Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nafrodite
Jan 9, 2004

now is the winter of our discontent

Resonance22 posted:

Wanted to also recommend the G500 for anyone out there. I miss that mouse when I'm not using it. The only thing I wish it had was the scroll wheel from the MX Revolution. On the Revolution, if you spun the middle wheel hard enough, it would put itself into free spin mode. It's amazing. On the G500, you have to specifically click the button below it to switch between free spin and normal notchy spin. As far as I can tell, that feature died with the MX Revolution. :(

Yeah, I've got the G500 and it's pretty decent in that you can't really fault it on anything.

The MX Revolution basically had an electronic switch that activated and deactivated the free spin mode, whereas the G500 seems to have a manual mechanical switch. But more than that, I miss the little thumb scroll wheel rocker thing. It was just so good. I'd assign melee and grenades onto it when playing FPS games and it'd be so seemless. Whilst browsing, it'd be used to switch between tabs. Anywhere else, you could use it as a volume control and pause/play button. The thing was so handy, and it's making me consider dropping another $50 or so for that mouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I have a Logitech M505, and while I really like it, I've been annoyed by the spotty middle-click action - sometimes a middle-click will register, other times it takes two or three clicks. I've looked around for other mice like it, but nowadays a majority of them come with the "three button" scroll wheel that afflicts my otherwise perfect mouse. Is there a wireless mouse with a micro-USB receiver that DOESN'T have a scroll whell that moves side-to-side?

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
My mouses:

G5 laser mouse - was fine, eventually wore out and was double clicking etc.
MX 518 or whatever - same
Lachesis - very overhyped, the side buttons are all hard to hit for me and I never got used to the abnormal shape
Death Adder - best mouse ever, but I am getting a RSI on my left hand due to the amount of bindings Darkfall makes me have, so I bought a ...
Razer Naga - feels better than Lachesis but worse than death adder, but it has 12 mouse buttons on the left. Initially seems ridiculous but it should help with my bindings problem.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
What do you folks with Razer mice do to clean them? I've destroyed the rubberized coating on my Pro Click using bogroll + drop of water.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
The right click on my MX518 died on me today :cry:

can anyone recommend a good mouse around $50 or $60?

while the MX518 was/is a great mouse, I feel like changing it up a bit, but I don't really know where to start looking, I'll probably head over to best buy tomorrow (because I'm impatient like that), but I'd like to hear any recommendations.

alternatively, what steps do I take to return the unit to logitech to get it replaced? I've only had the mouse since March, and I've heard logitech has good customer support, but I don't have the receipt or any warranty information that originally came with the mouse...I didn't think I'd need it :doh:

Fano fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Nov 23, 2010

Dissident
Jun 1, 2000

Fano posted:

I've only had the mouse since March, and I've heard logitech has good customer support, but I don't have the receipt or any warranty information that originally came with the mouse...I didn't think I'd need it :doh:

You don't - just give the CSR your serial and they can authorize a new one to be sent to you if the P/N on the back is still within warranty. Give 'em a call and find out.

Inphinity
Sep 21, 2003

I got a Logitech G700 a month or so ago and loving it. Weight feels really good to me, plenty of customizable buttons in what, for me, are really accessible locations, and overall it just feels really good to use. The ability to use it either wireless or corded is great, too.

I had a fairly basic MS Laser Mouse 5-button wired or something before, a Logitech MX1000 (the old one with the charger base) prior to that, and before that a Logitech Wingman Gaming mouse. And various cheapies in between.

But the G700 is definitely the best mouse I've owned so far.

Kegwen
Feb 22, 2003

Fano posted:

The right click on my MX518 died on me today :cry:

can anyone recommend a good mouse around $50 or $60?

while the MX518 was/is a great mouse, I feel like changing it up a bit, but I don't really know where to start looking, I'll probably head over to best buy tomorrow (because I'm impatient like that), but I'd like to hear any recommendations.

alternatively, what steps do I take to return the unit to logitech to get it replaced? I've only had the mouse since March, and I've heard logitech has good customer support, but I don't have the receipt or any warranty information that originally came with the mouse...I didn't think I'd need it :doh:

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/support-downloads/support-contactus

It looks like you don't need a proof of purchase. Alternatively, the G500 is often within that price range.

edit: somehow completely missed that response. Woops.

Ted Stevens
Jun 2, 2007

by T. Finn
Yeah, Fano, my old roommate had a problem with his Logitech mouse. It was quite a few years old. He just called Logitech, explained the problem, and they sent him a new mouse free of charge. They didn't even ask for the old one back. Try that and see how it goes.

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004
Ferkelwämser extraordinaire
Got my G500 today and it feels really nice.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
I went ahead and bought a deathadder today because I'm impatient (and I hadn't seen your posts this morning)

I'll probably go ahead and get the mouse replaced as a backup anyway, but I'm really liking the deathadder right now, feels a LOT better for my grip.

molotoveverything
Oct 18, 2010
Probably been mentioned before but spending that much on a mouse is unnecessary, you won't be getting any benefits from it. Most pro-gamers just use MS intelli opticals.

If you want something a little more defined than you could get a steelseries kinzu which is basically a souped up version of the Intelli mouse.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Is there another (probably non-Razer) mouse that's similar in shape to the DeathAdder? I like the shape of my DA, but the coating started rubbing off after a couple of months, the mouse is a couple of years old now, and it also developed the annoying double-click issue where a light/normal single-click frequently makes the mouse double-click instead. Updating the firmware didn't help things, either.

I kind of wish there were more mice with stacked side buttons, too. The side-by-side placement makes the 5th button basically useless on most mice.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
Yeah the rubber coating rubbed off my Pro Click too. I thought I was cleaning it too hard though... :|

A Bloody Crowbar
May 9, 2009

Are there any other mice like this?

(Micrososft Arc mouse)

Seeing a Logitech Illuminated KB got me interested in arranging my desk space in a super-slim minimalist aesthetic, and this is instantly the first mouse I thought of to go with it.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
The number one priority for me, far and away above anything else, is ergonomics. After a few minutes, does the mouse still remind me that I'm using it, or does it just kind of meld with my hand so that I almost don't even feel it anymore? The next priority is how many buttons it has and where they are placed on the mouse.

For years I've used a Logitech G5. The shape of the mouse and the material it's made from is fantastic, but the middle click takes a lot more force than it needs to and there's only 1 thumb button. If a Logitech released a G5 with an easier-to-click wheel and like 4 thumb buttons, I'd buy 10 of them and use them for the rest of my life.

So, Logitech G700, owners, how well does that mouse fit your hand? How rough are the rubber grips?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 24, 2010

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Logitech G500 10 Buttons Dual-mode

$35 free shipping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104318&cm_mmc=AFC-SlickDeals-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA&nm_mc=AFC-SlickDeals

I didn't particularly like the way it felt in my hand but otherwise a nice mouse. It has pretty much good reviews anywhere

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

Christoff posted:

Logitech G500 10 Buttons Dual-mode

$35 free shipping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104318&cm_mmc=AFC-SlickDeals-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA&nm_mc=AFC-SlickDeals

I didn't particularly like the way it felt in my hand but otherwise a nice mouse. It has pretty much good reviews anywhere

That G500 looks very tempting because the G5 I've had for about 4-5 years is starting to wear out(feet worn flat, left click button just about wore out). I am trying to decide between this and the G700 but I'm not sure. Right now I'm using a basic wireless Logitech mouse which hasn't had any hiccups but the the ergonomics on it are terrible - it's too small and ambidextrous. So do I go with wired for $35 or wireless for $85?

edit: gently caress it, at that price I'm getting the G500. The wired G5 has served me well for over 5 years and I don't want to pay the $50 wireless premium.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Nov 30, 2010

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
After using the RAt 7 since launch, I would never recommend this mouse to anyone.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

weapey posted:

I'm a leftie, a gamer, and a Xai owner (along with numerous other mice).

I can't recommend it for low to mid sensitivity (anything around or less than a 12" for a 360 turn in an FPS), as the sensor has both negative and positive acceleration (if you plotted centimetres moved against pixels moved, it would could out in a squiggly line instead of a straight line - it just isn't linear or consistent). This is less noticable if you're not that bothered about accuracy. You might be alright in Quake Live for example as you'll hardly notice any difference. For the record, this is with the latest firmware (last updated about 11 months ago, around the time of release), and apparently YMMV from mouse to mouse.

I just wanted to chime in that I got a Xai recently and so far I absolutely love it. Maybe they ironed out the bugs in the factory since mine came fully updated right out of the box.

I can't find any negative or positive accel. I have also not noticed the scroll wheel bug(after scrolling many times in one direction it may skip a scroll and then suddenly do two in a row on the next tick).

The max 5001 dpi is overkill but considering that it can be adjusted in increments of one I think of it like the sensitivity slider you find in games; they extend way further than I would ever need, but I rather have a bit of surplus than being restricted. As such I have the windows mouse notch set to middle and in game sens set to 1.0, letting the mouse itself determine the speed through hardware.

Setting the polling rate to 480(straight from the mouse itself) and disabling angle/snapping correction also makes it as responsive as I could possibly get it.

Furthermore I prefer this kind of design. From a distance it looks plain, which I'm quite fond of. I don't want something that screams THIS IS SPECIAL LOOK AT ME. The ambidextrous design also allows me to hold it like I want to, unlike a lot of other mice that were designed with a specific grip in mind.

All in all I am very happy with it and am glad I got it quite late after its release. It was a lot cheaper that way and I did not have to change the firmware or anything. :)

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

ColHannibal posted:

After using the RAt 7 since launch, I would never recommend this mouse to anyone.
Interesting. I haven't got one, but would be interesting in hearing your reason why it isn't good.

Greedish
Nov 5, 2009

what does this say
i don't even know
help
Just bought an MX518. Hope y'all didn't lie to me! :argh:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Greedish posted:

Just bought an MX518. Hope y'all didn't lie to me! :argh:

Don't worry, you will love it.

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

MX518 is fantastic, I've been using one (both generations) for like the past five or six years. Still would be but just got a cheap G500 to play with.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
My Logitech M310 just came in the mail today and I have to say I'm already in love with it. The middle-click action is fantastic after a year or so of using another Logitech mouse with one of those "side-to-side scrolling" mouse wheels that grew more and more unreliable over time. To top it all off, the mouse can apparently get a year off of a single AA battery (even if its only a few months, that's still drat good for something running on a single battery), and the nano receiver can be stored in a little spot inside the mouse.

If you want a simple wireless three-button mouse, I'd highly recommend the M310.

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
Just got the G700.

I used a DeathAdder for 2 years before this and the coating was wearing off and looking disgusting.

This mouse is mouse perfection. Texturized non-coated grip, smooth buttons requiring the perfect amount of pressure, perfect button arrangement/placement...

gently caress, i feel like I just inherited a mouse from the gods.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

ColHannibal posted:

I also would be interested, as I'm waiting for its bigger brother at a non 150$ price.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Did I miss out by never owning or even using a MX518? As far as gaming mice go, I had a MX1000 for about a year then I got a G5 which I've now had for over 5 years and yesterday I ordered a G500 just before the sale ended on newegg. I love my G5 but its wearing out so I hope the G500 is just as good.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 1, 2010

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
The RAT 7 takes considerable time to get used to, the laser gets hosed over by a micron of dust, not to mention at random intervals the tracking will lock on one axis so i can only go horizontal or vertical until i pick it up.

In a few years when they have the experience to make a decent mouse they will be worth a drat but they just are so lackluster in use in comparison to a proper logitec mouse.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

spasticColon posted:

Did I miss out by never owning or even using a MX518? As far as gaming mice go, I had a MX1000 for about a year then I got a G5 which I've now had for over 5 years and yesterday I ordered a G500 just before the sale ended on newegg. I love my G5 but its wearing out so I hope the G500 is just as good.

I wouldn't say you were missing out if you already have a mouse you enjoy using.

It's simply that the 518 has been a mouse that has been in production for 5 years; and in a market of "gamer" products that change all the drat time, that's pretty unusual - so a lot of people have experience of it, often favourable.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Dec 1, 2010

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
The worst thing about the Logitech G series mice is that their graphic designers are apparently locked in the early 90's.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

ColHannibal posted:

The RAT 7 takes considerable time to get used to, the laser gets hosed over by a micron of dust, not to mention at random intervals the tracking will lock on one axis so i can only go horizontal or vertical until i pick it up.

My mamba did all of this same poo poo.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I bought a deathadder back when it first came out, It was the most comfortable mouse I've ever used, however it seemed to get somewhat warm all by itself, I would sit down on a cold day and it would be warm. I guess it is because of the infrared light or something, then the mouse wheel started squeaking. I've noticed they've since released a new version of it does anyone know if they fixed these problems, mainly the warming up problem (I have sweaty hands) I can always use some oil for the squeak problem.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I bought a deathadder back when it first came out, It was the most comfortable mouse I've ever used, however it seemed to get somewhat warm all by itself, I would sit down on a cold day and it would be warm. I guess it is because of the infrared light or something, then the mouse wheel started squeaking. I've noticed they've since released a new version of it does anyone know if they fixed these problems, mainly the warming up problem (I have sweaty hands) I can always use some oil for the squeak problem.

My mamba (did I mention I hated my mamba?) started squeaking after about 2 weeks, the reason it does this is because all of the moving wheel components are plastic on plastic as far as I can tell.

Checked the web and it is a pretty common complaint. People recommended using a type of graphite to deal with squeaking, since oil will only attract more dust and grit.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
As someone who nerded out spent a literal week researching mice and have owned many I'll say in general:

When looking to purchase a mouse, base it on:

Important:

Size, shape, weight, and comfort. This is preference, although certain types of games tend to be played better with different types of mice, more on that later.
Quality of the sensor. Above 1800 dpi doesn't matter at all, but the quality and reliability of the sensor do. If the mouse is under 1000 DPI and you are a high-sensitivity user it can cause some problems, but your sensitivity has to be pretty high. I still don't suggest 400 DPI mice if you play games on a high sensitivity. They will have no problem with non-direct input games like counter-strike (high dpi in either counter strike game can cause reverse mouse acceleration due to a bug involving lack of a direct input wrapper) or low res games like Brood War, however. Some sensors, in particular lasers, can have a maximum speed past which they lock up. This is rare in modern mice, and all razer mice and most logitech mice will not have this problem. It is slightly more common in laser mice than in optical mice.

Extra buttons, if needed.

Unimportant: More glowing things are better.

My suggestions based on research + being a gigantic dork + purchasing a bunch of mice and trying these out:

The DeathAdder is basically a similarly priced Mx518 with less of the weight, and IMO a slightly better shape (Mx518 is too tall for my liking, some people might like that). If you want an ergonomic mouse or a mouse with two extra side buttons, the DeathAdder is what I would suggest. In a competitive context, the DeathAdder excels in low sensitivity, horizontally heavy situations. An example of this would be a game like counter-strike or a standard, aim-based FPS without vertically twitchy scenarios like rocket jumping.

For real-time strategy games or games like Quake 3, you want something that covers the vertical plane as easily as the horizontal plane. For this I suggest the Razer Abyssus, a symmetrical, non-ergonomic mouse, with no side buttons. It's easier to use for vertical movement because it is less long and can go further into the palm of your hand. In addition, it is small and light, and due to the constant direction-changing of games like Starcraft (BW or 2) this is what you want and what professionals use (And it's not just because Koreans have tiny hands!)

Both of these mice are pretty cheap, you can get normal versions of these mice if you don't want to splurge (Microsoft intellimouse would be the generic version of the DeathAdder, and something like an mx300 or a logitech mini optical would be the generic version of the abyssus) but who doesn't like glowing LEDs on their mice?

Well, later.

*typo **well, later

Carol Pizzamom fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 3, 2010

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

Also, since this is general mouse discussion heres some sweet Mouse Facts

Never change your windows sensitivity from 6/11 (the exact center) as this causes weird problems with your mouse's smoothness (can be proven with a mouse input reader, although the effect is very small)

'Enhance Pointer Precision' is windows maccel, in general unless you love it I'd turn it off and turn on maccel in a game where you use it (Good Quake3 players use this??)

Anything above 1800 dpi will not improve accuracy at any level, as most of the counts will be thrown away, so do not base your purchase on the DPI stat

Well, later (for real)

Vile
Aug 28, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I went from long time mx518 user to a G9x and I love it. Very nice mouse

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
Well bought a left handed Deathadder and it is the first time I have ever used a non ambidextrous mouse. It takes much more adjustment than I thought it would. Due to the slope and curvature, I had to swap the click/menu buttons around for the first time ever because it was absolutely wrecking my wrist. I'm still trying to get used to this and frequently open drop down menus instead of double clicking etc.

The sidebuttons are finally reachable and comfortable to press but whats the deal with the glossy plastic sides? The surface is a magnet for smudges, finger prints, oil, dust and lint. The rubberized coating I'm familiar with from using a Pro Click (like a Diamondback) except now theres alot more of it. I never did work out how to clean it properly without destroying that coating in the long term.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

WanderingKid posted:

Well bought a left handed Deathadder and it is the first time I have ever used a non ambidextrous mouse. It takes much more adjustment than I thought it would. Due to the slope and curvature, I had to swap the click/menu buttons around for the first time ever because it was absolutely wrecking my wrist. I'm still trying to get used to this and frequently open drop down menus instead of double clicking etc.

The sidebuttons are finally reachable and comfortable to press but whats the deal with the glossy plastic sides? The surface is a magnet for smudges, finger prints, oil, dust and lint. The rubberized coating I'm familiar with from using a Pro Click (like a Diamondback) except now theres alot more of it. I never did work out how to clean it properly without destroying that coating in the long term.

I have this problem on most of my mice. Hope someone figures out how to make a mouse coating that doesn't collect random particles or smudge, but 'till then I feel like the deathadder stays a bit cleaner than my mx518 did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
Ahhh, I thought it was just a Razer thing. Right now I use a drop of water and a microfiber cloth although I did that on my Pro Click and after a couple of years the rubberized coating sort of...hardened and it started to scratch off really easily. It looks like a raggedy mess now.

Other than that Deathadder seems really different to the old Razer mice - the old ones are really small and low profile whereas the arch on this thing is huge and its very wide.

edit: still getting the mouse buttons the wrong way around when clicking 'submit reply' Gah!