Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
What I meant was use the remote operated switch part of the power strip to switch on a connection between the exposed wires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ValhallaSmith
Aug 16, 2005
Anyone know a good source for small super cheap displays? I'd like something 2-3" square. Monochrome, LCD or whatever technology is cheapest. Probably need 100 of them. Nothing fancy but places seem to want 10$ per part for even the bottom of the barrel. I'd be willing to use surplus stuff if I can get enough.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
apparently previous generation ipod nano displays are hella cheap?

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Hey there guys, just picked up a NerdKit which seems to be a more newbie friendly Arduino in that its based around the Atmel Atmega168. I am just getting into electronics and read electronics for dummies which I'd highly recommend for a little bedside reading.

So far I have managed to blink an LED and output whether it is on or off (hooray) and make it read a temp sensor all with code written by someone else. Awesome. Reading "C for Dummies" now.

ValhallaSmith posted:

Anyone know a good source for small super cheap displays? I'd like something 2-3" square. Monochrome, LCD or whatever technology is cheapest. Probably need 100 of them. Nothing fancy but places seem to want 10$ per part for even the bottom of the barrel. I'd be willing to use surplus stuff if I can get enough.

Would a regular ol dot matrix LCD work?

http://www.bizoner.com/arduino-1602-lcd-module-black-char-green-backlight-p-188.html

AnomalousBoners fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Nov 23, 2010

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

ValhallaSmith posted:

Sparkfun has some good deals on monochrome LCDs.

This one is only $3 but you need to source one of those annoying rubbery connector strip things to use it:
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9924

This one is the same, but mounted on a PCB so you don't need to buy the connector. $8.
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10168

Ninja edit: They are $2.36 and $6.36 in quantities of 100, respectively.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Have any of you ever run into something you could not de-solder? I was trying to remove a jack from an Insipron 1545 and unlike most other systems, this jack was on a small daughterboard. The jack would NOT come loose, I removed as much solder as possible, wetted the pins with some fresh solder and wiggled back and forth a little, then tried to pry up on it a bit, but nothing. Eventually the jack just broke off with the pins still in the holes. I have never run into anything this difficult to remove so far.

Any suggestions?

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Happens a lot. Big ground pour nearby, the part itself is a big heatsink, aluminum pcb, whatever. Just add more heat. A lot of the time it's easier to add a LOT more solder and just bridge every pin (lay your iron sidways) into a big blob instead of wicking each leg one by one.

And more heat, always more heat.

guenter
Dec 24, 2003
All I want out of life is to be a monkey of moderate intelligence who wears a suit. That's why I've decided to transfer to business school!
I have a little project in mind as a way to get back into RC (well, except for the radio part) and learn a little about electronics. Basically, I'd like to be able to control some kind of vehicle with my iPhone using the accelerometers.

I think what I've decided on is to start with one of these: http://www.robotshop.com/dfrobotshop-rover-tracked-robot-basic-kit.html. Eventually I'd like to be able to build my own vehicle from an RC kit or something but for now that's the less interesting part for me. Anyways, I'd then combine it with one of these: http://www.asynclabs.com/store?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=29&category_id=6.

Am I going to be able to do what I want to do with this? My eventual goals are to add lots of random instrumentation including video and any other useless data that sounds fun (temperature, light, whatever) to the thing and displaying it all on the iPhone. Once I get point to point working I'd then also like to hook it up to my home network and torment my cat while at work or something. Or mount lasers to it and use it for home defense.

I'm an experienced programmer so nothing on that side really worries me except for having never worked on the iPhone before. Any gotchas there?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Quick, someone convince me that the whole PIC family isn't completely worthless.

I've been having nothing but problems.

SPI doesn't seem to work properly with my 18F4610. Google reveals that this is a common problem.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
PICs work perfectly for me and peripheral pin select is the best feature on microprocessors since, uh, anything ever.

So yea PICs own. But I use pic24s.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

guenter posted:

I have a little project in mind as a way to get back into RC (well, except for the radio part) and learn a little about electronics. Basically, I'd like to be able to control some kind of vehicle with my iPhone using the accelerometers.

I think what I've decided on is to start with one of these: http://www.robotshop.com/dfrobotshop-rover-tracked-robot-basic-kit.html. Eventually I'd like to be able to build my own vehicle from an RC kit or something but for now that's the less interesting part for me. Anyways, I'd then combine it with one of these: http://www.asynclabs.com/store?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=29&category_id=6.

Am I going to be able to do what I want to do with this? My eventual goals are to add lots of random instrumentation including video and any other useless data that sounds fun (temperature, light, whatever) to the thing and displaying it all on the iPhone. Once I get point to point working I'd then also like to hook it up to my home network and torment my cat while at work or something. Or mount lasers to it and use it for home defense.

I'm an experienced programmer so nothing on that side really worries me except for having never worked on the iPhone before. Any gotchas there?

If you can handle C/Object-C then Embedded C should be no problem!

http://www.nerdkits.com/videos/rc_car/

EDIT: PS if the NK is too much to swing the components individually from digikey are like $20.

AnomalousBoners fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Nov 27, 2010

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Does anyone know of a good tutorial for hooking up power relays? I need to set one up for an electrical pump that just plugs into a wall socket with your typical three pronged plug.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
What exactly do you need the relay(s) to do?

Is the pump 3-phase?
    Do you need to limit the rpms of the pump's motor?
    Is the motor big enough that you have to redirect current through special starter windings?
    Were you planning on using water (or whatever fluid) levels/presures to control the pumps operation?

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
As I understand it you want a 120V relay that will switch on your pump. Is the pump also 120V? Or are you saying the pump plugs into a typical 3 prong 120V wall outlet and you want to use a secondary relay to control it?

ValhallaSmith
Aug 16, 2005
Thanks for the display suggestions guys. Might get one of them.

Anyone else enter that Renesas design contest with the free devkit? Finally got mine in via fedex. With the almost 900 page hardcover book included I think it might actually be a better deal if they just gave you a wifi kindle with all their documents on it.

ValhallaSmith fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Nov 29, 2010

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The pump takes 120V and 50mA. I just need to be able to switch it on and off electronically to demonstrate a microcontroller (so it doesn't really matter how fast the pump is going), but I have no idea experience using/installing relays.

quote:

Or are you saying the pump plugs into a typical 3 prong 120V wall outlet and you want to use a secondary relay to control it?

This. It has a power cord (no transformer) that plugs into a wall outlet.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
Find an NPN BJT and connect the output of the micro to the base. Connect the Emitter to ground and the collector to one side of the relay coil. Connect the other side of the relay coil to VCC. Break the hot lead in the pump power cord and connect one side to the relay's common terminal and the other to the NO (normally open) terminal. Driving the output connected to the BJT high will energize the relay, connecting C to NO, and turning on the pump.

This is simplified, if you want it more robust you should add a flyback diode and probably some resistors like a 10k between B and E on the NPN.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

ValhallaSmith posted:

Thanks for the display suggestions guys. Might get one of them.

Anyone else enter that Renesas design contest with the free devkit? Finally got mine in via fedex. With the almost 900 page hardcover book included I think it might actually be a better deal if they just gave you a wifi kindle with all their documents on it.

y'know, if you had told us about it when there was still devkits available to get, i bet more people would've entered :(

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Hillridge posted:

Find an NPN BJT and connect the output of the micro to the base. Connect the Emitter to ground and the collector to one side of the relay coil. Connect the other side of the relay coil to VCC. Break the hot lead in the pump power cord and connect one side to the relay's common terminal and the other to the NO (normally open) terminal. Driving the output connected to the BJT high will energize the relay, connecting C to NO, and turning on the pump.

This is simplified, if you want it more robust you should add a flyback diode and probably some resistors like a 10k between B and E on the NPN.

Thanks. After tripping the breaker and watching sparks form inside the relay a few times I got everything working.

ValhallaSmith
Aug 16, 2005

Frobbe posted:

y'know, if you had told us about it when there was still devkits available to get, i bet more people would've entered :(

It was pretty widely advertised. There was a thing on most of the major "maker" sites, eevblog, etc.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

longview posted:

I know this is a long-shot but does anyone know a way of getting NEC service manuals? I've been calling all day to their German headquarters as well as the Swedish repair centre, and they plain refuse to send them to outsiders.

If anyone has any connections or something like that and could get me the schematic PDF for the MultiSync V921 Model N903 it would really get us out of a tricky situation here.
There is one site that has the V921-1, this is a different board, googling results in a PDF of the service manual but the schematics are too small to read so it's useless.

We use CRT monitors to train students in fault finding, and we thought we had the correct manual, but it was for a different system board, without this we're pretty much SOL...
I work for NEC Electronics (now Renesas Electronics) in a different division (semiconductor design,) but I have pretty extensive intranet access and some decent connections with the display group (which, as you might guess, has pretty much completely transitioned to LCD design and support these days.)

I did some digging and pinging and, I'm sorry to say I really don't think this stuff exists anymore. At least not digitally in the US or Japan. It maybe in a printout in some long-ago laid-off guy's file cabinet in Europe, but that's like finding a needle in a stack of needles. I mostly know/have access in US and Japan, and can't really help much with Europe, but it sounds like you already tried those guys. Do you have a name/contact of someone (English or Japanese speaking) in Europe that you think has the manual you need and just won't share it externally? If so PM me and I'll give it a go.

Short of that (and it's a long shot), sorry! If I hear anything good I'll let you know, but I just wanted to chime in and encourage you to seek whatever alternatives you might have.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I know very little about wiring, and I have a stupid question about using a pair of switches to control power on/off and forward/reverse for a small motor powered by a battery.

One switch would be SPST to just interrupt power... then what? How would a second switch be used to change polarity to the motor? What kind of switch is needed?
If someone could help me with a simple diagram I would be forever grateful.

Basically I'm imagining it like:

Battery->SPST (on/off)->?(second switch, forward/reverse)->motor

How would I actually wire this up?

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Use a single DPDT switch instead. Get one with three positions and it'll have an 'off' position too.

edit:

Zo fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 2, 2010

insta
Jan 28, 2009

sirbeefalot posted:

I know very little about wiring, and I have a stupid question about using a pair of switches to control power on/off and forward/reverse for a small motor powered by a battery.

One switch would be SPST to just interrupt power... then what? How would a second switch be used to change polarity to the motor? What kind of switch is needed?
If someone could help me with a simple diagram I would be forever grateful.

Basically I'm imagining it like:

Battery->SPST (on/off)->?(second switch, forward/reverse)->motor

How would I actually wire this up?

H-bridge. Replace transistors with the DPDT switch below vvv Remember to alternate the terminals! If the motor doesn't move when you flip the switch you are shorting your power supply out!

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Zo posted:

Use a single DPDT switch instead. Get one with three positions and it'll have an 'off' position too.

Is there any way to do it with two or is it way over-complicated? I've done a couple drawings for a prototype for someone and they like the look of individual switches. I've suggested a single one but they'd like to see both options. :/

e; Duh, left the reply window open. :downs:

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 2, 2010

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
You can do it with two, just treat the above drawing as two SPDT rather than one DPDT. you will have a couple combinations where nothing happens though (+ to +, - to -).

Hillridge fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 2, 2010

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

sirbeefalot posted:

Is there any way to do it with two or is it way over-complicated? I've done a couple drawings for a prototype for someone and they like the look of individual switches. I've suggested a single one but they'd like to see both options. :/

e; Duh, left the reply window open. :downs:

In that case use a two-position DPDT switch for directional control (the same as the drawing in my above post but without the middle positions marked with X's), then add another normal switch anywhere that breaks the circuit for on-off.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Zo posted:

In that case use a two-position DPDT switch for directional control (the same as the drawing in my above post but without the middle positions marked with X's), then add another normal switch anywhere that breaks the circuit for on-off.

Cool, I figured this was the case. Thanks!

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
Do any of you know what the internal pullup in a Cyclone II is? I suspect it's around 15k because it was overpowering my 10k pulldown, but not by much.

SnoPuppy
Jun 15, 2005

Hillridge posted:

Do any of you know what the internal pullup in a Cyclone II is? I suspect it's around 15k because it was overpowering my 10k pulldown, but not by much.

It's in the datasheet - page 94.
http://www.altera.com/literature/hb/cyc2/cyc2_cii5v1_01.pdf

Looks like it can range from 10k - 50k if you're using 3.3v IO

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Theoretically, is therre any difference between this:

and this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4xsqw463Hs

?

SnoPuppy
Jun 15, 2005

The Scientist posted:

Theoretically, is therre any difference between this:

and this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4xsqw463Hs

?

Yes - they operate on completely different principles.

A microwave emits RF energy at around 2.4 GHz, which is absorbed by various polar molecules (such as water or fats in the case of food) through a process called dielectric heating. This basically causes the polar molecule to rotate (NOT vibrate) producing heat.

An induction furnace uses very high magnetic fields to induce eddy currents in the metal to be heated. Additional heating in magnetic materials is caused by magnetic hysteresis, which causes the atomic dipoles to rapid flip. Either way, it's caused by magnetically coupling the the material to be heated and is very different than dielectric heating.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Thanks, very well explained.

Why is it that the part can have so much voltage induced across it, but still be safe for the dude to hold with his bare hand? Is it only the fact that he's not providing a path to ground that he's not getting a 17.5 kv shock?

Also, does this mean that you could not heat like a laminate ferrite core of a normal transformer as much as the piece in the video?

Krenzo
Nov 10, 2004
Has anyone ever messed around with ultra wideband stuff?

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

I'm currently trying to teach myself how to make circuits and solder and what not. I've done a few tutorials and kits from sparkfun, and feel like I have the super very basics down (but am still quite overwhelmed--this stuff is hard!).

Right now I'm trying to construct a circuit and I'm just unsure of how to do a few things. My many nights of googling has helped a little, but I'm still having a few issues. If anybody could point me in the right direction that'd be great. Pardon my layman's terms/ignorance.

Problem 1:

Is there some sort of component that has a higher forward voltage than the minimum .7 that I seem to see on most resistor/diodes? Or maybe some sort of component that is specifically for "filtering" or something? I just want my circuit to work if it's being supplied with > 10v or something like that and for it to ignore anything < 10v. I'm totally lost on this, as it seems everybody wants their stuff to work with minimal power. What would I use?

Problem 2:

Are there any sort of capacitors that "leak" charge? I want to charge one up but I don't want it to remain indefinitely. Or alternatively a way to slowly drain the charge from one. would i just use a really low resistor hooked up to it constantly, and then use a switch to connect it to the rest of the circuit when it reaches a certain level?

Problem 2.5:

Is there a way to measure how much charge a capacitor currently has? or maybe something else like that?

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit

crabrock posted:

Problem 1:

Is there some sort of component that has a higher forward voltage than the minimum .7 that I seem to see on most resistor/diodes? Or maybe some sort of component that is specifically for "filtering" or something? I just want my circuit to work if it's being supplied with > 10v or something like that and for it to ignore anything < 10v. I'm totally lost on this, as it seems everybody wants their stuff to work with minimal power. What would I use?

I'm am very much a beginner as well, and I don't mean this to be condescending, but:

Ehhh.... Wut?

A resistor has a [relatively] constant resistance. If there is a difference of voltage between one lead of the resistor and the other, the exact voltage drop of that specific resistor is a function of the voltage of the entire circuit, the resistance of the entire circuit. For instance, if you have 3 lamp bulbs in series (that is, in a row, one lead of one lamp touching one lead of the next; such that any one electron has to flow through all bulbs during the course of traversing the circuit), the exact drop in voltage you see across each bulb is bulb 1's resistance divided by the circuit's entire resistance, mutliplied by the entire circuit's voltage. Like this:
R1/RT * VT

Now, what you described DOES seem like a valid understanding of forward bias voltage. A diode is simple a junction of 2 dissimilar semiconductors. In order to overcome the gap in that junction, between the 2 dissimilar semiconductors, a certain voltage is needed. The junction presents resistance, and a specific minimum voltage is required to overcome that resistance.

There are semiconductors with different characteristics, among those different forward bias voltages. Although this is not what, from your description, it sounds like you need, here's an example of a diode that behaves differently than the normal, run of the mill variety: Zener Diode

You don't actually need a diode your objective. A diode is most commonly just for controlling the direction of voltage - letting positive voltage through, but showing a large resistance to any negative voltage.

You've got a circuit that you only want to work if it sees more than 10 volts. Does the circuit require over 10 volts to work? or does it need only the voltage left over once you subtract 10 volts?

quote:

Problem 2:

Are there any sort of capacitors that "leak" charge? I want to charge one up but I don't want it to remain indefinitely. Or alternatively a way to slowly drain the charge from one. would i just use a really low resistor hooked up to it constantly, and then use a switch to connect it to the rest of the circuit when it reaches a certain level?

Problem 2.5:

Is there a way to measure how much charge a capacitor currently has? or maybe something else like that?

A capacitor will drain its stored voltage as long as it has a complete circuit to a point with a lower potential. You know, like one terminal of a battery when referenced against the opposite terminal.

So if you have the positive terminal of a battery with a wire running to the positive terminal of a capacitor (some capacitors are polar, they have a specific terminal for positive and for negative. Some don't), then the negative terminal has 2 wires hooked up to it. One of the wires branches off to a resistor, and on the other side of the resistor is another wire that goes straight to the other battery terminal. The other wire branching off from the capacitor goes to an on/off switch, then to the other battery terminal like the first.

So, when the switch is on(closed, so current can flow), any charge that has built up in the capacitor dissipates back to the other battery post. For our purposes, this is basically instantaneous. If we assume that the wires in our circuit have a resistance of basically 0 ohms, this is true.

However, we know a resistor resists current flow. If only 1 amp of current, for example, can flow through a resistor as opposed to 2, it would take 2x as long to achieve a total flow of 2 amps. This is self explanatory.

So, how fast the charge in a capacitor drains is a function of the resistance it has to overcome for the electrons to flow to where they want to be. The higher the resistance, the less current can flow at any one time, so the slower the capacitor drains. There is a term that describes the relationship between a resistor and a capacitor: RC Time Constant

ValhallaSmith
Aug 16, 2005

crabrock posted:

I'm currently trying to teach myself how to make circuits and solder and what not. I've done a few tutorials and kits from sparkfun, and feel like I have the super very basics down (but am still quite overwhelmed--this stuff is hard!).

Right now I'm trying to construct a circuit and I'm just unsure of how to do a few things. My many nights of googling has helped a little, but I'm still having a few issues. If anybody could point me in the right direction that'd be great. Pardon my layman's terms/ignorance.

Problem 1:

Assuming this means you want your circuit to be off if it isn't receiving enough voltage. You want a voltage regulator with a low voltage cutoff. Or use a switching chip to do it.

crabrock posted:

Problem 2:

All capacitors leak charge. I believe TVs and such that have very high capacity capacitors have high value resistors across them to drain them off within 15 minutes. Thats probably changed with newer TVs.

crabrock posted:

Problem 2.5:

Put a volt meter across it? I mean assuming you are not measuring some crazy high voltage capacitor. You can get the actual coulombs of charge by multiplying the voltage times its rated capacitance. Keep in mind that is a very rough value as the actual capacitance of the capacitor changes as it fills.

SnoPuppy
Jun 15, 2005

Krenzo posted:

Has anyone ever messed around with ultra wideband stuff?

What are you tryng to do? Cognative radio? Or just a very high bandwidth link?

Generally it's all done with FPGAs since you have to acquire and process very large amounts of data.

Krenzo
Nov 10, 2004

SnoPuppy posted:

What are you tryng to do? Cognative radio? Or just a very high bandwidth link?

Generally it's all done with FPGAs since you have to acquire and process very large amounts of data.

I'm trying to do time of flight stuff: send out a single pulse from a transmitter and time how long it takes to reach the receiver. I have several FPGAs and have built a test circuit that can time the travel time of a square pulse through a wire to within about 100 picoseconds (I'm planning to reduce the noise to get a more accurate timer). The next part is to construct a UWB transmitter and receiver to replace the wire that the pulse travels through. However, the difficult part I'm having to deal with is figuring out how I'm going to troubleshoot any problems I may encounter with such narrow pulses (ones that will register in the >3 ghz range). To even be able to see the pulse with an oscilloscope would take a very expensive one. I'm currently trying to ask electrical engineer grad students at my school to figure out if the university has any fast scopes I could get some time with. I hate the idea of getting into this project and not have any concrete feedback as to what's going on, ie if things are really operating how I planned them to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ValhallaSmith
Aug 16, 2005

Krenzo posted:

I'm trying to do time of flight stuff: send out a single pulse from a transmitter and time how long it takes to reach the receiver. I have several FPGAs and have built a test circuit that can time the travel time of a square pulse through a wire to within about 100 picoseconds (I'm planning to reduce the noise to get a more accurate timer). The next part is to construct a UWB transmitter and receiver to replace the wire that the pulse travels through. However, the difficult part I'm having to deal with is figuring out how I'm going to troubleshoot any problems I may encounter with such narrow pulses (ones that will register in the >3 ghz range). To even be able to see the pulse with an oscilloscope would take a very expensive one. I'm currently trying to ask electrical engineer grad students at my school to figure out if the university has any fast scopes I could get some time with. I hate the idea of getting into this project and not have any concrete feedback as to what's going on, ie if things are really operating how I planned them to.

Why do you need UWB? Or do you plan on scanning through specific frequencies?

One thing you might consider is just using dirt cheap DBS LNBs for your transmitter and receiver. It would be easier than building a UWB from scratch and have less need for a high speed RF scope.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDyo_OQFdAc is Jeri Ellsworth's take on modifying a LNB.