Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized

Everyone posted:

Awesome bass advice

Thanks everyone for chiming in, now I have a good starting point for trying stuff out.

I'm not a 'working' musician in the case of making a profit and doing it for a living but I am in a band and practice 1-2 times a week in a 3-5 piece, gig out occasionally and jam with friends at home.

I've only owned cheaper Ibanez basses. It'd be nice to have a "lifer". I'm currently playing an Ibanez SR 500 (2x Bartolini Mk II's) but I'm having trouble getting certain sounds out of it. I like how P basses sound but also want the clanky goodness of Geddy and Geezer. Maybe I need a Rickenbacker and a normal P bass double necked somehow :D

Fender Deluxe and Aerodyne look great. Never played a Lakland, will definitely have to check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pehther
Feb 12, 2008
So...I took my next step to bassdom today. Went into GC to play with a few of the top contenders. Didn't have time to get the help I'd have needed to play the CV 60's J or the VM Jag, which were my top two picks, but I've got plenty of time to do that. I did play around with the VM P and VM J as well as the CV P, and they were fun until...

I picked up a Sterling. I think it was the Ray34 but I'm not sure looking at the website. In store it was 600, so it might be the SB14. It was white, and neither model comes in white on GC's site.

Amazing difference...might have to save up more and go a little bigger. I suppose the active electronics are what makes it so responsive, but the sound quality was completely different. Hopefully I'll find one used.

Edit: Don't click things before you're done typing.

Pehther fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 1, 2010

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Holy poo poo; I've just gotta say - from a "wanting to understand the basics of music theory" mindset - the bass is awesome.

I spent a few months teaching myself some theory on guitar - yada yada. Picked up a bass a week ago; and TONS of poo poo just clicked. Funny how that one funky tuning can mess with an imbecile like me. Hmph.

Just saying; I'm a really really happy guy right now. And I've totally fallen in love with bass.

totally shoulda used a keyboard for learning from the get-go. oopsies.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

^ agreed, although it might just be continued exposure in my case, rather than a eureka brought upon specifically by the bass.

Spent an hour practising this and I feel like a boss:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ftb-LX4UMHg

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
For all his talk about being "tight" that guy was sloppy/off beat imo =\

MolluskGoneBad
Feb 25, 2002

Scarf posted:

For all his talk about being "tight" that guy was sloppy/off beat imo =\
Man you're not kidding. The best is where he misses the 1 and says "tight!" He's also playing the guitar line instead of the bassline for one of the sections, which creates a lame unison feel with the guitar instead of the funky push/pull on the recording.

The Will, I'm not sure whether the youtube was just an example of what you were playing or if you learned from there, but transcribe it yourself, don't rely on youtube amateurs to teach you things. You'll learn the part right and hone your ear instead of ingraining bad habits and bad time.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

MolluskGoneBad posted:

Man you're not kidding. The best is where he misses the 1 and says "tight!" He's also playing the guitar line instead of the bassline for one of the sections, which creates a lame unison feel with the guitar instead of the funky push/pull on the recording.

The Will, I'm not sure whether the youtube was just an example of what you were playing or if you learned from there, but transcribe it yourself, don't rely on youtube amateurs to teach you things. You'll learn the part right and hone your ear instead of ingraining bad habits and bad time.

Yup. His main problem is that he isn't making use of the hammer-ons that are used in the original line. He's trying to pluck every single note and unless you're really fast with amazing touch, that just isn't going to happen and is going to cause you to drag behind the beat.

His second mistake is playing it in that position. It's much easier, and gives a better, more rounded sound if played up on the 5th fret of the E-string.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Also, I've probably posted this video at least 2-3 times in this thread before... but if you want to play funk, skip the disco and head straight for NOLA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAJtmDQBvF8

Pehther
Feb 12, 2008

Scarf posted:

Also, I've probably posted this video at least 2-3 times in this thread before... but if you want to play funk, skip the disco and head straight for NOLA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAJtmDQBvF8

Things like that reaffirm my belief that I'm pursuing the right instrument.

Though I'm rather unhappy that GC has 15% off Sterlings. I don't have the money yet and it'd be 90 bucks off...

black_mastermind
Oct 30, 2008

Pehther posted:

Things like that reaffirm my belief that I'm pursuing the right instrument.

Though I'm rather unhappy that GC has 15% off Sterlings. I don't have the money yet and it'd be 90 bucks off...

If you're in to that sort of thing, you should be able to find Music Man SUB basses all day long for $500 used. The SUB was EBMM's attempt at an American-made "budget" model from a few years back. They aren't the prettiest basses, but they are an incredible bang for the buck. They have a two band active preamp and a slab body kind of like the current "reissue" Stingrays, except they were painted in almost a truck bed liner finish. If you ever run across one, definitely check it out! I have one and it is one of my favorite basses.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

black_mastermind posted:

If you're in to that sort of thing, you should be able to find Music Man SUB basses all day long for $500 used. The SUB was EBMM's attempt at an American-made "budget" model from a few years back. They aren't the prettiest basses, but they are an incredible bang for the buck. They have a two band active preamp and a slab body kind of like the current "reissue" Stingrays, except they were painted in almost a truck bed liner finish. If you ever run across one, definitely check it out! I have one and it is one of my favorite basses.

The EBMM SUB seems like a much better choice over the Sterling series, but all I've ever seen used around me is the one that comes with a diamond plate steel pick guard.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
All of the big pickguard makers do MM replacements- you should be able to get one in any colour you want for like $30.

Pehther
Feb 12, 2008

black_mastermind posted:

I "think" they have one at my local GC for 900ish. I might be totally wrong on this, as I can't find it on the GC website. If it was at the same price level as the ray34 I would definitely try it out. That thing was miles above the Squiers I tried.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Pehther posted:

I "think" they have one at my local GC for 900ish. I might be totally wrong on this, as I can't find it on the GC website. If it was at the same price level as the ray34 I would definitely try it out. That thing was miles above the Squiers I tried.

Well it IS about double the price-point...

Pehther
Feb 12, 2008

Scarf posted:

Well it IS about double the price-point...

Well, I know that. I was trying out the stuff I was planning on buying (total entry level) and decided to play something another level above. It changed my opinion enough to want to change my base price. I'm dying to buy something, but if I can get something even better at around the same price...bah.

I hate making GBS threads this thread up with my waffling. I'll try to back off until I find something I can afford.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Pehther posted:

Well, I know that. I was trying out the stuff I was planning on buying (total entry level) and decided to play something another level above. It changed my opinion enough to want to change my base price. I'm dying to buy something, but if I can get something even better at around the same price...bah.

I hate making GBS threads this thread up with my waffling. I'll try to back off until I find something I can afford.

Pro tip: Buy used.

I got my first Lakland (before they got a lot more popular) for an amazing price because I bought used.

If you like the EBMM sound/feel, you may be able to find a used SUB or even an actual Stingray/Sterling for not too much more than you would spend for a new SBMM bass.

EDIT: Oh, and don't forget to try out G&L and its Tribute line. In the same vein as the EBMM, but I prefer their sound/feel much more.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Dec 3, 2010

Pehther
Feb 12, 2008

Scarf posted:

Pro tip: Buy used.

I got my first Lakland (before they got a lot more popular) for an amazing price because I bought used.

If you like the EBMM sound/feel, you may be able to find a used SUB or even an actual Stingray/Sterling for not too much more than you would spend for a new SBMM bass.

EDIT: Oh, and don't forget to try out G&L and its Tribute line. In the same vein as the EBMM, but I prefer their sound/feel much more.

Just a matter of luck, I suppose. I'll keep my eyes open.

Edit: Is there enough of a difference between SBMM and EBMM SUB to hold out for it?

vvv I appreciate the advice. I can't wait to get my hands on one.

Pehther fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 3, 2010

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Pehther posted:

That's pretty much all it takes. Usually you won't have to wait too long unless there's something incredibly unique/obscure you're looking for. Talkbass dot com's sales forum is a well-spring of great used gear for reasonable prices.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Welp, I just put in an order for a pile of guitar upgrades. My 12 year-old Squier P-Bass Special (red) is getting new tuners, bridge, knobs (all black), pearloid pickguard and GFS P+J pickups. Also :siren: black pickguard screws!! :siren:

The only question that remains is whether or not to go ahead with defretting it. I wanted to do so years ago but never bothered, but now it's so old and the frets are worn down and uneven and...dare I? :ohdear:

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
Finally broke down and bought a used VT Bass without trying it first. I've been wanting a bit more character out of my GK combo, plus I had an empty spot on my pedalboard. I thought about going for the deluxe, but I don't think I need that many options. At least if I don't like it I'll be able to sell it in 5 minutes on the TB classifieds.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Narwhale posted:

Finally broke down and bought a used VT Bass without trying it first. I've been wanting a bit more character out of my GK combo, plus I had an empty spot on my pedalboard. I thought about going for the deluxe, but I don't think I need that many options. At least if I don't like it I'll be able to sell it in 5 minutes on the TB classifieds.

Nice! My first bit of advice is to not look at any of the suggested settings on the little card/manual that came with it (if it did), they're really not that good.

There are several threads on talkbass that have wonderful settings from all the users that you can try out. Also, 12'oclock on the knobs does not equal a Flat EQ... there's a thread about that as well.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I think I may have some kind of repetitive stress poo poo in my arm. When I've played recently, I get a funny kind of semi-painful, uh, "stretching" feeling from my left (fretting) ring finger down my forearm.

I'm loving terrified that I might be loving my hands up permanently, what should I do? :ohdear:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Geisladisk posted:

I think I may have some kind of repetitive stress poo poo in my arm. When I've played recently, I get a funny kind of semi-painful, uh, "stretching" feeling from my left (fretting) ring finger down my forearm.

I'm loving terrified that I might be loving my hands up permanently, what should I do? :ohdear:

First would be to check your form. Are you keeping your wrist primarily straight when fretting?

Hekat
Aug 27, 2006
WAEE!
Brand shiney newb question here; I'm wondering how folks get that evil overdrive sound out of their bass. Is it a pedal? From the way some people describe it I get the impression that it's some combination of knob settings on the amp.

Colin Ex Machina
Oct 16, 2004
I adopted a highway.
Time is coming soon where I'm going to have to invest in a legit head/cab. I think I'm going to wind up going with a new or old Acoustic head (would prefer to buy used of course, but if I can't come up with something locally for under 300 I'll just suck it up and get the B200H head) but I'm kind of clueless on cabs. Kind of had a 2x12 in mind, used if at all possible, but I'm highly suggestible!

I've only played out of combos and practice amps up to this point. My only real requirement is that it take effects and fuzz well.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
jesus the bassline to Whip It is so much fun to play

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

quote:

Since we’ve been sending out the NAMM Specials we’ve decided to pre-announce a product that will be debuting at the show – the new Tone Hammer 500. This 3.8 lb amp will have 500 Aguilar watts of power and has the same powerful preamp section as the Tone Hammer. It’s warm, full, and sounds much bigger than it’s small size suggests!

Nice.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
VERY nice... I can't wait to hear that.

black_mastermind
Oct 30, 2008

Pehther posted:

Edit: Is there enough of a difference between SBMM and EBMM SUB to hold out for it?

vvv I appreciate the advice. I can't wait to get my hands on one.

Well, the SUB was made in the USA at the EBMM factory, right next to the rest of the EBMM stuff. I have played a few of the SBMM basses, and while they seemed to be fine instruments, the ability to get a real live American-made SUB for LESS than the SBMM stuff costs makes it something to at the very least check out.

Of course, I am somewhat biased- my SUB is one of my all time favorite basses, I love that that thing.

Seriously, though- to echo what others have said, buy used!

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
Does anyone else in here have problems with their hands sweating too much when they jam? It always seems to throw me off when I attempt faster things. I'm actually sorta worried about it because if they are getting sweaty when I'm in a comfortable place how bad would it get if I'm on stage with a bunch of lights on me. I'm right handed and for the most part this is only affecting my fretting hand(left, dur). Anyone use fingerless gloves? My palm is the main problem when I go to jump around the neck sometimes it can make me slide too fast or too slow, so my thinking is if I can get used to wearing a glove maybe that will solve that. I don't have any gloves.. either. :blush:

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized
I keep a pack of blackboard chalk sticks in my gig bag for that exact reason. Just a little bit goes a long way. I'm fine during practice but auditions, gigs, anything where it's a little more pressure I can find my hand sticking to my neck. Just snap one in half and rub it on your palm a bit.

If you're sweating gallons out of your hand then gloves might be the way to go. Maybe antiperspirant rubbed on the palms? Who knows!

Drewcifer
Jan 21, 2006

I like to play drums and kill things.
After playing drums off and on for the past 20 years or so, I decided it was time to expand my horizons and learn how to play bass. I picked up a Rogue LX200BL for $119.99, being a lefty limited my selection and this looked like a decent starter. For an amp, I picked up a Marshall MB15 for $124.85, free shipping on the pair! I think I got a good deal but I basically know fuckall about this stuff so what do you guys think? I also picked up a kit that has a gig bag, tuner, picks, cord, headphones, and a strap for $50. My younger brother plays 6 string and has agreed to help me get started so it looks like I'll be good to go when everything arrives. Did I mention that I can play John the Fisherman on Expert (Playstation 2 tho so I must admit I'm a bit rusty)? I should have NO problems right?! :)

All joking aside, I can't wait for everything to get here so I can get to practicing! I've been tossing over the idea of picking up bass mostly because I can't play the drums where I live. After mulling it over for the better part of a month I took the plunge and bought everything earlier today. This thread looks like a pretty good resource so I'll bookmark it and check back regularly. And if anyone has any advice for a drummer making the switch, I'm all ears. Thanks in advance!

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Scarf posted:

First would be to check your form. Are you keeping your wrist primarily straight when fretting?

No, now that you mention it. I guess this is the first thing I should fix. Is there anything else I should look for?

I could post a video of my playing? I've never been to a teacher, so as far as I know, I could be doing it all wrong.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Alright. Looking for suggestions (though I'll be starting with instructor next week too..)

I've been playing around; finding songs that move around the fretboard a lot and move between strings. Getting pretty comfortable and able to play along with a good many songs.

Where I'm getting mucked up is those songs with the Root/Octave or Root/Fifth pattern. I'm well aware of the importance of these guys - so I'm looking for suggestions on songs with a steady beat / not super loving fast that I can work on to practice the string skipping.

The fifth isnt too bad really, I can play Nirvana-Come as You Are which uses that pattern a whole lot (to be fair; only really at one spot); but god drat that extra string in between totally throw my rhythm (and technique) through a loop.

Too many words.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

Walked posted:

Where I'm getting mucked up is those songs with the Root/Octave or Root/Fifth pattern. I'm well aware of the importance of these guys - so I'm looking for suggestions on songs with a steady beat / not super loving fast that I can work on to practice the string skipping.

Rainbow's Long Live Rock n' Roll is mostly just jumping from root to the octave at a steady pace. I can upload the guitar pro file with the right tablatures later today if you want to try it out.

EDIT: Here's the file.

These Loving Eyes fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 4, 2010

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Geisladisk posted:

No, now that you mention it. I guess this is the first thing I should fix. Is there anything else I should look for?

I could post a video of my playing? I've never been to a teacher, so as far as I know, I could be doing it all wrong.

On this subject, what should your plucking arm be doing? It's more comfortable to let my forearm rest on the edge of the body, but I know I should be keeping my wrist straight - trouble is that means elevating my arm like I'm doing the robot, and it feels tiring after a while

Pehther
Feb 12, 2008

Scarf posted:

So I'm planning on heading to another local GC today to try out the one used G&L I can find, but it's a five string. Will that severely change my learning curve if I buy that as my first bass? (not that I'm in any shape to buy today, but maybe in a couple weeks).

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
There's no reason to start on a four string if you feel like you'll eventually want to play a five.

For string skipping work, get this book: Bass Fitness. It hurts, but it's great.

Taxxorrak
Jul 22, 2008

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

For string skipping work, get this book: Bass Fitness. It hurts, but it's great.
I'm assuming you mean that your muscles get tired, and not that it actually hurts. Because it shouldn't hurt, and if it does, stop at once and stretch out. But yeah, excercises like that are great for developing cordination if you don't mind the whole methodbook-approach! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

These Loving Eyes posted:

Rainbow's Long Live Rock n' Roll is mostly just jumping from root to the octave at a steady pace. I can upload the guitar pro file with the right tablatures later today if you want to try it out.

EDIT: Here's the file.

Thank you; thats awesome - I appreciate it. Dont know the song; but I will soon. Looks like exactly what I need.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

There's no reason to start on a four string if you feel like you'll eventually want to play a five.

Bass Fitness is on my shopping list for this weekend :)

edit: Anyone have rhythm exercise suggestions? Quarter notes; and eighth notes I'm generally okay. Adding rests (especially on the quarter notes) or swing notes just goes right and fucks me up. Exercises, metronome work, etc - I've got a drum machine, so I'm totally open to suggestions.

Walked fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 5, 2010