Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

aliencowboy posted:

You don't understand, Ben. Your camera takes great pictures.
This freaked me the gently caress out since it's my actual name.

subx posted:

It's amazing.
The only teaching I ever do when I pass my camera around is "half press to focus with the center point, then recompose and shoot" and it seems to work all right. Also put it on single shot advance or it'll startle people (or don't, especially funny with a d300s on continuous-high).

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Dec 3, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

poopinmymouth posted:

If you have a constant stream of art students through your door, it WILL destroy your will to teach the dumbasses, claiming otherwise is ignorance. Seriously, you just don't understand how soul killing it is to be passionate about teaching, knowledgeable about a subject, be told you are getting a class of students who want your knowledge, and then they do dick all homework, spending 20 min on a recommended 4-8 hour project, or 2+ hours on a 40 hour project.

This part is true for any university teaching, I've had very similar experiences with engineering students who think they can just cruise through a degree just like high school.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I was looking for a russian rangefinder, and I came across a Leica II for 86 quid!

Then on closer inspection :ohdear:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I think a lot of people are confusing technical instruction with art criticism. I have an extensive amount of experience teaching EMTs and Paramedics. That's easy, if they do something wrong you correct them and explain why it was wrong and what could be done better the next time. If we were discussing a physical skill then I could show the class how to do it until everyone understood. I can't even imagine how difficult it would be to teach an abstract (in comparison) subject like art.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

8th-samurai posted:

I think a lot of people are confusing technical instruction with art criticism. I have an extensive amount of experience teaching EMTs and Paramedics. That's easy, if they do something wrong you correct them and explain why it was wrong and what could be done better the next time. If we were discussing a physical skill then I could show the class how to do it until everyone understood. I can't even imagine how difficult it would be to teach an abstract (in comparison) subject like art.

But that's not even what we're debating. This isn't a person honestly trying and not getting it, 90% (and that's if you're lucky, probably closer to 98%) just phone it in with no effort or time put into the project whatsoever.

Photography is interesting in that even a horribly taken photo is still an accurate representation of perspective, color, value and volume, whereas a lovely charcoal drawing won't necessarily look like anything. It is super obvious if a painting student spent 20 minutes painting their project before class. It's not so obvious with a photo. That said, I am pretty sure a good photography professor can tell when a student has done the barest minimum.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

aliencowboy posted:

You don't understand, Ben. Your camera takes great pictures.

Yeah, and no one with a "GOOD camera" is going to lend it to this guy. All I do is press the button so it seemed to baffle him that I would charge for ten pictures when he sent me a message about my response.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

poopinmymouth posted:

But that's not even what we're debating. This isn't a person honestly trying and not getting it, 90% (and that's if you're lucky, probably closer to 98%) just phone it in with no effort or time put into the project whatsoever.

Photography is interesting in that even a horribly taken photo is still an accurate representation of perspective, color, value and volume, whereas a lovely charcoal drawing won't necessarily look like anything. It is super obvious if a painting student spent 20 minutes painting their project before class. It's not so obvious with a photo. That said, I am pretty sure a good photography professor can tell when a student has done the barest minimum.

Right, it is easier to learn the technical aspects of photography than drawing. I know this because my charcoal drawings will never progress beyond stick figures.

I meant that technical proficiency is only a small part of creating art with a camera. Mostly of the other responses from people wanted to know why the teacher in the video didn't provide any guidance other than "Suck less at this next time".

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

poopinmymouth posted:

If you have a constant stream of art students through your door, it WILL destroy your will to teach the dumbasses, claiming otherwise is ignorance. Seriously, you just don't understand how soul killing it is to be passionate about teaching, knowledgeable about a subject, be told you are getting a class of students who want your knowledge, and then they do dick all homework, spending 20 min on a recommended 4-8 hour project, or 2+ hours on a 40 hour project.

Conversely, I was never keen on how teachers and professors insisted on giving assignments as if students were taking one class only and could dedicate every single free moment of their time to them as opposed to managing a full class load and working part time to cover the bills.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

HPL posted:

Conversely, I was never keen on how teachers and professors insisted on giving assignments as if students were taking one class only and could dedicate every single free moment of their time to them as opposed to managing a full class load and working part time to cover the bills.

I remember taking an intro to drawing class in my sophomore year just for a generic fine arts credit. She expected us to put 20 hours minimum into our weekly projects, and despite having 6 hours of class a week, we never got to work on our projects in class. Of course this is what she said, but she went really easy on the non-art majors, so it wasn't too bad. I know some professors won't give a gently caress what your major is or why you're there, though, and will just expect the same level of work from anyone in the class.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

Mannequin posted:

Don't you think there's a disservice in not being constructive, though?

If the work is thoughtless you can't give it a thoughtful critique. I think that art school is no different from any other discipline at any other kind of university - 90% of the people will be coasting through with an average effort doing average work. The problem in photography is that average work takes almost zero effort. Nothing was more frustrating for me in school than having to sit through 3 hours of some professor trying to give equal time to every loving I-shot-my-roommate-at-the-very-last-minute-and-clearly-did-not-give-a-gently caress-about-the-assignment project.

Obviously if the work was thoughtfully made but is flawed in some way then that is what class time should be devoted to - actual discussion and critique. Art school is not show and tell though, if you show up with some bullshit your classmates who do actually care and are drowning in student debt to be there shouldn't have to do more than go "try sucking less, next".

I know I've said this before but when I was in school it was really, really obvious which students were actually going to go on and work in the industry in some capacity. The majority of kids were just showing up and wasting everyone's time (and I guess their parents money), doing the minimum. People who teach must be a lot more patient than me because I couldn't do it.

quote:

After the 101-102 level classes you don't really talk about the technical stuff very much at all, it's just assumed that whatever you did was intentional so you get down to talking about what the work is really about and what it communicates. Which is why there is nothing to really say to people who put no thought into their work, no technical change would magically make it interesting and you can't tell someone who doesn't want to communicate anything in their work what they should be communicating.

quote:

Why? This is how clients treat you in the real world. The extreme work load they give you at art schools is one of the big reasons to me to go - it forces you to build the habits of just getting up every day and spending your time working. If you can't do it with deadlines and professors breathing down your neck, you will never be able to do it on your own.

edit:

poop - speaking of good professors - did you ever take Nolan at our alma mater? I have a print of hers hanging in my office and every time I look at it I hear her Wisconsin accent telling me to shut the gently caress up and go make something.

brad industry fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 3, 2010

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
This is why I'm sad the Art thread died. Right now it's hard for me to say "yes I have something to communicate in my photos". I've taken a ton of stuff over the past year, and working hard on listening to the critiques here and elsewhere, but still I feel like I've gone backwards in many ways. I don't know if having a teacher would help me figure any of that out.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

brad industry posted:

poop - speaking of good professors - did you ever take Nolan at our alma mater? I have a print of hers hanging in my office and every time I look at it I hear her Wisconsin accent telling me to shut the gently caress up and go make something.

I didn't, because I did my foundation courses at VCU, only took 3D classes at SCAD. I do remember the kick-rear end pastel portrait asian professor who told my one friend, "no no, this is all wrong, you do it right next time, or I kill you." In a totally deadpan tone and super strong asian accent.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I had a guy with a thick accent say to me "I kill you two times!" when I did something wrong.

Also, I think that the prof. there would probably said something more constructive to someone worth the effort. Maybe the clip would have been better if it had shown someone worth giving crit to getting it.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
I had a sociology professor who asked the class, "What should I do? Should I sodomize him?" after he saw me using my phone in class.

This is the same professor who, trying to get class responses, said "[if you speak up], I'll let you kiss Wally!" (Wally was his service dog; he had a seizure disorder). Then, after still no one answered, he said "I'll let you go rear end-to-mouth with Wally! No, I'm kidding. You never go rear end-to-mouth." (I think he thought going "rear end-to-mouth" meant kissing/licking someone's rear end, not the other definition.)

Oh, and you should be reading all of these quotes in an Australian accent.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

poopinmymouth posted:

I didn't, because I did my foundation courses at VCU, only took 3D classes at SCAD. I do remember the kick-rear end pastel portrait asian professor who told my one friend, "no no, this is all wrong, you do it right next time, or I kill you." In a totally deadpan tone and super strong asian accent.

VCU in Richmond?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

HPL posted:

My Torts professor, first year of law school had a very easy answer to this same dilemma (typically, 200+ pages to read per day, and you're advised to read each assignment more than once): "Sleep faster."

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Twenties Superstar posted:

In math class a cross photoshopped on the white house would pass because the assignment is images that depict culture and an image of the white house with a cross certainly depicts a view of American culture.

For the two to be comparable you'd have to say the challenge was to depict culture in a meaningful way, otherwise there would be no way for the two to arrive at the same conclusion.

But I wasn't comparing art to math, I was comparing the professor's teaching methods to teaching methods you would find in a math class. A good math teacher will explain why a student solved a problem incorrectly, showing examples of what he could have done differently to get it right. I think the same could have been done with the professor in the video. It's no good if you just say "you did it wrong" or "it sucks" without providing substantial backing to your statement if you have any hope of the student actually learning anything. In that sense, teaching art is (or should be) like teaching math.

I am essentially responding to the professor's quick one-liners - "this is boring" or "this sucks", etc. I think he did an okay job getting his point across about why the restaurant shots were a failure, but overall he did a crappy job explaining himself.

brad industry posted:

If the work is thoughtless you can't give it a thoughtful critique.

You can say it's thoughtless and that's a thoughtful critique, or at least the beginning of one. You might follow it up by saying "here's something that's not thoughtless" and show them side by side. You don't need to spend a lot of time on it, as long as the point is made.

Mannequin fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 4, 2010

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

Mannequin posted:

For the two to be comparable you'd have to say the challenge was to depict culture in a meaningful way, otherwise there would be no way for the two to arrive at the same conclusion.

But I wasn't comparing art to math, I was comparing the professor's teaching methods to teaching methods you would find in a math class. A good math teacher will explain why a student solved a problem incorrectly, showing examples of what he could have done differently to get it right. I think the same could have been done with the professor in the video. It's no good if you just say "you did it wrong" or "it sucks" without providing substantial backing to your statement if you have any hope of the student actually learning anything. In that sense, teaching art is (or should be) like teaching math.

I am essentially responding to the professor's quick one-liners - "this is boring" or "this sucks", etc. I think he did an okay job getting his point across about why the restaurant shots were a failure, but overall he did a crappy job explaining himself.

The method is NECESSARILY different because in art there is nothing to solve incorrectly!! When someone hands in an improperly solved question in math you can tell them exactly how to make it right and show them where they went wrong. In art class when you hand in an assignment and the idea is bad it's not because you took a wrong turn with your figures. The prof can't just come in and straighten out your error because the error is endemic in the way you think and your dedication to the craft not simply in poor execution. If the student is someone who honestly thinks that a cross on the white house is a valuable piece of art and aren't just lazy then there is probably nothing a prof can do for them beyond saying "this is obvious and stupid".

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

The method is NECESSARILY different because in art there is nothing to solve incorrectly!!

Yes, there can be!

When someone hands in an improperly solved question in math you can tell them exactly how to make it right and show them where they went wrong. In art class when you hand in an assignment and the idea is bad it's not because you took a wrong turn with your figures.

The two aren't exactly equatable so in art we're not talking about numbers. But we can take wrong turns in art. If a photo I take is boring because the concept is unoriginal, (like you see with the Model Mayhem photographers), this is a problem that can potentially be "solved". I can change my behavior. I can learn that I was stuck trying to be technically proficient instead of focusing on the concept. I can see what other portrait photographers have done that made their photos interesting. In time I can change and create better work, so in this sense it is like finding a solution to a problem.

The prof can't just come in and straighten out your error because the error is endemic in the way you think

As I said before, people who have no hope of achieving any form of success because they lack the talent/the vision/whatever, should probably be told sooner than later to get out. But someone who is eager to learn might actually learn something eventually with the right guidance.

If the student is someone who honestly thinks that a cross on the white house is a valuable piece of art and aren't just lazy then there is probably nothing a prof can do for them beyond saying "this is obvious and stupid".

If someone is interested in improving they would benefit from knowing why it's obvious and stupid.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Mannequin posted:

:words:

Too much guidance from the teacher would only lead a student to making images that the teacher liked or found interesting. I don't think you can give someone specific directions otherwise you might as well just shoot the photo for them next time.

"This is boring, suck less next time" is a perfectly valid and useful critique. Anyone with any sort of motivation will try harder to make an interesting piece of work next time. If you need to know why someone didn't like your work you aren't really improving yourself at all.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

8th-samurai posted:

Too much guidance from the teacher would only lead a student to making images that the teacher liked or found interesting.

Isn't that all you're going to find in an art class anyway? If a professor doesn't like a shot or find it interesting then why would he give it positive feedback? Which means that you're going to end up making photos to suit his tastes whether he says "great work" or gives you a lengthy, detailed explanation of why he thinks it's good.

Really, what you said highlights the problem with formally studying art. Art is so highly subjective as it is, and the stuff one professor loves another professor might think is crap, and there are so many ways to approach art. You can judge art on its own terms, on your terms, on the average viewer's terms, on the well-studied viewer's terms, etc. There's also the problem that art that is considered quality by other artists tends to be less commercially viable than "bad" art that's marketed to the masses.

It's especially strange with photography, where a photo that even an amateur photographer could point out a multitude of flaws in, might be considered amazing by someone who has no idea about the technical aspects and no interest in learning them. Do you tune your work to satisfy your own artistic needs, or do you tune it please the people who will pay you money for it? Can you find a happy medium?

I think woot fatigue has found a way to make very technically good photos that even someone who knows fuckall about photos will think are awesome and his style also happens to be very distinct and difficult to emulate. But there are a lot of people who take really technically good photos that the layman isn't going to be able to distinguish from something they could get from Sears portrait studio.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

Mannequin posted:

If a photo I take is boring because the concept is unoriginal, (like you see with the Model Mayhem photographers), this is a problem that can potentially be "solved". I can change my behavior.

All we're seeing is that one critique, not the weeks of discussion or whatever leading up to it. A critique is usually the last time you discuss the idea and project with your class (not the first), so in all likelihood these people were given plenty of guidance, suggestions, and feedback and then ignored it so they could continue on and make their dumb idea because they are either lazy or that terrible.

brad industry fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 4, 2010

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

I'm not a professional, not even a college photogrpahy student, just a rank amateur so I've never had anyone really critique anything I've shot.

These are videos from Sports Shooters college contest. All the entrants are college sports/journalism students and all the judges are Sports Illustrated employees.

Is this the normal reaction when you guys give your portfolio to someone? Just: "fine, yeah ok, like the color, could've been closer.." etc? That's the winners portfolio. Some of the losers are cut into a little deeper though.

http://www.sportsshooter.com/special_feature/student_contest-06/index.html

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

rockamiclikeavandal posted:

Is this the normal reaction when you guys give your portfolio to someone? Just: "fine, yeah ok, like the color, could've been closer.." etc? That's the winners portfolio. Some of the losers are cut into a little deeper though.

Pretty much. Those videos are a great watch since the pictures in them definitely run the gamut of 'things to avoid' or things to think about when making a photograph and the judges do a really good job of critiquing each photo. If there isn't a subject/purpose to be found then you say there is nothing there, its a bad photo and you move on. If its a great photo then it doesn't need a critique and you move on. If it could have been a good photo you state its major flaw, maybe how it could have been improved and then move on.
These videos also do a great job of showing how your portfolio is only as good as your weakest image. Seeing a couple great images followed by one that is worthless completely ruins the images that came before it.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

rockamiclikeavandal posted:

I'm not a professional, not even a college photogrpahy student, just a rank amateur so I've never had anyone really critique anything I've shot.

These are videos from Sports Shooters college contest. All the entrants are college sports/journalism students and all the judges are Sports Illustrated employees.

These are really fascinating. Thanks for posting them.

Anyone know of any other places with real time audio critiques of portfolios? It's really insightful.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

mr. mephistopheles posted:

These are really fascinating. Thanks for posting them.

Anyone know of any other places with real time audio critiques of portfolios? It's really insightful.

cpoy.org has a bunch. its kind of depressing to see what I think are really great photos, just get tore down. theres no hope for my stuff.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
^ :argh:

CPOY records the later stages of their judging if you wanna check 'em out: http://www.cpoy.org/index.php?s=Podcast

Personally I find any sort of photo judging aggravating after a while, but it can be interesting in bits and pieces.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Thanks for those, I like Zack Arias critiques as well. It's fairly light hearted and he always tries to not critique the photographer/photo in a mean way, so most of the critiques are about how a photo could be better.

http://www.zarias.com/category/critique/page/2/

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
http://www.sportsshooter.com/special_feature/student_contest-06/souffle.html
One of the comments on Anthony Souffle's portfolio was, "Yeah, it looks like, ya know, it came out of professional camera". :doh:

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

spf3million posted:

http://www.sportsshooter.com/special_feature/student_contest-06/souffle.html
One of the comments on Anthony Souffle's portfolio was, "Yeah, it looks like, ya know, it came out of professional camera". :doh:

I'm watching them all, and I just finished that one, I'd like to think what he meant was:

"Yeah, it looks like, ya know, it came out of a professional's camera"

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Shmoogy posted:

Thanks for those, I like Zack Arias critiques as well. It's fairly light hearted and he always tries to not critique the photographer/photo in a mean way, so most of the critiques are about how a photo could be better.

http://www.zarias.com/category/critique/page/2/

I really enjoy these, thanks for linking them.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

I sort of decided to finally hop on that whole "blog" bandwagon thing that left a couple years ago, but I figure you guys might be interested... also if you have any ideas about things you might like to hear about, let me know :) Link

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

nonanone posted:

I sort of decided to finally hop on that whole "blog" bandwagon thing that left a couple years ago, but I figure you guys might be interested... also if you have any ideas about things you might like to hear about, let me know :) Link

Awesome! You're one of my favorite photographers around here so it'll be nice to read what you have to say as well as look at your pictures.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

VCU in Richmond?

Yep.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

poopinmymouth posted:

Yep.

How did you like it? Friend of mine is thinking of going for a masters in photography there.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

nonanone posted:

Who do you want to target with your blog? If it's other photogs, then I would like to know more about the fashion "world".

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

I'm hoping to target whoever is interested in specifically what I'm doing, rather than a larger more general audience, since there's already so many photo blogs out there. I wrote a little about shooting fashion shows here and people seemed to really like it, too bad it's such a minefield to write about politically :) but I'll definitely try to do more.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

nonanone posted:

I'm hoping to target whoever is interested in specifically what I'm doing, rather than a larger more general audience, since there's already so many photo blogs out there. I wrote a little about shooting fashion shows here and people seemed to really like it, too bad it's such a minefield to write about politically :) but I'll definitely try to do more.

redo the fashion thread btw! I've got a lot more things to post in it. I think it dropped off into the archives :(

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

nonanone posted:

I wrote a little about shooting fashion shows here and people seemed to really like it, too bad it's such a minefield to write about politically :) but I'll definitely try to do more.

Man, if you're fussed about a show starting 20-30 minutes late, you would absolutely hate shooting concerts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Does anyone have the link for the guy demonstrating pictures from a broken lens? I'm googling all sorts of poo poo and I can't find it!