Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
There's a massive dearth of an hour sink in the mid-game, where you are literally running all over the place revisiting places for the plot. It's easily the low point of the game and probably where the majority of your hours went.

I just checked mine and it's only at 56 hours. 90 sounds pretty obscenely high!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
I think it took me like 75-80 compared to 50 for Vesperia. It is a pretty long game.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

well I did spend a while farming Copper Ore/Naevimetal at the search point outside the Desert Oasis so I could get that 750 power sword from Din's shop, so that probably constitutes some of it, but goddamn there is so much back and forth in this game.

EDIT: I also definitely left it paused for long periods at a time haha so it's probably closer to 80 hours if you take that time away

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 2, 2010

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
I was almost done watching the Tipping 40s LP of Symphonia, but unfortunately the thread got closed and archived. I must say that game has the most convoluted plot I have ever seen. I know this is the appreciation thread but the game had some of the worst story telling I've seen from a jrpg, every character just explains the plot and finds some way to throw in the word mana and tree. Are the other games this dry with storytelling? I must know!

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
Abyss is particularly in-depth with the technobabble. I think by the time I got about halfway through I barely understood what I was doing or why.

I still like the storyline a bit more than Vesperia's though.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Sourdough Sam posted:

I was almost done watching the Tipping 40s LP of Symphonia, but unfortunately the thread got closed and archived. I must say that game has the most convoluted plot I have ever seen. I know this is the appreciation thread but the game had some of the worst story telling I've seen from a jrpg, every character just explains the plot and finds some way to throw in the word mana and tree. Are the other games this dry with storytelling? I must know!
It really depends on the characters. To me, the majority of the Team Symphonia-Tales games have the same basic plot type: the worlds are unique but there's like two or three fundamentals that kind of make a core part of the plot. For example the mana/tree facets of Symphonia are analogous to blastia in Vesperia, or fotons in Abyss, etc. Team Symphonia plots tend to follow this generic pattern. Couldn't really tell you as far as Team Destiny plots go, as I've only played ToD1 (which probably had the best of them, because Swordians rule).

Symphonia definitely takes it to a bit of an extreme. Abyss is kind of saved in this vein by the fact Jade is usually the dude who explains most of the worldly stuff, and Jade kicks so much rear end (Koyasu as the Seiyu that is) that it's no problem at all. Also fotons and such are so analogous to like, basic physics that it kind of makes sense on its own without listening constantly to the technobabble (although the underground lifestream or whatever the hell it was could get :psyduck: at times).

Vesperia's plot on the other hand, is pretty hacked together at times - not nearly as bad as Symphonia but it sometimes teeters in that direction. The characters (Yuri and Raven mostly) save it to a certain extent. It really falls flat on the villian side though.

Having recently played Arc Rise Fantasia, you could definitely see a lot of Symphonia-esque influences in that game with the Dragon races and other facets.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Sourdough Sam posted:

To be fair most JRPGs aren't exactly ground breaking when it comes to the story. Most of us play these games for the combat system. However, to answer your question I did enjoy how Abyss and Vesperia's stories were laid out. They aren't nearly as bad as Destiny, Eternia, Symphonia or Legendia.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

yeah I barely remember Vesperia's plot beyond who the end boss was and parts of the beginning. But the characters were so awesome, they're what stuck out. Abyss is kinda weak on characters (there's only 6 wtf) except for Jade who is amazing. Fonons are ok I guess but I still couldn't tell you what each number is, not even what the 7th is, or what a 7th Fonist is. This game is way too wacky with that stuff.

I like Symphonia's plot a lot, even if it's super generic jrpg and parts of it are fetch questy. (though not as fetch questy as Abyss) But it had charm, I liked the dumb reveals about Tethe'alla and Sylvarant and all the dumb poo poo about the religion actually being evil and having to kill god and all that.

Of course if we are gonna talk about bad characters/plot devices, Phantasia takes the cake with Chester coming back into your party 9/10 of the way through the game and only being able to shoot arrows. He was so horribly useless and I have no idea why they brought him back into your party.

EDIT: I still find it profoundly weird that your healing items are gummis. I'm gonna eat this gummi bear and restore my health yum!

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 2, 2010

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Of course if we are gonna talk about bad characters/plot devices, Phantasia takes the cake with Chester coming back into your party 9/10 of the way through the game and only being able to shoot arrows. He was so horribly useless and I have no idea why they brought him back into your party.

Because he was your best friend and the most badass character of the entire game:colbert:

I remember spending hours upon hours leveling him back up once I got him back. Sorry Karth, your bitch rear end is riding the pine.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I like Symphonia's plot a lot, even if it's super generic jrpg and parts of it are fetch questy. (though not as fetch questy as Abyss) But it had charm, I liked the dumb reveals about Tethe'alla and Sylvarant and all the dumb poo poo about the religion actually being evil and having to kill god and all that.

So did I :unsmith:

Also Chester is cool, he's such a nice brother :smith:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Phantasia has been redone so many times now, I think it's only in the very original that Chester comes super late. He's much earlier in the remakes, if memory serves correctly. The last I played was the PSX version, which had more characters too (I hope I'm not misremembering here, it's really been a long time).

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

yeah I barely remember Vesperia's plot beyond who the end boss was and parts of the beginning. But the characters were so awesome, they're what stuck out. Abyss is kinda weak on characters (there's only 6 wtf) except for Jade who is amazing. Fonons are ok I guess but I still couldn't tell you what each number is, not even what the 7th is, or what a 7th Fonist is. This game is way too wacky with that stuff.
I guess technically there's more than six in Abyss, considering the non-combatants that follow you around forever but still participate in skits (Ion, Mieu). Plus the "EXTRA" spoiler guy (which you can see who he is by checking your in-game score, oops~).

I still like Tear, Guy, Luke, and Jade a lot. Anise could be a handful but funny at times. Natalie on the other hand ...

Click here for the full 1295x972 image.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Dec 2, 2010

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Abyss having six characters I feel is a blessing since Symphonia's last two characters (Regal and Presea) never got quite as much development as everyone else.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I have only ever played all the way through the original ported verion of Tales of Phantasia. I was really confused when I watched the anime and Klarth didn't look like a grumpy old guy.

Thats him second from last. Was this just a screw up from the ported version or is that what he originally looked like?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ToS's plot is kind of info dumpy, features a lot of unnecessary techno babble, and has really dumb twists.

On the other hand, Zelos is an awesome character.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Solice Kirsk posted:

Thats him second from last. Was this just a screw up from the ported version or is that what he originally looked like?
That's the original Klarth. The original Tales of Phantasia is filled with a lot of drama/history that I believe you can read about at Wikipedia. Suffice to say, the original artist (Yoshiaki Inagaki) probably (there used to be a BBS for this guy that showed off his artwork, and Klarth was on it, but it seems to have went away like two months ago - http://members.at.infoseek.co.jp/retorono310/TOPPAGE.html) did the Klarth that you see above as well as the original Phantasia characters. Fujishima made some changes but for the most part the original character art was mostly followed and went into the original ToP (which fit the typical fantasy party archetype culture at the time - every party had to have one gruff old dude with a tender heart).

Years later when the remake came out, Kosuke Fujishima did a total overhaul on most of the characters (touch-ups here and there mostly) but a new Klarth was born for use in the PS1 remake and all future remakes I believe (dunno about Nakiri, haven't looked - they do tend to touch these up every version I've noticed. I think Arche loses her pink hair at some point, the PSP version?) since older party mates really weren't part of the archetype anymore.

Original Klarth:

Newer Klarth (and other characters)

Click here for the full 641x478 image.

Click here for the full 956x541 image.

I personally preferred old Klarth myself as well, especially with respect to the final scene at the town before the final dungeon.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 2, 2010

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Rascyc posted:

I personally preferred old Klarth myself as well, especially with respect to the final scene at the town before the final dungeon.

I donno, Klarth is supposed to be 29 and I think newer is closer to that than older (although it's hard to make out the older one).

WingsOfSteel
Nov 13, 2007

Even Dr. Octopus can learn something from the Internet!

Endorph posted:

ToS's plot is kind of info dumpy, features a lot of unnecessary techno babble, and has really dumb twists.

I dunno, man, the iced coffee twist was riveting.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

WingsOfSteel posted:

I dunno, man, the iced coffee twist was riveting.

isn't this coffee so hot?

actually, that's iced coffee!!!!!

I dunno I really love Scott Menville who does the voice of Lloyd, actually I really liked all the Symphonia cast. I think it had the best cast of them all, with Vesperia as a close second. I mean, Crispin Freeman, Jennifer Hale, Scott Menville, Tara Strong, and motherfucking Cam Clarke all in one game? That's part of the reason why Dawn of the New World is such a piece of poo poo, it was non-union so they couldn't get any of the awesome people from the original in it :(

also I just did a 55 and 63 hit combo in the same battle in Abyss :w00t: this is why I love Tales games

EDIT: is Nebilim in Abyss super hard? I am thinking about fighting her but I'm not gonna do it if she's just gonna rape my face. My characters are all around 65, if that helps.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Dec 3, 2010

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

EDIT: is Nebilim in Abyss super hard? I am thinking about fighting her but I'm not gonna do it if she's just gonna rape my face. My characters are all around 65, if that helps.

I hope you enjoy eating constant Mystic Arts!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Eddain posted:

I hope you enjoy eating constant Mystic Arts!

the enemies in this game cheat and use mystic artes when they aren't overlimit, and sometimes go into overlimit again while they're already in overlimit. It makes no sense!

Also I am mad that characters have second Mystic Artes, but only on subsequent playthroughs. That's fuckin bullshit :argh:

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

the enemies in this game cheat and use mystic artes when they aren't overlimit, and sometimes go into overlimit again while they're already in overlimit. It makes no sense!

Also I am mad that characters have second Mystic Artes, but only on subsequent playthroughs. That's fuckin bullshit :argh:

Honestly, those secondary mystic artes are riddled with so many stupid conditions that most of them won't ever be used in a real fight.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

yep no way in hell I am beating her, guess that can wait until another playthrough if that ever happens! Just gonna beat this game and be done with it.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

yep no way in hell I am beating her, guess that can wait until another playthrough if that ever happens! Just gonna beat this game and be done with it.

You can steal the best core from her. +4 to all stats.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Eddain posted:

You can steal the best core from her. +4 to all stats.

This alone is worth trying to fight her. I beat her on Hard on my first playthrough, but I had a second player.

Someone posted a good strategy for beating her that involved controlling Tear, but I forget the specifics.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I know you can steal the best core, but even with Item Rover, Raging Blast still takes forever to steal anything. I should probably have put both Tear and Natalia in my party and just whacked at her while Jade cast spells, but eh. If I feel like booting up this save at a later time and grinding a few levels to make it easier, I will. For now I just want to get this game over with!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I controlled Tear and basically just ran from all of her spells, reviving Jade/Luke/Guy as quickly as I could manage.

It was hard but not too crazy.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Found it!

SpazmasterX posted:

I beat [Nebilim] my first time through at about 61 using Luke, Tear, Jade, and Guy just by running around as Tear and doing nothing but Resurrection. All her favorite spells beside Ground Dasher have a long enough window that you can get a cast in as long as Tear has her skills that speed up cast times and Rhythm. The Faerie Ring from the exhibition match helps too. And if she uses Blessed Drops in the right spot you can turn Resurrection into Revitalize and get more for your money. If you're feeling dangerous and have a Sunlight Chamber, you could Invoke Aqua and do it yourself.

Basically just run and cast and let the guys whittle her down while you stay the gently caress away and taunt while there's no one dead so you can throw in an Innocent Shine here and there. I really wish all the good Mystic Artes could be used more than once.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

wait to get a FoF change for a spell does the target or the caster have to be in the FoF, or can it just be somewhere on the field? I swear spells have gotten FoF when neither of them were actually in the FoF. Also I wish the anime sequences had subtitles because I can't hear what they're saying!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

wait to get a FoF change for a spell does the target or the caster have to be in the FoF

Either of these. If the caster is in the FoF, they'll absorb it and cast the FoF change. If the target is in the FoF, it'll change on casting if the target is still in the FoF circle, but not if they move out of it.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
Tales of Graces F is out now. People are reporting that Richard can use Shooting Stars (Was a unison attack in Symphonia), and some of the costume DLC changes the battle tracks. Not that more than 1 or 2 of us would be able to confirm :(

If you all happen to own a PSGroove or something similar (NOT a PSJailbreak), there's an translation patch for the demo released at https://www.talesofgraces.com

vv my mistake, thanks for catching that.

My Crab is Fight fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 3, 2010

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

BurningCourage posted:

If you all happen to own a PSJailbreak, there's an translation patch for the demo released at https://www.talesofgraces.com

This is the only reason for PSJailbreak to exist as far as I'm concerned, if I could have used my PSN account with it just to play Graces F I would go out and find one :(

gently caress you Namco.

BreakTargets
Apr 5, 2009

Just a random Spiral Knight...

BurningCourage posted:

If you all happen to own a PSJailbreak, there's an translation patch for the demo released at https://www.talesofgraces.com

Tempus posted:

This supports most jailbreak methods such as PSGroove, but not the default PL3, nor the official PSJailbreak device dongle.

Uh... you didn't read the entire post.
Still though, going to buy one today.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I just booted up Symphonia 2 again because I'm on kind of a Tales kick (and wdarkk's testpost in the LP sandcastle rekindled my interest) and I seriously can't believe Emil and Guy have the same voice actor who was also the second Black Ranger. (and later, the Green ranger) It's so weird.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I just booted up Symphonia 2 again because I'm on kind of a Tales kick (and wdarkk's testpost in the LP sandcastle rekindled my interest) and I seriously can't believe Emil and Guy have the same voice actor who was also the second Black Ranger. (and later, the Green ranger) It's so weird.

You must not play many games. Dude's everywhere.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Momomo posted:

You must not play many games. Dude's everywhere.

So's Marta's voice actress.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I know you can steal the best core, but even with Item Rover, Raging Blast still takes forever to steal anything. I should probably have put both Tear and Natalia in my party and just whacked at her while Jade cast spells, but eh. If I feel like booting up this save at a later time and grinding a few levels to make it easier, I will. For now I just want to get this game over with!

That's why you should use Guy's Final Cross arte to steal. Never use Raging Blast. It is awful.

FSLink
Nov 6, 2009

McTimmy posted:

That's why you should use Guy's Final Cross arte to steal. Never use Raging Blast. It is awful.

Void Tempest is also a good move to use to steal as well, but it's better to have a yellow FS Chamber on it for easy Dragon Tempests after using Severing Wind.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
Here is a ToGF video of the new hi-ougis/mystic artes for the PS3 version. Kamen Rider fans might want to skip to about a minute in.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Some Numbers posted:

Found it!

Ha! I was hoping someone would remember my airtight Nebilim strategy.

EDIT: More info:

SpazmasterX posted:

Take Luke, Guy, Jade, and Tear. Map Resurrection to your favorite button because you're gonna abuse the gently caress out of it. Run around as Tear and leave everything to Jade because he's gonna be the only one that does good damage. Luke and Guy are just there to steal her attention away from Jade so he can cast. Don't forget to abuse the water FoF she'll leave behind from Blessed Drops to get a AoE full revive if at all possible. (Stand in it and cast)

Just keep moving as Tear since all of the boss's favorite spells all have a warm-up animation before they actually do damage, and obviously try to avoid running into your own guys so they get hit with the spell. And keep your distance from the boss in general because you never know when she might decide to use an attack arte instead of a spell. Make sure to carry revival items just in case of such an event, and keep plenty of MP and HP recovery items, but don't let the AI use any. It'd just be a waste.

Also make sure you have Charge with a maxed Cobalt chamber. Free MP in a pinch.

It's airtight, if time consuming. Took me three hours to beat her on Very Hard.

SpazmasterX fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 4, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shingin
Apr 14, 2005

Not the Red Comet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEB98GnFKs8

youtube video of the translated demo.