Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Killbox posted:

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/11/the_presidency_of_jfk_50_years.html

How awesome was JFK? What were the downsides with him, were there any? Because everywhere i read and look, he really is presented as one of the greatest among presidents in USA.

He was an extremely charismatic person and he was famously brutally assassinated during a public event midway through his presidency. I always consider those two things to be big influences on why he's remembered so dearly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Killbox posted:

How awesome was JFK? What were the downsides with him, were there any? Because everywhere i read and look, he really is presented as one of the greatest among presidents in USA.

Wikipedia has an excellent article summarizing presidential rankings over time. He is typically regarded as a borderline top ten president. He was a charismatic guy, but politically was a typical liberal of the day. Johnson's presidency following his assassination suggests that Kennedy possibly would not be as well-regarded today had he had to deal with the social rifts created by the Vietnam mess.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I have the following picture:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v414/dingly/Screenshot2010-12-01at95859AM.png

and I want to cut out all the background and just have the cooler and the cord as the picture. How can I do this in Photoshop Elements?

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Busy Bee posted:

I have the following picture:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v414/dingly/Screenshot2010-12-01at95859AM.png

and I want to cut out all the background and just have the cooler and the cord as the picture. How can I do this in Photoshop Elements?

Magic Wand

Select your background with the wand, hit the delete key on your keyboard. You may need to make a transparent layer beneath the image.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

gwar3k1 posted:

Magic Wand

Select your background with the wand, hit the delete key on your keyboard. You may need to make a transparent layer beneath the image.

I found the magic wand tool and cut out the background but how should I make a transparent layer?

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
Here.

For reference, just create a new image with a transparent background (instead of White), and copy your image to it.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Jeffrey Colon posted:

Here.

For reference, just create a new image with a transparent background (instead of White), and copy your image to it.

Thank you, but it still seems to have a white background.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
Did you save it and open it in Photoshop?

e: Oh, oops, I uploaded the wrong version. My bad.

Jeffrey Colon fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 1, 2010

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
It had a background for me too:

Click here for the full 799x710 image.

I dunno why you'd need another layer.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

It had a background for me too:

Click here for the full 799x710 image.

I dunno why you'd need another layer.

Thank you!

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon
I suggested a new layer incase his background was white, which I assume it must have been otherwise it would have been obvious the white had been deleted. New image > paste is also a quick way, as mentioned.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Ahh, I'm far from good with image editing so I just figured everything worked like paint.net and when you select and delete it goes to transparent.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Can somebody identify these headphones? They're the best I've ever had and after about 10 years they've finally kicked the bucket (lost all bass.) I'd like to try and track down some more of the same (or a newer model) but it doesn't have a model number on it anywhere - all I know is that they're Sony.

Long shot, but thanks if you can help!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Akuma posted:

Can somebody identify these headphones? They're the best I've ever had and after about 10 years they've finally kicked the bucket (lost all bass.) I'd like to try and track down some more of the same (or a newer model) but it doesn't have a model number on it anywhere - all I know is that they're Sony.

Long shot, but thanks if you can help!

Those look pretty close to the MDR-CD280 headphones which appear to be out of production.

Added: An entry level set of studio monitor headphones would probably be a good replacement (e.g. MDR-XD200).

Wyatt fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 1, 2010

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Wyatt posted:

Those look pretty close to the MDR-CD280 headphones which appear to be out of production.

Added: An entry level set of studio monitor headphones would probably be a good replacement (e.g. MDR-XD200).
Holy poo poo thanks! Shame they don't make them anymore, though. They're so comfy!

Edit: Since you seem to know your stuff... Part of what I liked about them was that they don't block out a lot of sound. I could put them on and play some games or whatever and still talk to my wife without having to take them off. I know nothing about headphones but most reviews I read (including for the one you recommended) mention blocking out sound, which I don't want. Any recommendations?

If there's a better thread for this I can take it there...

Akuma fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 1, 2010

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Akuma posted:

The goons of Let's Talk About Headphones III could give you good recommendations.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
What is that little book called that is supposed to be one of the most useful books to own? I think it is green or blue and has common measurements for construction, metric-imperial conversions, etc. I first read about it somewhere here on the forums but searching for it on Google hasn't worked out for me today yet. Thanks!

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
The Old Farmer's Almanac maybe?

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Akuma posted:

Holy poo poo thanks! Shame they don't make them anymore, though. They're so comfy!

Edit: Since you seem to know your stuff... Part of what I liked about them was that they don't block out a lot of sound. I could put them on and play some games or whatever and still talk to my wife without having to take them off. I know nothing about headphones but most reviews I read (including for the one you recommended) mention blocking out sound, which I don't want. Any recommendations?

Go here

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2387142

The OP gives some details about what you might want to look for in headphones

Sounds like you want open circum-aural or something

pooface
May 20, 2004
HMMM!!!

WHEEZY DECK A HALL posted:

Any school you ever apply to, including loving community colleges will ask for transcripts from any school you've attended. Even some businesses will go so far as to check college transcripts if you have no real-world business experience and are applying for a position.

But what if I just didn't send the transcripts of this school? How would they know I attended?

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

They might wonder what you were doing with yourself for a few months, if you weren't also working.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Schweinhund posted:

The Old Farmer's Almanac maybe?

That's not the one I meant, but thanks. I didn't realize they were still making that. I wish I could remember more about the one I was talking about. I don't think it had a new edition every year like that.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Ariza posted:

What is that little book called that is supposed to be one of the most useful books to own? I think it is green or blue and has common measurements for construction, metric-imperial conversions, etc. I first read about it somewhere here on the forums but searching for it on Google hasn't worked out for me today yet. Thanks!

Are you thinking of Pocket Ref by Thomas Glover?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ariza posted:

That's not the one I meant, but thanks. I didn't realize they were still making that. I wish I could remember more about the one I was talking about. I don't think it had a new edition every year like that.

Are you thinking of this? http://www.thinkgeek.com/books/nonfiction/c289/

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

dokmo posted:

Are you thinking of Pocket Ref by Thomas Glover?

fishmech posted:

Are you thinking of this? http://www.thinkgeek.com/books/nonfiction/c289/

Yes, yes. Thank you both so much. My brain was melting trying to Google for "small book about everything."

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

A bunch of questions:

First, I'm going to buy a new phone in about 2 weeks and I really want the EVO 4g. Would it be possible to get it under $400 (preferably under 350) anywhere? Would SAmart be my best bet?

Secondly, how come AV club tv reviews are multiple pages but every other review, including film reviews, are often just a paragraph?

Finally, I ordered guitar hero 5 from amazon though Go Hastings, but the guitar came broken. I've sent several emails to the company trying to get a refund/replacement but they just haven't answered. Do I have any recourse?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
What famous actor is this supposed to be?

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Buster Keaton?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
It looks like Robert Taylor.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Wikipedia says robert taylor

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
What's the term for arguments that use absurd logic?

For example: Cutting off your toes is a 100% cure for toenail infections. However, that's a ridiculous extreme, even if it is technically true.

I know there's a specific word for it, but I just can't find it. Absurd logic doesn't fit. Extremism doesn't fit. Illogical extreme doesn't fit.

Anyone know the term for that sort of logic?

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

Mister Roboto posted:

For example: Cutting off your toes is a 100% cure for toenail infections. However, that's a ridiculous extreme, even if it is technically true.

I know there's a specific word for it, but I just can't find it. Absurd logic doesn't fit. Extremism doesn't fit. Illogical extreme doesn't fit.

Possibly listed here, even if not this is always handy to have around:

List of formal logic fallacies
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_fallacy

Zegnar fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Dec 2, 2010

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Mister Roboto posted:

Reductio ad absurdum

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reductio_ad_absurdum

It's my favorite way to argue about trivialities with friends.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

The Aphasian posted:

Reductio ad absurdum

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reductio_ad_absurdum

It's my favorite way to argue about trivialities with friends.

That's it, thank you!

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I'm looking for a cheap webcam setup that'll let me put a camera somewhere (transmitting over wifi to my computer, because they'll be in different rooms), then send images/video from it to a (private, obviously) website. I know there's probably a hundred ways to do this, I've just never messed with it before; I'd like it as a way to keep an eye on certain rooms of the house while I'm not there, so a cheap security cam is basically what I'm looking for.

Amazon doesn't have this in stock anymore, but would something like it be what I need? I don't need anything fancy, and I'd love if it were cheap because I'd like to buy at least two.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

jackpot posted:

I'm looking for a cheap webcam setup that'll let me put a camera somewhere (transmitting over wifi to my computer, because they'll be in different rooms), then send images/video from it to a (private, obviously) website. I know there's probably a hundred ways to do this, I've just never messed with it before; I'd like it as a way to keep an eye on certain rooms of the house while I'm not there, so a cheap security cam is basically what I'm looking for.

Amazon doesn't have this in stock anymore, but would something like it be what I need? I don't need anything fancy, and I'd love if it were cheap because I'd like to buy at least two.

I'm assuming you just need a wireless IP camera?

Wireless ones start at around $80, wired less than that.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...pe=&srchInDesc=

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
I live in Northern New England. Four geese just flew overhead, honking. They were flying Northeast. Why did that happen?

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Very Strange Things posted:

I live in Northern New England. Four geese just flew overhead, honking. They were flying Northeast. Why did that happen?

Migration, like hibernation, is nowhere near as uniform and orderly as nature documentaries make it seem. Those geese obviously haven't migrated south yet, and maybe won't.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Very Strange Things posted:

They forgot to turn off the iron. :downsrim:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
My 6 year old loves mspaint and we have about $50 more to spend on her for christmas.

I'm thinking about a drawing tablet, I had an atari one when I was a kid and it was great but I don't know anything about modern ones. All I've seen online are pressure sensitive and mostly expensive, we won't need that for mspaint.

How does it work anyway? You just use it as the mouse? Use the pen to select another mspaint tool or click file/save?

I saw a couple for 40-50 on newegg (genius brand) but wasn't sure they'd do what we wanted. plus the pen needs batteries and that kinda sucks.

Would there be something any type of stick/stylus/retracted ballpoint would work with? Any suggestions?

The $50 genius one was pressure sensitive which makes me think something that isn't (like my old atari one) would be even cheaper if I knew what to search for.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 3, 2010