Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

When I think of toys I think of the velveteen rabbit. In order to be reincarnated into a real object you must first be burned up. Thus if Mr. Potato head ever was killed he would become a real potato.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Is the montage ending of Jennifer's Body an homage to something? It seems incredibly familiar but I can't place it.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

It probably stems from the Potato Head origins since originally the body parts were the toy and they were meant to be just stuck into a potato or other food object. The body is irrelevant.

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

I just watched There Will be Blood for the first time, would really like to read the original thread from 2007 but couldn't find it. Can anyone lend a hand?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

HKS posted:

I just watched There Will be Blood for the first time, would really like to read the original thread from 2007 but couldn't find it. Can anyone lend a hand?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2618651

CHOICE COD
Mar 11, 2007
Sometimes I'll eat money. Just to do it. Just to see how it feels. It feels good, it feels powerful.
Recently in a few movies I've noticed that the aspect ratio is different while the opening credits are on screen. You can see what I mean in "Marathon Man", it switches at 2:20: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zp_ESOSRtM#t=2m10s

This also happens in "Raging Bull" and, most jarringly, "Putney Swope", where the credits don't start until about 10 minutes in then the ratio switches from 16:9 to 4:3 then back again. What's the deal? Was it a way to sort of standardize the credits to accommodate different theatre screen sizes or something?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

CHOICE COD posted:

Recently in a few movies I've noticed that the aspect ratio is different while the opening credits are on screen. You can see what I mean in "Marathon Man", it switches at 2:20: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zp_ESOSRtM#t=2m10s

This also happens in "Raging Bull" and, most jarringly, "Putney Swope", where the credits don't start until about 10 minutes in then the ratio switches from 16:9 to 4:3 then back again. What's the deal? Was it a way to sort of standardize the credits to accommodate different theatre screen sizes or something?

I would think it's for television although some films had it vice versa for TV (letterbox credits then "full screen" movie)

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Island Nation posted:

I would think it's for television although some films had it vice versa for TV (letterbox credits then "full screen" movie)

Or if they were feeling saucy they'd smush the credits into 4:3 and make everything look anorexic.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Zogo posted:

When I think of toys I think of the velveteen rabbit. In order to be reincarnated into a real object you must first be burned up. Thus if Mr. Potato head ever was killed he would become a real potato.

Sorry, I just lurk this thread sometimes, but I needed to tell you that you just made my otherwise rather boring evening.
:golfclap:

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Just watched Winter's Bone. Still trying to figure out the bit where Ree has to cut her dad's hands off, but she's told that she has to have both hands otherwise the cops will think her dad cut one hand off to avoid prison. What exactly does that mean - something to do with not having a full set of fingerprints?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So when I was putting out the Sorcerer's Apprentice Dvds out Monday night I noticed the cover

They have photo-shopped Jay Baruchel's Jew out. He looks like Ewan Mcgregor on the cover.

Whats up with that? Is there any other instances of posters/dvds/video covers completely changing the look of one of the actors? I know there's the famous Serenity River "space whore" cover, but she didn't suddenly look like a League of German Girls recruitment poster.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

twistedmentat posted:

So when I was putting out the Sorcerer's Apprentice Dvds out Monday night I noticed the cover

They have photo-shopped Jay Baruchel's Jew out. He looks like Ewan Mcgregor on the cover.

Whats up with that? Is there any other instances of posters/dvds/video covers completely changing the look of one of the actors? I know there's the famous Serenity River "space whore" cover, but she didn't suddenly look like a League of German Girls recruitment poster.

To be fair, you can't even tell that's Nicholas Cage.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Encryptic posted:

Just watched Winter's Bone. Still trying to figure out the bit where Ree has to cut her dad's hands off, but she's told that she has to have both hands otherwise the cops will think her dad cut one hand off to avoid prison. What exactly does that mean - something to do with not having a full set of fingerprints?

Both hands is probably more conclusive proof that he's dead. If he was desperate enough he could easily just lop a hand off and give it to her, but cops are probably far less willing to believe the guy would cut both of his hands off just to avoid prison time.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

Both hands is probably more conclusive proof that he's dead. If he was desperate enough he could easily just lop a hand off and give it to her, but cops are probably far less willing to believe the guy would cut both of his hands off just to avoid prison time.

Ahhhh. Good point. Thanks.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

twistedmentat posted:

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Kiera Knightly also got touched up in King Arthur and then later made it known that she'd declined to have alterations done for The Duchess.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Why have I seen so many posts explaining/arguing about The Prestige? It's complicated while you're watching it, but after the ending everything is laid out in a completely unambiguous manner. Same with Inception, it all fits together. Do people just not pay attention?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Fatkraken posted:

Why have I seen so many posts explaining/arguing about The Prestige? It's complicated while you're watching it, but after the ending everything is laid out in a completely unambiguous manner. Same with Inception, it all fits together. Do people just not pay attention?
It's partly that and partly people looking for some final secret twist which doesn't exist.

Like Borden's brother being a clone and not a twin.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

Its funny to compare and contrast the original trailers for this and the commercials that Disney is putting out now for it. The trailers made it look like a kind of dark mostly serious action movie while the commercials are all playing up this peppy family fun vibe.

Of course this was a problem within the movie itself as it had wild mood swings from serious to goofy.

SynthesizerKaiser
Jan 28, 2009
BOOSTER JUICE
I haven't seen the video for 30 Seconds to Mars - Hurricane posted anywhere in Cinema Discussio. I would talk about this in No Music Discussion but I think it's better off here.

Right now I've found a 13 minute cut of the video, censored unfortunately (but still nsfw), here. (hey, nsfw) It's an interesting video. In an interview with MTV Jared Leto explained, "I just think it's interesting that when you turn on the news or whatever else catches your interest, how much violence and negativity is available out there. As soon as it comes time for sexuality, it's a big shock that people are sexual beings. It's an interesting double standard to me."

The narrative in the video appears kind of non-sequitur to me and so I was hoping some of you would watch it and try interpreting it if you think it's neat. Thusfar I think the part with Jared Leto being chased by the gimp with the hammer is about facing sexuality and not running from it, because while he spends most of the video fleeing he eventually stops (~12m in) and fights. I really don't understand the rest of it.

SynthesizerKaiser fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Dec 2, 2010

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Akuma posted:

It's partly that and partly people looking for some final secret twist which doesn't exist.

Like Borden's brother being a clone and not a twin.

Seriously, look at this poo poo: some fucker on TVtropes thought this was the plot (he's talking about the film, not the book where I believe it's more complicated):

"in The Prestige, a man owns a machine that creates a duplicate of whatever's put inside it somewhere else, and teleports the original to a warehouse. It's revealed he had done this several times to himself, and each time the original was sent to a tiny glass tank and drowned."

I mean, how could you watch the film and assume that was what happened? It's shown on about 10 different occasions that this is NOT what happens, that the machine creates a copy elsewhere but the original is left on the platform and has to be dropped through the trapdoor into the water under the stage, where he then drowns. It's shown with the hats, the cats, the performers. They show the full tanks being transported to the warehouse from the theatre. It's not incidental IT IS THE PLOT. And yet someone has decided they know better

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Fatkraken posted:

I mean, how could you watch the film and assume that was what happened? It's shown on about 10 different occasions that this is NOT what happens, that the machine creates a copy elsewhere but the original is left on the platform and has to be dropped through the trapdoor into the water under the stage, where he then drowns. It's shown with the hats, the cats, the performers. They show the full tanks being transported to the warehouse from the theatre. It's not incidental IT IS THE PLOT. And yet someone has decided they know better

Actually we do not know whether the copy or the original remains in place, but it doesn't really matter. "Teleports the original to a warehouse" is still pretty dumb though. Unless you're just trying to derail this thread like all the others in which case well done :v:

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

peer posted:

Actually we do not know whether the copy or the original remains in place, but it doesn't really matter. "Teleports the original to a warehouse" is still pretty dumb though. Unless you're just trying to derail this thread like all the others in which case well done :v:
We do know which, "they are both your hats." It's like the "clone" thing in Farscape - think of it more like splitting than copying.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

peer posted:

Nah not trying to derail, and yeah it doesn't really matter, with a murdering-twinmaker type teleporter, the identity of each copy is really just philosophical since both are functionally identical. One remains, one "moves", and the one that remains is drowned is what is important. But yeah, mostly railing against people trying to "interpret" complex but fully explained movie plots in ways that suggest they never actually watched the drat thing in the first place.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Also, lollin' at "tiny glass tanks." I must've missed the miniaturisation part of the process.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It doesn't really matter either way since the movie makes sure that the "original" Angiers is dead no matter what. If it teleports the original then the copy shot him the first time he used it but if the original stays in the same spot he died the first performance.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I forgot about the PS boob jobs.

I'm trying to remember movies were effects are really obvious. I don't mean bad CGI or monster suits, I mean like the control rod in the alien in Spaceballs.

There's at least one movie where steam comes out of a characters "ears" but you can clearly see the tubes behind his ears.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
In Pandorum there's a shot where the dolly tracks are just sitting there for ten seconds at the bottom of the frame before the camera finally pushes in.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I love the extremely obvious black jump ramps added to the grey streets for the very first The Fast and the Furious.

It's kind of amazing because they shot it from the bottom of a hill and it was still amazingly obvious.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Anyone ever seen Bliss, the 1985 autralian movie? Has it ever come out on DVD?

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

Fatkraken posted:

Everybody's mind functions a little differently. What seems obnoxiously easy to comprehend to you might make some people's brains twist into a knot. Likewise, there are surely things others do that make no sense to you, right? I love the Prestige, but Inception I only saw once, and while I enjoyed it, I know I'm going to have to watch it a couple more times before all the nuances come through for me. But my first thought on seeing it was "I know my parents are going to go see this because they'll hear good reviews, but they're not going to understand a loving thing."

Non-linear plots also don't help a lot of people, and the Prestige jumps around the timeline of events more than any other film I'm familiar with. It does that WELL, but there's still a good percentage of the population who are just going to get frustrated by it. I imagine the guy Fatkraken was talking about was probably irritated by that and decided he didn't care for the movie early on, and probably paid less attention as the movie ended and never went back to watch it again.

Elijya fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Dec 3, 2010

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

kapalama posted:

Anyone ever seen Bliss, the 1985 autralian movie? Has it ever come out on DVD?

Only in Region 4 to the best of my knowledge.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I'm trying to remember movies were effects are really obvious. I don't mean bad CGI or monster suits, I mean like the control rod in the alien in Spaceballs.

There's at least one movie where steam comes out of a characters "ears" but you can clearly see the tubes behind his ears.

The signs that Pee-Wee drives past in Pee-Wee's Big Adventure - you can see the rails they're moving on in at least one shot.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

Encryptic posted:

The signs that Pee-Wee drives past in Pee-Wee's Big Adventure - you can see the rails they're moving on in at least one shot.

The film was shot in 4:3 with a soft matte, so when it was originally transferred to VHS, you can see the chain coming through the bottom of the case on the bike, the rails, and a bunch of other stuff they didn't intend people to see.

Thenipwax
Jun 20, 2001

by Ozmaugh

Sizzlechest posted:

The film was shot in 4:3 with a soft matte, so when it was originally transferred to VHS, you can see the chain coming through the bottom of the case on the bike, the rails, and a bunch of other stuff they didn't intend people to see.
They fixed these issues on the DVD, and it made me a little sad.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Thenipwax posted:

They fixed these issues on the DVD, and it made me a little sad.

It's a mistake revealed only because some idiot wasn't paying attention at the telecine.

Just as bad as the people who stand by Dr. Strangelove being "made for 4x3" when you can see the edges of a rear projection screen and rigging in a crucial shot.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

twistedmentat posted:

Not an effect per se but in the initial helicopter shot of The Shining you can see the shadow of the helicopter for at least a few seconds

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
That's like the smoking gun for film nerds arguing over whether Kubrick intended for his films to be widescreen or fullscreen.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
So what's the easiest way to legally watch La Souriante Madame Beudet? You would think it'd be easy since the film is probably public domain, but I can't find it anywhere. Google, eBay, Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, Mubi, and the Internet Archive all failed me.

EDIT: Never mind. The Internet Archive came through eventually.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 4, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Egbert Souse posted:

It's a mistake revealed only because some idiot wasn't paying attention at the telecine.

Would that be an unforgivable sin for whoever made that big of a mistake?