Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Ka0 posted:

I've never been big on watching tv to be honest so it's my fault.

The phrase Chekov's Gun has been around longer than television has, so I'm afraid that's no excuse either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Goon-down fellas, I said I was sorry.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Penguissimo posted:

Not in that comic, she's not.

The point of the link was to show she (or some other girl named Jones) and Surma knew each other.

\/\/\/No hostility intended :tipshat:

Dodgeball fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 4, 2010

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Dodgeball posted:

The point of the link was to show she (or some other girl named Jones) and Surma knew each other.

I think that post had an implied :tipshat: at the end

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Dodgeball posted:

Oy, I need to learn reading comprehension...

Guava
Nov 10, 2009

Love's made a fool out of Bear.

Ka0 posted:

I hate that you made me look that up on tvtropes.

But you're going to say it all the time now. Hell of a useful phrase.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Revolver Bunker posted:

I get the feeling we might be seeing Jeanne again. Only this time Annie will also be at the same level of suffering as Jeanne. Betrayal by the court and all.
I hadn't considered this, but now I hope it happens. I want to learn more about Jeanne. She died, and we did nothing.

I also want to see her try out the Coyote-tooth sword.

Unagi
Jan 27, 2007

:catstare:
PISSmaster
:woof:

Blunt the King posted:

I'm really digging how the environments are all twisted and warped. It adds a nice bit of visual impact.

I love the warpy environments too. Also, christ this chapter has been stressing me out for weeks with the story and the cliffhangers. :smith:

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Guava posted:

But you're going to say it all the time now. Hell of a useful phrase.

I'll stick to foreshadowing since it's theather-related too.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Ka0 posted:

I'll stick to foreshadowing since it's theather-related too.

Isn't foreshadowing more explicit? Chekov's Gun refers to specific background details or objects that don't necessarily give any hint of what is to come but end up playing an important role. Foreshadowing does give hints. They're not mutually exclusive, of course.

Chekov's own example was that if a gun is described in the story as a background detail, by the end of the novel/play the gun must be fired.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Regardless, I don't think she has it on her.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

nukethewhales posted:

Coyote isn't going to harm Annie, but there's no guarantee that there aren't other creatures in the forest who might. Those creatures, however, Eglamore might be able to deal with.
I'm pretty sure Coyote promised no harm would come to her at all.

Psych
Feb 13, 2005

The Infernal
Why is it everyone takes it as gospel that Coyote cannot lie? That's exactly the sort of thing that liars want you to believe about them.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

Psych posted:

Why is it everyone takes it as gospel that Coyote cannot lie? That's exactly the sort of thing that liars want you to believe about them.

Jones has said as much and she's proven pretty trustworthy, I think is where people get it. In any case, Coyote's not lied about anything yet that we know of, he's just been incredibly pragmatic with the truths he chooses to hand out, and is deliberately vague with ones he doesn't want to tell yet.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
We can trust Jones, because she's a robot not a robot.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...

dumb brunette posted:

Jones has said as much and she's proven pretty trustworthy, I think is where people get it. In any case, Coyote's not lied about anything yet that we know of, he's just been incredibly pragmatic with the truths he chooses to hand out, and is deliberately vague with ones he doesn't want to tell yet.

Besides, why lie when telling the truth is so much more fun.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

dumb brunette posted:

What Jones actually said is that he wasn't a liar, not that he was completely incapable of lying. Not being a liar just means he doesn't lie habitually.

That said, he does seem to be compelled to keep his word, or at least Anja believes that he is. (Otherwise, why would his promise to leave the Court alone mean anything?) So maybe he really is somehow mystically compelled to tell the truth.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Psych posted:

Telling the truth in a misleading fashion is the MO of tricksters gods.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Yeah, where's the clever trickiness in just flat-out lying to people?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

I wouldn't trust Coyote for the time with a clock stuck to his grinning face.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

fishmech posted:

Right, he's a trickster, not a liar.

I'm also interested in the other Chekov's gun, Coyote's tooth.

nothings
Sep 29, 2008
A little late, but...

Fangz posted:

My reading was always that the scene with the two afterwards suggested that they knew something was up.

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=401

I read this as "there's something weird in that building, and we never figured it out, I wish I could go with them and help figure it out, but I guess they can figure it out on their own", but I can see how you could read it as "i've already figured it out but now let's let them figure it out for themselves". I don't know if there's any evidence for one reading over the other. But your other examples didn't seem to give any evidence in support of your interpretation, by my reading.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Fecha posted:

I'm pretty sure Coyote promised no harm would come to her at all.

Well, quite possibly that promise only applied to the first time Annie visited, or if she visited with permission. Or to a certain category of harm.

quote:

They also lie from time to time, though.

http://www.ilhawaii.net/~stony/lore67.html

I mean, several of the Coyote's powers (possession, shapeshifting) are intrinsically about being deceptive. Lying all the time is just boring, but saving up that big lie for the one moment it counts...?

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Coyote likes to keep Annie around because she's fun. I can't see the fun in letting her die or get hurt though??

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The reactions of Rey etc might be fun. Honestly we have no idea what is fun for the Coyote at this point. But I suspect we are about to find out.

blazelust
Oct 21, 2008

Coyote, otherwise known as The Joker

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

Wait, is this emotionally fractured girl still running around with a Coyote-tooth knife?

Psych
Feb 13, 2005

The Infernal

Mercury Hat posted:

Coyote likes to keep Annie around because she's fun. I can't see the fun in letting her die or get hurt though??

Where's the fun in a Trickster God who isn't tricking anyone? Who isn't doing anything but sitting in a forest laughing like an idiot?

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

KnightLight posted:

Wait, is this emotionally fractured girl still running around with a Coyote-tooth knife?

Again, as with the little stick-like device, it's probably not even on her. The only thing she probably has access to right now is the blinker stone.

EDIT: We've seen her affect something in the physical world (a flower), you think maybe she could bring something to her with the blinker stone?

Dodgeball fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Dec 5, 2010

Unagi
Jan 27, 2007

:catstare:
PISSmaster
:woof:

Today's Woot Shirt reminds me a bit of Gunnerkrigg.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Dodgeball posted:

Again, as with the little stick-like device, it's probably not even on her. The only thing she probably has access to right now is the blinker stone.

EDIT: We've seen her affect something in the physical world (a flower), you think maybe she could bring something to her with the blinker stone?

She's propelled a boat across a lake with her etheric body, I doubt grabbing her sword would be any more trouble.

However it does condense down to handy tooth-sized form, so she might have it on her.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Fecha posted:

Yeah, where's the clever trickiness in just flat-out lying to people?

The best way to trick people is to tell the truth so convincingly that they think you're lying.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.
It might have been in a previous conversation about Coyote in this thread that someone brought up this story about Richard Feynman. It's a perfect example of what we're talking about.

quote:

My masterpiece of mischief happened at the fraternity. One morning I woke up very early, about five o'clock, and couldn't go back to sleep, so I went downstairs from the sleeping rooms and discovered some signs hanging on strings which said things like "DOOR! DOOR! WHO STOLE THE DOOR?" I saw that someone had taken a door off its hinges, and in its place they hung a sign that said, "PLEASE CLOSE THE DOOR!"--the sign that used to be on the door that was missing.

[...]

Now this room, it so happened, had two doors, the way it was built, so I got an idea: I took the other door off its hinges, carried it downstairs, and hid it in the basement behind the oil tank. Then I quietly went back upstairs and went to bed.

Later in the morning I made believe I woke up and came downstairs a little late. The other guys were milling around, and Pete and his friends were all upset: The doors to their room were missing, and they had to study, blah, blah, blah, blah. I was coming down the stairs and they said, "Feynman! Did you take the doors?"

"Oh, yeah!" I said. "I took the door. You can see the scratches on my knuckles here, that I got when my hands scraped against the wall as I was carrying it down into the basement."

They weren't satisfied with my answer; in fact, they didn't believe me.

The guys who took the first door had left so many clues--the handwriting on the signs, for instance--that they were soon found out. My idea was that when it was found out who stole the first door, everybody would think they also stole the other door. It worked perfectly: The guys who took the first door were pummeled and tortured and worked on by everybody, until finally, with much pain and difficulty, they convinced their tormentors that they had only taken one door, unbelievable as it might be.

I listened to all this, and I was happy.

The other door stayed missing for a whole week, and it became more and more important to the guys who were trying to study in that room that the other door be found.
Finally, in order to solve the problem, the president of the fraternity says at the dinner table, "We have to solve this problem of the other door. I haven't been able to solve the problem myself, so I would like suggestions from the rest of you as to how to straighten this out, because Pete and the others are trying to study."

Somebody makes a suggestion, then someone else.

After a little while, I get up and make a suggestion. "All right," I say in a sarcastic voice, "whoever you are who stole the door, we know you're wonderful. You're so clever! We can't figure out who you are, so you must be some sort of super-genius. You don't have to tell us who you are; all we want to know is where the door is. So if you will leave a note somewhere, telling us where the door is, we will honor you and admit forever that you are a super-marvel, that you are so smart that you could take the other door without our being able to figure out who you are. But for God's sake, just leave the note somewhere, and we will be forever grateful to you for it."

The next guy makes his suggestion: "I have another idea," he says. "I think that you, as president, should ask each man on his word of honor towards the fraternity to say whether he took the door or not."

The president says, "That's a very good idea. On the fraternity word of honor!" So he goes around the table, and asks each guy, one by one: "Jack, did you take the door?"

"No, sir, I did not take the door."

[...]

"Feynman, did you take the door?"

"Yeah, I took the door."

"Cut it out, Feynman; this is serious! Sam! Did you take the door . . ." --it went all the way around. Everyone was shocked. There must be some real rat in the fraternity who didn't respect the fraternity word of honor!

That night I left a note with a little picture of the oil tank and the door next to it, and the next day they found the door and put it back.

Sometime later I finally admitted to taking the other door, and I was accused by everybody of lying. They couldn't remember what I had said. All they could remember was their conclusion after the president of the fraternity had gone around the table and asked everybody, that nobody admitted taking the door. The idea they remembered, but not the words.

People often think I'm a faker, but I'm usually honest, in a certain way--in such a way that often nobody believes me!

(Emphasis mine.)

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Dodgeball posted:

I don't think a gift from a trickster god cares about silly little details like where it actually is. I wouldn't be surprised if it poofed into existence when she needed it, or just happened to be in her pocket.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I strongly doubt the Coyote's tooth can be used against him, if that's what people are alluding to.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Maybe she'll have to choose between which one to use.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Annie draws tooth. Breaks signal stick. Stabs the gently caress out of Eglamore when he shows up.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

fritz posted:

Annie draws tooth. Breaks signal stick. Stabs the gently caress out of Eglamore when he shows up.

The real plot of the comic is revealed. Gunnerkrigg Court... burns. Annie smears war paint under her eyes and summons terrible powers to punish her former friends.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Driven mad with power, Annie unleashes her massive psychic abilities upon the Court, and then, humanity as a whole. Can Kat and Smitty, the last survivors of Gunnerkrigg, possibly stop her in time? Can Boxbot redeem himself at last? Probably not.

Someone draw/photoshop a Gunnerkrigg version of Akira, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

Fangz posted:

Can Boxbot redeem himself at last?

Boxbot saves the day by reminding everyone what "terrible" originally meant.