Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Anything involving Vince McMahon and women (especially Trish) during the Attitude Era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

savinhill posted:

No, pouring whiskey in a recovering alcoholic's mouth is about as tasteless as it gets.

How about having someone with serious alcohol issues act drunk every night and have him go to bars? He would bring beer with him down to the ring.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Shiki Dan posted:

Top 10

Man, half those angles are awesome, not offensive

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!

Lone Rogue posted:

Melanie Pillman on Raw after Brian died.

gently caress I forgot about this. Understandably horrible thing to watch :smith:.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

How about having someone with serious alcohol issues act drunk every night and have him go to bars? He would bring beer with him down to the ring.
He wasn't trying to address his substance problems at the time though and while both are scummy, actually pouring whiskey in a recovering alcoholic's mouth without their foreknowledge is worse IMO.

savinhill fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Dec 1, 2010

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

savinhill posted:

He wasn't try to address his substance problems at the time though and while both are scummy, actually pouring whiskey in a recovering alcoholic's mouth without their foreknowledge is worse IMO.

If he wasn't he should have been as this was the middle of when he was getting divorced and having legal troubles.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ChikoDemono posted:

Anything involving Vince McMahon and women (especially Trish) during the Attitude Era.

Got my vote. Specifically the "bark like a dog" bit.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
I'm going to add:

Daivari/Hassan Terrorism Angle
Big Boss Man desecrating Big Show's Dad's Funeral

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Fucken_Gieux posted:

Got my vote. Specifically the "bark like a dog" bit.

Was that the same one where he dunked her head into a mop bucket?

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Was that the same one where he dunked her head into a mop bucket?

No, the one where he had Trish strip and degrade herself in the ring. I ain't finding it for you.

Dragging Iron Feet
Nov 10, 2007

by T. Finn
Another is during Goldberg's heel turn, he had a match with Hacksaw and attacked the area where he had his cancerous kidney removed. One Man Gang's transformation into Akeem was pretty hosed up too.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Fucken_Gieux posted:

No, the one where he had Trish strip and degrade herself in the ring. I ain't finding it for you.

I think this was from the same angle, just different weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMh3UQKSyf8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lgkTqRU57g

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Dragging Iron Feet posted:

One Man Gang's transformation into Akeem was pretty hosed up too.
I thought the One Man Gang/Akeem angle was more weird than offensive.

The earliest offensive angles that I can remember are the Piper's Pits where he attacked Snuka with a coconut and the one where he was saying some racist stuff to Tony Atlas.

savinhill fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Dec 1, 2010

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

jscolon2.0 posted:

I'm sorry, was the question most tasteless or most hilarious?

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

savinhill posted:

I thought the One Man Gang/Akeem angle was more awesome than awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRpy1BwKcwU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAWJbjrzUYA

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

savinhill posted:

I thought the One Man Gang/Akeem angle was more weird than offensive.

The earliest offensive angles that I can remember are the Piper's Pits where he attacked Snuka with a coconut and the one where he was saying some racist stuff to Tony Atlas.

There is absolutely nothing offensive about hitting Jimmy Snuka with a coconut.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

Shiki Dan posted:

Going by WWE/WWF only, Top 10 Most Offensive Angles in no particular order:

--Sgt. Slaughter's Saddam Hussein sympathizer angle

--Austin's Satanic Crucifixion by Undertaker and the Ministry of Darkness

--Hawk/Droz Drug Dealer Alcoholic Suicide Angle

--Katie Vick

--Any and all instances of attempted, implied, or actual rape (Viscera attempting to rape Ryan Shamrock, Viscera attempting to rape Rob Conway, DX/Triple H's implied rape of a girl who was supposed to be Stephanie)

--Vince McMahon putting himself over God (which even earned him coverage on Keith Olbermann's Worst Person in the World segment)

--Any and all instances of attempted murder (Austin/Pillman gun angle, The Rock's attempted murder of Austin by throwing him off a bridge--or was it the other way around???)

--Jake's Relapsed Alcoholic angle (as mentioned)

--Katie Lea/Paul Birchill's attempted incest angle

--Any and all instances of a wrestler's death or family of a recently-deceased wrestler's being used to pop ratings or push someone (Melanie Pillman, Randy Orton: "Eddie's not in heaven, he's in HELL!!!")

- Piper's half black/half white bit
- Beaver Cleavage and his 'mom'
- Chaz, supposed domestic abuser
- Saba Simba
- Undertaker 'hanging' the Bossman
- Triple H / Booker T feud
- Al Wilson
- The Snitsky/Lita angle

Not WWF, but there was an angle in Kansas City, in Kemper Arena, that had, I think, Mike Awesome get thrown off the top of a cage on/very very close to the anniversary of Owen Hart's death. Probably not deliberate, just WCW being WCW.

Also, Oklahoma.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions

BigRed0427 posted:

I dont remember the feud bewteen Rhyno and Jarret ever invoved Rhyno being exposed to alcohol though. They just mentioned he was a recovering alcohoholic to build up face sympathy.

I think they were referring to his feud with James Storm. Around late 2007 I believe, there was a tag match with Storm and Robert Roode vs. Rhino and Eric Young that Rhino and Young lost. Following it Storm poured beer on Rhino which made him go nuts. Then a few weeks later Rhino had an interview where he said he was a recovering alcoholic.

He and Storm had a few more matches with Storm continuing to go over by hitting Rhino with a beer bottle. Then in the aftermath he'd always pour beer on him. Finally Rhino won their last match which ended the feud.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Writer Cath posted:

I'll ask because I'm curious.

What do you think is the most offensive skit/angle ever done in wrestling and why?
To me it's either The Booker T/Trips feud or what King did to Jake the Snake. I won't bother slecting one eample of the way WWE/WWF has portrayed women.

I think you just have to accept general tastelesness like you do with a show like South Park and know you're probably going to be offended if they are dealing with an issue that's a hot button for you.

It's not ideal, but this is the kind of realm such a form of entertainment is in.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

jscolon2.0 posted:

This is the only thing I've ever been offended by in wrestling. What the gently caress were they thinking. :psyduck:

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Veg posted:

This is the only thing I've ever been offended by in wrestling. What the gently caress were they thinking. :psyduck:

How in the blue hell is this the only thing that offended you? A man interrupts a fake funeral and drives off with the casket. That is more offensive than making a alcoholic/drug addict play out their struggles and end up relapsing?

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

"Can we have a bit of decorum on this forum?"
While not nearly as bad as the previous stuff listed the Piggie James angle was pretty offensive.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Edwardian posted:

While not nearly as bad as the previous stuff listed the Piggie James angle was pretty offensive.

Its better then when they did that storyline bewteen Trish Stratus and Molly Holly where Holly was the "fat" one and the heel.

I honestly had no problem with the Piggy James thing, expecialy since it ended (Or at least was suppose to) the correct way.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

WeaselWeaz posted:

Then, after Rey had won the title, Chavo and Vickie turned on him.

I also like how the WWE paraded his family out on tv and sold arm bands with the guy's initials on them.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

What about scummy Indy angles?

XPW had a masked serial killer who would turn up randomly and blade people (including announcers) with a box cutter knife and did promos about new jack with a real snake eating a chicken.

CZW did this scummy angle about John Zandig with him being suspended from the ceiling with hooks through his skin!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Manwithastick posted:

XPW had a masked serial killer who would turn up randomly and blade people (including announcers) with a box cutter knife and did promos about new jack with a real snake eating a chicken.
This is so stupid that it's impossible to be offended by it.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Endorph posted:

This is so awesome that it's impossible to be offended by it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

bobkatt013 posted:

The whiskey thing is still worse. And Hall's "beer" wasn't beer.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

WeaselWeaz posted:

Eddie Guerrero's death used for a Rey Mysterio push and Chavo Guerrero heel turn.

Far from the worst. It was the continual exploitation of him after he died. Big Show chokeslamming Rey on his low rider like a week after he died, Randy saying he was in hell, etc.

Also the Booker/HHH feud was bad on paper, but after they decide WELL GOLDBERG IS HERE, WE BETTER KEEP THE TITLE ON HHH SO GOLDBERG CAN WIN IT IN SEPTEMBER launched it into the stratosphere of offensiveness

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Also it's not really an angle, but on ECW once Shelton Benjamin was making a lot of racist statements about Tatsu, basically doing everything he could to get the crowd to boo him.

He got cheered.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Endorph posted:

Also it's not really an angle, but on ECW once Shelton Benjamin was making a lot of racist statements about Tatsu, basically doing everything he could to get the crowd to boo him.

He got cheered.

See: Hassan, Mohammed

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Endorph posted:

He got cheered.

I remember the racist bit (which was terrible) but I honestly don't remember the crowd cheering.

What I found offensive was heel Edge coming out to rip on heel Vickie for being fat and ugly because fat and ugly women aren't real people and don't have human emotions and the crowd cheering him on and it being the catalyst for a face turn for Edge.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

I remember the racist bit (which was terrible) but I honestly don't remember the crowd cheering.

It was, thankfully, pretty awkward cheering. I think the detractors were too shocked to think to boo.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Jerusalem posted:

What I found offensive was heel Edge coming out to rip on heel Vickie for being fat and ugly because fat and ugly women aren't real people and don't have human emotions and the crowd cheering him on and it being the catalyst for a face turn for Edge.

In all fairness, I do genuinely hate fat people and consider them unworthy of kindness

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Manwithastick posted:

Wait, who was this? I remember XPW had Pogo the Clown wrestling for them, but which guy was the serial killer?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Ya but it was Vickie who was the most over heel at the time.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Endorph posted:

He got cheered.

Didn't the crowd immedetly start cheering Yoshi after he knocked Shelton out after one kick to the head?

It may be my favroite debut of a wrestler ever. Arrive, have oppenent say racist poo poo about you, knock him the gently caress out, leave.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

BigRed0427 posted:

Didn't the crowd immedetly start cheering Yoshi after he knocked Shelton out after one kick to the head?

It may be my favroite debut of a wrestler ever. Arrive, have oppenent say racist poo poo about you, knock him the gently caress out, leave.

Yeah they went loving crazy when Yoshi knocked him the gently caress out.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Captain Charisma posted:

Far from the worst. It was the continual exploitation of him after he died. Big Show chokeslamming Rey on his low rider like a week after he died, Randy saying he was in hell, etc.

I kind of lump that into the general Rey push. Also the Orton/Rey feud was disgusting. "Eddie isn't in heaven... Eddie's in hell!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

How much of those storylines came from Rey and the Guerreros? They all seem carny as gently caress, like pitching the idea for the feud over the custody of Dominick.