Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Turns out my alternator was hosed. Thank god the BMW dealer is putting a brand new Bosch unit in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,
Is this as great of a deal as I think it is?

2003 BMW 3 Series 325xi : series - $2950

http://clarksville.craigslist.org/ctd/2095102664.html

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

manchego posted:

That one sets off my scam sense in a serious way.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

manchego posted:

That is completely 110% a scam

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
This is awesome.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

manchego posted:

You'll Come on foot, you'll leave in a barrel.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Does anyone know anything about BMW angel eyes? It looks like every headlamp for every model that had (has?) it uses a different lighting system for the angel eye part. I have a 1998 model 5 series (E39) but apparently use the 2000-forward headlights. For some reason the angel eyes aren't working. Google isn't much help unless you want them to change colors or strobe or weird poo poo like that. I just want mine to work.

Before you say "just replace the bulbs" - they're custom (I think) and cost $23 each, and that's for the off brand. I pulled my bulbs (gingerly, after finding out what they cost) and they look brand new to me. Both the reflector looks super clean, and the red rubber gasket has no typical engine bay grime accumulated on it yet. What a new, $23 parking light costs:

So does anyone have any ideas on where else to look for why my parking lights/angel eyes aren't working? I could have sworn they worked (although dimly) when I drove the car off the lot Oct 30th. Car just passed inspection in August so surely they were working then.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Well... my little 1988 E30 convertible bit the dust today. Engine fire... No idea what caused it, just pulled up to a corner and it started smoking, then it caught fire. I am really sad.

Edit: On the bright side I do have a wonderful 540i to still give me driving pleasure!

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 5, 2010

Encor3
Jun 29, 2005

Konnichiwa Bitches

Fermunky posted:

The SES light is triggered usually by something within your emissions system, and is not the same "service" as your service interval indicator. You can take it to many parts stores that will read what codes are being triggered for free. But reply with what those codes are instead of throwing parts directly at what the code says.

The code returned was P1418. Quick googling shows it as related to a secondary air pump and/or hoses. Anyone have experience with this code?

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Colleague of mine has a 1998 328i with ~120,000 miles on it. He's planning to list it for $4k, which seems high to me given the following:

- Interior is very clean, except driver seat which is pretty beat up and has an inch long tear on the bolster
- Exterior has a couple of door dings (like the size of a dime) and a few scratches, but otherwise in decent shape
- CEL is lit, possibly because of an automatic transmission that hasn't quite poo poo the bed but is definitely on the way out (getting up steep slopes can be a challenge!)
- Car has been in SoCal its whole life so no rust or anything
- Cooling system has been replaced twice, most recently at around 110,000 miles

He says that he wants to sell the car with the CEL and let the buyer take care of it, which seems a little bonkers to me. What does AI think? Any idea what it costs to rebuild/replace a transmission from that era?

edit> here's a pic of said car

got off on a technicality fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Dec 5, 2010

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Admirable Gusto posted:

Colleague of mine has a 1998 328i with ~120,000 miles on it. He's planning to list it for $4k, which seems high to me given the following:

He might have trouble selling it in that condition. Regular car buyers are generally hesitant to buy a used BMW, let alone one with a check engine light on, high miles, and a slipping transmission. Enthusiasts likely wont want an automatic.

Its a tough situation because he might not get the money back from replacing the transmission unless its done very cheaply. A used junkyard transmission for that year will run you about $450-$700.

tesko.pk
May 7, 2009

8ender posted:

He might have trouble selling it in that condition. Regular car buyers are generally hesitant to buy a used BMW, let alone one with a check engine light on, high miles, and a slipping transmission. Enthusiasts likely wont want an automatic.

Its a tough situation because he might not get the money back from replacing the transmission unless its done very cheaply. A used junkyard transmission for that year will run you about $450-$700.

I say avoid it, I've seen E36 M3's go for $5k, you can find a better condition E36 for less money pretty easily.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
To me, the "basketweave" style is the only style that works for the E30, and the similar style 5s also look excellent on the E36 and E46. I guess that's two of us?

Pimpsolo posted:

Just kidding, yeah, I was skeptical about getting them for the e46. I will say that I totally disagree with you about style 5s on e36's. I don't think there's any wheel in the world that compliments the e36 better. To each his own.
*drool*

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008
Can someone tell me if this is a good deal? Snow is falling in Virgina and i'm looking for a second car so I can spare my sweet Z28 any trips into a ditch.

Asking price is 1500 which I think is slightly high and the mileage scares me a bit but he states to have done quite a bit of maintenance. Always been a huge fan of BMWs since my dad had a couple 3-series and a 5-series when I was a kid.

Here's the skinny:

I'm the second owner of this rare all wheel drive e30 BMW. Most of these were 4 door automatic and mine is 2 door 5 spd which I personally preferred. What may scare some away is the well maintained mileage of 317k. I've just replaced the following on this car: new factory exhaust cat back, timing belt and tensioner, all remaining belts, water pump and thermostat, radiator flush and fresh antifreeze, all new hoses, cam shaft seal, oil filter housing seal, oil filter housing vent, oil cooler o-rings, battery, wipers, spark plugs, and short shift kit. The tires only have around 6,000 miles or so on them. I just changed all the driveline fluids also. I've also recently replace both front wheel bearings, both control arms, both tie rod end, front axles, and rear drive shaft. The steering rack was replaced a while back. This car has been maintained as needed by me and runs amazingly well and does not use oil. It has a recent inspection. It needs struts and I decided to offer it at this price prior to replacing them. I'm thinking of selling the car soon and thought the potential buyer may prefer to have racing or autocross struts on it and I would probably just put Biltsein sports on it for me, and did not want to invest the money or labor if someone wanted something stiffer. Anyway here it is, it runs great. Been the best car I've ever had. If no buyers I'll reoffer with new struts at a higher price. Thanks for looking!

Pic of said car:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Admirable Gusto posted:

- Interior is very clean, except driver seat which is pretty beat up and has an inch long tear on the bolster
- Exterior has a couple of door dings (like the size of a dime) and a few scratches, but otherwise in decent shape
- CEL is lit, possibly because of an automatic transmission that hasn't quite poo poo the bed but is definitely on the way out (getting up steep slopes can be a challenge!)
- Car has been in SoCal its whole life so no rust or anything
- Cooling system has been replaced twice, most recently at around 110,000 miles

He says that he wants to sell the car with the CEL and let the buyer take care of it, which seems a little bonkers to me. What does AI think? Any idea what it costs to rebuild/replace a transmission from that era?

edit> here's a pic of said car

Has he even pulled the CEL code? I'd say he's asking about 2k too much for that car. 4 door automatic 328 is probably the least desirable model, and a CEL is pretty much a "I am willing to sell this dirt cheap" flag.

wav3form posted:

Can someone tell me if this is a good deal? Snow is falling in Virgina and i'm looking for a second car so I can spare my sweet Z28 any trips into a ditch.

Asking price is 1500 which I think is slightly high and the mileage scares me a bit but he states to have done quite a bit of maintenance. Always been a huge fan of BMWs since my dad had a couple 3-series and a 5-series when I was a kid.

If you search my name in this thread you should be able to find some iX info. It sounds like this guy has done some of the important stuff (front axles are 1000 each new for that car). Only thing I'd want to know about are the splines on the driveshaft coming from the front transfer case, and if the viscous center diff even still works at this point.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 5, 2010

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Well... my little 1988 E30 convertible bit the dust today. Engine fire... No idea what caused it, just pulled up to a corner and it started smoking, then it caught fire. I am really sad.

Dang dude, sorry to hear that. I assume it was towed away and is now pending an estimate from a shop somewhere so insurance can total it. Was there any post-mortem done to identify the root cause of the fire?

wav3form posted:

That's a great deal if he actually has the receipts to prove he's done all that maintenance. The mileage isn't really a concern if it has been maintained, though I'd probably spring for a compression check and pre-purchase inspection at a local BMW-specific shop ($150 or so). While I understand that's 10% of your purchase price, if you aren't familiar with BMWs it might save you from making a costly mistake.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008
Thanks for the advice. If it's still available i'll give it a look this week but some of the maintenance issue or potential maintenance issues gleaned from past posts may make me consider just getting a civic or 4x4 pickup. I just need a winter beater.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Sterndotstern posted:

Dang dude, sorry to hear that. I assume it was towed away and is now pending an estimate from a shop somewhere so insurance can total it. Was there any post-mortem done to identify the root cause of the fire?

I have no idea, its sitting in the tow yard. In bad light, it looked like a complete loss, pretty sure I might get a whopping 1000 bucks if I am lucky. I am not going to worry about it right now though. Just thankful that I made it out ok, my pride was hurt, thats it.

The only thing that was changed was a different battery (we will leave the source unnamed), and yes the cables were hooked up correctly, so I am wondering if something electrical related caught fire.

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005
Just missed out on a 1991 318is. Brilliant red, black interior, reasonable mileage a good history. The owner called me as I was about to arrive to say it was sold. So depressed

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

wav3form posted:

Thanks for the advice. If it's still available i'll give it a look this week but some of the maintenance issue or potential maintenance issues gleaned from past posts may make me consider just getting a civic or 4x4 pickup. I just need a winter beater.

I almost bought a really nice one in my area that is very similar to the one you posted above. Absolutely brilliant cars that are unfortunately scary to own due to the special AWD parts costing lots and lots of money if they break.

It doesn't even seem like the AWD system is prone to failure; BMW made a really nice system that can go for years and years with only regular maintenance. The problem is just that if something as simple as a front CV boot tears and you don't get to it in time to save the joint you're instantly out $1000. If the transfer case broke I think you'd just be plain out of luck unless you found a donor car.

discstickers
Jul 29, 2004

Well I did it. I bought the Red 540i 6spd I posted last week...

... and I promptly backed it into a parked Accord. :doh:

I was trying to parallel park on a hill, had it in first to inch forward, and first didn't engage. Luckily I was sharply turned and barely did any damage, just some paint scrapings on the Accord. I didn't feel or hear anything, so I knew it wasn't going to be bad, but I'd only owned it for about 5 minutes. :sigh:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

discstickers posted:

I was trying to parallel park on a hill, had it in first to inch forward, and first didn't engage. Luckily I was sharply turned and barely did any damage, just some paint scrapings on the Accord. I didn't feel or hear anything, so I knew it wasn't going to be bad, but I'd only owned it for about 5 minutes. :sigh:

I got backed into the first week I owned my E30. Guy's insurance wrote me a check for $650. Win!

The very next day I got hit and run by some douchebag in a Buick.

Every time I get into a car with a Roundel I swear to God it becomes a loving bulls-eye.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

discstickers posted:

When I bought my first E34 in Germany (I live in a neighbor country), I had only owned it for about 30 minutes, was on my way home, and I came to a stoplight. I braked slowly.... and BONK, bumped into a car that was stopped at the red light in front of me. I had been driving an old Golf with a considerably shorter front/hood for years before that, so I misjudged it.

Thankfully he spoke English, was nice, and nothing happened, so I got off free.

Grats on the purchase though.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Ice Road Roundels...

e46 320d + Dunlop Winter Sport 3Ds = Best thing I have ever driven in the snow. Only reason I've been stuck so far was because I missed a motorway exit (it was just two slushy black lines), I decided to cut across virgin snow and plowed / bottomed out :rolleyes: Dug less than half the snow away, rocked back and forth with DSC off and just drove out :)

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person
Hey very rare e46 320d touring SA buddy! :eek::hf::eek: My winter tires are an unknown number of seasons old and I had a lot of fun trying to get up the incline that is my driveway today. Thanks for reminding me of the DSC button, I'll use that next time.
I will return the favor with a tip: if your rear window washer nozzle isn't working anymore, you can't even hear the small pump working... then fear not! It is simply sleeping because of the -9 degrees Celsius and will wake up and spring into action when the temperature has been above 0 for a little while, like it was today :)

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Cheers for letting me know why my washer wasn't working! Luckily my front washers have only frozen up twice so far, -8.5c seems to be too cold for them. Not sure how much difference switching DSC off makes but it did seem to help me get moving when I was proper stuck. Otherwise DSC does magical things to keep me in a straight line, although it mostly only comes on if I try and provoke it!

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,
I was browsing and came across this vehicle:

2003 BMW 325i

Up front, this is my first used vehicle and i'm still very new to shopping for used BMWs and am curious if the listed price of $9,990 is hot or cold.

Also, I had access to the vehicles free CARFAX report:

Are the two accidents that are reported deal breakers? Is there anything else on the report that jumps out as troubling?

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

manchego posted:

I was browsing and came across this vehicle:

2003 BMW 325i

Up front, this is my first used vehicle and i'm still very new to shopping for used BMWs and am curious if the listed price of $9,990 is hot or cold.

Also, I had access to the vehicles free CARFAX report:

Are the two accidents that are reported deal breakers? Is there anything else on the report that jumps out as troubling?

That fox is creepy as hell.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
1997 328i 5-speed, 192,200 miles.

Take a look at this video. I was checking my brake lights, since it tells me I have a brake circuit failure every once in awhile. Might be a loose trunk wire (which I fixed once) or something else. But my brake lights obviously work fine right now.

However, if you listen to when I rev it at :34, the engine seems to stumble a bit as it comes down.

Is this normal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXF_8Nk60QU

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

CornHolio posted:

Take a look at this video. I was checking my brake lights, since it tells me I have a brake circuit failure every once in awhile. Might be a loose trunk wire (which I fixed once) or something else. But my brake lights obviously work fine right now.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin...&FILTER_TOOL=ON

Brake light switch that works off the pedal arm. It's a cheap part, you just have to check if you have a 2-pin or 4-pin connector. Usually the source of the "Brake Circuit" failures. Also worth doublechecking the trunk wiring again.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Crustashio posted:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin...&FILTER_TOOL=ON

Brake light switch that works off the pedal arm. It's a cheap part, you just have to check if you have a 2-pin or 4-pin connector. Usually the source of the "Brake Circuit" failures. Also worth doublechecking the trunk wiring again.

My brakes work though.

It's been doing this for a couple of years now, off and on. I always like to check though, and videotape my brake lights working.

wait... videotape? man that's obsolete isn't it?

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

CornHolio posted:

My brakes work though.

I had this happen too. He's right, it's the switch.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Lowclock posted:

I had this happen too. He's right, it's the switch.

I mean, my brake lights work though.

Can the switch go bad intermittently?

I'm more concerned about the engine sound, honestly... any thoughts on that?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

CornHolio posted:

I mean, my brake lights work though.

Can the switch go bad intermittently?

Yes. I'm not sure of the actual failure (probably worn contacts from the limit switch) but it will give you the message everytime the fault happens. It's seriously a cheap and relatively easy fix if you can turn a phillips head and remove some interior trim.

Just keep this in mind: when you come to removing the busted switch, don't be gentle. Grab a big pair of vise grips/channel locks/etc. and rip it out. The switch is design with a little collar that pretty much prevents removal at the angle you have to work with.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

stump posted:

Ice Road Roundels...

e46 320d + Dunlop Winter Sport 3Ds = Best thing I have ever driven in the snow. Only reason I've been stuck so far was because I missed a motorway exit (it was just two slushy black lines), I decided to cut across virgin snow and plowed / bottomed out :rolleyes: Dug less than half the snow away, rocked back and forth with DSC off and just drove out :)

I'm finding my E34 is considerably less good than that. The LSD means I can plow through a lot of snow without trouble but I'm finding that the rear end steps out a lot. Snow tires on all fours. No traction control of course.

I'm going to put some sandbags in the trunk as I suspect its way too light back there. Theres even a little lower area in the trunk over the axles that looks like it was designed to take sandbags. Has anyone else done this and how much sand can I safely put back there?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

8ender posted:

I'm finding my E34 is considerably less good than that. The LSD means I can plow through a lot of snow without trouble but I'm finding that the rear end steps out a lot. Snow tires on all fours. No traction control of course.

I'm going to put some sandbags in the trunk as I suspect its way too light back there. Theres even a little lower area in the trunk over the axles that looks like it was designed to take sandbags. Has anyone else done this and how much sand can I safely put back there?

He didn't stay anything about the car keeping traction though, just having fun. There's no combination of passenger car and normal winter tires that allows you to just go full throttle through snow.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

The back end can still get a bit lairy with traction control on when pulling off from a standstill junction if you aren't careful in snow and slush. Once it is going DSC keeps things going straight very well, but it still needs provocation/carelessness to get the DSC light flickering. Not had much of a chance to play with DSC off, I've been concentrating on staying out of ditches as opposed to opposite lock fun times :(

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

stump posted:

The back end can still get a bit lairy with traction control on when pulling off from a standstill junction if you aren't careful in snow and slush. Once it is going DSC keeps things going straight very well, but it still needs provocation/carelessness to get the DSC light flickering. Not had much of a chance to play with DSC off, I've been concentrating on staying out of ditches as opposed to opposite lock fun times :(

I thought DSC was only amusing in the snow. I remember it being fun to just floor the throttle in 1st in my 330 and have the dsc sort it out.

The system was a loving pain otherwise - getting out of junctions for example, or trying to clip an apex, not drive into the inside curb. If you didn't turn it off, the DSC would tuck the nose in so you had to let off lock to get round the corner.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Pilsner posted:

He didn't stay anything about the car keeping traction though, just having fun. There's no combination of passenger car and normal winter tires that allows you to just go full throttle through snow.

No I don't want to go full throttle through snow, though I really miss doing that with the Subaru. Really my main problem is the back end stepping out. I also had trouble getting up my driveway yesterday. Now we have like a foot and a half of snow on the ground so these aren't reasonable conditions for any car but I'd like to do anything I can to improve things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Saga posted:

I thought DSC was only amusing in the snow. I remember it being fun to just floor the throttle in 1st in my 330 and have the dsc sort it out.

The system was a loving pain otherwise - getting out of junctions for example, or trying to clip an apex, not drive into the inside curb. If you didn't turn it off, the DSC would tuck the nose in so you had to let off lock to get round the corner.
To be honest I've rarely activated DSC outside first gear in other than in the snow. The limits of the car are above how fast I feel comfortable going on public roads, I guess the downside of having a car the handles well is that you have less chance to explore it's limits :smith: I need to get my rear end to a trackday.