Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

change my name posted:

What's the best way to get a free acoustic guitar? I really want to learn how to play but I have absolutely no room in my budget.

If you live around the GTA in Ontario, I'll give you one of mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Lower new york but thanks anyway for the offer.

Mr_Angry
May 15, 2003
A severe disappointment
College Slice
I'm looking to purchase some wine and steaks for Christmas gifts for my girlfriend's parents in Canada and the problem is all the online websites I know of only ship to US addresses. Anyone have any good recommendations of online merchants that would be able to deliver wine and nice steaks to Canadian addresses? I can use many forms of payment, I just need a merchant that'll actually ship to Canada. Thanks.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Would it be possible that I take you up on this offer? :]

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Travakian posted:

Would it be possible that I take you up on this offer? :]

Heh, literally 10 min too late. Someone emailed me for it.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

change my name posted:

What's the best way to get a free acoustic guitar? I really want to learn how to play but I have absolutely no room in my budget.

I know you said acoustic but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMYxl3yjTww

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

If I bring my own travel mug and my own tea (usually loose in a teaball), is it a dick move to ask a coffee shop for hot water and use a dash of their milk to finish it off? I assume no if I'm buying other things, but sometimes I feel like a jerk if I'm not buying anything. OTOH, my tea is better and I don't want to pay to drink crap. :ohdear:

Someone mentioned this already but yes, absolutely bringing your own food and drink to a place of business is a complete and total dick move.

1. Their health certificate can be pulled if eating and drinking utensils have not been washed according to commercial standards (And yes this is a very strict part of a health inspection, they put themometers through the machine to verify the temp, and if it is not correct, the place is liable for immediate shutdown. For good reasons.) Your mug has not been sterilized.

2. Plus the whole this is a business not a park thing. Bringing your teabag is borderline, but seriously, they are paying bills to keep the place open. Pay them, or don't use their space. Pay for hot tea and secretly swap in your bag/ball. Why not petition them to carry your brand?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Cat Machine posted:

I asked Rain (the Korean pop star) if he could send my girlfriend an autograph and this was his reply. :shobon:

기간지

What does it mean? I tried Google Translate/Babelfish etc., but it just seems to mean 'for the duration' or 'during this period', which doesn't make much sense.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3197163

That Korean language thread may be of use.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

nm

kapalama fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Nov 30, 2010

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
What's a decent free program that can edit MP4 files?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

kapalama posted:

Someone mentioned this already but yes, absolutely bringing your own food and drink to a place of business is a complete and total dick move.

1. Their health certificate can be pulled if eating and drinking utensils have not been washed according to commercial standards (And yes this is a very strict part of a health inspection, they put themometers through the machine to verify the temp, and if it is not correct, the place is liable for immediate shutdown. For good reasons.) Your mug has not been sterilized.

2. Plus the whole this is a business not a park thing. Bringing your teabag is borderline, but seriously, they are paying bills to keep the place open. Pay them, or don't use their space. Pay for hot tea and secretly swap in your bag/ball. Why not petition them to carry your brand?

Thank you for giving me actual reasons. I've never gotten a negative response on it (actually last time the guy was really impressed that I had loose tea and talked to me about a trip he took to England once), but I don't like to be rude. This is generally in food court type college cafes, btw; I'm not walking into free-standing coffee shops and doing that. Good to know-- I'll just pay for hot tea in the future.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Thank you for giving me actual reasons. I've never gotten a negative response on it (actually last time the guy was really impressed that I had loose tea and talked to me about a trip he took to England once), but I don't like to be rude. This is generally in food court type college cafes, btw; I'm not walking into free-standing coffee shops and doing that. Good to know-- I'll just pay for hot tea in the future.

Goons are fuckin' weird and I would have no problem either asking for, or giving hot water. The health inspector is not going to jump out of a potted plant and shut down the Starbucks because you're drinking out of your own cup, that's just absurd. The fraction of a penny that a cup of hot water costs isn't going to put them out of business either. Buy one of their overpriced muffins once a month if you still feel bad about it.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Goons are fuckin' weird and I would have no problem either asking for, or giving hot water. The health inspector is not going to jump out of a potted plant and shut down the Starbucks because you're drinking out of your own cup, that's just absurd. The fraction of a penny that a cup of hot water costs isn't going to put them out of business either. Buy one of their overpriced muffins once a month if you still feel bad about it.

"Being polite? How loving weird!" I love how to goons like you the only way not to be "weird" is to be an obtuse, selfish rear end in a top hat one hundred percent of the time. Anything less just wouldn't be logical, beep boop.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

kapalama posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3197163

That Korean language thread may be of use.
Thanks man!

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

BlueBayou posted:

Is there a good website for soccer data/statistics?

I know there is a wealth of information for baseball (sabermetrics) but how about for soccer?

What I am specifically looking for is info on penalty kicks - really detailed info like foot used, type of shot, which way the keep dove, colors of jerseys etc etc.

I am in grad school and want to do a categorical data analysis project on soccer penalties.

Not sure if there is a better thread for this in TRP... but figured I'd ask here first.

I am reasonably sure I haven't seen this data online anywhere, but it has been the subject of any number of papers, so I suggest googling some of those papers (eg) and contacting the authors.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Slashie posted:

"Being polite? How loving weird!" I love how to goons like you the only way not to be "weird" is to be an obtuse, selfish rear end in a top hat one hundred percent of the time. Anything less just wouldn't be logical, beep boop.
God forbid a filthy member of the public ask you to provide a practically free commodity without charge. How rude!

I have never worked anywhere that wouldn't gladly give out things like water or ice for free. It's good business to be nice to people and a cup of water costs a lot less than bad word of mouth.

(PS. That valuable valuable water is the same water they'll mop the floor with at closing)

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

Slashie posted:

Let me get this straight.. You think that asking for hot water and some milk at a college food court makes you an obtuse, selfish rear end in a top hat?

I mean, at the most I can see someone saying: "Jeeze, that guy's annoying."

but generally people who start hurling insults about people's character for something so minuscule are the ones who tend to be the assholes.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Jeffrey Colon posted:

Let me get this straight.. You think that asking for hot water and some milk at a college food court makes you an obtuse, selfish rear end in a top hat?

I mean, at the most I can see someone saying: "Jeeze, that guy's annoying."

but generally people who start hurling insults about people's character for something so minuscule are the ones who tend to be the assholes.

No, of course not, I'm expanding to talk about the general attitude of goons like Rent-A-Cop, who get all snorty if anyone even mentions that politeness might be a thing someone would care about. It's not the end of the world to drink your own tea in a coffee shop, but it's not "weird" to understand that it's rude either. It's Rent-A-Cop's "Manners? Why I never!" that I think is obtuse and selfish.

revolther
May 27, 2008

kapalama posted:

Pay them, or don't use their space. Pay for hot tea and secretly swap in your bag/ball. Why not petition them to carry your brand?
gently caress that noise, bring your own tea bag, and cup, ask for their milk/honey/whatever. It's not rude or douchey in a place where being completely rude and douchey is the native tongue. Coffee shops want the atmosphere of douchebags hanging around, who else are baristas gonna snidely berate back there to feel superior?

Tip the help well, always be polite and grateful, but don't waste money if you don't have to. If the employee is into hot drinks in a capacity more than just a job, they will take notice and appreciate the (non-homeless)guy who just wants some hot water for his good cup of tea.

If you order nothing but drop 50 cents in a tip cup, you are statistically likely to be contributing more to the workers earnings than both their employer or customer base for their labor/time/effort.

P.S. I wouldn't really ask for milk/sugar/etc, that's a little too substantial for my grifting conscience.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

kapalama posted:

This doesn't hold much merit. There are a lot of coffee shops that encourage people to bring their own mugs. Some even offer a (tiny) discount for it.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Is it okay to wear a black shirt with black pants (and appropriate tie) in a business setting? I'm trying on some new shirts I got and it seems a bit dark or too at-your-service.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

What type of business setting?

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Dudebro posted:

Is it okay to wear a black shirt with black pants (and appropriate tie) in a business setting? I'm trying on some new shirts I got and it seems a bit dark or too at-your-service.

I work in a shirt and tie office, and I wear black-on-black shirt and slacks from time to time. It's completely fine. Apart from the few sparse Johnny Cash jokes, I don't see a problem with it.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Dudebro posted:

What's the cut of the shirt? Do you have any gray pants? What about a gray tie? Basically you might do well to break up the black a little, but annoyingly adding a bright color might make you look even more like a waiter. But generally if your clothes are slim-cut and ironed you'll look more like a Guy Wearing Black than "Hi I'm Dudebro and I'll be your server tonight."

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
It would be black pants and the ties are black+silver patterned so they do break it up a bit. I don't think it's trying too hard to add brightness as far as the ties go. It's a business setting involving lawyers and litigation (not a law office though). The shirts and ties were recommended by an experienced gentleman at a men's clothing store and the rest of the stuff that I bought I like.

Nothing has been ironed so I guess it doesn't look ideal yet.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Dudebro posted:

It would be black pants and the ties are black+silver patterned so they do break it up a bit. I don't think it's trying too hard to add brightness as far as the ties go. It's a business setting involving lawyers and litigation (not a law office though). The shirts and ties were recommended by an experienced gentleman at a men's clothing store and the rest of the stuff that I bought I like.

I'm sure it's fine. :)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dudebro posted:

It would probably be pretty weird if oyu onl wore all black every day, but if you switch it up every few days with some non-black attire it is fine.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Yeah - matter of personal style/preference. Personally, I wouldn't wear it but back in business school, some kid I knew used to wear it all the time and no one batted an eye.

mambo italiano
Apr 4, 2009
IS THIS A SCAM?

My parents were invited to a dinner by a friend. The dinner was 4 course meal and there was no menu, the waitress just showed up with the same dinner for everyone, and it cost $25.00 each.

the sketch part is that at dinner. My parents made friends with these people who claim that they own property in rich areas like Pioneer Sq. in Seattle. The couple claimed that they are headed to Italy for six months and they want us to watch their dog. in those six months. Our Family has unlimited access to their apartment in Seattle.

My parents make about $60.000 a year and are still paying off their home. There is no way people are this generous.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
It sounds like they just wanted free dog sitters, and liked your parents enough that they felt they could trust them. This was a private dinner? So these people were friends of your parents friends? I'm not sure where the scam potential lies.

A fixed-course dinner with a flat fee isn't that unusual, but it's usually tied to some sort of event, or someone paid for a private room at a nice restaurant where the chef picks the menu. There are buffet style places with flat prices too, and I've eaten at nice Brazilian steak houses that have flat fees for all the meat you can eat. The situation sounds like a time-share pitch meeting, but at no point did you mention any investment required on your parents part.

Are your parents already located in the Seattle area?

Elijya fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Dec 1, 2010

mambo italiano
Apr 4, 2009

Elijya posted:

It sounds like they just wanted free dog sitters, and liked your parents enough that they felt they could trust them. This was a private dinner? So these people were friends of your parents friends? I'm not sure where the scam potential lies.

A fixed-course dinner with a flat fee isn't that unusual, but it's usually tied to some sort of event. The situation sounds like a time-share, but at no point did you mention any investment required on your parents part. On the other hand, their are buffet style places with flat prices too, and I've eaten at nice Brazilian steak houses that have flat fees for all the meat you can eat.

Are your parents already located in the Seattle area?

I've eaten there before. Its an Italian restaurant. Ill ask them tomorrow about any pitches.

pooface
May 20, 2004
HMMM!!!
I'm considering dropping out of my masters program (first semester) even though its well beyond the drop date. Could this somehow effect me even if I never go back to that school? Would other schools or businesses etc somehow be able to see that I got an F? I don't see how I'd ever need the transcripts from the school.

SynthesizerKaiser
Jan 28, 2009
BOOSTER JUICE
I'm having difficulty imagining myself as a success in the business programs at either UBC or McGill due to the competitive nature of the classwork. The story I've heard is that the super crazy smart straight A+ asian kids from my highschool are average students there (the Sauder school of business, specifically: I don't know much about McGill). Would an economics degree program be, uh, less competitive? I like money but drat.

Also I thought there was a "Help choosing your major" thread in A/T somewhere.

(edit: yes I would want to go past an undergrad degree in economics)

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

pooface posted:

I'm considering dropping out of my masters program (first semester) even though its well beyond the drop date. Could this somehow effect me even if I never go back to that school? Would other schools or businesses etc somehow be able to see that I got an F? I don't see how I'd ever need the transcripts from the school.

If you ever plan on going back to any school at all and getting your masters (or any other degree) then yes, it will matter.

Any school you ever apply to, including loving community colleges will ask for transcripts from any school you've attended. Even some businesses will go so far as to check college transcripts if you have no real-world business experience and are applying for a position.

Now, realistically, is it going to matter? Probably not, as long as you have a good reason/explanation as to why you chose to do this.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

pooface posted:

Just make sure you actually withdraw and don't stop going. A "W" looks a lot better than an "F", especially if you accompany it with some bullshit excuse like "I got cancer" or "My parents both died and I had to look after my four younger siblings".

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Just make sure you actually withdraw and don't stop going. A "W" looks a lot better than an "F", especially if you accompany it with some bullshit excuse like "I got cancer" or "My parents both died and I had to look after my four younger siblings".

Couple this with academic forgiveness (ask your chair, advisor, or dean about this) and you're pretty much off the hook. I got an entire semester of W and F grades wiped away when I started school again because I was, and these are my words to them when asking for academic forgiveness, "undisciplined and inexperienced" when I first started college. If you've got a silver tongue, you can worm anything.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

pooface posted:

For more advice, go to these two threads targeted at grad students:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3325180
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3364373

It's the end of your first semester. I too have been dwelling on quitting the program lately because I find the pressure overwhelming. According to what I've been hearing, it's normal and things generally do pick up once you get a sense of direction (which rarely happens in the first semester, especially if you're in the sciences).

Serious Sam
Feb 15, 2008

Never underestimate the power of stupid things in large numbers!
-

Serious Sam fucked around with this message at 08:29 on May 15, 2011

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Killbox posted:

How awesome was JFK? What were the downsides with him, were there any? Because everywhere i read and look, he really is presented as one of the greatest among presidents in USA.

Various scholarly polls over the years have consistently put him in the top 15, but only infrequently in the top 10. So qualifying as "one of the greatest" really depends on how large you are willing to make that group. It is worth noting that Kennedy enjoyed the highest average approval rating of any president in modern history, so he was extremely popular. Add to that his untimely death, and it guarantees him a certain stature in our collective memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Killbox posted:

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/11/the_presidency_of_jfk_50_years.html

How awesome was JFK? What were the downsides with him, were there any? Because everywhere i read and look, he really is presented as one of the greatest among presidents in USA.

Well he was a total drug addict (starting due to a chronic illness he had but the man was on straight up meth and other drugs throughout a lot of his presidency) and notoriously prone to sleeping around with a lot of women.