Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
It's gone. How much was it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
I wanna try macro but I'm far too cheap to buy am actual macro lens. Are extension tubes a worthwhile way to try it out? Is there a reason I shouldn't buy the cheap $11 set on amazon.com?

The only lenses I have for my Canon 40D are a Tamron 17-50 f2.8, Canon 28-135 3.5-5.6, and a 70-200 F4L, will I get decent results with at least one of these lenses in combination with extension tubes?

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

Rontalvos posted:

I wanna try macro but I'm far too cheap to buy am actual macro lens. Are extension tubes a worthwhile way to try it out? Is there a reason I shouldn't buy the cheap $11 set on amazon.com?

The only lenses I have for my Canon 40D are a Tamron 17-50 f2.8, Canon 28-135 3.5-5.6, and a 70-200 F4L, will I get decent results with at least one of these lenses in combination with extension tubes?

Get a set of tubes, its the easiest and cheapest way to start out with macro. They should work with any of your lenses, but I think the Tamron set to 50mm will work best. Also, 11 dollars? That price makes the Kenko set seem like the luxury line :D

Studebaker Hawk posted:

Cheap MP-E came up on my RSS this morning, fwiw

I missed it... do I dare ask what the price was?... was it much cheaper than what they go for on eBay?

Gambl0r fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Dec 5, 2010

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
I figure you're paying for air and I have no problem manual focusing, why bother spending money to have electrical communication retained?

http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Extension-Extreme-Close-up-Digital/dp/B003Y60DZO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1291542268&sr=8-3

http://www.amazon.com/Zykkor-Macro-Extension-Digital-Cameras/dp/B0044X9CH6/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1291542268&sr=8-17

Bargain basement prices for a metal tube with a funny shape on each end.

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Gambl0r posted:

Get a set of tubes, its the easiest and cheapest way to start out with macro. They should work with any of your lenses, but I think the Tamron set to 50mm will work best. Also, 11 dollars? That price makes the Kenko set seem like the luxury line :D

I missed it... do I dare ask what the price was?... was it much cheaper than what they go for on eBay?

~700 IIRC?

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Rontalvos posted:

I figure you're paying for air and I have no problem manual focusing, why bother spending money to have electrical communication retained?

Aperture control seems like a good reason.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

seravid posted:

Aperture control seems like a good reason.

I was just thinking about this the other day. Why not just get an FD mount or other film mount lens with manual aperture control and an EF mount adapter. The whole rig could cost you less than $100.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Sadi posted:

I was just thinking about this the other day. Why not just get an FD mount or other film mount lens with manual aperture control and an EF mount adapter. The whole rig could cost you less than $100.

If you already have film lenses lying around, sure. Otherwise, I'm not sure it'd be worth it considering the cost of a 'modern' 50/1.8 which, unlike the manual lenses, is user-friendly and versatile.

Don't get me wrong, I like using old glass and some lenses are just as good (or even better) as what we have now, but most people would probably be annoyed by the lack of AF and electronic aperture control when shooting non-macro stuff.

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING
Yeah, Rontalvos- the lenses that you already listed will work fine with a set of tubes, and you don't need (or want) autofocus but you neeeed aperture control. Don't buy a FD lens, the ~$60 Kenko set is going to be the cheapest option.

Gambl0r fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Dec 7, 2010

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
I've got piles of FD lenses and I've never considered trying to mount them on my 40D, I figure I'll try out a set of tubes first and see where that gets me.

When people uses canon EF lenses on reversing rings, they usually can set the desired aperture, then hold the DOF preview button while unmounting the lens and it'll stay stopped down.

Fucktard Idiot
Oct 8, 2007

Rontalvos posted:

Tubes are super cheap just get a set and try it out http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12456

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I love macro! All I've got are P&S cameras but I get the most enjoyment out of trying to capture tiny little things. I picked my first camera specifically because of the 1 cm minimum focusing distance.

All of these are from a Canon A620 except for the Lego minifig, from a G9.

Bonus cellphone macro! (using a DVD laser lens)

Radzin
Sep 3, 2006

forward forward high kick
This topic finally made me buy a macro lens, and thus I captured this justice with my new toy.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Radzin posted:

This topic finally made me buy a macro lens, and thus I captured this justice with my new toy.

I hate those bastards so it's good to see one iced. I kill about 10 a day this Winter, down from 100+ in the Autumn. They are really interesting to look at up close though. Nice capture. (also the thumbnail doesn't show up in my browser for some reason.)

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

What is it?

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

Haggins posted:

What is it?

It's a stink bug. Very common in the fall and winter in the northeastern part of the country.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

How can you hate this little guy?

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time

seravid posted:

How can you hate this little guy?

BECAUSE THEY ARE DAMNED EVERYWHERE :argh:

jsmith114
Mar 31, 2005

I will withhold my judgment on the stinkbugs because I have captured the elusive snow poodle.

cleanhands
Jun 9, 2010

My opinions, though not completely awful are expressed in a tiresome and needlessly aggressive way. Please help me to chill out.
This thread looks dead but I just got a DCR 250 on the strength of people here recommending it.

Money well spent I think!

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

sirbeefalot posted:

Bonus cellphone macro! (using a DVD laser lens)

I like the cut of your jib.

Gravitom
Jul 27, 2001

Macro is all about being disgusted by the everyday things in life :)

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
I love this thread and it always makes me want to go out and shoot some macros, but... gently caress, its too cold to be using a tripod and taking time to setup a cool picture.

I even have nice winter clothing that keeps me warm, but I still hate it.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Gravitom posted:

Macro is all about being disgusted by the everyday things in life :)

I can't figure it out, what is this? Do I want to ask?

But along the same theme of looking a little too closely...

Click here for the full 1024x683 image.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pretty sure it's a candle wick.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
My guess was a popped blackhead which would be some insane magnification.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Stew Man Chew posted:

My guess was a popped blackhead which would be some insane magnification.

:barf:

I am never using a candle ever again thanks to you.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
I vote fungus.

Gravitom
Jul 27, 2001

xzzy posted:

Pretty sure it's a candle wick.

Winner!

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I have a downright ridiculous quantity of old manual focus lenses in every mount except Canon and Nikon. I know I can probably already use a reverse adapter with any of them, and can probably use them with extremely cheap tubes and a simple Y/CX-Canon adapter and not worry about aperture.

Tell me this obvious assumption is a correct one!

I would love to use my giant ridiculous Soligor or something silly like my Vivitar Q-DOS for macro.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Got a closeup of a flower here

IMG_1710 by alkanphel, on Flickr

wait a minute honey
May 12, 2006

butterfly by Adam McCarthy, on Flickr

Took this handheld in lovely light (Was in a Butterfly enclosure aswell , so it was humid as hell) This was all I could get out of the image :s

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Extension tubes and a cheap but great old manual macro lens with an adapter on it seems to be a really awesome cheap way to play with macro.

Now I really need a tripod. Handheld macro with 3 extension tubes and a 90mm lens is really hard :v:

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 9, 2011

CrabowlMastermind
Jun 5, 2006

My proudest macro moment yet - my first bug in flight! Sony NEX-5, Sony 100mm Macro, and a lot of patience!

CrabowlMastermind fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 9, 2011

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

I want to find a way to increase the magnification of my 100mm 2.8L; should I go with the dcr150/250 or Kenko tubes? Can I use both at once? Is that even a feasible idea?

I know both products are great, I'm just not very privy to the technicalities of each.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

CrabowlMastermind posted:

My proudest macro moment yet - my first bug in flight! Sony NEX-5, Sony 100mm Macro, and a lot of patience!

Now you just need to capture the head instead of the rear end :v:

Just kidding, it's a nice pic and certainly not easy to get. How's the balance with that combo? I thought about selling my a700 and going to the NEX-5 for shooting macro (and everything else), focusing with the LCD could make things easier at high magnifications...

Abnegatus posted:

I want to find a way to increase the magnification of my 100mm 2.8L; should I go with the dcr150/250 or Kenko tubes? Can I use both at once? Is that even a feasible idea?

I know both products are great, I'm just not very privy to the technicalities of each.

Seems like this question gets asked every couple of pages. Tubes won't reduce your working distance as much as filters but you'll need to take the lens off every time you want/don't want to use them. Filters only take a few seconds to attach.
Regarding image quality, since filters have optical elements they can produce distortions and aberrations, but as long as you don't go for the cheap stuff you don't need to worry too much about it. In theory tubes don't affect image quality but of course they do. Macro lenses are usually optimized for 1:1, anything above (or below) and you'll start losing quality. Does it matter? Probably not, diffraction remains the nş1 IQ killer and that's what you need to worry about.

With your 100mm, tubes + close-up will work fine. Here's how it looks (using a Minolta 100/2.8) :

1:1 (just the lens)

2:1 (68mm of tubes)

4:1 (68mm of tubes + Raynox DCR-250)

Gravitom
Jul 27, 2001

My adorable pet rat Dexter.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Well, those pictures sold me on the combo.

I bought the 250 today and it should arrive Friday, so I'll have plenty of time to play through the weekend.

I was unsure if both would work at once because, to put it simply, I had very stupid thoughts dancing around inside my head.

I've heard drat good things about throwing a 1.4 TC on 68mm Kenko tube stack with a good diopter, but I don't have the funds for a TC, so it's a moot point for me.

CrabowlMastermind
Jun 5, 2006

seravid posted:

Now you just need to capture the head instead of the rear end :v:

Just kidding, it's a nice pic and certainly not easy to get. How's the balance with that combo? I thought about selling my a700 and going to the NEX-5 for shooting macro (and everything else), focusing with the LCD could make things easier at high magnifications...

Definitely easier said than done! Your shots of the fly's eyes are brilliant by the way - I use the same setup (without the tubes though) and have never managed to get the eyes in focus like that.

The NEX-5 is great for macro because of the reason you mention, UNTIL you want to use external flash! Mainly because you can't currently! I've even tried using the IR remote to trigger the a700 and NEX at the same time to use the flash on the a700 and take the pic with the NEX - didn't work, I think the timing was different. The balance isn't too bad - you do get used to it. The NEX-5 is reasonably heavy too.

I find that I can't manual focus accurately with the a700 at all - even though the viewfinder is quite good as far as crop cameras go. It also hurts my eyes to try.

If you want something purely for macro, Sony already has some decent DSLRs out with main sensor live view, and will still let you use a flash. Also don't forget that to use A-Mount lenses on E-Mount means spending extra on the LA-EA1 adapter (it cost me £150 in the UK). You then lose the in body stabilisation (NEX lenses use optical stabilisation like Canon and Nikon) and autofocus.

So basically, the NEX is a brilliant camera, and I love mine, but I wouldn't buy one solely for macro use. I'm waiting to see if the fabled a77 ever comes out - an a700 with live view would be amazing for macro!

CrabowlMastermind fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Feb 10, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Abnegatus posted:

Well, those pictures sold me on the combo.

I bought the 250 today and it should arrive Friday, so I'll have plenty of time to play through the weekend.

I was unsure if both would work at once because, to put it simply, I had very stupid thoughts dancing around inside my head.

I've heard drat good things about throwing a 1.4 TC on 68mm Kenko tube stack with a good diopter, but I don't have the funds for a TC, so it's a moot point for me.
Combining tubes and close-up's works as long as you have a decent focal length (i.e. longer working distance). Try that combo with a 50mm!

TC's have the major advantage of not affecting the working distance. Careful with IQ loss, though.

CrabowlMastermind posted:

NEX stuff
Hadn't thought about flash. At high magnifications I always use it so it's a deal-breaker. Live-view with a DSLR doesn't seem like a great solution, though. It (should) works with the NEX since it's small and light, but with a chunky DSLR I'm not so sure. As you increase magnification, vibrations are also magnified... a lot.