Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

That's why I never kiss 'em on the mouth.

Tunga posted:

I have a quick question about strings.

I learned some classical guitar about eight years ago, took lessons for couple of years up until I went to university. I was never brilliant but I could pick out a tune and play some chords, enough to have some fun with it. During that period I also got an electric but I mostly stuck with my classical.

I've been really lazy and not played either for about three years but I want to pick up my electric again. I have an Aria Pro II Fullerton which I bought second hand from my teacher who had far too many guitars and was getting rid of some. I don't know if it's any good but that's what I have. It looks like this (with great apologies for the blurry old picture that was taken on whatever terrible camera phone I had when I got this thing):

The strings on it are looking pretty bad, they are starting to rust slightly in places. What strings do I need to replace them? I know that there are different options, is there a beginner's guide to buying strings somewhere? I know that taking my guitar to a music shop is the best idea but I don't have one very near to me and I don't drive, so if possible I just want to buy some online.

The amp I have is a cheap Fender 15R and never seemed that great, so might look at replacing that as well, but want to get the strings sorted first.

Thanks!

The only point I will make is that it looks like you have a tremolo aka whammy bar (i.e. floating bridge) which means the gauge of the strings can more significantly affect the tuning and intonation due to string tension. If you didn't see earlier in this thread this is precisely why I'm looking for a fixed bridge axe (so I can more easily use alternate tunings or string gauges). I'm not saying it's impossible to get everything nailed down on a tremolo guitar, just that it's potentially not worth the trouble--so for your guitar it might be best to just stick to the same gauge strings that is already on the guitar (assuming the bridge is level and everything else is good). I'd guess 9 or 10s. The alternative is simple but annoying--you have to balance the spring tension on the tremolo bridge with the string tension but that will require some back and forth (i.e. adjusting tension between the two) until you get something that is: in tune; has reasonable action; is set up correctly for intonation.

Anyhow: get the correct strings for the guitar as presently set up and avoid all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

Zakalwe posted:

Dan Auerbach uses a Maestro MFZ-1 fuzz box

Thank you! This reminded me I was really interested in getting a Big Muff Pi awhile back, and I had totally forgotten until now. Actually heading out to pick one up right now I think.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
What strings would you recommend getting for an Epiphone ej200?

I only have a choice out of these;

http://www.soundshop.ie/product-listings.php?cid=10&subid=481

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ChiliMac posted:

The only point I will make is that it looks like you have a tremolo aka whammy bar (i.e. floating bridge) which means the gauge of the strings can more significantly affect the tuning and intonation due to string tension. If you didn't see earlier in this thread this is precisely why I'm looking for a fixed bridge axe (so I can more easily use alternate tunings or string gauges). I'm not saying it's impossible to get everything nailed down on a tremolo guitar, just that it's potentially not worth the trouble--so for your guitar it might be best to just stick to the same gauge strings that is already on the guitar (assuming the bridge is level and everything else is good). I'd guess 9 or 10s. The alternative is simple but annoying--you have to balance the spring tension on the tremolo bridge with the string tension but that will require some back and forth (i.e. adjusting tension between the two) until you get something that is: in tune; has reasonable action; is set up correctly for intonation.

Anyhow: get the correct strings for the guitar as presently set up and avoid all that.

Thanks a lot, I will try to get the same gauge as is on there currently. I've restrung my acoustic before but didn't realise that the whammy bar added a level of complication to things. And thanks to the previous reply as well, I found a good deal on some D'addarios.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

What strings would you recommend getting for an Epiphone ej200?

I only have a choice out of these;

http://www.soundshop.ie/product-listings.php?cid=10&subid=481

We should have a string gauge thread or something, I've pretty much always used Lights which are apparently 12s (and I think the standard) but I just bought some 13s - might string my acoustic later! People seem to think 13s sound a lot better but it would be good to hear some opinions... anyway I guess get a set of 12s (12-5?), or 13s if you don't think the extra tension will make it too hard to play. The Earthtones ones are phosphor bronze so they shouldn't be as bright as the others, I've never heard of Rainbow and I have heard of Martins but that's up to you!

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
Hey, quick question for you all:

I just bought an Ibanez AS73B and the Peavey Vyper 30W yesterday and I'm finally getting a chance to play it. It sounds absolutely great but I'm a little concerned.

I ended up picking up the floor model at GC because they were having a 15% off sale and it plays and looks to be in perfect shape. My only concern is that while I'm playing and doing some bends (particularly on the G string), my guitar constantly goes out of tune. I feel like I might be applying to much pressure on the bends (since I'm coming from playing my acoustic guitar), but other places online have said that this is normal and it'll stop after a while.

If it doesn't, (if this is normal), then what should I do?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

What I'd try is tuning it up, making sure to bend each string at the 1st or 2nd fret to make sure the string isn't caught in the nut - if it's catching there'll be a tension difference, and bending could even it out and change the pitch. Tune, bend, tune, bend until the string is stable.

Otherwise it could be the strings, are they the old ones?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
For all my bluster about "gently caress it I don't need to learn that punk as gently caress hell yeah" I really need to work on being able to play by ear more. As it is, if I know what chords are in it, I can pick them each out, and I can tell if a tab is wrong or not, but I can't tell just by listening

Which is a problem, since I want to learn some songs that never have been and never will be tabbed

gently caress

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Well, I ordered a Vintage V100 in Flamed honeyburst from Dolphin Music. I had a go of one in my local music shop and fell in love with the thing. I'll be going into town on monday to get a tuner too.

As I've not really played before, would I be advised to have the thing checked over before attempting to use it, or should just getting a tuner work ok.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Falken posted:

Well, I ordered a Vintage V100 in Flamed honeyburst from Dolphin Music. I had a go of one in my local music shop and fell in love with the thing. I'll be going into town on monday to get a tuner too.

As I've not really played before, would I be advised to have the thing checked over before attempting to use it, or should just getting a tuner work ok.

Is it new or is it used? If it's used, definitely go get it checked out. Most places will charge you $50 US or thereabouts and they'll go through the basics, unless you ask for something a little more specific (ie I had to tell the guy to straighten my neck, it was included in the price but wasn't an ordinary service). They'll check the electronics, restring/retune, that kinda poo poo

If it's new, you could probably get away with just getting a tuner if you wanted, but feel free to take someone else's word on this over mine.

Tarnien
Jul 4, 2003
Champion of the World!!!

Dickeye posted:

For all my bluster about "gently caress it I don't need to learn that punk as gently caress hell yeah" I really need to work on being able to play by ear more. As it is, if I know what chords are in it, I can pick them each out, and I can tell if a tab is wrong or not, but I can't tell just by listening

Which is a problem, since I want to learn some songs that never have been and never will be tabbed

gently caress

On this note -- is it possible to just be unable to play by ear? I haven't been playing terribly long, but cannot seem to even begin to tell what chord/note anyone is playing. Just about the only thing I can tell is what string/region the note is in, but without playing the notes individually, I can never tell exactly what it is.

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

unpurposed posted:

Oh god, this is the best question since these are the exact amps I'm fighting between.

Update: I went down to best buy and tried out the Fender Mustang II and like it quite a lot (I bought it). I did a very brief comparison with the Peavey Vypyr 30W, Vox VT30 and Fender Mustang I; Mustang II won for me for the following reasons:
Controls are fairly simple (the Vypyr went overboard and I honestly had trouble figuring out how to work it)
Sound is great (VT30 and Vypyr probably have a similar capability but I didn't have quite the same ease of use to achieve what I wanted)
USB connection for custom sound setups--don't know if I'll ever use it but it's nice to have the option.
Finally if anyone is waffling between the Mustang I and II all I can say is that bigger speaker (12" vs. 8") makes a huge difference in sound (not just volume) so it's not just the wattage that matters in that case. At the same volume the I sounded a little muddied; obviously I wasn't able to crank either of them so I don't know what the difference at the top end was.

Full disclosure: I only evaluated them in trying to achieve a high gain "metal" sound (i.e. fairly bassy crunch sound) not clean so I can't speak to the differences there. I still would recommend trying each if you have the opportunity.

Hope that helps someone. :banjo:

Edit: I just realized the banjo smily kind of looks like he's jerking off while staring you down smiling--creepy.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Tarnien posted:

On this note -- is it possible to just be unable to play by ear? I haven't been playing terribly long, but cannot seem to even begin to tell what chord/note anyone is playing. Just about the only thing I can tell is what string/region the note is in, but without playing the notes individually, I can never tell exactly what it is.

I'm in roughly the same boat, but it's a bit easier for me because everything is one of four combinations of chords, and they're all power chords

Without a tab I can take a really general stab at it and be wrong, with a tab I know where to listen and I can be like NO THAT TAB IS WRONG IT'S NOT A G AT ALL

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tarnien posted:

You'll learn to hear all kinds of amazing things that nobody around you can after a few years of diligent practice, assuming you don't hurt your hearing by playing too loud.

spiritual bypass fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 5, 2010

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

All the cool kids are watching FIM. Why aren't you?

Dickeye posted:

gently caress

I was in the same boat and all it takes is practice. Play more and learn more songs you just need to keep practicing and training your ear. My ear still isn't great but I can tell it is improving and when you figure things out on your own they stick in your head better and I find it is a huge motivational boost to my playing.

Also Play your scales and learn the notes of the major scale and the intervals and what they sound like. Learn what third, fifth and octave sound like. Heres something to try: try figure out the melody from somewhere over the rainbow just using notes from the major scale and singing the song in your head.

Relating songs to intervals also really helped me Somewhere over the Rainbow? thats an octave, Star Wars theme? thats a fifth. I know thats probably confusing as gently caress but its how I was taught and my improved dramatically once I learned the intervals of the major scale.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Dickeye posted:

Is it new or is it used? If it's used, definitely go get it checked out. Most places will charge you $50 US or thereabouts and they'll go through the basics, unless you ask for something a little more specific (ie I had to tell the guy to straighten my neck, it was included in the price but wasn't an ordinary service). They'll check the electronics, restring/retune, that kinda poo poo

If it's new, you could probably get away with just getting a tuner if you wanted, but feel free to take someone else's word on this over mine.
It's new.

How much should I look to spend on a tuner?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

ChiliMac posted:

Finally if anyone is waffling between the Mustang I and II all I can say is that bigger speaker (12" vs. 8") makes a huge difference in sound (not just volume) so it's not just the wattage that matters in that case.

Glad you found one you liked. I found the same thing, when I went with the Vypyr 30. I had the Microcube before which has a 6.5" speaker or something. At the same lower level volumes, the 12" in the Vypyr just resonates so much better.

The confusion with all the controls on the Vypyr does put a lot of people off. It's actually easy, but the amount of tweaking you can do with pushing in all the knobs to go into sub-settings can lead to sitting there for 30 minutes dialing in different tones and effects. Blessing and a curse. I mostly just sit on the Plexi amp right now with a little reverb and delay.

The FUSE software for the Mustang looks amazing.

As an aside. I got my Seymour Duncan Hot Rodded Humbucker set from a Black Friday discount. Put them both in last night, and it was surprisingly easier than expected. A few 10 min crash courses on how to properly solder pickups and I felt comfortable enough to try this. The soldering was the easiest part, the hardest being putting the drat springs on the faceplate covers. They replaced the stock pickups in my ESP LTD M-10 starter which had.. god knows what in them. Anyways, the sound is really really nice. I'm still a total noob guitarist but I can appreciate the change in tone they're giving me. Hitting strings now is all sparkly sounding on the neck. Very cool.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Dec 5, 2010

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Falken posted:

It's new.

How much should I look to spend on a tuner?

15 bucks. Get a piece of patch cable if you don't already have one, too

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

SaucyPants posted:

I was in the same boat and all it takes is practice. Play more and learn more songs you just need to keep practicing and training your ear. My ear still isn't great but I can tell it is improving and when you figure things out on your own they stick in your head better and I find it is a huge motivational boost to my playing.

Also Play your scales and learn the notes of the major scale and the intervals and what they sound like. Learn what third, fifth and octave sound like. Heres something to try: try figure out the melody from somewhere over the rainbow just using notes from the major scale and singing the song in your head.

Relating songs to intervals also really helped me Somewhere over the Rainbow? thats an octave, Star Wars theme? thats a fifth. I know thats probably confusing as gently caress but its how I was taught and my improved dramatically once I learned the intervals of the major scale.

I...I don't know any scales. I can pick out notes on the last two strings, because I know my power chords, and I can push that a little further to knowing notes on the fourth string if I think about it. That's about it

Oh dear jesus why did I do it the lovely way

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

Let's change that.
alright heres an octave of the major scale on the top 3 strings.

top string: 2-4
fifth string: 1-2-4
fourth string:1-3-4

play this through the numbers refer to the frets but also the fingers you should use.

First thing to notice: does it sound like " do-re-mi-fa-so-la-ti-da" it should. play this over and over until it is all you hear.

second thing: notice the first note you started on and the fifth note you play? look familiar? thats your power chord it is made up of a root( first note in the major scale) and a fifth ( fifth note in the major scale) this is also why power chords are sometimes called C5 chords or in this case it would be a F#5 chord( because the first note you played was an F#)

Lastly an octave is the 8th or last note you played, this is important because the first not and the last note you played are the same letter note.

Start with that and ask some questions I can explain more if you'd like

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, I know how a power chord is structured, just not what it means

For example! This was the first time I knew that the octave was the root at a higher pitch. I know where the notes are on the bottom two strings, because I know where the roots are for power chords, but beyond that? Pfffft. Nothing

Definitely gonna start running through my scales though

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

One thing I noticed today was that the guitar I was using to try out the amps (Squire Strat) had varying height magnets in the pickup but I don't think it looked like there was any way to adjust them? Anyhow that's not really my question but you see humbuckers (or even single pickups) with a cover plate on them so I assume you can't adjust the pickup heights? Not really important but I've been reading up on certain things I'd never looked at before and that confused me a little. So on the Strat was it set like that at the factory or is there a way I couldn't see to adjust the height?

Philthy: Well I surely had some confirmation bias going into it but I at least spent a couple minutes trying the various options. At the very least the controls (of the fender) made more sense at at the time so I went with it. Glad I'm not just imagining the difference relating to speaker size though--I even tried to match all the settings between the I and II and it was night & day.

Conclusion: The reason for me looking into a new amp (and guitar) is that despite playing for awhile I was discouraged because it always sounded 'enh' regardless of my effort. So my personal recommendation to a beginner is to keep it cheap but not so cheap that you have extraordinary difficulty creating sounds you want to hear (this goes for the instrument and the amp as they are intimately related). I'm hoping that the slight improvement in my gear will finally inspire me to want to play (rather than just gently caress around on rare occasions).

Anyhow, keep rocking goons!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
That's how the magnets on a Squier Strat are set. Mine is the exact same way and gently caress if I touched the pickups. I don't even touch the switch for cryin' out loud

e: I hate how my amp sounds but I don't have the money to actually buy one (It was a freebie in a bundle that I've kept parts of and ditched others, like the actual guitar), so I just play unplugged

gently caress cheap-rear end amps

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
you should check this site out and do scales for a few minutes every day

http://guitarcardio.com

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

rt4 posted:

you should check this site out and do scales for a few minutes every day

http://guitarcardio.com

Cool site, scales are pretty much great for everything, fingers,ears,solos EVERYTHING. but don't jump through that site trying to learn everything. I suggest starting with the Major scale and the minor pentatonic and really focus on learning those and how they sound. How well do you know your fretboard? Once your comfortable with those try learning the major scale with a fifth string root and learn the major scale played on a single string. This will also help you to visualize how the fretboard is laid out.

Dickeye what kind of chords do you know? open chords? major and minor barre chords on the fifth string? sixth string?

what makes a major chord major?

A major chord is comprised of 3 notes. A root a third and a fifth. a minor chord is a root a flat third and a fifth.

is that the kind of stuff your interested in knowing? let me know or ask me some specific questions and I'll try help you out. I am supposed to be writing a paper which means I am more likely just playing guitar all night.

Porn Thread
Nov 12, 2008

Tarnien posted:

Have you actually worked on ear training as a specific area of practice?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

ChiliMac posted:

One thing I noticed today was that the guitar I was using to try out the amps (Squire Strat) had varying height magnets in the pickup but I don't think it looked like there was any way to adjust them? Anyhow that's not really my question but you see humbuckers (or even single pickups) with a cover plate on them so I assume you can't adjust the pickup heights? Not really important but I've been reading up on certain things I'd never looked at before and that confused me a little. So on the Strat was it set like that at the factory or is there a way I couldn't see to adjust the height?

From what I understand, the pickup covers go down into the cavity, and are height adjustable as any other pickup. You just turn the screws on the left and right to raise and lower them. It makes a huge difference in sound level from what I found out putting in these new ones. My bridge pickup sounded about half the volume of the neck, so I moved it up to the strings more and it fixed it right up.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

SaucyPants posted:

Cool site, scales are pretty much great for everything, fingers,ears,solos EVERYTHING. but don't jump through that site trying to learn everything. I suggest starting with the Major scale and the minor pentatonic and really focus on learning those and how they sound. How well do you know your fretboard? Once your comfortable with those try learning the major scale with a fifth string root and learn the major scale played on a single string. This will also help you to visualize how the fretboard is laid out.

Dickeye what kind of chords do you know? open chords? major and minor barre chords on the fifth string? sixth string?

what makes a major chord major?

A major chord is comprised of 3 notes. A root a third and a fifth. a minor chord is a root a flat third and a fifth.

is that the kind of stuff your interested in knowing? let me know or ask me some specific questions and I'll try help you out. I am supposed to be writing a paper which means I am more likely just playing guitar all night.

I'm gonna be honest with you here, and I don't mean to sound dismissive or dick(eye)ish or whatever: I know how to play power chords and like...three open chords. I know how to play a major barre chord on the fifth and sixth string, just because hell you're just palying a power chord and then some.

Here's the kicker though: I'm OK with that. I'm learning so I can play in a punk band. Power chords are pretty much all I need. I would like to learn to play by ear, because it'd be nice to be able to learn some more obscure poo poo that I can't find tabs for, but anything beyond that is pretty much a bonus.

tldr: I want to work on ear training first and foremost, everything else is extra

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

Dickeye posted:

I'm gonna be honest with you here, and I don't mean to sound dismissive or dick(eye)ish or whatever: I know how to play power chords and like...three open chords. I know how to play a major barre chord on the fifth and sixth string, just because hell you're just palying a power chord and then some.

Here's the kicker though: I'm OK with that. I'm learning so I can play in a punk band. Power chords are pretty much all I need. I would like to learn to play by ear, because it'd be nice to be able to learn some more obscure poo poo that I can't find tabs for, but anything beyond that is pretty much a bonus.

tldr: I want to work on ear training first and foremost, everything else is extra

don't worry I wanted to get a feel as for what you wanted to do and what level you were at before I throw too much at you.

work on the major scale if you want to help your ear and just keep trying. I recommend some Hi-Standard as beginning ear training.

I picked up guitar in the first place because I wanted to play in a punk band ( and still do) I just fell in love with all the things I could do with it. Punk turned to Rockabilly and Rockabilly turned to Country,Blues and Jazz. If your happy with what your doing stick with it you can always expand later on if you want to.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

SaucyPants posted:

don't worry I wanted to get a feel as for what you wanted to do and what level you were at before I throw too much at you.

work on the major scale if you want to help your ear and just keep trying. I recommend some Hi-Standard as beginning ear training.

I picked up guitar in the first place because I wanted to play in a punk band ( and still do) I just fell in love with all the things I could do with it. Punk turned to Rockabilly and Rockabilly turned to Country,Blues and Jazz. If your happy with what your doing stick with it you can always expand later on if you want to.

Got a link, and is it free? College is putting a serious dent in my funds.

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

a link to what?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Hi-Standard? I assumed it was a site or something

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

oh sorry no Hi-Standard is just a punk band that has fairly simple songs and are a good band to start learning songs to. I am sure you have lots as well I was just suggesting a band I used.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

SaucyPants posted:

oh sorry no Hi-Standard is just a punk band that has fairly simple songs and are a good band to start learning songs to. I am sure you have lots as well I was just suggesting a band I used.

Oh, that Hi-Standard. Gotcha.

I've been using the Ramones and Ramones-core bands, personally. Simple musically, but fast enough that I have to work to stay in time with the music

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
So I've gotten a lot better at barre chords but when I play them for even a short time the fat part of my hand where the thumb is and the space between the thumb and forefinger start to hurt and cramp. This is mostly up around the top of the neck, it doesn't bother me as much further down. Am I just pressing too hard or something? I can't really get the notes to ring out if I don't though.

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

Epi Lepi posted:

So I've gotten a lot better at barre chords but when I play them for even a short time the fat part of my hand where the thumb is and the space between the thumb and forefinger start to hurt and cramp. This is mostly up around the top of the neck, it doesn't bother me as much further down. Am I just pressing too hard or something? I can't really get the notes to ring out if I don't though.

Certainly not an expert here (I've only been playing for MCM years) but I'd guess it's just you not being used to using that muscle for that yet. However, you mentioning that it's relative to the part of the neck is slightly confounding--do you have extra thick strings on your guitar? Or perhaps really high action (gap between strings and frets)? Brass string acoustic? Reaching here :)

I have the same problem on my stupidly cheap acoustic I keep at my mom's house that is mostly related to neck shape (i.e. convex vs. flat) and potentially some bow from the string tension.

Edit: it's usually harder to do barre chords nearest the nut but I don't generally identify it as being specifically harder--is what it is. i.e. that's why I raised the questions I did.

ChiliMac fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 5, 2010

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric

Epi Lepi posted:

You will have to build up some grip strength, but yeah you're probably over exerting yourself. You do need more pressure near the top of the neck to get the strings to sound right, but make sure and check that your grip is correct. I'm still learning too, so my explanation may sound funny, but if you align the wrist and forearm properly you can take a lot of strain out of the hand. It felt really weird when I first tried it after my teacher showed me, but it works well and I got used to it quickly. Hopefully someone else can explain it better because I learned by seeing and can't really describe it much more than that.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

ChiliMac posted:

Certainly not an expert here (I've only been playing for MCM years) but I'd guess it's just you not being used to using that muscle for that yet. However, you mentioning that it's relative to the part of the neck is slightly confounding--do you have extra thick strings on your guitar? Or perhaps really high action (gap between strings and frets)? Brass string acoustic? Reaching here :)

I have the same problem on my stupidly cheap acoustic I keep at my mom's house that is mostly related to neck shape (i.e. convex vs. flat) and potentially some bow from the string tension.

Edit: it's usually harder to do barre chords nearest the nut but I don't generally identify it as being specifically harder--is what it is. i.e. that's why I raised the questions I did.

I've got .11s on my Jazzmaster I think, and .09s or .10s on my acoustic 12 string and those are my mains at the moment, the rest of my guitars aren't up at school with me. I just meant that I can go longer if I'm playing, say, I Wanna be Sedated instead of Chinese Rocks.

I'm pretty sure this all has a lot to do with thumb placement and how I hold my arm and wrist but I'm not sure how I'm supposed to be doing it. It's a little frustrating because though I am better at barre chords than I was a year ago, I'm still having a lot of trouble.

Tarnien
Jul 4, 2003
Champion of the World!!!

Porn Thread posted:

Have you actually worked on ear training as a specific area of practice?

No -- I assumed it was something that just came with having played for a while. What would you recommend in regards to practicing ear training?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Tarnien posted:

No -- I assumed it was something that just came with having played for a while. What would you recommend in regards to practicing ear training?

I would appreciate this too, this whole discussion made me pop in The Ramones Road to Ruin album and I was able to figure out the first song myself which made me feel cool, but I couldn't figure out the next one which made me feel less cool...