Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Wagonburner posted:

My 6 year old loves mspaint and we have about $50 more to spend on her for christmas.

I'm thinking about a drawing tablet, I had an atari one when I was a kid and it was great but I don't know anything about modern ones. All I've seen online are pressure sensitive and mostly expensive, we won't need that for mspaint.

How does it work anyway? You just use it as the mouse? Use the pen to select another mspaint tool or click file/save?

I saw a couple for 40-50 on newegg (genius brand) but wasn't sure they'd do what we wanted. plus the pen needs batteries and that kinda sucks.

Would there be something any type of stick/stylus/retracted ballpoint would work with? Any suggestions?

The $50 genius one was pressure sensitive which makes me think something that isn't (like my old atari one) would be even cheaper if I knew what to search for.

Here's a thread in CC that talks about tablets.

You want a Wacom brand if you're planning to use it a long time - nobody else's quality really compares. They have a line of small tablets called Bamboo that's probably what you're looking for. They do basically work like a mouse - you connect it to your computer via USB, run the install CD, and go to town. The stylus can even be used to do normal computing tasks like clicking on desktop icons and stuff if you want.

As far as I know there's no such thing as a non-pressure-sensitive tablet anymore. It's just how the technology works, and trust me, it makes it much more intuitive to learn. The same thing goes for styluses - they're really not interchangeable from brand to brand anymore, but the Wacom ones do last a long time. Wacom styluses also don't need batteries.

Wacom tablets also come with Photoshop Elements, which is a pretty great drawing and photo editing program for general use, although a kid would probably love Artrage even more, because it's just like using real art supplies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Wagonburner posted:

My 6 year old loves mspaint and we have about $50 more to spend on her for christmas.

I'm thinking about a drawing tablet, I had an atari one when I was a kid and it was great but I don't know anything about modern ones. All I've seen online are pressure sensitive and mostly expensive, we won't need that for mspaint.

How does it work anyway? You just use it as the mouse? Use the pen to select another mspaint tool or click file/save?

I saw a couple for 40-50 on newegg (genius brand) but wasn't sure they'd do what we wanted. plus the pen needs batteries and that kinda sucks.

Would there be something any type of stick/stylus/retracted ballpoint would work with? Any suggestions?

The $50 genius one was pressure sensitive which makes me think something that isn't (like my old atari one) would be even cheaper if I knew what to search for.

PM me your address and I'll mail this to you if you want. No box, but free, works and the drivers are online.

Click here for the full 484x648 image.

I'm the loving SA questions Christmas elf.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm getting really tired of my Google searches turning up a slew of useless content aggregation sites (articlebase, ezinemark, associated content, etc) instead of what I'm looking for. Is there a Firefox plugin or somesuch that can eliminate these from the search results? Failing that, is there a decent search engine that doesn't suffer fromt his problem?

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Wagonburner posted:

Do you have a Nintendo Wii? If so there's a game called uDraw Studio that uses a special drawing tablet: http://www.amazon.com/uDraw-Studio-Game-Tablet-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B003ZTTCBQ

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010
I can't find a definite answer on what the current TSA regulations are for flying internationally with cigarettes and regular Bic lighters. I'm talking one lighter, two packs of cigarettes. Carry-on or checked? Do I have to take either of them out?

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

Tshirt Ninja posted:

I can't find a definite answer on what the current TSA regulations are for flying internationally with cigarettes and regular Bic lighters. I'm talking one lighter, two packs of cigarettes. Carry-on or checked? Do I have to take either of them out?

Common Lighters - Lighters without fuel are permitted in checked baggage. Lighters with fuel are prohibited in checked baggage, unless they adhere to the Department of Transportation (DOT) exemption, which allows up to two fueled lighters if properly enclosed in a DOT approved case. If you are uncertain as to whether your lighter is prohibited, please leave it at home.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm#9

I've never heard of any restriction on cigarettes themselves.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Binowru posted:

Do you have a Nintendo Wii? If so there's a game called uDraw Studio that uses a special drawing tablet: http://www.amazon.com/uDraw-Studio-Game-Tablet-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B003ZTTCBQ

The Aphasian is the loving man (or possibly lady) and is hooking up the wacom tablet for us.

I'd thought about the udraw but wanted something for the pc instead since we have like 5 of them and she likes to draw for hours. Can't be having the big TV taken up all the time. But it is plugged in to a pc so she'll be able to draw on the big screen sometimes.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

What is that swedish(?) holiday drink that pepsi made a version of called pepsi holiday spice

can I get it in america to try it?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Danger Mahoney posted:

I'm getting really tired of my Google searches turning up a slew of useless content aggregation sites (articlebase, ezinemark, associated content, etc) instead of what I'm looking for. Is there a Firefox plugin or somesuch that can eliminate these from the search results? Failing that, is there a decent search engine that doesn't suffer fromt his problem?

Could try http://duckduckgo.com/

I'm not used to it, but it seems less bloated.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I won't go into the details, but I need to sue my landlord for wrongfully with holding nearly $800 of my security deposit and not returning the deposit within 30 days. My question is, do I file against the property owner, or the property management company who I dealt with directly for the year I lived there? I didn't even know the owners name or contact info until yesterday when I had my measly $100 check (which I will not be cashing) thrown at me by the property manager.

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007

nesbit37 posted:

I won't go into the details, but I need to sue my landlord for wrongfully with holding nearly $800 of my security deposit and not returning the deposit within 30 days. My question is, do I file against the property owner, or the property management company who I dealt with directly for the year I lived there? I didn't even know the owners name or contact info until yesterday when I had my measly $100 check (which I will not be cashing) thrown at me by the property manager.

You might want to try this over in the Legal Questions Megathread if you don't get a useful answer here.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Wagonburner posted:

The Aphasian is the loving man (or possibly lady) and is hooking up the wacom tablet for us.

I'd thought about the udraw but wanted something for the pc instead since we have like 5 of them and she likes to draw for hours. Can't be having the big TV taken up all the time. But it is plugged in to a pc so she'll be able to draw on the big screen sometimes.

I was going to answer your original question, but then it became awesomely moot. Now it occurs to me that I should anyway in case someone else had a similar question.
Those Genius tablets would be fantastic for a 6 year old.
I bought one here at work on a whim, because a 10x12" tablet was less than half the price of a 4x6 wacom.
It is much better than a mouse for graphics, but if someone had ever used a Wacom (which I have at another computer) they wouldn't want to go back. It's absolutely not just a toy, but the Wacom makes it seem like a toy by comparison.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
This question is about domain name rights.

I had an idea for a small business. Then one day I met a guy who owned just such a business that he was no longer interested in developing because he was moving away to a new job in another country.

I asked him if I could work to find clients using his (registered) business and website (which has a good versatile name), and he agreed and said I could have 50% of the profits if I found any clients.

That suited me because it meant a) I didn't have to spend any money b) I could draw on this guy's payment processing, existing contacts etc and c) I didn't have to waste energy buying and creating a website myself.

The guy has now moved away to the new country and new job and recently stopped replying to my emails and Facebook messages, though he is on Facebook fairly regularly. Fair enough.

Working with him is pretty much a lost cause now but I would quite like to buy the website. It is paid for up till April 2011 - which I am prepared to wait for - according to a free site analytics page I saw. This page also stated that its worth by page views is $86.

Obviously I don't want to ask him to sell but how do these things work? I imagine he gets first refusal, but if he does not renew, then how long will it take for the domain name to become available? How much will it cost to own a .com domain?

SouvlakiPlaystation
Jan 7, 2006

Ave Lucifer, baby
I recently acquired a 550mb avi movie file, which was split up in to 6 smaller avi files that all have names like "ronnie.home.movie.avi.001" then named the same way through 6, etc. This being the case I thought all I had to do was remove the numbers at the end to make them playable and that would be that...but after doing so i'm told by Windows Media Player that I'm missing a codec. I've downloaded a few codec packs, but haven't had any luck. Can anyone recommend a good player that would do the trick?

Also I plan on eventually burning this to DVD. Is there a way to combine the files in to one?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

SouvlakiPlaystation posted:

I recently acquired a 550mb avi movie file, which was split up in to 6 smaller avi files that all have names like "ronnie.home.movie.avi.001" then named the same way through 6, etc. This being the case I thought all I had to do was remove the numbers at the end to make them playable and that would be that...but after doing so i'm told by Windows Media Player that I'm missing a codec. I've downloaded a few codec packs, but haven't had any luck. Can anyone recommend a good player that would do the trick?

Also I plan on eventually burning this to DVD. Is there a way to combine the files in to one?

hjsplit.

ROOMBA floorvac
Aug 21, 2004
I'm looking to buy a truck GPS for my dad for Christmas. Does anyone know of which brand/model I should get?

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

maverick99 posted:

I'm looking to buy a truck GPS for my dad for Christmas. Does anyone know of which brand/model I should get?

Is a truck GPS different from a normal one?

(I would assume no, but then I'm thinking there could be some kind of GPS that specifically avoids roads heavy trucks couldn't drive on. There must be such a thing, is there?)

ROOMBA floorvac
Aug 21, 2004

Elijya posted:

(I would assume no, but then I'm thinking there could be some kind of GPS that specifically avoids roads heavy trucks couldn't drive on. There must be such a thing, is there?)

I'm all but sure there are. It would include stuff like height restrictions and basically take you down roads suited the best for semis and whatnot.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Elijya posted:

(I would assume no...

If this is actually the case, then you can't go wrong with a Garmin Nuvi. That thing saved my rear end more than once.

EDIT: Welp, nevermind then. If such a GPS exists, then Garmin no-doubt manufactures them. Check it out.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

SouvlakiPlaystation posted:

Can anyone recommend a good player that would do the trick?

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
This player does not depend on codecs on your system as far as I know.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

maverick99 posted:

I'm all but sure there are. It would include stuff like height restrictions and basically take you down roads suited the best for semis and whatnot.
So your dad drives a semi that he needs this for?

V Just clarifying, I thought it was interesting to find out about. Hope someone can help.

Elijya fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 3, 2010

ROOMBA floorvac
Aug 21, 2004

Elijya posted:

So your dad drives a semi that he needs this for?

Yah exactly

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Breath Ray posted:

This question is about domain name rights.

I had an idea for a small business. Then one day I met a guy who owned just such a business that he was no longer interested in developing because he was moving away to a new job in another country.

I asked him if I could work to find clients using his (registered) business and website (which has a good versatile name), and he agreed and said I could have 50% of the profits if I found any clients.

That suited me because it meant a) I didn't have to spend any money b) I could draw on this guy's payment processing, existing contacts etc and c) I didn't have to waste energy buying and creating a website myself.

The guy has now moved away to the new country and new job and recently stopped replying to my emails and Facebook messages, though he is on Facebook fairly regularly. Fair enough.

Working with him is pretty much a lost cause now but I would quite like to buy the website. It is paid for up till April 2011 - which I am prepared to wait for - according to a free site analytics page I saw. This page also stated that its worth by page views is $86.

Obviously I don't want to ask him to sell but how do these things work? I imagine he gets first refusal, but if he does not renew, then how long will it take for the domain name to become available? How much will it cost to own a .com domain?

Let me first clear up that you cannot buy the website from him by letting it expire. You can buy the domain name after it become available, but the site content, his sales contacts, payment processing, etc.. will die when the domain drops and/or his host stops hosting his domain.

Domains cost around $10/yr to register. Please go use anyone besides GoDaddy, Network Solutions or Register.com

Now, if you want to catch a domain, It's a fairly simple process ... sort of.

First step, go to http://www.who.is and perform a whois lookup on the domain. Find out the expiration date, and if you can, the registrar. It seems that you're expecting the domain to drop in April 2011, providing that he doesn't renew it.

Here's the process a domain goes through from registered to expired to dropped to available again.

So you're looking at about 2-3 months from expiration until it becomes available for registration again. If the domain drops and no one picks it up, it's your to register.

Here's where it become tricky.

If the domain was in any way popular or had any traffic, it's possible that it may be picked up by a taster or another domainer to sell for profit. A taster will pick up the domain for 5 days to see if there's any traffic. If so, he'll keep it. If not, he'll refund the domain purchase and drop the domain back into the pool. You might also get somone who will buy the domain and sit on it to sell it off later to someone, well, like you.

I don't want to get too involved, but if you really want the domain you can go through a drop catch service that can try and pick up the domain the second it drops. Those service usually run $60+ in addition to the registration costs.

If you need more info I can go further into it.

meatliner
Apr 17, 2010
Could someone tell me what these bugs are? I found the worm looking things on the ceiling in the bathroom, and another set on the ceiling just outside the bathroom. The cluster of eggs was in the living room. I'm not sure if the two are connected or if they are two separate infestations of something.

The worms were really tiny - like almost tiny black lines - the photo was taken with the macro mode on my camera. The cluster of egged is just small patch, looks like kind of a tiny smudge on the ceiling.

I sprayed them all with bug spray and it seems to have killed the worm looking things - I'm hoping thats the end of it. Is there anything else I should do?

Click here for the full 1052x1008 image.

Click here for the full 1078x1099 image.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

BorderPatrol posted:

If you need more info I can go further into it.

Thanks BorderPatrol that was all very helpful.

I have all the site content already as I planned to edit it; the sales contacts and payment processing died along with our gentlemen's agreement - I expected that info but it was never delivered.

Whois.com brought me the level of activity and the registrar name.

Why is the registrar's name important btw?

The traffic level is not all that high. 1 visit in the last month (probably me). We are sitting 27 million places above the top spot so I imagine no domainers will be interested.

Is name.com a good place to register domains?

What does backorder mean? Reserve to buy in advance?

Apologies for computer illiteracy

Breath Ray fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 3, 2010

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Breath Ray posted:

Some registrars will buy up domains that have been searched for on their site but not purchased. They do this so they can charge you more for the domain as there is obviously an interest (yours). loving stupid.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
I need a nice visualization program that runs on win7 and xp, that doesn't have anything to do with music. I basically have three computers in my same room and I want them all to be swirling colorful awesomeness but have the sound coming from a DJ in the other room, so a standard milk-drop plugin for winamp or something isn't quite what I'm looking for.

Is there anything like this out there? All the visualization software I know is tied to music.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Cheekio posted:

I need a nice visualization program that runs on win7 and xp, that doesn't have anything to do with music. I basically have three computers in my same room and I want them all to be swirling colorful awesomeness but have the sound coming from a DJ in the other room, so a standard milk-drop plugin for winamp or something isn't quite what I'm looking for.

Is there anything like this out there? All the visualization software I know is tied to music.

A screensaver?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Play random, turn on milkdrop, and mute the sound?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Breath Ray posted:

Thanks BorderPatrol that was all very helpful.

I have all the site content already as I planned to edit it; the sales contacts and payment processing died along with our gentlemen's agreement - I expected that info but it was never delivered.

Whois.com brought me the level of activity and the registrar name.

The traffic level is not all that high. 1 visit in the last month (probably me). We are sitting 27 million places above the top spot so I imagine no domainers will be interested.

Is name.com a good place to register domains?

What does backorder mean? Reserve to buy in advance?

Apologies for computer illiteracy

IF you want to try a dropcatching service to try and snatch up the domain, some registrars have exclusive contracts with certain dropcatching services. Enom resellers, for example, only send their domains to Snapnames and not Pool.com.

Take any traffic judging services with a huge grain of salt. No one knows the exact stats except the person running the services. That's why tasting companies exist, to gauge the traffic.

Name.com is great, I have my 50+ domains through them almost exclusively now.

Backorder and Dropcatching:
Name.com's Backorder service is the same as many registrar's dropcatching services. What this amounts is that if you have a domain that you want, registering with a drop catching service means that you will have a company attempting to register the domain immediately when it becomes available. These services monitor the registration pool around the time that ICANN releases domains back into the public pool, and if it finds your domain is attempts a registration on your behalf.

Name.com's service is OK, it's not the biggest or most effective dropcatching service. The advantage of Name.com's Name Nabber is that it's $50, and if they can't grab it you get a refund or a reallocation of funds to other services so you don't lose your money. Also, they don't have an auction process so $50 is the set price. Big companies such as Snapnames and Pool.com have literally thousands of subregistrars hammering away on the pool, all trying to register the same names. Your chances of registering an expired domain are much greater with the bigger player than the smaller guys, but they cost more upfront, and prices are non-refundable, and popular domains will end up going to auction meaning you have no idea how much it will cost you. You may get the name, but it could cost you thousands of dollars if it's popular enough.

That aside, it sounds like the domain you're after will drop quietly with no one picking it up really. If it's worth it to you, try name.com's Name Nabber service. $50 for piece of mind in assuring you get the domain you want may be worth it for you.

There's a good breakdown on some of the info here as well:
http://www.domainafterlife.com/2010/03/my-how-to-guide-on-drop-catching-expired-domains/

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I really like using Google Maps' streetview thing, but for some strange reason my block of the neighborhood doesn't exist as far as Google is concerned. It doesn't even show up. Just looking at the map would give the impression that my neighborhood just ends and another one starts up four houses down. This is a pretty recent development, too; I distinctly remember looking at my house when the streetview stuff was just starting up.

What could possibly have caused this? Do I have a secret agent neighbor or something?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Dead Alice posted:

A screensaver?

Coupled with this, as long as he doesn't need to use the visualization computers for anything, Electric Sheep is amazing. It's a screensaver playing animated fractals.

http://electricsheep.org/

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

BorderPatrol posted:

Domains cost around $10/yr to register. Please go use anyone besides GoDaddy, Network Solutions or Register.com
So then... who should we use, exactly? :confused:

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Danger Mahoney posted:

What could possibly have caused this? Do I have a secret agent neighbor or something?

It was likely removed either by request or due to some inappropriate content. Unless your neighbor was standing on the front lawn with his dick out or something it's likely that one of your neighbors asked Google to edit out their house and they just deleted the entire section.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

melon cat posted:

namecheap.com

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

change my name posted:

A bunch of questions:

First, I'm going to buy a new phone in about 2 weeks and I really want the EVO 4g. Would it be possible to get it under $400 (preferably under 350) anywhere? Would SAmart be my best bet?

Secondly, how come AV club tv reviews are multiple pages but every other review, including film reviews, are often just a paragraph?

Finally, I ordered guitar hero 5 from amazon though Go Hastings, but the guitar came broken. I've sent several emails to the company trying to get a refund/replacement but they just haven't answered. Do I have any recourse?

Reposting all of this, especially since I'd like to get my money back on the last one

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Schweinhund posted:

namecheap.com
1&1.
I'm not an affiliate—just a satisfied user.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

melon cat posted:

Personally I use Name.com, Namecheap and Moniker.

Network Solutions and Register.com are slow and expensive. Godaddy is just so pushy with added services, locks domains in disputes, loses domain registration requests that I would never trust a domain there.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

BorderPatrol posted:

That aside, it sounds like the domain you're after will drop quietly with no one picking it up really. If it's worth it to you, try name.com's Name Nabber service. $50 for piece of mind in assuring you get the domain you want may be worth it for you.

There's a good breakdown on some of the info here as well:
http://www.domainafterlife.com/2010/03/my-how-to-guide-on-drop-catching-expired-domains/

Thanks BP you're a saint. If I keep checking the site status on whois.com, in April+3 months, will that show up and make a domainer think, 'aha! buy buy buy'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007

change my name posted:

Reposting all of this, especially since I'd like to get my money back on the last one

For the Amazon/Guitar Hero bit, it sounds like you should be looking into Amazon's "A-to-Z Guarantee" at this point. Go over the directions carefully, but you can file a claim directly with Amazon itself if the merchant is not responsive.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?ie=UTF8&nodeId=537868