Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY
Redacted, by request

Lilosh fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Dec 4, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

JudicialRestraints posted:

Put the letter from the access group in the prepaid envelop northeastern sent you.

Send it.

this is the correct answer.

calmasahinducow
Oct 31, 2004
i am a pirate of the high seas

scribe jones posted:

yeah i mean you gotta do this. alternatively take a photo of your middle finger and send that in.

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

scribe jones posted:

actually it's northeastern so the envelope probably isn't even prepaid lmao. hope you have $0.44 left over after buying whiskey!!

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.
Anyone have ideas for non-legal jobs in Austin? I've been applying to office jobs/pretty much anything I can find that isn't retail/food service and I've got nothing so far.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

So tonight I have to write another 1000 words for one paper, polish up another, and rewrite/add to a third based on comments received when I presented it to a government body today. That'll bring me to Saturday, which gives me 48 hours to research and write a paper that's 7500 words minimum.

I'm doing 3L entirely wrong.

Seriously considering cocaine now

Coke will just make you not give a poo poo about any stupid papers and be happy, this is a good strategy as long as you can keep doing cocaine forever

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Defenestration posted:

By living in the United States, you consent to constant and systemic violations of your person and property in order to further entrench and enrich the ruling class

:smugzinn:

Yea pretty much this.

Edit: also I didn't give Petey the lmaos he deserved with the "old fashioned" joke a week ago, sorry. Here is a belated lmao.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
So in this Maryland required ethics seminar I have been advised to break over a half dozen ethical canons within 2 hours. Like "this is how to pad your bill" and lying is ok and threatening opposing counsel with a hatchet is an ok thing to promise your client you'll do.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

gently caress it, I'm going to the UH-UNLV game and getting bombed tonight. It doesn't count if it's a Saturday right?

Litany
Feb 5, 2005
the stains become a warning?
After some careful analysis...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Litany posted:

After some careful analysis...

Counterpoint: My ex only got a 154 on the LSAT. She went to a TTT same as me. She is now an attorney with DOJ.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Stunt Rock posted:

Counterpoint: My ex only got a 154 on the LSAT. She went to a TTT same as me. She is now an attorney with DOJ.

Counterpoint: Every other piece of evidence in this thread.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

HiddenReplaced posted:

Well duh but it's a particularly frustrating and stinging counter-example.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

HiddenReplaced posted:

To the contrary, if you are a midlevel patent litigator who graduated in top 15% of a T14 school, and have an undergrad degree in EE, CompE, or CS, there are options out there!

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Stunt Rock posted:

My cousin didn't break 150 iirc. He graduated in '09 from Touro and is in JAG now.

but he also was a terrific student who had wonderful LORs, just tests incredibly poorly

Anthropolis
Jun 9, 2002

Yeah what's the deal with JAG? Barry Law of Florida keeps running admissions ads in my university newspaper with their "success stories" - they've all gone on to JAG.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

gvibes posted:

To the contrary, if you are a midlevel patent litigator who graduated in top 15% of a T14 school, and have an undergrad degree in EE, CompE, or CS, there are options out there!

First I read that as "medieval patent litigator". That job would be awesome. patenting things like leeches and sandwiches

Though it would be one of the more boring exhibits at King Richard's Faire

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Anthropolis posted:

Yeah what's the deal with JAG? Barry Law of Florida keeps running admissions ads in my university newspaper with their "success stories" - they've all gone on to JAG.

The deal with JAG is that it's wonderful. It's also very difficult to get into anymore. The pay, benefits, and work hours of a military officer is going to be far superior to the job opportunities of the overwhelming majority of law students.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

How messed up is this profession that the military is one of the cushier jobs you can get

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

Ainsley McTree posted:

How messed up is this profession that the military is one of the cushier jobs you can get

pretty messed up!!

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

William Munny posted:

Anyone have ideas for non-legal jobs in Austin? I've been applying to office jobs/pretty much anything I can find that isn't retail/food service and I've got nothing so far.

Work QA for one of the many, many videogame companies in the area.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Ainsley McTree posted:

First I read that as "medieval patent litigator". That job would be awesome. patenting things like leeches and sandwiches

I also read it as medieval patent litigator.

"Studying for finals" isn't really that bad which means I'm probably doing it wrong but whatever. Hopefully I can music-man this bitch.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

Ainsley McTree posted:

A delivery system for meat (fig 1) and bread (fig 2)...

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Alaemon posted:

A delivery system for meat (fig 1) and bread (fig 2)...

If it sinks it's protected

If it floats it's an infringement and must be burned

Are those patent terms? I dunno I'm barely a lawyer

Leon Kowalski
Dec 9, 2007

Wolf Den this is Lone Wolf, do you read? Prepare for emergency landing, arriving with American POWs!

Ainsley McTree posted:

If it sinks it's protected novel.

If it floats it's an infringement anticipated and must be burned

FTFY :eng101:

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.

Solomon Grundy posted:

If I worked out of my basement and billed and collected 1000 hours per year at $100 per hour with no overhead, that would be pretty good, too. But I don't generate enough of my own clients to make that feasible.
This is basically the analysis I've done. If I can manage 20 billable hrs/week (and collect on it) a year after a few years, I'll be loving ecstatic. Hell, just 10 billable hours a week is $50k at $100/hr (and the going rate where I am, even for a new lawyer, is much higher than that). Even after taxes and (low) overhead that's not a terrible living, and I think after a 3-5 years I should be able to gross six figures.

I think it's possible to have an office that has a very professional presentation without killing yourself on overhead. I like to think I've done a good job at keeping my overhead low - I'm in an office share and split an office with a close friend of mine from law school. I use Google Voice for a free business number and an online fax number for faxes (even though faxes are so loving outdated it frustrates me when I have to use it).

Besides rent, the biggest overhead expense I have is by far malpractice insurance. In Oregon, we're required to have malpractice insurance through the state-bar run insurance company. I will pay around $2500 next year for coverage, and that is with a discount for new members of the bar (not because they feel sorry for us, but because newer lawyers have less clients and still actually call their clients back). Add in another $450 in bar dues, just to have the privilege of saying "I'm a lawyer."

My understanding is in other states malpractice insurance isn't run by the bar and thus is far cheaper, which annoys the hell out of me, but whatever.

The experience of starting a practice has educated me on how a firm operates, and if I ever have the opportunity and/or decide I want to be an associate, I'll be a better employee because I understand how a lot of this poo poo works. I've talked to my friends who have taken firm positions, and it's a bit scary how little they know about the basics of being a lawyer, like how IOLTA accounting should work and even what system they use for conflict checks beyond "I just hand the client intake sheet to the receptionist."

And yeah, rainmaking is a fundamental challenge. It's especially hard for me since I am not a natural schmoozer and I don't have the budget for a really significant marketing campaign, but I'm constantly working at it and I guess only time will tell whether I'll be successful or not. I do not blame people at all for partnering up/working for a firm where they don't have to worry about bringing clients in.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

What is claimed is:

1. A formulation capable of delivering an effective dose of active ingredient over a prolonged period of time without upsetting the balance of humours so as to create active ingredient products comprising about 65 to about 75 percent by weight of active ingredient.

2. The formulation of claim 1 wherein the active ingredient is arsenic and wherein the formulation is useful in the therapeutic treatment of black death.

3. The formulation of claim 2 in the form of a poultice.

4. A method of treating black death in humans comprising administering an effective amount of the formulation of claim 2.

5. The method of claim 4 wherein administering an effective amount of the formulation further comprises: soaking the formulation in a soft moist mass; heating the soft moist mass; and spreading the soft moist mass on cloth over skin.

6. The method of claim 4 further comprising drawing out evil vapours.

7. The method of claim 6 wherein the evil vapours are drawn out by administering about 3 to about 6 leeches over a prolonged period of time.

8. The method of claim 7 further comprising: determining that the evil vapours have been drawn out; determining that the humours are in balance; and stopping the administration of leeches.

9. The method of claim 7 further comprising administering about 3 additional leeches during springtime and/or to patients having a sanguine temperament.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Dec 5, 2010

Colorblind Pilot
Dec 29, 2006
Enageg!1
My friend toured Cooley this weekend because he was in Lansing and applied there. They told him that Cooley is ranked higher than UCLA (his UG)....how does Cooley get away with claiming they're ranked higher than UCLA? Isn't UCLA like 15th and Cooley is somewhere in the hundreds?

JohnnyTreachery
Dec 7, 2000
thats the beauty of making your own ranking system

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Colorblind Pilot posted:

My friend toured Cooley this weekend because he was in Lansing and applied there. They told him that Cooley is ranked higher than UCLA (his UG)....how does Cooley get away with claiming they're ranked higher than UCLA? Isn't UCLA like 15th and Cooley is somewhere in the hundreds?

Cooley makes up their own ranking system :ssh:

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Cooley: We're ranked higher than UCLA in number of snow days

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

mushi posted:

I think it's possible to have an office that has a very professional presentation without killing yourself on overhead. I like to think I've done a good job at keeping my overhead low - I'm in an office share and split an office with a close friend of mine from law school. I use Google Voice for a free business number and an online fax number for faxes (even though faxes are so loving outdated it frustrates me when I have to use it).

I agree completely. Unfortunately, my partners don't know how to use computers and dictate everything for transcription. One of my partners doesn't even have a computer, and any emails go to his secretary, who prints them out and puts them in in his inbox, where he can dictate responses. If I was not reliant upon these folks to generate work for me, I could escape a ton of overhead.

mushi posted:

And yeah, rainmaking is a fundamental challenge. It's especially hard for me since I am not a natural schmoozer and I don't have the budget for a really significant marketing campaign, but I'm constantly working at it and I guess only time will tell whether I'll be successful or not. I do not blame people at all for partnering up/working for a firm where they don't have to worry about bringing clients in.

I do worry about bringing clients in, because at the end of the year, everyone forgets that they needed me to do the actual work. Instead, they look at the columns of numbers representing what everyone billed and collected, and my number is small and their number is big.

But beyond the frustrations I mention above, I don't have a lot of worries. I hand the conflict check form to a secretary, I give any checks and invoices to the office manager, my bar dues get paid and someone reports my CLE hours for me. My partners generate some very interesting work and I have lots of autonomy after they send it over to me. My draw check never bounces, and when I have a challenging situation, there are greybeards to bounce it off of.

For those benefits, I give away a lot of money that I could capture if I had their clients and my comfort level with technology.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ersatz posted:

What is claimed is:

1. A formulation capable of delivering an effective dose of active ingredient over a prolonged period of time without upsetting the balance of humours so as to create active ingredient products comprising about 65 to about 75 percent by weight of active ingredient.

2. The formulation of claim 1 wherein the active ingredient is arsenic and wherein the formulation is useful in the therapeutic treatment of black death.

3. The formulation of claim 2 in the form of a poultice.

4. A method of treating black death in humans comprising administering an effective amount of the formulation of claim 2.

5. The method of claim 4 wherein administering an effective amount of the formulation further comprises: soaking the formulation in a soft moist mass; heating the soft moist mass; and spreading the soft moist mass on cloth over skin.

6. The method of claim 4 further comprising drawing out evil vapours.

7. The method of claim 6 wherein the evil vapours are drawn out by administering about 3 to about 6 leeches over a prolonged period of time.

8. The method of claim 7 further comprising: determining that the evil vapours have been drawn out; determining that the humours are in balance; and stopping the administration of leeches.

9. The method of claim 7 further comprising administering about 3 additional leeches during springtime and/or to patients having a sanguine temperament.

all claims rejected under 103, claims 4-9 rejected under 112 2nd, claims 7-9 rejected under 112 2nd.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

all claims rejected under 103, claims 4-9 rejected under 112 2nd, claims 7-9 rejected under 112 2nd.

I love tax law, so I'm no stranger to arcane things, but my god this whole line of medieval patent stuff is incredibly gross. How do you people stay awake?!

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

Ainsley McTree posted:

The only IP terms I know are "novel and nonobvious" and that's because I have a friend who practices in that field and that's one of the headers on her blog.

TheSqueeze
Jun 27, 2005
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGPahA5WSCw&feature=player_embedded!

"My outline is 800 pages long, you pimp!" should be in every law school brochure, under a picture of a smiling, attractive, diverse looking law student. Also all law students should bite on unlit tobacco pipes in the library.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

TheSqueeze posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGPahA5WSCw&feature=player_embedded!

"My outline is 800 pages long, you pimp!" should be in every law school brochure, under a picture of a smiling, attractive, diverse looking law student. Also all law students should bite on unlit tobacco pipes in the library.

I'm kind of surprised there hasn't been more Law Revue parodying this scene because most Law Revue is stupid

BTW I have an idea for a video and it's going to be fabulous

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
Just thought I would come post this for a little exam demotivation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%96Kruger_effect

Wikipedia posted:

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which unskilled people make poor decisions and reach erroneous conclusions, but their incompetence denies them the metacognitive ability to realize their mistakes.[1] The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their own ability as above average, much higher than it actually is, while the highly skilled underrate their abilities, suffering from illusory inferiority. This leads to the situation in which less competent people rate their own ability higher than more competent people. It also explains why actual competence may weaken self-confidence. Competent individuals falsely assume that others have an equivalent understanding. "Thus, the miscalibration of the incompetent stems from an error about the self, whereas the miscalibration of the highly competent stems from an error about others."

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I forgot to reject claims 1-3 under 112 2nd also

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Omerta posted:

Just thought I would come post this for a little exam demotivation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%96Kruger_effect
lawschool.jpg