Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

I interviewed for a position at Lockheed back in mid-September and hit it off fairly well with the hiring managers, who at the end told me that I should hear a decision from them in "one to two weeks." Ten weeks and several inquiring emails later and I still hadn't heard anything from them, so I pretty much wrote it off. I mentioned the lack of response on Lockheed's campus outreach website and got the following response, which certainly makes me feel a bit more optimistic about eventually hearing something:

quote:

I understand the disappointment, but would encourage you to wait expectantly and continue to send inquiries (always politely). It seems to be common among people I have talked to here to be hired in late Nov / Dec and start work in January... even when interviews originally were as far back as August. I'm sure this is an area where corporate communication could be improved, but it is possible that things are still moving on your application. Before the company makes an official offer of any kind (including an email or phone call to say 'yes we are going to make an offer') a basic background investigation would normally be done, and that can take time. Also, the hiring/interviewing manager is not in control of this portion of the process and probably does not know any more than you do about the status. Such is the nature of a large corporation like Lockheed Martin (right hand and left hand sometimes fail to talk to each other). I hope you hear something one way or the other soon.

I myself interviewed in early September, was told an offer would be made the first week of Dec, and received the offer in the middle of Dec. It tends to happen a little slower than a nimble start-up company handles hiring decisions.

I'm sure there's other people on here in the same or similar boats, sending off lots of applications and not hearing anything for months at a time. I had previously heard wait estimates of "4 to 6 weeks" from recruiters at job fairs so its nice to know that hope isn't totally lost after a few months. In the meantime I'll just keep applying, 32 applications and counting since August :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

flux_core posted:

My CC basically says "Heh, wait until you get to the University we're joined at the hip to.", though we've started an "Engineering Student's Society." I'll just have to keep looking until someone shuts me up by giving me something :downs:

Know how to code? You can get some good experience by going up to professors and saying "Will write C++/perl/MATLAB for pocket change"

Now, people in business may not put much weight in that experience, but its something.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

hobbesmaster posted:

Know how to code? You can get some good experience by going up to professors and saying "Will write C++/perl/MATLAB for pocket change"

Now, people in business may not put much weight in that experience, but its something.

Go talk to the astro-physics guys. They are always looking for people that can code, and that would stand out to me if I was looking at someone's resume.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Plinkey posted:

Go talk to the astro-physics guys. They are always looking for people that can code, and that would stand out to me if I was looking at someone's resume.

You'd think it sounds impressive but it didn't seem to help my resume. I worked in astrophysics, biology, health sciences and EE as an undergrad.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

hobbesmaster posted:

You'd think it sounds impressive but it didn't seem to help my resume. I worked in astrophysics, biology, health sciences and EE as an undergrad.

I wrote software for farm equipment and managed to get a job right out of school...I guess it really is a crap shoot.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Plinkey posted:

I wrote software for farm equipment and managed to get a job right out of school...I guess it really is a crap shoot.

See, but that is a "real" job.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

flux_core posted:

My CC basically says "Heh, wait until you get to the University we're joined at the hip to.", though we've started an "Engineering Student's Society." I'll just have to keep looking until someone shuts me up by giving me something :downs:

huh, I am generally far more qualified than other engineering students for internships but they insisted I be out of CC before entering.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

So I'll be starting my second semester of my sophomore year next semester, but it will be my first full semester as a ChemE. Anyway, I'm looking to start applying for internships/co-ops and I was wondering as to how much of a disadvantage I'll be at for not really having any past work experience or extra curriculars. Basically all I've got going for me are my solid grades (3.65 gpa currently). How bad is this?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 10, 2023

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Thoguh posted:

That GPA is pretty drat good at the schools I've recruited at, where would that put you among your classmates? Also, even if you don't have any Chem E related extracuriculars, have you been involved in anything non-class related? Officer in a student club or student government or something?

I didn't do poo poo in high school other than breeze through the classes. Like I said, all I've got going for me are my grades.

flux_core
Feb 26, 2007

Not recommended on thin sections.

Plinkey posted:

Community College tends to peak at "Statics" or "doing IT's job for them", at least the one I go to.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Thoguh posted:

I didn't ask about high school - because nobody cares about high school. It's okay to have high school stuff on your resume freshman year because there is nothing else to place on it, but it should be filtering off by the time you are a sohpmore. What have you done since getting on campus other than go to class?

Nothing. I checked out the clubs and other various activities on campus but none of it interested me.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Nothing. I checked out the clubs and other various activities on campus but none of it interested me.

So, you eat, sleep, go to class, do homework, and nothing else? What are your accomplishments outside of class/workplace? Hobbies that have taken time/effort/dedication and have resulted in something cool can probably be listed in the place of school related extra-curriculars if you don't have any. Personally I'm listing my time as president of x club (not going to list, that + my av could give you my name :P) along with the restoration work I've been helping my dad with on his project car. (I want to work in the auto industry and I figure it shows interest)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

flux_core posted:

Community College tends to peak at "Statics" or "doing IT's job for them", at least the one I go to.

"Doing IT's job for them" is what we were referring to. The sciences need lots of computer support and while plenty of Physics PhDs are competent programmers there are a lot more that aren't or who don't have the time to manage databases, SVN repositories, Windows domains and the like.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

TrueChaos posted:

So, you eat, sleep, go to class, do homework, and nothing else?

And dick around, I am the master of dicking around.

TrueChaos posted:

What are your accomplishments outside of class/workplace?

Not poo poo

TrueChaos posted:

Hobbies that have taken time/effort/dedication and have resulted in something cool can probably be listed in the place of school related extra-curriculars if you don't have any.

Never really had any constructive hobbies

Basically, I've been awesome at school my whole life and not much else
Kinda depressing now that I think about it

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Thoguh posted:

As a recruiter, this is a big red flag for us. We'll take somebody with a gpa of around 3.2 who is heavily involved in things (or works during school) any day over somebody with a 3.7 that doesn't do anything other than class.

As an engineer you will spend your entire career working on teams, so showing you can do that is really important.

Are there not even any engineering related clubs that interest you at all?

I see what ya mean. I think there's a ChemE club here so I'll check it out, but I don't think the whole club scene here is really big or involved. I could be wrong though.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Now would be a really good time to figure out what things interest you and pursue them. One of the reasons I got my job is because I wrote down that I was technical director for a summer teen theater production. It showed that I was able to manage a budget, coordinate and instruct volunteers who possessed more enthusiasm than skill, and translate a director's vision into a final product.

If the school has a professional society then you should definitely join it. It gives you a good chance to meet with fellow students and work through classwork together, and it also looks good on a resume. If the clubs or organizations at your college aren't interesting, then look at something like a project club or class where the group works on a challenge like Solar Decathlon or the DARPA Grand Challenge.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Now would be a really good time to figure out what things interest you and pursue them. One of the reasons I got my job is because I wrote down that I was technical director for a summer teen theater production. It showed that I was able to manage a budget, coordinate and instruct volunteers who possessed more enthusiasm than skill, and translate a director's vision into a final product.

If the school has a professional society then you should definitely join it. It gives you a good chance to meet with fellow students and work through classwork together, and it also looks good on a resume. If the clubs or organizations at your college aren't interesting, then look at something like a project club or class where the group works on a challenge like Solar Decathlon or the DARPA Grand Challenge.

Professional Society like AIChE (American Institute of Chemical Engineers or somesuch)? I'll look into that, too.

For what it's worth, I don't really know yet if I'm passionate for ChE or engineering at all for that matter. It's pretty much my major now because I'm good at chemistry and, provided I can get a job, will pay well with just a B.S.

edit: also, that project club poo poo is for nerds :c00lbutt:

neibbo
Jul 18, 2003

Yes, mein Fuhrer... I mean.. Mr. President

Terrifying Effigies posted:

I interviewed for a position at Lockheed back in mid-September and hit it off fairly well with the hiring managers, who at the end told me that I should hear a decision from them in "one to two weeks." Ten weeks and several inquiring emails later and I still hadn't heard anything from them, so I pretty much wrote it off. I mentioned the lack of response on Lockheed's campus outreach website and got the following response, which certainly makes me feel a bit more optimistic about eventually hearing something:

I'm sure there's other people on here in the same or similar boats, sending off lots of applications and not hearing anything for months at a time. I had previously heard wait estimates of "4 to 6 weeks" from recruiters at job fairs so its nice to know that hope isn't totally lost after a few months. In the meantime I'll just keep applying, 32 applications and counting since August :smith:

I had to wait about 2 months before I finally heard back from Lockheed and got an offer. The phone call I got was from a different Lockheed office on the other side of the country and I don't even think it was part of the same division (Missiles and Fire Control). When I finally started work the hiring manager said he had begun to wonder what had happened to me.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Professional Society like AIChE (American Institute of Chemical Engineers or somesuch)? I'll look into that, too.

For what it's worth, I don't really know yet if I'm passionate for ChE or engineering at all for that matter. It's pretty much my major now because I'm good
at chemistry and, provided I can get a job, will pay well with just a B.S.

Then get the gently caress out now. If you're not passionate about engineering then you're going to be miserable in a few years. College is that magical time when you can change your major and figure out who you are without any real consequences. Eventually the classes get to the point where even the 'smart' kids have to work their asses off, and that's when the desire to be an engineer keeps you going.

quote:

That "project club poo poo" is what you'll be doing for the rest of your life, so this is another reason to consider a different career path.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That "project club poo poo" is what you'll be doing for the rest of your life, so this is another reason to consider a different career path.

Plus that project club stuff is fun. Its cool being in charge of everything, from running practice nights, to ordering equipment, to making sure everyone is following the safety rules, to organizing competition nights with other universities... Doesn't feel like work.

Guess its my turn for a question: My marks aren't great (I don't know GPA, canada and at my uni we use %) but I have a fair bit of experience outside of engineering, i.e. clubs and whatnot. Also, my mark in project based courses (design projects) is a fair bit higher than my average. Aside from highlighting that in my cover letter, is there anything else I can do to get people to look past my transcript?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
This is kind of off-topic but I figured this would be the best place to ask since there's actually people in here involved in hiring interns/engineers. Is it important to have a suit to wear to interviews for internships or will a nice dress shirt, tie, and khakis be good enough? I'm hesitant to spend money on a suit because at this point I could only afford a poor quality one that wouldn't fit me well, and I would probably only use it a few times only until I could afford a better one.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MaxxBot posted:

This is kind of off-topic but I figured this would be the best place to ask since there's actually people in here involved in hiring interns/engineers. Is it important to have a suit to wear to interviews for internships or will a nice dress shirt, tie, and khakis be good enough? I'm hesitant to spend money on a suit because at this point I could only afford a poor quality one that wouldn't fit me well, and I would probably only use it a few times only until I could afford a better one.

Yes, wear a drat suit. Engineers have this lovely reputation of being unable to comply with social norms. This is not a good thing in a business environment, so do what you're supposed to do for an interview so as not to give off that impression. You wear a suit to a corporate interview. Period.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Then get the gently caress out now. If you're not passionate about engineering then you're going to be miserable in a few years. College is that magical time when you can change your major and figure out who you are without any real consequences. Eventually the classes get to the point where even the 'smart' kids have to work their asses off, and that's when the desire to be an engineer keeps you going.

I'll be taking my first "real" ChE class next semester, so I haven't really had an opportunity to know if I like it or not yet.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That part was a joke, hence the :c00lbutt:
I think it might be cool to work on one of those actually

Thoguh posted:

Are there any sports clubs that interest you maybe? For exampe, I was the captain of a club sports team in college. This meant I was in charge of all the fundraising, budgeting, travel planning, practice planning, coaching at competitions, etc... That was really big on my resume and something I always talked about in interviews. Had nothing to do with Aerospace Engineering but had a lot to do with working with and leading groups, which are essential skills for an engineer.

I like watching football, but I don't know how interested I'd be in getting more involved in it than that. I'll run through the list of clubs again and see if there's something on there that I wouldn't mind doing

40sTheme
Oct 21, 2010

flux_core posted:

Engineers don't typically have to learn about topology and cardinality and other things, just what they need to do their jobs.

What a math major learns is often times useless to an engineer. What does an engineer care of proofs, anyway?

That's why I quit engineering.

2 1/2 years of college and all I know is math. Nothing really important, just a bunch of formulas and methods for really specific stuff. Screw paying $16,000 a year for that.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

For what it's worth, I don't really know yet if I'm passionate for ChE or engineering at all for that matter. It's pretty much my major now because I'm good at chemistry and, provided I can get a job, will pay well with just a B.S.

You should try to be involved with AIChE while you're a still an undergrad; it gets wicked expensive once you graduate.

I didn't do a lot of 'club' things when I was in undergrad chemE either. If you have a lot of free time, maybe you should think about doing undergraduate research (if the opportunity is available). It'll look good on your resume, give you some actual skillz, and introduce you to other students and faculty who could recommend you later (and who knows, you might even get a paper or something out of it). A 3.65 is a decent GPA, but it's not like you're killing yourself studying or something? Undergrad research would look better than any random club you join, and you don't need ANY research experience going in to it (typically). In my lab, we look at students' GPAs first when we decide whether we want to take on an undergrad or not, and yours would easily get past the 'smell' test.

Edit: Chemical engineering isn't really about chemistry that much, funny enough. Wait till you take reactor design as you become the master of A + B => C. Who cares what A, B, and C are as long as you can make money! I hope you enjoy thermo and fluid mechanics.

Foyes36 fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Dec 3, 2010

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer

Thoguh posted:

You have to get through all those classes before you get to the fun stuff. The reason for this is that you can't understand the fun stuff if you don't have a very solid grounding in math and physics (and chem/biology, depending on what kind of engineering major you are).

For example I had a great time designing and building a carbon fiber composite wing for a project senior year, but that took a background in aerodynamics, mechanics of materials, statics, dynamics, linear algebra, and a lot more in order to pull it off. The crap classes suck, but so does 90% of the stuff you'll do in your job. It's the other 10% that makes it all worthwhile.

Oh god this, I'm only at my fifth semester but I have learned so much useful crap and I'm happy. If only I had the time to apply my ideas!

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Pfirti86 posted:

You should try to be involved with AIChE while you're a still an undergrad; it gets wicked expensive once you graduate.

I didn't do a lot of 'club' things when I was in undergrad chemE either. If you have a lot of free time, maybe you should think about doing undergraduate research (if the opportunity is available). It'll look good on your resume, give you some actual skillz, and introduce you to other students and faculty who could recommend you later (and who knows, you might even get a paper or something out of it). A 3.65 is a decent GPA, but it's not like you're killing yourself studying or something? Undergrad research would look better than any random club you join, and you don't need ANY research experience going in to it (typically). In my lab, we look at students' GPAs first when we decide whether we want to take on an undergrad or not, and yours would easily get past the 'smell' test.

Edit: Chemical engineering isn't really about chemistry that much, funny enough. Wait till you take reactor design as you become the master of A + B => C. Who cares what A, B, and C are as long as you can make money! I hope you enjoy thermo and fluid mechanics.

I'm not even sure if my school offers undergrad research for ChemE's - I just always figured their alternative to that was Co-Op'ing. I'll definitely look into that as well as ask my adviser about our AIChE chapter here. My GPA could definitely be better... I don't really study like I should and generally just end up looking over the notes the day before a test or something. It's mostly like English and Psychology classes that I didn't care enough to get an A in that are weighing me down a bit. Hopefully that'll change once I make it to some of the more interesting stuff. I've heard the ChE class I've got next semester isn't all that fun unfortunately seeing as it's supposed to be a Freshman class, but we'll see.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

I'm not even sure if my school offers undergrad research for ChemE's - I just always figured their alternative to that was Co-Op'ing. I'll definitely look into that as well as ask my adviser about our AIChE chapter here.

Do you go to a school where faculty do research and hire graduate students? Some schools have no faculty doing research and zero graduate programs, so if this is the case then please disregard my suggestion.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Pfirti86 posted:

Do you go to a school where faculty do research and hire graduate students? Some schools have no faculty doing research and zero graduate programs, so if this is the case then please disregard my suggestion.

I know our Chemistry department does research, but I'm not so sure about ChE, I'll have to find out.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
Any Canadians in here?

What would one think of a Civil Engineering Technologist advanced diploma?

With it, there seems to be a bit of demand in the west by the evil awesome oil companies, or with transportation companies. Pay seems to be in the upper 5 figures.

CapnBoomstick
Jan 20, 2006

I know our Chemistry department does research, but I'm not so sure about ChE, I'll have to find out.

Go talk to the professors and see if they have any positions open for Undergrad Research Assistants. I had about 5 different undergrads work for me while I was in grad school and that'll look real good on a resume. Not to mention the work is pretty laid back if you don't mind doing a lot of dishes and cleaning.

Dr. Hernandez always has the biggest research group, so he'd probably be the first person I'd go to. Dr. Elmore would also have a good idea about who is in need of undergrads.

Also, get involved in AIChE. It's cheap and there's free food at the meetings. The annual meetings are always a lot of fun as well.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Alright, thanks duder. Also, congrats on your new job!

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86
real engineers how do you feel about train drivers and engine room workers aboard ships being allowed to call them self engineers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013
I just found out (via Wikipedia) that there's some level of controversy over the term "engineer," and apparently you can't even be called an engineer in some states without passing some sort of engineering test or something.

So how do you guys (traditional engineers?) feel about software engineering? Do you consider it to be actual engineering? Do you you consider to be a potential field of engineering but think that it's not there yet? Do you think licensing should be required to be a software engineer?

From my limited understanding, it seems like nobody can even agree on what software engineering is exactly, so while I can understand it being engineering, I feel like licensing is a bad idea.

Actually, I feel like licensing is a bad idea in general (even for more traditional types of engineering), since it seems like unnecessary government intervention/bureaucracy, but that's kind of off-topic.