ever touch IW again.

Cray
Dec 3, 2010

Dr Snofeld posted:

Deadly Shadows is a legitimately good game, held back only by engine limitations and with a superfluous reputation dynamic.

I like it quite a lot and the Cradle level is absolutely fantastic, but it qualifies as a disappointing sequel for me because of how tiny the levels are compared to something like that one rooftop level in Thief 2. Like you said, engine limitations.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

Deus Ex + Invisible War is $2.99 on Steam today.

Cray
Dec 3, 2010
I own two legit physical copies of Deus Ex. One of them is installed right now and it doesn't even seem to require the CD to run. I'm still going to buy it on Steam.

Is something wrong with me?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Cray posted:

Cray posted:

Deus Ex

Nope.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Cray posted:

I own two legit physical copies of Deus Ex. One of them is installed right now and it doesn't even seem to require the CD to run. I'm still going to buy it on Steam.

Only two?

I'm listening to the Deus Ex soundtrack right now. Hong Kong music is the poo poo.

Cray
Dec 3, 2010

Gyshall posted:

Only two?

Well, I've got a third one now. :colbert:

Gyshall posted:

I'm listening to the Deus Ex soundtrack right now. Hong Kong music is the poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq9xJB9_lpU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Cray posted:

You take this back, Thief 3 was a great successor to the series. I agree that the levels were small, but the game looked fantastic at release, ran very well and holds up even today.

Anyway, I'm 15 hours into Deus Ex, and man, what a game. I can't seem to manage my inventory properly though, can anyone suggest something I should drop? I don't have a single free slot

I've got:

Sniper rifle
Assault Shotgun
Assault Rifle
GEP gun
Dragon Sword
Crossbow
3 LAM's
Medkits
Lockpicks
Multitools

I just don't know what to drop, everything is useful somehow. Sniper rifle is silenced so I can't lose that. Most weapon mods went into the assault rifle, so I want to keep that too. Also I'm trained mostly into rifles. GEP gun is great for opening doors and blowing up robots, the sword is just ridiculous with my speed augmentation (fully upgraded).

It's kinda frustrating finding aug canisters, having to drop something, backtrack several minutes to find a medbot and finding out I already have augmentation in that slot :sigh: