Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

T-Square posted:

The 325 has a Getrag 260.

Speaking of 325's and Getrag 260's, mine just took a poo poo. It's stuck in reverse, but the shifter is in neutral position. I put the car on a lift and the shift rod is connected to the selector shaft, or at least appears to be.

At least I have a '91 318i sitting in my driveway :unsmith: Oh wait, I have to title, insure, register, and do the other front wheel-bearing :smith:

Also: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=151907

Edit: New page, Picture Dump Incoming

Yaaay flat spots!!!

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 2, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

What happens when the crush gasket on this little darling here stops being a gasket?

Yes, that brown stuff is oil. It sprays almost directly out of the wheelwell, managing to coat the headers, relocated catalytic converters, everything else under the car, and the brakes.

I guess I'm lucky, I turned it off the instant the oil pressure light flickered, because I noticed the huge cloud of smoke first. Managed to coast into a gas station parking lot without bursting into flames or the stability control throwing me into a tree like it tried to do; turns out stability control freaks out when one front brake does nothing.

It's four months out of warranty.

I'm fixing it myself. $130 tensioner, $90 oil change kit, $70 brake pads. Not as bad as it could be. I can't imagine the amount of cleanup there was the next morning at the gas station, but it was raining. I do know that there is a ton of oil on my driveway right now from where I filled it back up and searched for the source of the leak and subsequently pumped at least four quarts back out in about 15 seconds.

Maybe it's trying to tell me something. Something like: gently caress it, buy a new(er) car.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Arggh my kingdom for a clean '89-91 diamantschwarz or schwarz E30 :(

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Jorsh posted:

Three posts up. Anything can be had at the right price.

Make me an offer I can't refuse.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Gripen5 posted:

Anyone know anything about transmission shifting problems on a '98 BMW 740iL?

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/cto/2088929435.html

I thought he was selling it for $2 just to get rid of it, but even at $2000, if it is something simple, it seems like a nice car.

He claims to have replaced the tranny and the transmission computer.

It'll be a real gamble to buy. The transmission is expensive and weighs a ton, so it's a nightmare to change yourself. My guess is that the replacement he bought for it was also busted. It could be just a filter and some solenoid/valve change, but who knows, maybe you also need to entirely replace the tranny. I'd stay away.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...

Gripen5 posted:

I thought he was selling it for $2 just to get rid of it, but even at $2000, if it is something simple, it seems like a nice car.

If it's only $2 bucks, gently caress it, go for it. As Pilsner said, it may be sticky solenoid/valves, which are pretty cheap when I did it to my 94 740il years ago. Otherwise, if that doesn't fix it, you can probably make more money off it from one of those yards that will pay you for scrap cars. Or part out whats left that is good. $2 seems fishy though.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

Fermunky posted:

If it's only $2 bucks, gently caress it, go for it. As Pilsner said, it may be sticky solenoid/valves, which are pretty cheap when I did it to my 94 740il years ago. Otherwise, if that doesn't fix it, you can probably make more money off it from one of those yards that will pay you for scrap cars. Or part out whats left that is good. $2 seems fishy though.

I think its a typo. Towards the bottom of the listing it randomly says "$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$2000$$$$$$$$$$$$$$," so I am guessing its not as good a deal as I thought.

I think I am going to avoid it for many reasons. The first and foremost being that I really want a fun/project/learning car, and I want it to be a RWD manual coupe (that isn't a miata), and this fits very few of those criteria. But I always like BMWs and figured I would at least ask. If I could fix it and make a few bucks while learning something, I though it would be fun to do, but I don't think replacing a tranny is something I want to do as my first major project. And if the guy is honest about it, then it may be far more complicated than just a transmission anyway.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Gripen5 posted:

The first and foremost being that I really want a fun/project/learning car, and I want it to be a RWD manual coupe (that isn't a miata), and this fits very few of those criteria.

I just did a quick search of your craigslist, and this would be more up your alley

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/cto/2082608949.html

That fits your criteria quite nicely. I am jelous because I wish there was more E34's in my area.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I just did a quick search of your craigslist, and this would be more up your alley

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/cto/2082608949.html

That fits your criteria quite nicely. I am jelous because I wish there was more E34's in my area.

I also saw these two:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/cto/2083348371.html

http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/cto/2081890147.html

But I am a little hesitant because I don't have a driveway/garage, and spending money on an luxury item/money sink is always a hard decision for me.

Edit: Also, BMWs are a dime a dozen in the NYC area, which I guess is good for me, when I finally decide to pull the trigger.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

Oh, well hooray for me not reading the listing. Yeah, I'd stay away from a 12-13 year old 7 series with transmission problems then.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
7 series BMWs of that era are the ones I always see suspiciously cheap in the scummy dealerships in Toronto. So tempting but probably so broken.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Gripen5 posted:

I think its a typo. Towards the bottom of the listing it randomly says "$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$2000$$$$$$$$$$$$$$," so I am guessing its not as good a deal as I thought.

I think I am going to avoid it for many reasons. The first and foremost being that I really want a fun/project/learning car, and I want it to be a RWD manual coupe (that isn't a miata), and this fits very few of those criteria. But I always like BMWs and figured I would at least ask. If I could fix it and make a few bucks while learning something, I though it would be fun to do, but I don't think replacing a tranny is something I want to do as my first major project. And if the guy is honest about it, then it may be far more complicated than just a transmission anyway.

The E38 looks badass, but it is a bit over the top. Unless you get a newer V12 version, they have the same power as an E34/E39, but weigh a lot more, and quite frankly are unnecessarily bigger. An E34 is lighter, cheaper and a decent amount simpler than an E38. That NYC 530 looks really nice.

Just don't expect it to work flawlessly and never develop any problems, because it will. That's the price you pay for getting an old, luxurious, high-powered car for so little money down. Well worth it, in my opinion.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Pilsner posted:

The E38 looks badass, but it is a bit over the top. Unless you get a newer V12 version, they have the same power as an E34/E39, but weigh a lot more, and quite frankly are unnecessarily bigger.

They really are bigger too. I saw one the other day and it makes my E34 look like a midget. My E34 would probably be classified as a mid-size these days but the sheer length of the E38 is impressive. Its acres of car.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

Fermunky posted:

Oh, well hooray for me not reading the listing. Yeah, I'd stay away from a 12-13 year old 7 series with transmission problems then.

Its cool, I was just hoping it was one of those "sounds horrible but is actually quite common and just an easy sensor change" sort of problems, but I figured that was unlikely. No harm in asking I guess.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Pilsner posted:

The E38 looks badass, but it is a bit over the top. Unless you get a newer V12 version, they have the same power as an E34/E39, but weigh a lot more, and quite frankly are unnecessarily bigger. An E34 is lighter, cheaper and a decent amount simpler than an E38. That NYC 530 looks really nice.

Just don't expect it to work flawlessly and never develop any problems, because it will. That's the price you pay for getting an old, luxurious, high-powered car for so little money down. Well worth it, in my opinion.

Thanks for the explanation. At this point I am primarily looking for an E34 or E36. The 530i looks loving sweet, but I'm not sure I could realistically get almost $4000 before the end of the year, especially with my other obligations.

Gripen5 fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Dec 2, 2010

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

I actually loved the size of my e32 740il. I've always loved sedans and bigger was better. The "L" on the 7's (do any of them NOT have L anymore?) are the ones with more leg room in the back seat. Even when the front passenger seat was available, my friends enjoyed the back seats much more.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Fermunky posted:

I actually loved the size of my e32 740il. I've always loved sedans and bigger was better. The "L" on the 7's (do any of them NOT have L anymore?) are the ones with more leg room in the back seat. Even when the front passenger seat was available, my friends enjoyed the back seats much more.

In America? I don't think we got any of the non L variants, or if we did, they were pretty rare. There are a bunch of E32/E38's in Wichita and I'm pretty sure all but one or 2 is a 740iL and the other two are 750iLs.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Jorsh posted:

Sent you a PM

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

rscott posted:

In America? I don't think we got any of the non L variants, or if we did, they were pretty rare. There are a bunch of E32/E38's in Wichita and I'm pretty sure all but one or 2 is a 740iL and the other two are 750iLs.

E32 735i's were pretty common around my area here in Tampa, but yeah most were L's.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Tentacle Party posted:

To tide me over until then, I request a picture dump from the E30 owners in this thread.

316i touring
+
'91 M42 from an -is
-is seats
B4s/Eibach pro kit
World's largest strut brace.

e: diamantshwarzmetallic (my schwarz is bigger than your schwarz etc)

ee: grey w/ houndstooth...blue? wut?

Saga fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 2, 2010

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Fermunky posted:

Yeah, I'd stay away from a 12-13 year old [any]7 series with transmission problems then.
There's a reason used out-of-warranty 7s are so cheap, regardless of what year they are.

rscott posted:

I've seen long and short wheelbase versions of every 7 when I was working at a BMW dealership (Baltimore/DC area). The L models are definitely more popular, though. The last few years of the E6x didn't have a 760i, which was a shame. The 760i sport package was a sexy beast.

Pimpsolo
Jun 6, 2004

Check it out. I finally picked up a set of Style 5s for the e46. I've always wanted them, and I found them on craigslist. They came with 255/40, which was crazy. I kept em on the back, and replaced the fronts with 225/45 and they sit perfect now. I'm really happy with the outcome. Whenever I'm done with these tires, I'm going to disassemble the wheels and polish them, but for now I'll ride em like this:

Click here for the full 1963x1473 image.

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Gripen5 posted:

I'd probably skip it just because I can't seem to find a valve body rebuild kit for a 5hp24 like there is for the older 5hp30.

Edit: Nevermind, the parts are out there.

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 2, 2010

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Lowclock posted:

I'd probably skip it just because I can't seem to find a valve body rebuild kit for a 5hp24 like there is for the older 5hp30.
You're probably not going to find much in the way of repair parts for "newer" automatics. BMW's philosophy is to replace the whole thing, after they authorize it, of course.

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010
Just looked at a 2000 528i off of craiglist. Bonus was the girl that owned it was really easy to look at. The car had 145k. She is a college student and has been paying for repairs on it since April and it finally broke her.

Poor thing (car not girl) had no oil in it. Not one loving drop. Was not low on oil it was completely void of oil. Engine was hot as hell but the temp gauge was fine.

I told her she should park it and once I got off work I would carry her to get some and refill it for her. She said she would just go get some. I tried not to be a creepy old man (I am) but told her she really needed to get to a parts store or oil change place ASAP. I have never pulled out a dipstick and it been completely dry. Is there a chance the tube could somehow be blocked?

About that time the old ball and chain showed up. I talked to her for a while and told the girl the wife would drive her to get the oil. Girl said she didn't want to be any trouble and the oil change place was just a few blocks away, which was true.

She told me the transmission had just been flushed (uh oh). The car had a couple of cosmetic things wrong. I told her at $3500 it was probably priced right and I might be a buyer at $3000 if she couldn't pick up 3500 after a few days. Air blew cold, shocks were not bad at all, brake lights were on, but I always add a brake job in anyway. Pads and rotor for 5's are pretty cheap. Assuming I can get this thing for $3k and put another $1500 in it - fixing VANOS, cooling system as I could not find any evidence of a new radiator, brakes and a few other things, I think I might have a decent car.

I am surely an idiot for thinking this. The girl was not THAT cute, just kind of a sweet kid. I should mention my downside is a little limited in that I have a fairly fresh 540i that is the exact same color and could use a new hood, front fender and rear door, all of which are pristine on the girl's car. That may turn a $3000 mistake into a $1500 mistake if I swapped those parts out and parted the rest out. But I know I am too stubborn for that. I'd also rather have my 16 year old driving the 528, assuming I can get it something approaching road worthy.

What do you guys think? Is this some new craigslist scam of getting a hot girl to front a sale and sucker me in?

Tongsy
Aug 22, 2007

EvellSnoats posted:

What do you guys think? Is this some new craigslist scam of getting a hot girl to front a sale and sucker me in?

I wouldn't be surprised if her story was true and she was just an idiot that didn't know how to take care of a car.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Tongsy posted:

she was just an idiot that didn't know how to take care of a car.

This seems quite likely to me. Doesn't mean it's worth buying with an engine filled only with sludge and the residue of 30,000 mile old oil.

Pimpsolo, you have excellent taste in wheels. I always wanted those for my 330 coupe. Just couldn't justify the price. :(

tesko.pk
May 7, 2009

Pimpsolo posted:

Check it out. I finally picked up a set of Style 5s for the e46. I've always wanted them, and I found them on craigslist. They came with 255/40, which was crazy. I kept em on the back, and replaced the fronts with 225/45 and they sit perfect now. I'm really happy with the outcome. Whenever I'm done with these tires, I'm going to disassemble the wheels and polish them, but for now I'll ride em like this:

Click here for the full 1963x1473 image.

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

Congrats, Style 5's are top-shelf IMO :tipshat:! I also picked up a set, but im using them for winter right now, swapped the BMW Roundels with BBS center caps [http://imgur.com/ggENV.jpg].
Really love the pre-facelift coupes with M-Tech I, such clean lines. What are you dropped on?

ECS Tuning just put their reflectors on sale by the way,
[http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=808218]
in case you wanted to switch from your ambers.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Couldn't disagree more on the style 5's...look bad on e36's, even worse on an e46.

Offsets up front look bad too.

Pimpsolo
Jun 6, 2004

tesko.pk posted:

Congrats, Style 5's are top-shelf IMO :tipshat:! I also picked up a set, but im using them for winter right now, swapped the BMW Roundels with BBS center caps [http://imgur.com/ggENV.jpg].
Really love the pre-facelift coupes with M-Tech I, such clean lines. What are you dropped on?

ECS Tuning just put their reflectors on sale by the way,
[http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=808218]
in case you wanted to switch from your ambers.

Thanks, actually I'm on the factory sport springs. I think that combined with the abnormally large tires (and almost no tire gap) on the back makes it look lower than it is.

I was going to reply to your post earlier firstly with a compliment, but secondly with the most important question, why style5s for winter wheels???

Also thanks for the ECS tip. Last week I literally had that in my basket when it was full price, and eventually closed the tab wasn't motivated to do it later. I will now for sure.

BraveUlysses posted:

I'm a giant dick.

Just kidding, yeah, I was skeptical about getting them for the e46. I will say that I totally disagree with you about style 5s on e36's. I don't think there's any wheel in the world that compliments the e36 better. To each his own.

That said, I couldn't pass up the deal. I looked for pictures of e46s on style5s, almost couldn't find any coupes at all, and very few sedans.

When I first put them on, I was slightly disappointed, and I thought they looked mediocre. After getting correct size tires in the front, I almost can't stop staring at the car. I should also mention that that first picture does make the offset look bad, but I can assure you that the factory reccomended tread fits totally under the fender, with no rub, or poke.

To defend my position that there's no better wheel for e36's I submit:

Click here for the full 1024x681 image.

Click here for the full 900x600 image.

Click here for the full 720x477 image.

Click here for the full 1024x605 image.

*drool*

ozziegt
Jul 8, 2005

cool under pressure

Pimpsolo posted:

To defend my position that there's no better wheel for e36's I submit:

*drool*

Clearly, taste is totally subjective... :)

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

BraveUlysses posted:

Couldn't disagree more on the style 5's...look bad on e36's, even worse on an e46.

Offsets up front look bad too.

Agreed. I mean to each his own and all. I wanted bbses for my e46 coupe until I saw those pics. I'll stick with style 161s that the po put on it :whatup:

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Style 5s should stay on the E36.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So the free E30 isn't actually an E30...it's an 1988 E34 535i! However, apparently it's pretty shagged. I haven't had chance to check it out yet, but in general, am I asking for unmitigated pain trying to get a knackered one back into good nick?

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

2ndclasscitizen posted:

So the free E30 isn't actually an E30...it's an 1988 E34 535i! However, apparently it's pretty shagged. I haven't had chance to check it out yet, but in general, am I asking for unmitigated pain trying to get a knackered one back into good nick?

E34 535i's rule. Especially if it's a five speed. Worth it if you want to dive head first into working on BMW's

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

2ndclasscitizen posted:

You just scored even higher. It's just a bigger E30 with a bigger, more fun motor that likes the boost more. Interior bits are harder to come by, but it'll be just as much hassle to work on as an E30, maybe slightly more.

If it's free, you can't go wrong.

Pimpsolo
Jun 6, 2004

Taco Box posted:

I wanted bbses for my e46 coupe until I saw those pics.

Haha, like any Bangle product, you'd just have to see it in real life to appreciate it. Also, it may take years before it doesn't look ugly. One day you'll all see.

I've had my car for I think two years now, and never ever been approched by anyone about it (unlike my e30s). I put the style 5s on, and already asked at a stop light about them, and at a gas station "nice car."

I also think they make tesko.pk look really slick, and I don't typically like the look of e46 sedans at all.

They were cheaper than getting new tires for my stock style 68 ///////M wheels, which I think really age the car.

Either way, my next car will be a 318ti(to motor swap) or z3 coupe (whichever I can find first), which is what I really bought them for anyway, so destructo will likely get his way.

Ya'll are crazy

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

I really really want to find a set of 8 series style 5's for my E23

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

I crunched my e28.

Honestly, the second thought I had after it happened was "gently caress am I glad I didn't break the headlight!" CSRs are not cheap. (First thought was "poo poo.")

I picked up a replacement passenger door and right front fender today from Absolute German. The guy pulling parts had a awesome trick for defeating the (legitimately) SUPERIOR GERMAN ADHESIVES that bond the fender to the wheel arch: He grabbed a machete (from where? I looked away for a second, and when I looked back GIANT KNIFE) and hammered it down the seam between two pieces. Worked like a dream. I've seen paint scrapers and putty knives used, but never a goddamn machete.

This weekend I'll probably swap the innards from my door over to the donor door and bolt it up, so I at least have a passenger mirror again. I'm thinking of leaving the war wounds on the fender and hood in place until winter passes, as I'll be doing a ton of driving in the snow to go boarding, and I know that if I shell out the cash to get it fixed now, some asswipe is going to undo it post-haste. Murphy's law.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Wombot posted:

crunch

That sucks.
Are you taking pictures of the replacement process?
I haven't seen any write ups on it and it would be interesting to see what's involved.

Anyways...

Continuing with the fine tradition of e30 pictures, marvel at this "for sale" work of art

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

only $5000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tesko.pk
May 7, 2009

Pimpsolo posted:

I was going to reply to your post earlier firstly with a compliment, but secondly with the most important question, why style5s for winter wheels???
Story is, swapped my 320's brakes this summer with 330 front, and 325 rear brakes, then realized this fall that my winter set of 16" stock wheels would no longer clear the front brakes (a mild facepalm moment).
Scoured kijiji for a while (Canadian version of eBay classifieds which is especially popular in my province) and found this set of Style 5's off an E39 for $500! The rubber wasnt very good, and one of the tires had a huuuuge sidewall puncture (and therefore some ugly curbing on that rim), and the clearcoat is peeling all the way around.

So since they cleared my brakes, weren't bent, and ran pretty cheap, I threw em on for winter! Wrapped them in some brand new Blizzak WS70's (215/45), and haven't regretted it since. Those WS70's are fantastic up here in Canada in case anyone was wondering. I actually have a guy coming by tomorrow to possibly trade me some 17" wheels off his old 7-series for my old 16" winters. With any luck they'll be a staggered set of Style 5's, and I can have a set for both summer and winter :D.