Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rghayati
Dec 29, 2007

Oh gently caress, the wheat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneMinusOne
Apr 3, 2009

There is no magic beyond truth.

Eiba posted:

Interesting historical trivia/spoiler: Thorfinn's son is the first recorded person of European decent to be born in the Americas.

That Wikipedia article is interesting.

edit: Einar is a name that comes up; even so, still betting on his death

OneMinusOne fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Nov 6, 2010

Emo Rodeo
Dec 28, 2006

This is one mystic quest
Whats this? Oh it's just the latest installment of Farms and Fields:

http://mangastream.com/read/vinland_saga/92780160/1

Oh yes, oh gently caress yes. Violence returns to one of the best series ever

Emo Rodeo fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Dec 1, 2010

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Emo Rodeo posted:

YESSSSSS.

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010

Emo Rodeo posted:

Goddamn loving fantastic

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

"Oh no! Every man of action's secret weakness: he gets brained with...a shovel!"

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
"Revenge will bring nothing good." What a bunch of bull! Just look at what happened when they took revenge out. The comic became a bigger bore then watching some one playing The Sims. Now that revenge is back though shits getting good again. Yay for revenge!

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Volume posted:

"Revenge will bring nothing good." What a bunch of bull! Just look at what happened when they took revenge out. The comic became a bigger bore then watching some one playing The Sims. Now that revenge is back though shits getting good again. Yay for revenge!
Do you have the slightest inkling of why that punch was so satisfying to everyone else? Do you even begin to get what's going on in this manga at all?

For months and months we've been following the pitiful lives of two slaves, who've been working their hardest on a field of wheat. And we've been there, every painful difficult step of the way, we've been seeing what exactly they have to go through, how they have to sweat to grow their little plot of grain.

If you just hated all that, how are you even mad right now? Are you even mad, or do you just like seeing people punch each other?

This manga isn't, and no matter what you thought never was, about people punching each other. It's Vinland Saga, not Violence Saga. Ultimately it was always going to be about settling new lands, and that's why we're getting to know the Old World so well, both through war, and through slavery.

Of course you're free to enjoy whatever you want, but it's frustrating to see someone completely unable to appreciate what this manga does best.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Of course it's not about people punching people, it's about people punching horses

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Eiba posted:

Do you have the slightest inkling of why that punch was so satisfying to everyone else? Do you even begin to get what's going on in this manga at all?

For months and months we've been following the pitiful lives of two slaves, who've been working their hardest on a field of wheat. And we've been there, every painful difficult step of the way, we've been seeing what exactly they have to go through, how they have to sweat to grow their little plot of grain.

If you just hated all that, how are you even mad right now? Are you even mad, or do you just like seeing people punch each other?

This manga isn't, and no matter what you thought never was, about people punching each other. It's Vinland Saga, not Violence Saga. Ultimately it was always going to be about settling new lands, and that's why we're getting to know the Old World so well, both through war, and through slavery.

Of course you're free to enjoy whatever you want, but it's frustrating to see someone completely unable to appreciate what this manga does best.

I have to echo this sentiment. This manga was always about the slow burn, the build-up, the payoff. Punching horses was just a side benefit.

That said, how can anyone take "Revenge will bring nothing good" as anything but one of the best realizations of character development since Canute?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
The facial expressions in this chapter were amazing, I even saw a little hint of askeladd's face in thorfinn's angry expression near the end there.

Emo Rodeo
Dec 28, 2006

This is one mystic quest

Volume posted:

I guess... GB2Shonen?

I mean, if anything, any perceived boredom in this series is mostly due to the fact that it comes out every once is a while, not every week. It actually kind of works with the setting and pace of the manga too, they are farmers, they have been farming for a long time now. At this point, Thorfinn has such a unique character development that I don't really know what I want for the guy. The dude never really grew up and although he sometimes appears mature, he's just a helpless piece of driftwood with way too many conflicting emotions.

He is so obviously able to still tear people apart, but he just doesn't want to. I mainly got jacked up about the punch because Thorfinn is a beast and the art is awesome, but I also like the direction of the series and can't really see Thorfinn reverting entirely back into a warrior. I will admit however, that if and when Thorfinn does become a warrior again, it will be awesome. Not because the series is boring and needs more violence, but because Thorfinn is awesome. Also, gently caress those servants

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
I've been playing harvest moon and if someone ruined my entire field of cucumber I would be so angry so I guess I can relate to this chapter

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
PAGE TWENTY-FIVE IS AMAZING. This chapter made the buildup so extremely worth it.

I love this manga so much, any chance of it getting ported to the US so I can own a hard copy?

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Kingtheninja posted:

The facial expressions in this chapter were amazing, I even saw a little hint of askeladd's face in thorfinn's angry expression near the end there.

As much as I don't like this being a monthly manga, the art is ALWAYS so good that I feel it's worth the wait. The faces have always been amazing, and I love it.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
So is this falling metaphor exactly that? A metaphor? Or is it just a literal premonition of sorts? I haven't read Planetes so I'm not too sure if Yukimura would opt for the latter in this kind of situation. My hunch is that Thorfinn has to learn to release those "calm" restraints at moments like this (where a situation escalates beyond his control); surely he wouldn't have been hit from behind if he wasn't concerned over the guy he just knocked out and the ensuing fight. Thorfinn's "battle awareness"...so-to-speak (even I'm rolling my eyes over that term) suddenly disappears. I don't think that's a good thing.

He should've at least played a more effective diplomat, y'know, rather than just half-assedly telling Einar to "stop". Granted he's obviously matured/developped -- as said above -- but the reference to the crevice in Chapter 68 has me thinking he has learn something more important than pacifism.

MoaM fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 1, 2010

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006

MoaM posted:

So is this falling metaphor exactly that? A metaphor? Or is it just a literal premonition of sorts?

I took it at face value and assumed the servants tossed Thorfinn (and presumably Einar) into a ravine after knocking them unconscious. What better way to get rid of annoyances than in "self defense"?.

I think this chapter put and end to any dreams of a return to horse-punching in the future. Thorfinn's brief outburst, followed by the "Uh, whoops!" expression and the following events, especially the vision of his father, seems to symbolize that the violent approach isn't going to work anymore and that Thorfinn's going to spend the rest of the series reaching that same "powered by conviction / clear eyes" state his father existed in.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

ToiletDuckie posted:

I think this chapter put and end to any dreams of a return to horse-punching in the future. Thorfinn's brief outburst, followed by the "Uh, whoops!" expression and the following events, especially the vision of his father, seems to symbolize that the violent approach isn't going to work anymore and that Thorfinn's going to spend the rest of the series reaching that same "powered by conviction / clear eyes" state his father existed in.

That awesome image then followed by that face was great. Just badass then comedy.

drat eager for next chapter.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

MoaM posted:

He should've at least played a more effective diplomat, y'know, rather than just half-assedly telling Einar to "stop". Granted he's obviously matured/developped -- as said above -- but the reference to the crevice in Chapter 68 has me thinking he has learn something more important than pacifism.

I think the vision of his father is the key to the lesson. Remember that his father became a peaceful man, but when needed he was fully prepared to go sickhouse on some bitches. Thorffin is learning the balance between his past of violence and his recent phase of passiveness.

Out of curiosity, who was the woman he saw? I know I should know her, but I can't remember for some reason.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I said "oh no" out loud when Einar was about to punch the guy, then I was like "oh poo poo" when I saw Thorfinn do it. They gonna get in trouble :(

Robo Pope
Jul 17, 2004

I AM THE POPE, DO AS I SAY.

Gyges posted:

Out of curiosity, who was the woman he saw? I know I should know her, but I can't remember for some reason.

I think that was the woman in England who took him in for awhile and cared for him before he led the vikings to her village so they could sack it.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

It doesn't have it's own thread, so I'm going to post the new chapter of Historie here, and suffer through people coming in to post "i thought there was more farming :smith:"

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

It doesn't have it's own thread, so I'm going to post the new chapter of Historie here, and suffer through people coming in to post "i thought there was more farming :smith:"
Well I'm happy at least. Historie has been in its own rather... slow digression about Hephaestion (which I didn't much like), and it looks like it's at least getting back to school life at Mieza, and it might even return focus to Eumenes now!

I really loved that manga before it was months of reaction shots of Alexander without text.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

Eiba posted:

I really loved that manga before it was months of reaction shots of Alexander without text.
Berserk effect

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Doc Hawkins posted:

I thought there was more revenge :smith:

Puukko naamassa
Mar 25, 2010

Oh No! Bruno!
Lipstick Apathy

Eiba posted:

My favorite part were the 8 or so pages/panels of a snake eating a decapitated head :barf:

Hopefully it will get back to Eumenes for a while now.

Burning Sensation
Sep 2, 2006

Apropos of nothing.
New chapter is up.

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Well that was the best thing loving ever.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I don't get how Einar, who is an English slave, has a Norse name. Who is he supposed to be based off of historically?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I don't like hyperbole, but that was probably the best chapter subtitle in ALL OF RECORDED HISTORY

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Doc Hawkins posted:

I don't like hyperbole, but that was probably the best chapter subtitle in ALL OF RECORDED HISTORY

Yeah, the chapter subtitle (and the first two pages) had me laughing for a good five minutes.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

YouTuber posted:

I don't get how Einar, who is an English slave, has a Norse name. Who is he supposed to be based off of historically?

I don't know if Einar's supposed to be based on anyone, but using the historical characters as reference the manga takes place after 1000AD, while significant norse presence in England through the Danelaw started with the capture of Northumbria at 867 AD (thanks wikipedia!), whose borders continuously expanded and contracted over the years. After 130+ years I'd assume there were quite a few british families with norse descendance but not under the rule of the danish king.

Anyway the chapter was really good!

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm glad to see revenge is still keeping this story going strong.
Yay violence!

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone want to attempt to figure out what his dream means?

It's obviously regrets over his past. It appears to be mainly centered around his regrets over all the killing he's done. Glimpses of the old English woman, and his father and and all the skeletons of the people he's put into the dirt pretty easily conclude that. Though I'd suspect this is going to be a revelation of some sorts. All of the Roman pillars call back to Askeladd's speech of the world slowly dying. I'd suspect Thorfinn is going to conclude that the path the Danes and his past life are whats killing the world and attempt to build something for the first time in his life.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I agree that is possibly where it's going, but let's not forget the nature of the enlightenments we've seen thus far: we've seen it result in both ultra pacifism (Thorfinn's dad), but also an acceptance that if one really needs to change the world, war IS necessary (Canute). So it's hard to tell where it will go.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

It will go to Vinland, duh! :v:

L.E. Cheetah
Aug 7, 2007

Zorak posted:

I agree that is possibly where it's going, but let's not forget the nature of the enlightenments we've seen thus far: we've seen it result in both ultra pacifism (Thorfinn's dad), but also an acceptance that if one really needs to change the world, war IS necessary (Canute). So it's hard to tell where it will go.

Given how horrifying Thorfinn's version of Valhalla is I think it'll be the former.

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Thorfinn converts to Christianity and joins a monastery. He and Einar spend the rest of their lives doing housechores and observing vows of silence.

The Manga lasts 500 chapters.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rakugoon posted:

Thorfinn converts to Christianity and joins a monastery. He and Einar spend the rest of their lives doing housechores and observing vows of silence.

The Manga lasts 500 chapters.

Given the way Farmville Saga has turned out, I'd read every chapter of Monastery Saga with relish and anticipation. It'd be the best slice of life manga set in a religious institution ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sled
May 20, 2004

Musashi not only wields a sword but also a pair of pistols.
Thank god it was all a dream. Only going a few pages into that chapter would be the ultimate troll.