Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Oh god...

Scary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Thanks for putting instructions on how to replace the fog light bulb in my user manual, Subaru. :mad:

Do I go at it from underneath? Or pull the plastic bezel dealio from the front?

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

I often times hear the remark that the STI while nice is still not the drivers car that an EVO is.
Help me look at this from a strictly NEW car perspective.

EVO X vs 2011 STI.

11 STI is too new for magazines to start doing comparisons or which is better tests, so that is out. Every Magazine Ive seen has ended the article with "is the 2011 better than the EVO....wait and see when we do that test months from now!" gently caress waiting and seeing. I want to know.
Videos I look for have basically been jackass in shops dynoing cars that have mods, which also doesnt help much.

My questions are as follows:

1) Is the EVO is better than STI thought more of a previous generation thing? Meaning EVO 9 vs the last gen STI? Or was that even still true of say an EVO X vs a 2010 STI before they went happy with the suspension bits and made it better for 2011?

2) What exactly was it that made the EVO so much better to a lot of people?
Steering feel? Felt better planted? I know this is a subaaru thread, but this has to have been discussed before. I figured people with subs would be the ones to ask as it if its true, if its bullshit, etc.

I thrashed around back in the day in a friend's Bug eye WRX and it was ok I guess but I can see how over the years they would have improved on that. I also played around with a 2011 Sedan STI and that felt pretty drat nice driving wise. Id love to do this little review myself but I cant ever find a EVO X that isnt a DSG at any of the dealerships near me.

The only EVO beats STI challenge I know for sure would be in stock seats. Hands down I know EVO wins on that no question. But Im wondering about power, road feel, handling, everything else.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Thanks for putting instructions on how to replace the fog light bulb in my user manual, Subaru. :mad:

Do I go at it from underneath? Or pull the plastic bezel dealio from the front?
I'm having this problem with my '06 at present. I think what I'm going to have to do is go at it from underneath and push it out through the front, but other generations of the Impreza seem to require you to first remove part of the bumper cover.

Franco Caution posted:

1) Is the EVO is better than STI thought more of a previous generation thing? Meaning EVO 9 vs the last gen STI? Or was that even still true of say an EVO X vs a 2010 STI before they went happy with the suspension bits and made it better for 2011?
It continued to the current generation. I have no personal experience with either the 2011 STI or Evo X, however.

quote:

2) What exactly was it that made the EVO so much better to a lot of people?
Steering feel? Felt better planted? I know this is a subaaru thread, but this has to have been discussed before. I figured people with subs would be the ones to ask as it if its true, if its bullshit, etc.
Let me have a go at this, even though I'm hardly an expert on the subject, nor have I driven the entire history of Evos and STIs.

I think the root of the driving dynamics competition is that the Evo is/was substantially easier to induce oversteer on tarmac with; older STIs (and possibly also the current one) were understeering pigs that need suspension work and were obviously designed to be run at high speed over rough terrain instead of a circuit/street use.

The Evo also historically has more advanced electronics; the Evo 8, 9 and X all feature sophisticated dynamics control to varying degrees (Active Yaw Control, Active Centre Differential, Active Stability Control) which make the driving properties of AWD more accessible, particularly to drivers coming from high-powered FWD cars. Subaru provides some similar electronic setups (Driver-Controlled Centre Differential/DCCD, among others) but don't have the overall integration of the Mitsubishi package.

Prior to the Evo X, the Evo featured the Mitsubishi 4G63 turbo motor, which is apparently virtually invulnerable - the Subaru motor, even in the STI, is not as tough as it could be. There are (admittedly built) Evo 9 motors out there that are cranking out 1000+ bhp and dealing with routine detonation. The Subaru engines generally need a gentle hand and a good tune if they're to survive big power additions, even if you have a strong gearbox like the STI 6-speed.

Some of the downsides of the Evo over the years have been its ridiculous fuel consumption, relative cheapness of interior and controls (though Subaru is hardly making nice interiors either), the quality of dealership/warranty service (especially here in Canada, where Mitsubishi regularly threatens to leave the entire country) and that there still isn't an adequate competitor to the WRX in the Mitsubishi stable - the Ralliart comes only with TC-SST and is made in what appears to be very limited production.

There are a lot of guys in the local Subaru club who have transitioned to an Evo X from their WRX/STI; it's a phenomenal car.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Dec 4, 2010

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Seat Safety Switch posted:

(though Subaru is hardly making nice interiors either)

I have to ask if this is really just more of a bad reputation that won't die, or of it's just a popular meme at this point, because the STI Limited felt really drat nice to me when I was looking at it at the local dealer. I mean, is Subaru's interiors really that bad? If so, why? What would be a standard-bearer of a good interior to contrast with?

I tested Mazdas, Nissans, Toyotas, Hondas, and Acuras all before settling on an Outback Limited, but IMHO the only one that had a better interior was the Acura. Even the standard trims of a Toyota feels like cheap poo poo compared to the standard Subaru to me.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
EVO X is a fat heavy turd. And the engine sounds terrible.

And in Alliance Motorsport news - the rarely seen 06 is finally about to return to the road after two years in the garage. Standard WRX's just feel sooo nice to drive

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Cat Terrist posted:

And the engine sounds terrible.
It does; the 4B11 sounds reedy and thrashy, especially in the Ralliart. I've always liked the Subaru grumble. You'd also better not ride the clutch.

quote:

And in Alliance Motorsport news - the rarely seen 06 is finally about to return to the road after two years in the garage. Standard WRX's just feel sooo nice to drive
As an owner of an 06, I demand more information on this little guy. What have you done with it? Did Australia get the 2.5L in 2006?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 4, 2010

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

CrazyLittle posted:

I have to ask if this is really just more of a bad reputation that won't die, or of it's just a popular meme at this point, because the STI Limited felt really drat nice to me when I was looking at it at the local dealer. I mean, is Subaru's interiors really that bad? If so, why? What would be a standard-bearer of a good interior to contrast with?

Subaru interiors are fine, just a bit austere. They're put together pretty well though.

VW is pretty much the cheap car interior king, though. Check out a fully kitted GTI and you'll see the difference.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Subaru interiors are fine, just a bit austere. They're put together pretty well though.

VW is pretty much the cheap car interior king, though. Check out a fully kitted GTI and you'll see the difference.

This pretty much nails it for me. Sitting in a VW anywhere near the same time you sit in a STI or WRX and it becomes clear what a nice interior really is and could be in another car.
On the new STI, I dont think the rest of the interior is all that bad really compared to how people describe it. The center button on the steering wheel looks cheap, and you notice most of the dials and knobs have a very manual feel which is different than a lot of new cars being sold these days. I think a lot of the hate comes from that. It seems broken up more though with the two tone etc.

For me it was depressing to see a drat near $40,000 car with these generic slide rail leather seat that feels like a ironing board with basically no adjustable lumbar or anything on it.

Im not angry at Subaru for not putting 14 way power recaros with whale leather in the stock STI for the same price. But I am angry that the option isnt there, nor is there even an option that comes close. It is ironing board in not leather, or ironing board in leather. And I hate the attitude you get from dealers where the STI is this no compromise monster and that is just how it works because Subaru wouldnt dare waste the weight or time on some plush seats when its all about the RACING... only to realize the car is bloated in a lot of places AND has 4 loving doors and a back seat.

Chevy does the same thing and it makes me wonder just how many thousands of complaints it would take for something to stick and have them take action on piece of a car that would really help it sell better and give it a better image. Since the C6 Corvette came out, I think every review in every magazine has had "its a really nice car but the stock seats are loving garbage and they really bring down the car." I would have thought after what 6 years of that GM might think about doing something about it, but no 2011 C6 still has the same poo poo seats.

I just realized Im on a roll about stupid seats, but the same can be said about just about any feature in the car. The interior, the exterior styling, the front grill, etc. Subaru is usually pretty good about fixing most stuff when people flip out about it. I liked the nose on the 06 and 07 STI, but I know people bitched about it and that went away. Same goes for the exterior styling on the beginning of the next gen impreza, and that eventually got fixed in both the STI and now WRX. And then when there was the no sedan complaint, they also stepped it up and fixed that too.

I guess my hope is there are a lot more people out there this year flipping out about the seats, maybe the interior, and the fact the WRX and STI are now too close to each other for the price difference. Then I really hope Subaru does something about those instead of just riding the current vehicles out for a couple more years waiting for the next refresh.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Subaru is pretty good about fixing complaint areas. My guess is they know exactly where the STi is lacking, and plan to address it in the next few years with the direct injection turbo engine. They're a small company with a lot less R&D though, so they're going to lag behind here and there once in a while.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Franco Caution posted:

For me it was depressing to see a drat near $40,000 car with these generic slide rail leather seat that feels like a ironing board with basically no adjustable lumbar or anything on it.

Im not angry at Subaru for not putting 14 way power recaros with whale leather in the stock STI for the same price. But I am angry that the option isnt there, nor is there even an option that comes close. It is ironing board in not leather, or ironing board in leather. And I hate the attitude you get from dealers where the STI is this no compromise monster and that is just how it works because Subaru wouldnt dare waste the weight or time on some plush seats when its all about the RACING... only to realize the car is bloated in a lot of places AND has 4 loving doors and a back seat.

Okay, I see where you're coming from, and I'm 100% with you on the STI. The Outback's definitely more plush than that, but then again it's a different target market. My wife and I were looking at the Honda CR-Z because it's a two-seater in the US, but we hit the same exact roadblock: the interior seats suck, and there's no option to get better ones... which is embarrassing for a car that we would be paying ~$24k for.

Also, I can't stand how the salespeople try to whitewash those faults with such transparent bullshit. It's insulting.

Local Yokel
Mar 16, 2005

If the moonshine don't kill me, I'll live 'till I die.
Someone in this thread mentioned selling me their used Legacy Outback cd changer/stereo unit. It's been a while, but I'd like to get my hands one one soon.

It's for a '06 model with the digital climate control. If anyone has a lead, I'd be interested. Thanks.

edit: Actually, I'm looking for a RH power heated mirror for it as well.

Local Yokel fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 5, 2010

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I'm talking out of my rear end but it probably wouldn't be difficult to retrofit some Legacy seats into an STI. Subaru is pretty awesome about parts being easily swapped.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

As an owner of an 06, I demand more information on this little guy. What have you done with it? Did Australia get the 2.5L in 2006?

Yep, 2.5 and for some reason it's a mix between a 06 TR and Clubsport from the factory. It's as utterly without options as possible (Lucky to have a radio, spartan no option interior, no accessories anywhere) but has the CS9 tune and springs.

Dunno if the USA got the inverted Bilsteins and alloy suspension bits as well but that's also standard in that car.

Proudly one of the few utterly as it came off the showroom WRX's.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Cat Terrist posted:

Yep, 2.5 and for some reason it's a mix between a 06 TR and Clubsport from the factory. It's as utterly without options as possible (Lucky to have a radio, spartan no option interior, no accessories anywhere) but has the CS9 tune and springs.
I remember hearing about this a few years ago. I'm glad to hear it's still around kicking rear end. The corner markers make up for that big empty space behind the front fenders.

quote:

Dunno if the USA got the inverted Bilsteins and alloy suspension bits as well but that's also standard in that car.
Negative; my 06 has KYBs and I'm pretty sure all American ones are the same. I think the sedan WRXes got aluminum control arms, but sadly not the wagons.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 5, 2010

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Tell me why this car is a bad idea

2002 Subaru Impreza - $6491

quote:

A pipe is leaking, tracking bracket light is out, drive belts are cracked, car slips out of gear, will need clutch to correct(but driveble, when drove did not see any problem with clutch)

So front pipe, timing belt kit, and clutch...lets say $750 in parts and how many hours of labor?

JayKay fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Dec 5, 2010

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

JayKay posted:

Tell me why this car is a bad idea

2002 Subaru Impreza - $6491

So front pipe, timing belt kit, and clutch...lets say $750 in parts and how many hours of labor?

Is that really the price that Imprezas carry in DC?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

I think the sedan WRXes got aluminum control arms, but sadly not the wagons.

$250 buys you some nice GC Impreza ones that will work. ;) Wagon buddy :hfive:

kimbo305 posted:

You should see how bad it is in :canada:

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]
Anyone have an opinion on making an NA subaru's hood scoops functional? I'm swapping a 3.0 H6 (with MAP) into my '99 2.5rs and I don't have an intake for the new engine. I thought I would make myself a gravelsport style intake to pull air from the hood scoop.

After a bunch of reading on subaru forums, I couldn't find any objective data on them. Apparently water intake hasn't been an issue at all for any of the people who have been using them. Butt-dyno reports are positive but that doesn't really mean much, and noise doesn't appear to be an issue driving around normally.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Sockington posted:

You should see how bad it is in :canada:
Yeah, that car would be another $2k at least here with twice the mileage. I have found some amazing deals on Subarus that have basically been beaten to death (particularly SVXes and SF Foresters) but for some reason the GD Imprezas just hold onto their value and never let go.

I think the cheapest GD Impreza on kijiji is actually a 2002 WRX with almost 300k, body damage and no evidence of maintenance.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

kimbo305 posted:

I think it's just the work required to get it running well is why the price is so low compared to mileage. Many of the DC Imprezas (and all Subarus for that matter) are usually 120k-200k+ for $5000ish, under 100k closer to $10,000.

Panoplied Platypus
Dec 21, 2005

Head-First into Glory!
Backstory - if you're not interested, skip to the summary.

A couple months ago, someone rear-ended my dad's 2002 VW Jetta Wagon, and despite his driving it away from the accident and back home, the insurance company decided to total it.

When he told me his requirements for a new car (manual, AWD, big enough to fit his telescope, and a million other pedantic things I won't mention here) I suggested that he look into either Subaru or Volvo wagons. Initially he was looking at used Legacy Outback and Volvo XC70s (despite my attempts to push him towards a V70 R instead), but at some point he got tired of searching for a used vehicle that met all of his pedantic criteria, so he decided to just order a new car exactly as he wanted it.

During the weeks that he was searching around and not finding anything he liked, he was borrowing my sister's car, since she hadn't taken it to school with her this semester. After test-driving a 2010 Outback 2.5, he came very close to ordering a 2011 Outback, but luckily my mom talked him out of it because of it being so hideous.

Then came thanksgiving break and suddenly my sister needed her car, so he borrowed mine for a day, after which he decided that the Outback wasn't what he wanted. He asked me if they made my car (an '05 Legacy GT) as a wagon. I told him that they definitely used to make it, but they stopped. Since he was now set on getting a "brand new car", I told him what options were available and he decided on ordering a WRX 5-door instead. We went out and measured one that was sitting at a local dealer to make sure his telescope would fit, and he then set about getting quotes on one with all the upgrades and trimmings he wants.

I commended him on his wise decision, but now he's been asking me all sorts of questions about what options he should get, and I don't really know, so I thought I'd ask here to get some feedback about the packages he's considering. My general advice to him was that most of the dealer options are absurdly overpriced and that better quality after-market parts are probably available.

Summary: My dad's wagon was totaled, he wants to order a WRX 5-door, but has a few questions about what exactly to get on it from the factory, so I'm asking here on his behalf

Originally, the car he configured and sent out to get quotes on was a base WRX with the Auto-Dimming Compass Mirror, Body Side Molding, Cargo Net, and more importantly the Short-Throw Shifter and the SPT Exhaust System. Those options put him about $900 away from the base price of a WRX Premium, which offers the Power tilt/sliding-glass Moon-roof, Heated Front Seats, and Fog Lights.

My opinion has been to stick with the base WRX unless he really wants the moon-roof. What would you suggest? Is the SPT Exhaust a worthwhile upgrade for anything other than sound? Is the normal WRX shifter really tall enough to make a short-throw upgrade from the factory worth $300 + labor? Is there anything else about the Premium that's not listed on the website that would make it worthwhile over the base model?

If you were spec'ing out a 2011 WRX with an ideal price <= $28,000, would you go with the basic or premium, and which factory accessories would you order?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Overpriced Balloons posted:

My opinion has been to stick with the base WRX unless he really wants the moon-roof. What would you suggest?
I'd agree with this, although I don't know the American option packages for the WRX - I seem to remember in previous years there was leather seating available only in the top-end WRX "Limited" and none in the base/TR.

quote:

Is the SPT Exhaust a worthwhile upgrade for anything other than sound?
Not to the level that other aftermarket exhausts are; it's a very expensive catback exhaust for the WRX - other manufacturers' catback kits also won't improve performance significantly, but they'll make just as good of an exhaust sound for less money.

The flow difference will be imperceptible to the butt dyno. For really hauling rear end you'd probably want a full exhaust upgrade (up-pipe, down-pipe, resonator, catback, usually referred to as "Stage 2" with Cobbites) and a tune. The 265bhp 09+ WRX already puts enough thrust behind you that I'd be surprised if your dad actually wants (or could make use of) more.

A bonus with this kit over other manufacturers' kits would be that it's presumably endorsed by Subaru and wouldn't impact warranty service of any exhaust-related systems (turbo, etc).

quote:

Is the normal WRX shifter really tall enough to make a short-throw upgrade from the factory worth $300 + labor?
Labour on this install is pretty trivial, if prior SPT short shifters are any indication. I seem to remember that the factory short shifter actually needs you to change part of the linkage - in this case just order the car with the stock shifter, see if you like it, and if not slap in a Kartboy short shifter kit (sub-$120) and go to town.

edit: Additionally, I'm pretty sure that these options are installed by the dealer at PDI time. You could probably hold off on buying these options, test out the car and then possibly go back and buy them later. I don't know if your dealership was willing to roll those into the car purchase price to try and make a sale (mine was).

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Dec 6, 2010

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Is the normal WRX shifter really tall enough to make a short-throw upgrade from the factory worth $300 + labor?
No.

Is the SPT Exhaust a worthwhile upgrade for anything other than sound?

You would only realize power gains if you replaced the stock down pipe with a high flow after market piece and then got a tune for the car (stage 2 at that point).

In bone stock form the WRX sounds pretty good while still being plenty quiet as well. Does he want the car to be louder than normal? Has he driven the new wrx and wanted it to be louder?

The flow difference will be imperceptible to the butt dyno. For really hauling rear end you'd probably want a full exhaust upgrade (up-pipe, down-pipe, resonator, catback, usually referred to as "Stage 2" with Cobbites) and a tune. The 265bhp 09+ WRX already puts enough thrust behind you that I'd be surprised if your dad actually wants (or could make use of) more.

Up-pipe on all of the WRX's with the 2.5l motor are catless and therefore do not need to be replaced unless you're pushing some *massive* power. Resonator is replaced with the catback. In stock form the 2011 wrx puts down 215whp, equal to the STI (oddly enough).

Amandyke fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Dec 6, 2010

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

My opinion has been to stick with the base WRX unless he really wants the moon-roof. What would you suggest? Is the SPT Exhaust a worthwhile upgrade for anything other than sound? Is the normal WRX shifter really tall enough to make a short-throw upgrade from the factory worth $300 + labor? Is there anything else about the Premium that's not listed on the website that would make it worthwhile over the base model?
I bought a 2010 WRX, and ended up going with the Premium model. If I recall, it comes with the moonroof, fog lights, heated seats, heated wipers, heated mirrors, and an upgraded Stereo (10 speaker instead of 4 speaker, I think). Honestly, after having it for a while, I might've gone with the base model instead. Each of the things involved is a 'nice to have', but none feel worth the $3k extra or whatever it cost.

I did, however, like the short throw shifter enough to buy it as an option. It feels great. I didn't buy the SPT exhaust as an option, but later bought a used one and LOVE it. The exhaust doesn't really give any added power, but it makes the car sound a million times better. Seriously, the stock exhaust is pathetic and all you hear is engine noise. I LOVE the exhaust.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Sockington posted:

$250 buys you some nice GC Impreza ones that will work. ;) Wagon buddy :hfive:
You know what's nice about steel control arms? When you run into a curb doing donuts (and you will someday), steel control arms can be had for like $2 at a junkyard.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

If you were spec'ing out a 2011 WRX with an ideal price <= $28,000, would you go with the basic or premium, and which factory accessories would you order?

While I don't have a short throw or exhaust, I did buy a 2011 Premium with the following two options.

Popular Equipment Group 2B ( center console pop-up armrest, rear cargo
net, rear seatback cargo net)

Popular Equipment Group 3B (auto dimming mirror with compass plus
Homelink garage door opener, Security System Shock Sensor alarm
upgrade)

My cost after destination but before tax ended up being $27,626, which is $100 over invoice. So, you certainly can easily do a Premium model with options for below $28,000.

I know I've been enjoying the hell out of the heated seats and I'm getting to the part of the year where the heated mirrors and wipers are becoming a real asset.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Dec 6, 2010

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Do we have any goon experts on the 3rd generation JDM Legacy GT-B turbos (estate/wagon versions of the B4)? Things labelled "E-Tune", etc.

I'd be interested in hearing about actual fuel economy and whether they can make decent daily drivers. Just how likely is it that every diff will seize, the gearbox go 'ping' and every oil seal fail as soon as I drive it off the lot?

Basically looking for a decently performing non-FWD wagon that doesn't cost the earth, can tow and will perform well in winter. Import Legacies seem like better bang for the buck than the German competition in that respect.

e: e.g.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2275419.htm

Panoplied Platypus
Dec 21, 2005

Head-First into Glory!
Thanks for the feedback RE: Spec'ing a 2011 WRX. I'll forward all your replies along to my father and see what happens. I have a feeling he will still end up getting the short-shifter and exhaust from the factory, but maybe after reading this he will consider buying the car without the options and seeing how he likes it before ordering the extras.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Thanks for the feedback RE: Spec'ing a 2011 WRX. I'll forward all your replies along to my father and see what happens. I have a feeling he will still end up getting the short-shifter and exhaust from the factory, but maybe after reading this he will consider buying the car without the options and seeing how he likes it before ordering the extras.

Also keep in mind that if other forum comments are to be trusted, there are times where orders for cars that include the short throw option are taking FOREVER to get filled due to supply issues.
When I was looking to order a STI I was specifically asking dealers if they were cool with me coming in later to get the short throw installed after I already took delivery of the car because I didnt feel like waiting 12+ weeks because of a stupid option. I had some dealers who were completely cool about it. Others were talking about charging labor.

Now that Ive driven it both ways(STI stock vs short throw), I think if I were to order I would just leave it off and not have it installed at Port and then just down the road get a Kartboy instead.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

Splinter posted:

Just bought an '05 GT this past weekend! Its been a blast so far, but I have a few questions: What do you guys recommend for fluids, especially oil? Does the A/C being displayed when climate control is in "auto" not necessarily mean the A/C is currently operating? Is there a place to by random small parts for the car? Specifically, I'm looking for one of the little plastic fasteners that holds a piece of plastic (the piece with the power seat controls) to the door side of the drivers seat.

Also, what do you guys think about the SPT intake for these cars? What I've read has suggested that it doesn't increase performance at all, and in some cases may even decrease performance due to increased heat levels. The previous owner had the dealership install one (and the heatshield, but no tune afaik) and I'm thinking about swapping the stock unit back in. Is the criticism of the SPT intake that I've read true? Any reason to keep it in?

I run Rotella T6 5W-40 in the car. Here's a UOA from an STi running it with a 5300-mile OCI:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2078804&gonew=1#UNREAD
I dig it. It's cheaper than a lot of other "premium" oils.

I don't know much about the SPT intake specifically, but I can't imagine it's making anything but a noise difference. I've heard some folks warning against it with a tune, but I've never considered one in my car so YMMV.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Yay/Nay?

2002 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport

$3,778

217k on the clock

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log

The normal shifter Vs. the short throw option is night and day. Beware that you check it for smooth play if you get it, mine was improperly installed and I had to have it serviced by another dealer to get it fixed.

The STI Short throw shifter + an aftermarket short throw shifter is the best shifting experience possible for the car.

I say the pop-up armrest is a MUST-buy as a tall man, I leave it in the extended position constantly. The heated mirrors are also something that over time will be something that makes you smile and not be frustrated with them fogging up.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

JayKay posted:

Yay/Nay?

2002 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport

$3,778

217k on the clock

That's REALLY cheap. Get a carfax report for it.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Amandyke posted:

That's REALLY cheap. Get a carfax report for it.

Yeah I'm definitely going to go check it out in person tomorrow. Already spoke to the salesperson on the phone and he informed me it was an auction purchase. Just ran the carfax, confirmed what he said. 1 Owner, Maryland. 2 open recalls:

quote:

06/28/2008 Subaru of America Manufacturer recall/service
bulletin issued
Recall # WVD14
02-03 Impreza Wagon Rear Gate Stays

06/28/2008 Subaru of America Manufacturer recall/service
bulletin issued
Recall # WWT04
Left Front Seat Slide Rail Bolt Recall

Was just a little wary of the mileage, but I think I might have found my match :v:

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

JayKay posted:

Yeah I'm definitely going to go check it out in person tomorrow. Already spoke to the salesperson on the phone and he informed me it was an auction purchase. Just ran the carfax, confirmed what he said. 1 Owner, Maryland. 2 open recalls:

Was just a little wary of the mileage, but I think I might have found my match :v:

If they've done the second (WOW) timing belt replacement, or can prove that it was done on time, and it has no other mechanical issues or deficient maintenance... That'd be a great cheap beater.

Faithiest
Mar 27, 2010

Forgive me if this video is elsewhere in the megathread.

This is alittle dry but gives an interesting test to the AWD of Subarus vs other AWD vehicles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooQRxlChvMw

Chunderbuss
Sep 22, 2004

Go with the flow.

Faithiest posted:

Forgive me if this video is elsewhere in the megathread.

This is alittle dry but gives an interesting test to the AWD of Subarus vs other AWD vehicles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooQRxlChvMw

How does the "dumb" system in my (older, Jap) STI compare to this trickery?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Chunderbuss posted:

How does the "dumb" system in my (older, Jap) STI compare to this trickery?

Better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
Welp, 69,000 and there goes my third wheel bearing. Subaru extended the warranty coverage for wheel bearings though, so at least I'm not paying for it.

Looks like it's time for tires. I've got RE960s on the car right now; I haven't had a problem with them, and they were a drat sight better than the RE92s. I wore them down a bit (lot) quicker than normal from autocrossing and a track day. Not going to make that mistake again in the future. If I decide to keep autocrossing/doing track days, I'm just getting another set of wheels and tires. That said, I need some good all-seasons. I always recommend RE960s, but I'm also considering the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus. Anyone running the Michelins? They're pretty close in price.

Bud Manstrong fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 7, 2010