Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Captain Charisma posted:

The best one I ever saw was this snap powerbomb that Benoit did in a match against Eddie on Nitro. It was loving brutal. I think it's on a DVD set.

Amen. It's at about 7:50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Shiki Dan posted:

Enter "Botchamania" into YouTube.

Watch 140 videos.
Become an expert on wrestling botches for life. And Sabu matches.

The first 5 videos are botches, the rest are mild accidents and 8-bit video game music.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Chilly McFreeze posted:

The first 5 videos are botches, the rest are mild accidents and 8-bit video game music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr4mhuLjhoA

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Perry Normal posted:

That's the sickest powerbomb I've ever seen.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Perry Normal posted:

Oh my!

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Chris Benoit was legit my favorite wrestler ever.

:smith:

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?
Man that whole match was awesome. Every move they did had snap and kick to it. Those guys got so much out of an 8 minute TV undercard match.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
I always liked this powerbomb from eddie on lita

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VCFo6KE7lY

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Perry Normal posted:

Michael Cole =/= Eric Bischoff

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Lone Rogue posted:

Michael Cole =/= Eric Bischoff

Bishoff always seemed like he was doing a lame Vince impression in the way he would hype things. It's still funny to me (I've seen this match hundreds of times, it was one that I would show people who thought wrestling was lame to convince them otherwise) when Bishoff just randomly breaks out "And we are coming to you LIVE!"

Also, I know he's the black belt, not me, but gently caress "back leg round kick." loving rear end in a top hat.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
You know the powerbomb is nasty because all 3 announcers lose their poo poo over it. Sweet jesus.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Perry Normal posted:

Bishoff always seemed like he was doing a lame Vince impression
I really hate to do this considering how TNA has gone since he arrived and taking in the fact that he's a birther douchebag and has nothing left to offer wrestling, evidently, but the Vince McMahon character we saw throughout late 1997/1998/1999 and up through today took a LOT of cues from Bischoff's heel character. If anything, Vince was doing an impression of Bischoff. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure even the familiar "rear end in a top hat" chants Vince cultivated were aimed at Bischoff first. The heel promoter character didn't enter mainstream wrestling with the WWF. WCW was doing it long before the Montreal Screwjob when Vince Russo had one of his only good ideas and decided to make it public that McMahon was actually in charge. Bischoff was outed as the President of WCW some time before McMahon was outed as the owner of Titan Sports.

You were talking about commentary, though, and on that topic I really don't have any opinion.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
So we've learned that the recipe for a good powerbomb involves Eddie. :smith:

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
So a question popped up today between my brother and I, and I figured I would ask the board. Being not up on my puroresu, I have to ask what the current situation is involving crazy match types. Back in the day I remember exploding barb wire fire etc type matches but are those still prevalent? Or are they more at home in the Japanese equivalent of CZW type promotions?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Good Listener posted:

So a question popped up today between my brother and I, and I figured I would ask the board. Being not up on my puroresu, I have to ask what the current situation is involving crazy match types. Back in the day I remember exploding barb wire fire etc type matches but are those still prevalent? Or are they more at home in the Japanese equivalent of CZW type promotions?

BJW is all about the light tubes.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LividLiquid posted:

I really hate to do this considering how TNA has gone since he arrived and taking in the fact that he's a birther douchebag and has nothing left to offer wrestling, evidently, but the Vince McMahon character we saw throughout late 1997/1998/1999 and up through today took a LOT of cues from Bischoff's heel character. If anything, Vince was doing an impression of Bischoff. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure even the familiar "rear end in a top hat" chants Vince cultivated were aimed at Bischoff first. The heel promoter character didn't enter mainstream wrestling with the WWF. WCW was doing it long before the Montreal Screwjob when Vince Russo had one of his only good ideas and decided to make it public that McMahon was actually in charge. Bischoff was outed as the President of WCW some time before McMahon was outed as the owner of Titan Sports.

You were talking about commentary, though, and on that topic I really don't have any opinion.

Vince McMahon was being Mr. McMahon in Memphis long before Eric Bischoff was a character on TV.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn
Plus, Bischoff and McMahon were wildly different characters. Saying Vince stole the character from Bischoff is like saying Austin stole his gimmick from Sandman.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

El Axo Grande posted:

Plus, Bischoff and McMahon were wildly different characters. Saying Vince stole the character from Bischoff is like saying Austin stole his gimmick from Sandman.

Plus, Perry was talking about their announcing styles, not their eventual heel boss gimmicks.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
All I know is that Eric is MUCH more hateable than Vince as a character

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Good Listener posted:

These batshit insane matches came mainly out of two organizations, FMW and IWA, both of which are now defunct. I don't follow puro but I think they've gravitated more toward the CZW type of deathmatch, which is a shame. I used to love me some FMW back in the day because they were so loving insane.

Cactus Jack smashing W*ING Kanemura with a car window? Yes please.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

ChampRamp posted:

All I know is that Eric is MUCH more hateable than Vince as a character

The Vince character always had balls [to a point] and was almost always hilarious. He also knew how to take a drat good beating. Hard to really hate quality.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Has anyone ever cried in a storyline? I don't mean the fake stuff the divas have done, but a guy wrestler. Like the face just keeps getting beat down and broken by the heel that he just breaks down in the locker room, but comes back to completely wreck the heel in the blow off match or something?

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Umm no because crying is for gay men and gay men are always heels, don't you know ANYTHING ABOUT WRESTLING???

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Orgophlax posted:

Has anyone ever cried in a storyline? I don't mean the fake stuff the divas have done, but a guy wrestler. Like the face just keeps getting beat down and broken by the heel that he just breaks down in the locker room, but comes back to completely wreck the heel in the blow off match or something?

Cena like two weeks ago.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Orgophlax posted:

Kane cried about his father's abduction.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
During the Big Show Big Bossman feud.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Vince and Eric were different characters. Maybe not at the most basic level (evil authority) but their personalities were different and so was their interactions with wrestlers they liked and wrestlers they hated.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
That sounds amazing. Babyface X and Heel Y are in a blood feud. One week, Heel Y totally punks Babyface X out. The next week, the only time we see him is a short vignette of him crying in the locker room. Then he makes his comeback.

It would be so surreal.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Vince was aware that Mr. McMahon should never ultimately win a feud.

Bischoff was part of the nWo, which is still beating people down for 48 minutes and spraypainting them somewhere in the universe.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MassRayPer posted:

Vince McMahon was being Mr. McMahon in Memphis long before Eric Bischoff was a character on TV.
I forgot all about that. It really was the prototype for the later Vince character, wasn't it?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Neodoomium posted:

Vince was aware that Mr. McMahon should never ultimately win a feud.

Bischoff was part of the nWo, which is still beating people down for 48 minutes and spraypainting them somewhere in the universe.

Yep its called TNA also Vince would never do anything as stupid as the NWO takeover of Nitro on a go home show.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

That episode ruled. I remember like half an hour of nWo guys standing around staring at the entrance trying to direct a guy putting a nWo logo over the WCW one.

Just like the DPW guys in your hometown during a water main break.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Neodoomium posted:

That episode ruled. I remember like half an hour of nWo guys standing around staring at the entrance trying to direct a guy putting a nWo logo over the WCW one.

Just like the DPW guys in your hometown during a water main break.

It also had Hogan freaking out over a Hogan head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvL0YlwWloU

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Dec 4, 2010

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?

Orgophlax posted:

Jimmy Jacobs, but he was a heel doing it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LividLiquid posted:

I forgot all about that. It really was the prototype for the later Vince character, wasn't it?

The back issues of the Observer are actually right at this period. I don't think the most recent one had anything though. But the issues from right before that have. There has been some really interesting stuff, like how the Vince promos were cut out of the syndicated version of Memphis TV that went out to other cities. So cities outside of Memphis had no clue Vince was heeling it up on Lawler.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Orgophlax posted:

I'm pretty sure Vince yelled at Foley until he cried once. Then Foley beat up Terry Funk and Vince loved him again.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions
Why didn't Owen leave with Bret after Montreal? Was there any animosity from Bret towards Owen because of this? I'm guessing it was money but I'd think WCW would have thrown enough money his way for him to leave especially during that time. Bulldog and Neidhart had no problem following Bret out it seemed. Was he just that loyal and great of a guy to wrestle out the remainder of his contract? Sadly we'll never know how things would've played out but him staying with WWE for a year and a half after the screw job just got me thinking and raised some questions. I haven't gotten around to reading Bret's book but surely some of this must be addressed in there I'd think. Thanks!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

WWE refused to let him out of his contract.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

Yep its called TNA also Vince would never do anything as stupid as the NWO takeover of Nitro on a go home show.

To be fair Vince was already in control, the nWo was a rebel faction much like Nexus today. If the nWo took over it would make the WCW babyfaces the underdogs and thus make their fight more noble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I was saying that the Raw before Wrestlemania wasting 30 - 40 minutes on just showing Nexus taking down the Raw's set. Then waste another 20 minutes with having a gift giving ceremony and it involves getting a Hogan head and Sting riding on a zip line. This is what WCW did on the Raw before Starcade.