Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Breath Ray posted:

Thanks BP you're a saint. If I keep checking the site status on whois.com, in April+3 months, will that show up and make a domainer think, 'aha! buy buy buy'?

No, you should be fine. Only the site you're searching at knows what you're searching for (which is why I suggest who.is or someplace similar that is not a registrar). The incidents like gwar3k1 were reffering to don't really happen anymore after ICANN got nosey into it.

There is a chance someone could mine search engine data but one guy searching would be very insignificant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

This may be a stupid question but I have a wireless N router in my house and it works just great, but I allow my friend who lives next door to use my Internet and since I got the Wireless N my router doesnt even show up on his computer, I imagine it is because whatever wireless he has in his computer it is not N. He came over here and we plugged his old router (from before he was a cheap rear end in a top hat and got his Internet disconnected) into mine (ran a wire from one of the LAN ports on mine, into the main internet port on his) he can now pick up a signal from his router, but the Internet doesnt connect.

I am sure there is something I have to do in order to make this work other than just plugging it in. Any ideas?

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone
I seem to remember reading an A/T thread about a guy who worked as a repo man and had some interesting stories. Maybe it was an "tell me about your interesting jobs" thread or something, I dunno, but I vaguely remember a story about some white trash woman offering him sex to not repo her stuff. Does anyone know if this thread is still around or have a link to it? If it's in archives I may have to spring for it.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
Was it Stories from Rent-to-Own?

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone

Arriviste posted:

Was it Stories from Rent-to-Own?

I bet it is, thanks.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Do racehorses have any sense they're in a race?

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Are you asking if horses can understand that they're participating in some sort of contest, or if they know they're running along with other horses?

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Kiinda. Horses aren't all that bright compared to some other animals humans pal around with, but they have an instinctual drive to run with a pack, and, in racehorses, an instinct to be at the head of that pack. They know when a jockey's on their back, and they know when they're in a situation that will lead to treats and nose rubs, but they usually aren't concerned with, like, the crowd cheering them on.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Loopyface posted:

Are you asking if horses can understand that they're participating in some sort of contest, or if they know they're running along with other horses?

Either. How much do they comprehend what's going during a race?

Slashie posted:

Kiinda. Horses aren't all that bright compared to some other animals humans pal around with, but they have an instinctual drive to run with a pack, and, in racehorses, an instinct to be at the head of that pack. They know when a jockey's on their back, and they know when they're in a situation that will lead to treats and nose rubs, but they usually aren't concerned with, like, the crowd cheering them on.

So can we say they have a desire to win? Or are they just doing what they do because some guy is hitting them with a whip?

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Either. How much do they comprehend what's going during a race?

So can we say they have a desire to win? Or are they just doing what they do because some guy is hitting them with a whip?

They have a desire to feel the sensation of having no horses ahead of them and many horses behind them, but no concept of that as "winning." It's just that being the leader of the pack is like being President of Horses for them. They find it... instinctually satisfying, the way eating or procreating might be.

I think the key here is to realize horses have no concept of a "finish line." Wild horses will appear to be racing even though they have nowhere in particular to go. They'll just run like that until they get tired or distracted.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
What category do I drill down to on Amazon.com to browse men's leather satchels/briefcases/etc.?

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

the posted:

What category do I drill down to on Amazon.com to browse men's leather satchels/briefcases/etc.?

Clothing/Men/Accessories/Wallets. Satchels and briefcases are in luggage, but you're probably better off doing a keyword search there.

Edit: Durr... you didn't even ask for wallets. Well whatever. "Men's leather satchel" kicked up a lot of results.

Hootie Hoo
Nov 13, 2008

by angerbot
What was the name of the toy from the mid 90s that let you make candies in the shape of gross things like zombie brains, and bugs and poo poo? I'm having a brain fart on this one.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
Creepy Crawlers sounds like what you're talking about, but I don't think they were candy. They kind of looked like gummy candy, though, as I recall.

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009
I just got platinum, and I'm trying to help out some Santa's in the SASS 2010 thread. I'm searching for a user with about 1300 posts, but when I do a search it only shows 15 or so. I do have archives, so I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or if the posts are unviewable. Help, please!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Robin Sparkles posted:

I just got platinum, and I'm trying to help out some Santa's in the SASS 2010 thread. I'm searching for a user with about 1300 posts, but when I do a search it only shows 15 or so. I do have archives, so I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or if the posts are unviewable. Help, please!

This person a mod or admin, by any chance? It could be possible they are posting in a forum that isn't accessible to normal users.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
I feel the horrific pull of World of Warcraft once again. When I quit, I had through BC. I want Cata, but $40 (WotLK) + $40 (Cata) + $15 (monthly) = $95 is way too steep a price for my first month. Do I have any options besides "suck it up" or "don't play, you idiot"? (Is WotLK expected to drop in price with Cata's release? Are there any rumors of a discounted bundle?)

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

This person a mod or admin, by any chance? It could be possible they are posting in a forum that isn't accessible to normal users.

Nope, regular user. I swear archives used to be at a specific url, is this correct? Is there a way I can search through archives? The only ones I see are comedy goldmine, etc.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
you can't search archives.

BART IM PISS
Aug 4, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
If made sex to a Shreck would it make half/half children, or is one or the others genes more dominant..or is it just not possible?

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

ImmortalYawn posted:

If made sex to a Shreck would it make half/half children, or is one or the others genes more dominant..or is it just not possible?

I've read this a couple times, and I'm not sure it's English.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
Anyone know of any good open mic night comedy clubs in Chicago? I'm looking for sort of well known hole in the wall places, but also not something that a ton of people know about and flock to. Kinda like the place that Louis CK always goes to on his show.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

ImmortalYawn posted:

You're asking if a fictitious ogre's genes are dominant over a human's genes? Well, I guess it fit the thread, being a stupid question...

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Is there a way to pour coke/pepsi into a cup without all the fizz? Its a pain seeing that half the cup is just temporary fizz, so I have to refill, wait, refill, wait...

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003
Pour it at an angle.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Loopyface posted:

Pour it at an angle.

The cup? Or the soda bottle?

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

Avocadoes posted:

Is there a way to pour coke/pepsi into a cup without all the fizz? Its a pain seeing that half the cup is just temporary fizz, so I have to refill, wait, refill, wait...

Its technically for beer but its exactly the same pretty much:

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-pour-the-perfect-beer

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Thanks, ill try this once I finish my coke.

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009
e: nvm

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

ImmortalYawn posted:

Sex is possible. I may just shoot blanks, but I never pulled out and I never got her pregnant, and I do not think she was on the pill.

So it is possible that humans cannot impregnate Shreks. But yes the sex is entirely possible.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

kapalama posted:

Sex is possible. I may just shoot blanks, but I never pulled out and I never got her pregnant, and I do not think she was on the pill.

So it is possible that humans cannot impregnate Shreks. But yes the sex is entirely possible.

Ugh, I can't believe I'm answering this...

I assume by Shreks you mean ogres from the Shrek movies? In a world where they exist, Ogres would have to be related to humans genetically. There's just too many obvious anatomical similarities, so they would also be primates. But just like you couldn't impregnate another species of ape, you could not impregnate an ogre. The physical dissimilarities point to enough genetic drift that our DNA would not pair properly.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
I spilled some soda on my keyboard and now a few keys don't work. Can I fix it without taking it in for repair?

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Binowru posted:

I spilled some soda on my keyboard and now a few keys don't work. Can I fix it without taking it in for repair?

Have you taken the keys off and cleaned it yet?

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Avocadoes posted:

Others have answered, but one of the bigger keys that no one ever mentions is that the colder the beverage, the less likely it is to foam heavily, especially if you're pouring it on ice.

So toss those sodas in the fridge for a while and you'll notice a difference.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Loopyface posted:

Have you taken the keys off and cleaned it yet?

Forgot to mention its a Macbook Pro. Not sure I could without breaking something.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
What is the timing mechanism in a toaster?

e: Looking it up, I guess it's a bimetallic strip?

Elijya fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Dec 5, 2010

BART IM PISS
Aug 4, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Elijya posted:

What is the timing mechanism in a toaster?

e: Looking it up, I guess it's a bimetallic strip?

Its actually based on Shreck sex actually, dont be a fool with your science words.

Thanks to the people who answered my Shreck question honestly. Thanks.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Does anyone know of an easy way to remap a button on my keyboard to something else? Specifically, I would like my capslock button to produce a 'ə'. I am using Windows 7 if that helps, and I am willing to download whatever spyware you can find!

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK

Gravity Pike posted:

I feel the horrific pull of World of Warcraft once again. When I quit, I had through BC. I want Cata, but $40 (WotLK) + $40 (Cata) + $15 (monthly) = $95 is way too steep a price for my first month. Do I have any options besides "suck it up" or "don't play, you idiot"? (Is WotLK expected to drop in price with Cata's release? Are there any rumors of a discounted bundle?)

A week or so ago, there was a sale where WOW + TBC + WOTLK were going for 10 + 5 + 5 bucks, but I can't find it anymore and it seems to have expired. I would probably not expect a significant price drop, as unlike most other games the expansions are all still required. Blizzard always puts out new WoW bundles soon after each expansion, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

Elijya posted:

I assume by Shreks you mean ogres from the Shrek movies? In a world where they exist, Ogres would have to be related to humans genetically. There's just too many obvious anatomical similarities, so they would also be primates. But just like you couldn't impregnate another species of ape, you could not impregnate an ogre. The physical dissimilarities point to enough genetic drift that our DNA would not pair properly.

I don't think this is correct. In the world where Shrek-type ogres exist, there are also donkey/dragon hybrids and I don't think we can reasonably assume that dragons and donkeys are genetically similar at all. So I think ogre/human hybrids are not out of the question.