Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reborn
Feb 21, 2007

Powercrazy posted:

That sucks and is not best practice config. Unless you have a need for spoke to spoke communication then you just need to have a a single tunnel going to each remote site from your hub. The tunnel addresses should be p2p /30's and the sites should each be on their own network. So say site 1 would be 10.1.0.0/16 site 2 would be 10.2.0.0/16 etc. and all your tunnel /30 addresses would be in 10.0.x.x/16. I can post a config of how we do it if you'd like.

If you do need spoke to spoke communication then look up DMVPN. Its much more scalable and adding new sites requires zero new hub configuration, I've got some configs for that as well.

I haven't played a lot with DMVPN, mostly GETVPN for MPLS setups where encryption is required. How does it hold up? I hadn't realized you don't need to configure the hub in any special way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

reborn posted:

I haven't played a lot with DMVPN, mostly GETVPN for MPLS setups where encryption is required. How does it hold up? I hadn't realized you don't need to configure the hub in any special way.

You need to configure the hub initially as the NHRP Server and setup point-to-multipoint tunnels etc, but once it is configured then adding a new site is easy.

code:
interface Tunnel0
 Description Hub Site tunnel, notice no tunnel destination
 ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0
 no ip redirects
 ip mtu 1514
 no ip next-hop-self eigrp 123
 ip nhrp map multicast dynamic
 ip nhrp network-id 123
 ip nhrp interest 101
 no ip split-horizon eigrp 123
 ip summary-address eigrp 123 10.1.0.0 255.255.252.0 5
 cdp enable
 tunnel source GigabitEthernet0/1
 tunnel mode gre multipoint
 tunnel protection ipsec profile DMVPN

interface Tunnel0
 Description spoke site tunnel, the nhrp map is what gives it's destination address
 bandwidth 1400
 ip address 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0
 no ip redirects
 no ip next-hop-self eigrp 123
 ip nhrp map multicast 20.1.1.1
 ip nhrp map 192.168.1.1 20.1.1.1
 ip nhrp network-id 123
 ip nhrp interest 101
 ip nhrp nhs 192.168.1.1
 ip summary-address eigrp 123 10.2.0.0 255.255.252.0 5
 cdp enable
 tunnel source Serial0/0/0
 tunnel mode gre multipoint
 tunnel protection ipsec profile DMVPN

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

para posted:

We have 8 sites connected using T1's to an MPLS cloud provided by AT&T. Each of our site's CE routers BGP peer with AT&T. Then each of the 8 routers have 7 tunnels addressed in the same /24 subnet that go to each of the other 7 routers, and EIGRP runs over the tunnels to provide our internal routing. All communication between sites go through these tunnels.

Is this a normal configuration? It just seems like it would be a hassle to add a new site because that would require creating a new tunnel on every other router on the WAN.

DMVPN would be easier. That's what I'd recommend.

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

jwh posted:

DMVPN would be easier. That's what I'd recommend.

+1 for DMVPN which is awesome.

Badgerpoo
Oct 12, 2010
Anyone had any experience with deploying dot1x?

I'm running a dev FreeRadius server and have some spare switches of various types in a lab arrangement (3550, 2960, 2950, HP 2626, Brocade FCX). I want to be able to assign end devices vlans based on either a login or by it's mac address. The non logged in assignment would be for printers, and for PCs that are booted but not logged in but need access to updates etc.

I have already got the server talking to the Active Directory to authenticate users. Next is getting the swtiches and clients working.

Any tips?

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Be very, very mindful about the version of code you're running on your switch(es). Cisco changed things around dramatically, several times, with respect to 802.1x. It's still possible to find configuration guides that seem relevant, only to learn they've been superseded several times over by entirely new ways of doing things.

I've had success with the default XP supplicant, but it was pretty wonky. We ended up putting our deployment on hold until after our client base was migrated to Windows 7, simply because the stock supplicant is so much better.

Anyway, you need to return the following attributes:

[064] Tunnel-Type = VLAN
[065] Tunnel-Medium-Type = 802
[081] Tunnel-Private-Group-ID = VLANNAME

Then, just have a VLAN with that textual name on your switch.

Bardlebee
Feb 24, 2009

Im Blind.
Kind of an ambigious question here:

I have a company with five sites, four of the those sites use the same ISP.

Each site uses a different set of Unique global IP addresses, for which we only use one out of the set, so the distribution would look like this:

Site 1 IP's: 216.201.140.111 to 216.201.140.116
Site 2 IP's: 216.201.142.222 to 216.201.142.228
Site 3 IP's: 209.206.174.333 to 209.206.174.339
Site 4 IP's: 209.206.174.444 to 209.206.174.450

Obviously these are not the real numbers and aren't even in correct subnetting math. Keep in mind this is a question coming from someone that is particularly new to WAN networking.

Here is my thought. Couldn't I just take the IP set that my ISP gave me for Site 1 and use the excess IP's as my other sites? For all sites I am using NAT Overload, so I don't need the other IP's.

Does this even make sense?

So instead of:

192.168.2.0---SITE1 ROUTER ----216.201.140.111------------IPSEC-------------209.206.174.333---- SITE 2 ROUTER ---192.168.11.0

It would look like this:

192.168.2.0---SITE1 ROUTER ----216.201.140.111--------------IPSEC-----------216.201.140.112---- SITE 2 ROUTER ---192.168.11.0

Goal here is to save bills on not having multiple IP batches and just having one for all our locations. Again, this is probably impossible if not stupid.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Sure it's possible, but your ISP will have to make the change- they're delegating the address space to you. You don't have the ability to influence it.

They're probably giving you a /29 per site, and saying, 'have fun, bye.'

You need to ask them what the smallest allocating is per-site that you can receive. Start there.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
^^^^
This, and how much money do you realistically think you are going to save by using less ip space?

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

inignot posted:

^^^^
This, and how much money do you realistically think you are going to save by using less ip space?

That and if they are already giving you the IPs I wouldn't give them back willingly....It'd be good to assume you'll have future expansion that might need those IPs. It is easier to have them than to have to go back and do a request for more IPs with justification and shown immediate 90% usage, etc, bla bla bla..

Bardlebee
Feb 24, 2009

Im Blind.

inignot posted:

^^^^

Well apparently none. I called the ISP and they said there would be zero price difference. I am still new to this so I didn't realize that there wouldn't be much of a cost savings.

I am there first and only IT guy so I try and find new and innovative ways to save them money and to wow them. Also Virigoth has an excellent point, even though each site has more IP's then we will ever need, it is nice to have just in case. Though I seriously doubt these people will ever use them.

I mean... the doctors still use taper recorders to dictate. That's what I am working with here, technological phobias, the lot of them.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Now it's time for a "gently caress the competition" post

HP has the absolute best practice ever in regards to their software releases; if you are running old code, and have to upgrade, occasionally you won't be able to upgrade straight to the latest version. No biggie.

Except they don't keep the old versions available on their sight. Brilliant, guys, well done.

workape
Jul 23, 2002

abigserve posted:

Now it's time for a "gently caress the competition" post

HP has the absolute best practice ever in regards to their software releases; if you are running old code, and have to upgrade, occasionally you won't be able to upgrade straight to the latest version. No biggie.

Except they don't keep the old versions available on their sight. Brilliant, guys, well done.

What's even better is when you call for support and they require you to upgrade before they begin support and yet don't have those intermediary software upgrades still on their site. Excellent support model!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Don't use HP. Foundry/Extreme/Brocade for the cheaper end of the scale, and then Juniper or Cisco for the high end. Anything else probably isn't enterprise stuff anyway, especially HP.

workape
Jul 23, 2002

Powercrazy posted:

Don't use HP. Foundry/Extreme/Brocade for the cheaper end of the scale, and then Juniper or Cisco for the high end. Anything else probably isn't enterprise stuff anyway, especially HP.

Seriously, don't buy into the glitzy marketing they are doing now. Their support sucks, their field techs for the most part are worthless and while I am not certain that they have a group of drooling mongoloids writing their software, I do know that it has poo poo for features and options.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

I haven't used Foundry / Brocade lately, but I liked them back when they were making the original ServerIrons. How are they now?

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
My experience with Foundry/Brocade gear has been frustrating due to the lack of uniformity on the CLI (IE platform dependent ways to configure L3 vlan interfaces etc). I found the documentation to be lacking as well.

Also their internet edge router (CER2024) doesn't support full tables out of the box. Requires some TCAM slicing ala SDM profiles.

There was a thread on NANOG about some service provider's foundry infrastructure making GBS threads the bed with regard to MPLS LSP issues.

That said, the price per port is hard to beat. Prior to the ME3600/3800 the CER2024 absolutely killed anything Cisco could offer in the same form factor with feature set.

Overall the pick two seems to be fast and cheap.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

One of our transit providers had some serious BGP bugs on their NetIron that would periodically cause it to suffocate BGP neighbors until recycled, but that was about two years-ago. I'm figuring they've probably fixed that by now (I hope).

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

tortilla_chip posted:

That said, the price per port is hard to beat. Prior to the ME3600/3800 the CER2024 absolutely killed anything Cisco could offer in the same form factor with feature set.

Downside is those cheap ports can kill your whole box when they go bad, one of my customers had a bad 10GbE card, took down the whole MLX it was in (and not hard down, just dropping >90% of all traffic on the box).

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

jwh posted:

I haven't used Foundry / Brocade lately, but I liked them back when they were making the original ServerIrons. How are they now?

The version of code I'm using is identical to Cisco as far as most CLI commands and formatting goes. They do their vlans differently (tagged and untagged) but its really not too bad.

I've been responsible for this deployment for about 6 months now and I've only had one problem with a 10G optic going bad and causing their VSTP switching protocol to flap. No traffic lost though, so I can't really fault them. We will be replacing the lease soon since we are a 90% Cisco shop.

We have 2 Big Iron RX-16s with several FGS648P switches for Access, and 4 XMRs getting full BGP tables as well as 4 Server Irons for Global Load balancing / Firewalling. Haven't seen any crazy issues although one of our edge XMRs I can't reliably log into though the box stays up. So overall I'd say Fast and Cheap, but not super reliable.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
I have 6 MLXs currently (XMR with less memory). So far they have been rock solid in my network, they are acting as core/edge routers. All of my L2 is Extreme gear which has also been rock solid for me.

My #1 reason for loving the MLX/XMR is that it uses a stupidly low amount of power compared to the 6509s they replaced. Since I have them in MMR space with my telco gear that's pretty important to me.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Powercrazy posted:

The version of code I'm using is identical to Cisco as far as most CLI commands and formatting goes. They do their vlans differently (tagged and untagged) but its really not too bad.

I've been responsible for this deployment for about 6 months now and I've only had one problem with a 10G optic going bad and causing their VSTP switching protocol to flap. No traffic lost though, so I can't really fault them. We will be replacing the lease soon since we are a 90% Cisco shop.

We have 2 Big Iron RX-16s with several FGS648P switches for Access, and 4 XMRs getting full BGP tables as well as 4 Server Irons for Global Load balancing / Firewalling. Haven't seen any crazy issues although one of our edge XMRs I can't reliably log into though the box stays up. So overall I'd say Fast and Cheap, but not super reliable.

Be careful, Brocade used to default to a prestandard version of PVST. Found this out the hard way :(.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
I'm curious what methodology people use to filter/announce outbound routes to eBGP peers. Our systems still use some legacy methods of as-path access lists combined with prefix lists that are generally a pain in the rear end to maintain.

I'd like to switch to something that's based on only iBGP communities only if possible. This seems like a good basis but seems almost too easy:

* http://puck.nether.net/bgp/cisco-config.html
* http://puck.nether.net/bgp/juniper-config.html

Thoughts or caveats to the above that aren't immediately apparent?

Grabulon
Jul 25, 2003

Has anyone read Andrew Tanenbaum's "Computer networks"? Would you recommend it and what's it like compared to Cisco's books

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

falz posted:

I'm curious what methodology people use to filter/announce outbound routes to eBGP peers. Our systems still use some legacy methods of as-path access lists combined with prefix lists that are generally a pain in the rear end to maintain.

I'd like to switch to something that's based on only iBGP communities only if possible. This seems like a good basis but seems almost too easy:

* http://puck.nether.net/bgp/cisco-config.html
* http://puck.nether.net/bgp/juniper-config.html

Thoughts or caveats to the above that aren't immediately apparent?

Communities, communities, communities, communities!

Tag your own originated routes with a specific community, tag routes from transit with specific community, tag routes from peers with a community, tag routes from customers (or originated on customer's behalf) with a community.

Set up inbound and outbound route-maps for each category of BGP peer ensures you have consistant community tags on ingress, giving you consistent egress based on the community.

But yes, communities are absolutely the best way to control your announcements. We don't even bother with any aspath filters anymore, we just community tag everything and use prefix lists to control what we accept.

You may also want to look over Phil Smith's talks over the years (ftp://ftp-eng.cisco.com/pfs/seminars/), specifically the BGP-Techniques talk (most recent was NANOG50)

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

What does a 6509-E chassis and two WS-CAC-6000W's go for on the grey market? Anybody know?

I don't want to call a reseller until I have a ballpark, since once you call them, they will never, ever leave you alone again.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

jwh posted:

What does a 6509-E chassis and two WS-CAC-6000W's go for on the grey market? Anybody know?

I don't want to call a reseller until I have a ballpark, since once you call them, they will never, ever leave you alone again.
Ebay is usually a good point of reference, lots of resellers post their stuff there for about the same price they sell it ourtright. $2-$3k from what I can see. Unsure if it's kosher to say exactly which reseller one uses but we generally talk to Netowrk Hardware Resale, Cables and Kits, Optimum Data Inc. and sometimes have them fight with each other with quotes. All three of these places have 1yr warranty on their hardware.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
I have a pretty low pressure reseller I could hook you up with. Powercrazy has used him as well.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

ragzilla posted:

Communities, communities, communities, communities!

Thanks, definitely is the way to go. Since communities were more or less neglected on our network until I started adding some communities last week we didn't have 'send-community' on iBGP on most routers. I've since added it on all.

Everything is working fine except that Route Reflectors don't seem to be sending communities to their clients even with a clear soft (route refresh is enabled on everything). However, the RR clients do send their communities to the RR with a clear soft. Hard resetting BGP sessions obviously isn't desirable. Does this seem normal, or has anyone compiled a list of BGP neighbor changes that do/do not require hard reset?

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
edit: Nvm figured it out, user has a DSL connection so it isn't transferring the source IP of the external machine.

Sepist fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Dec 3, 2010

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

falz posted:

Thanks, definitely is the way to go. Since communities were more or less neglected on our network until I started adding some communities last week we didn't have 'send-community' on iBGP on most routers. I've since added it on all.

Everything is working fine except that Route Reflectors don't seem to be sending communities to their clients even with a clear soft (route refresh is enabled on everything). However, the RR clients do send their communities to the RR with a clear soft. Hard resetting BGP sessions obviously isn't desirable. Does this seem normal, or has anyone compiled a list of BGP neighbor changes that do/do not require hard reset?

Doesn't seem normal. You've got send-community on the neighbor statements in the RRs as well right (needs to be pretty much everywhere) ?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

I figured it out, it's really stupid. I had 'send-community extended' in some places and just 'send-community' in other. Looking at the docs, extended is extended only. Works fine now with 'both' keyword or just no extra keyword.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Does anyone know if TRILL support is on the road-map for lower end catalysts (ie, 2960S, 3750)?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Just reading about Trill it seems like it would be impossible for a switch to support without different ASICs. Unless your definition of support is just able to pass TRILL frames.

Bardlebee
Feb 24, 2009

Im Blind.
Hey, do you guys think that 500 dollars for ASA 5505's is overkill for a business that is 1.5Mbps bandwidth and 100 users?

If so any recommendations on a cisco firewall that still has the IOS on it?

The firewalls I am getting are refurbished, that's why they are so cheap.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

A 5505 with unlimited user licensing is like ~$650 or so, at least as far as CDW is concerned.

Bardlebee
Feb 24, 2009

Im Blind.

jwh posted:

A 5505 with unlimited user licensing is like ~$650 or so, at least as far as CDW is concerned.

Yeah, comes with a three year replacement warranty through a reseller. So it sounds like a good deal.

What does it mean by licenses? I haven't quite figured that part out.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

ASA's are licensed based on how many users (read as: visible MACs seen by the device's LAN port, or something).

If you exceed that number, no worky.

I think user-based licensing is just a way to gouge the customer into paying for the privilege of using what they're already purchased, but that's just my personal feeling.

Which is why I like the Palo Alto pricing model: you bought a box rated for x, you can cram x traffic through it.

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

jwh posted:

ASA's are licensed based on how many users (read as: visible MACs seen by the device's LAN port, or something).

The 5505 is the only model with this kind of licensing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

I didn't know that, but that explains why we didn't have to buy user licensing for our 5540s.

Although SSL VPN on the other hand...