Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

tonelok posted:

Flying Mummy Attack :3:

Holy crap. When did this Pharoah's Quest series suddenly come out? I want that Biplane sooooo bad. Kinda reminds me of that Johnny Thunder series they did back in the day. I still have all of those sets and love looking at them from time to time. The little details were just awesome. Easily cooler than the actual Indiana Jones sets, and they were pretty obviously a ripoff of the whole Great White Hunter/Treasure Hunting Hero genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

tonelok posted:

Flying Mummy Attack :3:

If you want the most bang for your buck, Wal-Mart and some others are clearing out older LEGO sets or putting them on sale, but each store is different. Keep in mind that these sets aren't necessarily on the LEGO aisle and maybe in a separate clearance area.

I was going to suggest the exact same set to tonelok. A sweet biplane, really cool looking minifigs, you can't go wrong.

I'm only slightly "eh" about the fact that they made the Pharaoh's Quest stuff a Jake Raines tie-in, as I personally feel that one of the great draws of LEGO is its generality of play. Yes there are themes like Atlantis and Kingdoms and Pirates, but they don't give you a lot of names and back stories for the mini-figs, so they still let the imagination run wild. Once you start tying a company provided story and mythos around the sets and figures it feels a bit narrow.

Or I could just be over-thinking it, cause either way, that's a sweet plane and it will be mine.

ireladd fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 3, 2010

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
Just a heads up, Toys R Us has a weekend sale going today and tomorrow on Star Wars Lego stuff. Buy one, get one 50% off.. I'll link the pdf for it, but if a mod sees it and doesn't like it because of leeching or something, I'm open to suggestions

edit: put this together yourself...

ht tp://trus.imageg.net/graphics/media/trus/120210_Ds_TRU_MegaDeals.pdf

slightpirate fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 3, 2010

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

InfinEight posted:

Nice, high-res Ninjago pics. Throwing stars, samurai helmets, new skeletons? There goes all my money for next year.

EDIT: The new wave of Hero Factory looks like it'll have some really interesting and really useful parts as well.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=453459

So I'm gonna leave some room in the budget I think.

:niggly: : the new face of Legosss

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Welp today they put all the advent calendars on sale for 10 bucks at my Lego store and since I got 30% employee discount on top of that I ended up with a Kingdoms calendar for 7€. I knew waiting would pay off. And I got to open three doors at once :3:

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Katana Gomai posted:

Welp today they put all the advent calendars on sale for 10 bucks at my Lego store and since I got 30% employee discount on top of that I ended up with a Kingdoms calendar for 7€. I knew waiting would pay off. And I got to open three doors at once :3:

Holy crap. Do you know if that is spanning all stores, including us Americans?

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

planetary gears!

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

ireladd posted:

Holy crap. Do you know if that is spanning all stores, including us Americans?

Well it's at least all Lego stores here in Germany and since advent calendars "expire" everywhere around the world at the same time...give your store a call, and hurry up because we sold a ridiculous amount of them today.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Fayez Butts posted:

planetary gears!

Thats the standard wheel from the Power Miners line. The gearing is used in an autoturning drill bit.

Also I just picked up some of the Series 3 minifigs. Got a couple doubles due to the harsh lighting in TRU but the dimples are easier to pick out when there is a good shadow along the edge. Managed to get 2 elves. Heads up though as the Samurai seems really cheap quality even compared to the other minifigs.

Evek fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 3, 2010

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Well having been shut out of series 1 minifigs, I happen to stumble upon what I consider is the motherload of series 2 minifigs today. Having never actually seen minifigs in store, I immediately bought them out. All 79 minifigs they had, and they were only selling them for a $1.79 a piece.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Spy posted:

Well having been shut out of series 1 minifigs, I happen to stumble upon what I consider is the motherload of series 2 minifigs today. Having never actually seen minifigs in store, I immediately bought them out. All 79 minifigs they had, and they were only selling them for a $1.79 a piece.

Don't leave us hanging! What store? Yours may not have any more, but if it's a chain, maybe others are doing it.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Spy posted:

Really just out of curiosity, I keep hearing of people buy tons of the minifigs. Is the goal to simply get a complete set and then sell off all others, or return the leftovers? What's the typical motivation with the bulk buy? It seems like a lot of work once you've gotten the 16 and maybe a few additional of your favorites.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Jesus christ, those nunchuk handles. Those are some truly awesome bits.

edit: OH gently caress, are the legs on this guy just a clip with a straight rod sticking out that you push into the feet parts, or all one piece? Former would be UNBELIEVABLE, the latter would be horrible.

Click here for the full 1254x1404 image.

hell, that whole figure is amazing.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 4, 2010

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

ireladd posted:

Really just out of curiosity, I keep hearing of people buy tons of the minifigs. Is the goal to simply get a complete set and then sell off all others, or return the leftovers? What's the typical motivation with the bulk buy? It seems like a lot of work once you've gotten the 16 and maybe a few additional of your favorites.

Because having an army of 30 forestmen and 30 spartans never gets old.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
I know if I had the funds, I'd totally have a spaceport full of Series 1 space guys and robots, plus the new Blacktrons from Series 3.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
Whoa, whoa, whoa.
How the hell did this slip past me?
This thing kicks rear end.

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007
Picked http://shop.lego.com/product/?p=3181&LangId=2057&ShipTo=US up today for $30 at Target. Pretty happy with it overall, though the control tower seems kinda unnecessary.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Well after opening them all, I can tell you that I only got ONE complete set ladies and gents.

Surprise of all the lots was I only got one of the pop singer.

Here was the rundown:

3x Explorer
6x Vampire
7x Karate Guy
2x Pharaoh
4x Pamela Anderson
8x Weightlifter
1x Pop Singer
7x Witch
4x Mime
7x Traffic Cop
6x Maraca Man
3x Spartan
4x Disco Guy
4x Skier
4x Surfer
8x Ringmaster

I would be open to trade with others for ones I am looking for and or sell to some goons.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Dr. Platypus posted:

Picked http://shop.lego.com/product/?p=3181&LangId=2057&ShipTo=US up today for $30 at Target. Pretty happy with it overall, though the control tower seems kinda unnecessary.

I think it's actually a Precision Approach Radar.

Ninja Bob
Nov 20, 2002

Bleak Gremlin

Spy posted:

Well after opening them all, I can tell you that I only got ONE complete set ladies and gents.

Surprise of all the lots was I only got one of the pop singer.

Here was the rundown:

3x Explorer
6x Vampire
7x Karate Guy
2x Pharaoh
4x Pamela Anderson
8x Weightlifter
1x Pop Singer
7x Witch
4x Mime
7x Traffic Cop
6x Maraca Man
3x Spartan
4x Disco Guy
4x Skier
4x Surfer
8x Ringmaster

I would be open to trade with others for ones I am looking for and or sell to some goons.

The only two I need to complete my series 2 set are a Spartan and a Skier, so if you'd be up for selling me those two, I would be very happy. PM me.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Don't know if you're trying to build another complete set or two, but if not, I'd definitely be interested in a Spartan and a Weightlifter. PM me if you're up for it!

My fiancee found a half-ravaged box at the Burlingame FM in the Portland area. I know there's a mime, witch, vampire, lifeguard, mexican, traffic cop, and three others I can't remember. It looks like some retailers might have been keeping a box or two in reserve as stocking stuffers.

Fake edit: $2.99. drat capitalism!

Edit 2: Just to put it out there, I have an extra S1 Woodsman that I'd be happy to sell/trade.

Blue Moonlight fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Dec 4, 2010

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

My TRU has 2 full boxes of Series 3 minifigs on their front counter that have like 1 or 2 gone from each. Can't bring myself to spend 2.99 a piece when I can't figure out which are which. All I want is the Samurai.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

The Rage posted:

All I want is the Samurai.

I'm kinda disappointed Ninjago doesn't have more Samurai, but maybe the second wave will. Anyway, I took advantage of the TRU buy one get one 1/2 off:

Total cost: ~$37, so even with the TRU markup it's about 5.5 cents per piece. I mostly wanted the hammerhead dude, but it's really hard to hold back on payday :20bux:

Ebenezer
Mar 21, 2007

For those of you with the City Advent calendar... what is today's (December 4th) piece? We're debating it in our house.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Captain Invictus posted:

Jesus christ, those nunchuk handles. Those are some truly awesome bits.

edit: OH gently caress, are the legs on this guy just a clip with a straight rod sticking out that you push into the feet parts, or all one piece? Former would be UNBELIEVABLE, the latter would be horrible.

Click here for the full 1254x1404 image.

hell, that whole figure is amazing.

I can't imagine how the leg would be welded to the boot if they were considered just one part.

Unless someone can come up with an example of two different coloured pieces being irrevocably joined together, I think they have to be separate.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
So this is a little bit off topic, but I really hope it doesn't derail the thread.

My 4 year old is just now asking for "big boy blocks". Finally, he's graduated from the mega blocks and all that other stuff. He wants real legos. I have a box out in the garage from my childhood that I'm going to pass on to him, but it's really just not quite as thorough as I remember it being (everything seemed bigger when you were a kid).

I've been browsing Ebay a little, and wanted some professional goon opinions.

I'm wanting to get him started with just a large amount of random blocks, no specific sets (Star Wars, whatever). As a kid I was never one to follow the instructions and build the sets the "right way", and he's a very creative kid too.

Anybody know of any good deals like that? I'm not wanting to spend more than 20 or 30 bucks at the moment, if possible.

Nestorix
Aug 3, 2006

exotic particles

Ebenezer posted:

For those of you with the City Advent calendar... what is today's (December 4th) piece? We're debating it in our house.

We think It is a miniature version of this:

Ted Stevens
Jun 2, 2007

by T. Finn
Oh poo poo! I haven't been doing my LEGO advent calendar. I've got a little catching up to do. THen again, I was too busy building my Imperial Flagship.

antiloquax
Feb 23, 2008

by Ozma

Nestorix posted:

We think It is a miniature version of this:

Yep.

It sucks that the boy already has two presents.

I opened it up to ensure that everyone in the family got things they'd like, because nobody wants to get all the miniature versions of toys, but looking at the layout, it's pretty evenly balanced for a family of 4. Or I might just be saying that because I'm getting both Santas.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Hit up Toys R' Us and got the last Angler attack and scarab set they had. Loving the little scarab. Used the 50% off to get that seabed scavenger (I think that's the name) as a Christmas gift for my gf's little sister who likes legos.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
Am I cute? uguu~

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
Series 4 minifigs. The radiation worker, the mad scientist, and the hockey player are the standouts for me. Also maybe frankenstein's monster and the viking.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Hobnob posted:

Series 4 minifigs. The radiation worker, the mad scientist, and the hockey player are the standouts for me. Also maybe frankenstein's monster and the viking.

I loving MUST own that hockey minifig. Wow, he even has protruding shoulder pads. Nice.

All in all, this is a really nice series.

Is the other sports figure with the trophy a soccer player?

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Oh my dear sweet jaysus I need that mad scientist.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I want that drat sailor so bad.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I know it wasn't much of a deal, but I paid the TRU markup on the Sonic Boom and a Toy Story set for daughter in order to score a minifig USB drive. Whoohoo.

I was looking for an excuse to pick up the Sonic Boom anyway. I also picked up a Best-Lock for shits and giggles (the minifig looks so drat sad). That crap isn't even worth ironically making fun of it.

antiloquax
Feb 23, 2008

by Ozma

Revol posted:

Is the other sports figure with the trophy a soccer player?

I'm tempted to say it's Messi.

That's a pretty spiffy set of minifigs.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I just want the guitar. I don't care about the rest of the minifig.

lmao zebong
Nov 25, 2006

NBA All-Injury First Team
Looking through this thread I didn't see too much LEGO Mindstorms discussion but I don't really see any other relevant place to post this and I want to share!
For my Artifical Intelligence class I built a robot that can solve a maze. The example I have here is pretty small (a 5x4 maze) but the Mindstorms memory could potentially handle something as big as 20x20. This robot has position detection, orientation direction, and whenever it hits a dead end or a place that it has visited all possible directions it backtracks until it gets to a new unexplored path. I had a huge amount of fun building this and programming it and if there is anybody in this thread on the fence about getting a Mindstorms set I can't recommend it enough!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMEnopw9Pto

If anybody has any questions about the details of how it works feel free to ask!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Is that a geisha? And a musketeer? And a gnome? This is the best series yet!