Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methodis
Mar 22, 2010

by Ozmaugh
My mom used to co-own a restaurant in the early 00's, and she got out in 2004 while her partner continued. All of a sudden today the IRS took her bank accounts, but for some reason also took mine and all the money in it, because her name was on the account. Is there anything I can do to get my money and account back? I didn't do poo poo and the bank refuses to take her name off of "unless she dies". Gee thanks. The IRS is taking their sweet loving time "investigating" and all I want is my money back. Can I lawyer up or something? I'm in the glorious state of New Hampshire.

Methodis fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 30, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
My employer is telling me that I am not allowed to enroll in Direct Deposit.

I always thought that employers must allow you to chose direct deposit if wanted?

I am in Connecticut, if that makes a difference

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
No, employers (for the most part) *must* pay you your wages in cash or negotiable check within set periods. That's about all the law in most states say. Some allow for direct deposit as an alternative but the wording isn't really specifically saying they can force you, and I doubt anywhere requires them to obey the employees preferred payment type.

http://www.ctdol.state.ct.us/wgwkstnd/wage-hour/pay002.htm

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Methodis posted:

My mom used to co-own a restaurant in the early 00's, and she got out in 2004 while her partner continued. All of a sudden today the IRS took her bank accounts, but for some reason also took mine and all the money in it, because her name was on the account. Is there anything I can do to get my money and account back? I didn't do poo poo and the bank refuses to take her name off of "unless she dies". Gee thanks. The IRS is taking their sweet loving time "investigating" and all I want is my money back. Can I lawyer up or something? I'm in the glorious state of New Hampshire.

I am not a lawyer. I do, however, work for a national bank. If your mom is a signer on your account, the account (and money) is just as much hers as yours. It doesn't matter what arrangement you may have with her.

I'd open up a new account only under your name so you can keep your money without the IRS taking it. As for the money they have already locked up, you are going to have to go through the IRS's procedure to get it back. The bank can't do anything.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Methodis posted:

Lawyer up, find someone who does tax controversy work.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

No, employers (for the most part) *must* pay you your wages in cash or negotiable check within set periods. That's about all the law in most states say. Some allow for direct deposit as an alternative but the wording isn't really specifically saying they can force you, and I doubt anywhere requires them to obey the employees preferred payment type.

I know that the company I work for does not offer physical checks. You either get paid by direct deposit or they have some weird system where they open up a bank account with your pay and give you a debit card. They are an international corporation, so you'd think they would follow the law, although you never know.

and the claw won!
Jul 10, 2008

Methodis posted:

Regardless of what else you do, you should open a new account in your name only and start using this. It looks like the IRS believes your mom owes them taxes, and it may or may not be related to this restaurant business. If you are on good terms with your mom and if she has the means, the easiest solution would be for her to reimburse you for whatever is in the account, and you can then just let the money in the account go to the IRS. This will get you your money and will remove you from the issue between your mom and the IRS.

If your mom is unwilling or unable to do this, then you should talk to a tax lawyer.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on
Edit: removed

Imaduck fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Dec 2, 2010

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Employment attorney

Methodis
Mar 22, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Yeah thanks for all the help goons. My mom is going to reimburst me and she worked out something with the IRS. I'm going to miss my bank account though, and i'll have to open a new one, but i've been looking for one that goes all throughout the state anyways.

djbaseball24
Nov 27, 2006
Heres the story I moved in with a girlfriend, signed a year lease, both names on contract, we broke up after the 2nd month and she wants out, I told her she still has to pay if she leaves she disagrees. If she does end up leaving can I sue her in a small claims court for the remaining 10 months at 400$ per month(her half)?

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

djbaseball24 posted:

Heres the story I moved in with a girlfriend, signed a year lease, both names on contract, we broke up after the 2nd month and she wants out, I told her she still has to pay if she leaves she disagrees. If she does end up leaving can I sue her in a small claims court for the remaining 10 months at 400$ per month(her half)?

No

djbaseball24
Nov 27, 2006

hypocrite lecteur posted:

No

why? she signed the lease too?

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

djbaseball24 posted:

You're still on the hook for the money, she's not, unless the contract specifically apportions costs to each of you. Last man standing on a lease owes, if you both cut out either or both of you can be sued for the money.

Anyways even if she is in breach, you don't get to sue for damages that way. You're required to mitigate and try to find another roommate or make up the costs some other way, then can sue for the actual damages caused by the breach. You can't just sue for 10 months rent and call it a day

OzzyBlood
Sep 29, 2008

djbaseball24 posted:

I'm sure this will vary state to state, but you have two options.

1) you both break the lease and let the landlord come after both of you, then you both will be responsible for half the debt

2) You take on a roommate for her portion of the rent. You may be able to sue her
for possibly one or two months rent if you can demonstrate you were actively searching for a roommate but could not find one in time. The courts will not order her to pay 10 months of rent while you live there alone.

get out of the apartment, make a deal with the landlord for your share, and let
him deal with her for hers.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
Does anyone have any experience with retaliatory discharge, preferably in Texas?

I'm probably about to get into a fight with my employer over overtime pay, and I want to be prepared for the possibility that they'll just kick me out rather than pay me. I've been with the company for three years, have a history of minor infractions (tardiness, some procedural/personal mishaps) but have never been formally disciplined until I got written up today for, as they put it, filing a timesheet in violation of company policy.

I'm fully expecting them to fight tooth and nail to avoid admitting that I'm a nonexempt employee, since doing so would force them to pony up a ton of back pay for a lot of people in my department, and I wouldn't put it past them to use my somewhat checkered history as pretext for a with-cause termination.

What steps can I take to ensure I have the strongest possible case if and when this goes to litigation?

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

You're still on the hook for the money, she's not, unless the contract specifically apportions costs to each of you. Last man standing on a lease owes, if you both cut out either or both of you can be sued for the money.

Anyways even if she is in breach, you don't get to sue for damages that way. You're required to mitigate and try to find another roommate or make up the costs some other way, then can sue for the actual damages caused by the breach. You can't just sue for 10 months rent and call it a day

That is not quite how it works in my state. In my state, there is no "last man standing" doctrine. She would be liable for half of the rent despite moving out, subject to mitigation, but mitigation is relaxed for non-commercial tenants.

Moral of the story - consult a local attorney.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Interesting legal situation came up today, I'd kinda like some hypothetical opinions. A Section 230 CDA protected service provider is being threatened to comply with a permanent injunction over a trademark infringement case that it was never a party to. The infringing party in the trademark case is using the service provider to host a website that infringes the mark. The service provider's actions, however in hosting that website are not commercial so the hosting is not an act of interstate commerce eligible to be trademark infringement.

If you were the GC of the service provider, would you stand your ground, on the thoughts that the injunction cannot apply to you? Or would you quietly take down the page -- if so do you cooperate, or do you bitch and complain to them about it? Or some other action?

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

SWATJester posted:

Interesting legal situation came up today, I'd kinda like some hypothetical opinions. A Section 230 CDA protected service provider is being threatened to comply with a permanent injunction over a trademark infringement case that it was never a party to. The infringing party in the trademark case is using the service provider to host a website that infringes the mark. The service provider's actions, however in hosting that website are not commercial so the hosting is not an act of interstate commerce eligible to be trademark infringement.

If you were the GC of the service provider, would you stand your ground, on the thoughts that the injunction cannot apply to you? Or would you quietly take down the page -- if so do you cooperate, or do you bitch and complain to them about it? Or some other action?

Forget the law and analyze it from an economics perspective. What would cost the least money, ultimately? Because that is what will drive the decision making 90% of the time.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

SWATJester posted:

Yeah, not really a legal question. Dump the site.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

My understanding is that in Wisconsin, you still owe the landlord the full amount you just have a private cause of action against the girlfriend. Of course you have to mitigate, but most contracts specify who has the burden of mitigating (the person moving out).

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

JudicialRestraints posted:

My understanding is that in Wisconsin, you still owe the landlord the full amount you just have a private cause of action against the girlfriend. Of course you have to mitigate, but most contracts specify who has the burden of mitigating (the person moving out).

Jurisprudence and the residential tenancy act reflect what I said in my post where I'm from and it's pretty similar across Canada, I guess it can vary pretty widely on what state you're in though

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Jurisprudence and the residential tenancy act reflect what I said in my post where I'm from and it's pretty similar across Canada, I guess it can vary pretty widely on what state you're in though
I have never of that in the US. Co-signer liability on a lease is generally joint and several.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

That sounds loving insane. So if you have roommates, and even if you signed the lease, as long as you're the first one out you can just say a big gently caress you to your by-now-ex-roomies and there's nothing they can do? I mean, in practical terms, there isn't much Americans can do in that situation (most people living in that kind of arrangement are close to judgment-proof), but still.

Can you cite anything online to that effect? Not asking for case law or a law review article, just something simple that outlines the doctrine you're talking about. I didn't find anything when I googled "'last man standing' canada tenancy" or "'last man standing' canada lease" (other than tenancy-in-common and joint tenancy stuff, which is obviously not what we're talking about).

bellybutton
Feb 5, 2005
Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil.

eviljelly posted:

That sounds loving insane. So if you have roommates, and even if you signed the lease, as long as you're the first one out you can just say a big gently caress you to your by-now-ex-roomies and there's nothing they can do? I mean, in practical terms, there isn't much Americans can do in that situation (most people living in that kind of arrangement are close to judgment-proof), but still.

Can you cite anything online to that effect? Not asking for case law or a law review article, just something simple that outlines the doctrine you're talking about. I didn't find anything when I googled "'last man standing' canada tenancy" or "'last man standing' canada lease" (other than tenancy-in-common and joint tenancy stuff, which is obviously not what we're talking about).

It actually depends on the lease itself, not the laws in the state. Some states very well may have laws that pertain to them, but the language in the lease is the most important. "Jointly and severally" is the clause the asker is looking for in the lease. If you both signed it, in any situation I can think of, you are both 100% liable for all financial charges. You can go to the landlord and see if they can work something out, but both tenants are liable for the rent. Unless the lease specifies that Susie will be paying 50% and Jackie will be paying 50%, it's the responsibility of each tenant to ensure that 100% of the rent is paid.

If one of the tenants moves out without working something out with the landlord, they are still liable for the rent, but the only real recourse is civil court. The remaining tenant still has to make sure 100% of the rent is paid. A civil court judge will grant a judgment in favor of the remaining tenant if he or she is able to prove the case, but it won't be for the full 10 months rent. The remaining tenant has to attempt to mitigate his or her damages by making a real effort to find a new roommate.

Again, it's possible that there are some states that specifically outline this, but it's pretty much always covered in the lease. So read that.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

bellybutton posted:

I understand that - there usually doesn't need to be any joint & several language in the lease for that to be true, in the U.S.

That's not what hypocrite lecteur is saying is the law of the land in Canada, though.

quote:

Last man standing on a lease owes, if you both cut out either or both of you can be sued for the money.

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
Legal goons, I need some advice.

I live in California, and a couple of days ago I got the oil changed on my new Mazda 5 (it had 5400 miles on it at the time of the change.) The next day while driving down 580E, my car poo poo itself. Smoke started pouring out from under the car, lights came on the dash and the car basically stalled.

I had it towed to the Mazda dealership. The foreman called me today and said that the problem was clearly oil-related. There was oil all over the car (when I left the dealership, even the rear window had a nice brown coat.) He said the only way this would've happened was if I hit something major or the oil place made a mistake.

I didn't hit anything, and there's no damage to the car to imply that happened.

My girlfriend called the oil place yesterday. The guy on the phone insisted that we'd have to bring it in to them. She told them basically to go gently caress themselves. We weren't going to bring it into them so they could potentially hide any mistakes they made.

Right now we're waiting to hear back from the foreman, but his cursory examination seems to imply that the motor is gone. This will probably be a $3000+ repair, not to mention taking a week or so.

So, legal goons, this is the advice I need: Once we know what our bill will be, we'll contact the oil change place and say, "This is what you need to pay." If they refuse to do so, what would our next step be?

I'd *really* like for them to just say, "Yes, we messed up. Here's a check to cover your new engine and rental car" but I'm skeptical that'll happen. Any suggestions?

bellybutton
Feb 5, 2005

Iron Squid posted:

Legal goons, I need some advice.

I live in California, and a couple of days ago I got the oil changed on my new Mazda 5 (it had 5400 miles on it at the time of the change.) The next day while driving down 580E, my car poo poo itself. Smoke started pouring out from under the car, lights came on the dash and the car basically stalled.

I had it towed to the Mazda dealership. The foreman called me today and said that the problem was clearly oil-related. There was oil all over the car (when I left the dealership, even the rear window had a nice brown coat.) He said the only way this would've happened was if I hit something major or the oil place made a mistake.

I didn't hit anything, and there's no damage to the car to imply that happened.

My girlfriend called the oil place yesterday. The guy on the phone insisted that we'd have to bring it in to them. She told them basically to go gently caress themselves. We weren't going to bring it into them so they could potentially hide any mistakes they made.

Right now we're waiting to hear back from the foreman, but his cursory examination seems to imply that the motor is gone. This will probably be a $3000+ repair, not to mention taking a week or so.

So, legal goons, this is the advice I need: Once we know what our bill will be, we'll contact the oil change place and say, "This is what you need to pay." If they refuse to do so, what would our next step be?

I'd *really* like for them to just say, "Yes, we messed up. Here's a check to cover your new engine and rental car" but I'm skeptical that'll happen. Any suggestions?

You need to get something in writing from the dealership stating that the oil change place caused the problem, and what the problem is. You're going to have to be able to prove to them (and if they won't pay you, to a court) that it is their fault and not yours. You may even want to get two opinions and two things in writing. Make sure written estimates for repairing it are included.

If they refuse to pay you, you're going to have to sue them. You can do that in small claims court. It's not a difficult process, but you DO have to prove your case. So as long as you have those written statements and estimates, you should be fine.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Can you sue in small claims for the $3000+ he estimated?

bellybutton
Feb 5, 2005
Yes. Each state has a different upper limit for small claims cases, but California's is $7500.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

bellybutton posted:

It actually depends on the lease itself, not the laws in the state. Some states very well may have laws that pertain to them, but the language in the lease is the most important.

Again, it's possible that there are some states that specifically outline this, but it's pretty much always covered in the lease. So read that.

In my state, the Tenant-Landlord Act trumps the lease. So, again, consult a local lawyer.

bellybutton
Feb 5, 2005

Solomon Grundy posted:

In my state, the Tenant-Landlord Act trumps the lease. So, again, consult a local lawyer.

In all states the law will trump the lease, except for a few exceptions where people are actually allowed to sign away their legal protections in the lease. That said, I can't think of any state (though to be fair, I'm only familiar with a few states) in which the law actually addresses this issue in Landlord-Tenant law, so if this poster's state happens to, clearly, all he needs to do is look at the landlord-tenant law in his state and see what that says. Otherwise, it's going to be in the lease.

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

bellybutton posted:

You need to get something in writing from the dealership stating that the oil change place caused the problem, and what the problem is. You're going to have to be able to prove to them (and if they won't pay you, to a court) that it is their fault and not yours. You may even want to get two opinions and two things in writing. Make sure written estimates for repairing it are included.

If they refuse to pay you, you're going to have to sue them. You can do that in small claims court. It's not a difficult process, but you DO have to prove your case. So as long as you have those written statements and estimates, you should be fine.

My mechanic said that if I had hit something, there would be damage to indicate that. After all, its possible I *did* hit something and just didn't notice it. But he says there's no evidence of that.

He'll call me back later today to let me know what he thinks caused the issue.

Thanks for the advice.

Edit: Update - the mechanic called and said the oil leak was because there was no oil filter on the car. It was either not put on at all, or put on improperly.

Iron Squid fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 3, 2010

bellybutton
Feb 5, 2005

Iron Squid posted:

My mechanic said that if I had hit something, there would be damage to indicate that. After all, its possible I *did* hit something and just didn't notice it. But he says there's no evidence of that.

He'll call me back later today to let me know what he thinks caused the issue.

Thanks for the advice.

Edit: Update - the mechanic called and said the oil leak was because there was no oil filter on the car. It was either not put on at all, or put on improperly.

Dear god.

I don't know a thing about cars, so I don't know if that is accurate or not, but you need to get it, and an estimate, in writing.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Iron Squid posted:

Probably put on too loosely. Unless the oil filter is mounted very high up on the MZR motor, which I don't think it is, there's no way you could have gotten far from the shop without an oil filter on and not immediately gotten smoke or a seized engine.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Probably put on too loosely. Unless the oil filter is mounted very high up on the MZR motor, which I don't think it is, there's no way you could have gotten far from the shop without an oil filter on and not immediately gotten smoke or a seized engine.

I bet they didn't remove the gasket from the previous oil filter.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

I bet they didn't remove the gasket from the previous oil filter.

Happens all the time.

I have a quick question from Virginia Small Claims Court -

My friend was being sued in small claims court for $3200. When he went to court this morning, the plaintiff did not show up so the judge dismissed the case. Can the plaintiff file another lawsuit against him over the same matter?

bellybutton
Feb 5, 2005

gigabitnokie posted:

Happens all the time.

My friend was being sued in small claims court for $3200. When he went to court this morning, the plaintiff did not show up so the judge dismissed the case. Can the plaintiff file another lawsuit against him over the same matter?

It depends on how the judge dismissed the case. If it was dismissed "without prejudice", then the plaintiff is able to refile. If it was dismissed "with prejudice", he cannot.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

gigabitnokie posted:

Happens all the time.

That depends on whether the dismissal was "with prejudice" or "without prejudice." If it is "with prejudice," there is no opportunity to refile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

eviljelly posted:

Nah I mean a lease is joint and several liability, just as a matter of simplicity the landlord will always go after the last guy still there. Where the duty to mitigate comes from I actually don't know, probably common law, just know from observing RTDRS proceedings that it's there. RTA doesn't cover agreements between tenants, so probably just basic contract law. Looked a bit through the RTA and the RTDRS site without finding anything other than landlord's duty to mitigate when the tenants move out, so I may be full of poo poo

hypocrite lecteur fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 4, 2010