Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

I just bought my second 850 today, a 95 GLT Sedan. I like it, but the horn is a bit weird - it's not in the steering wheel, there's a button on the bottom of the steering column I can press to get the horn. This is pretty inconvenient. Does anyone know how I would go about getting it back in the steering wheel like normal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Casao posted:

I just bought my second 850 today, a 95 GLT Sedan. I like it, but the horn is a bit weird - it's not in the steering wheel, there's a button on the bottom of the steering column I can press to get the horn. This is pretty inconvenient. Does anyone know how I would go about getting it back in the steering wheel like normal?

This usually means somebody disassembled the column for whatever reason and either broke or didn't correctly rewind the clock spring. Your PO said "man this clock spring poo poo sucks, I'm just putting a dash button in". Or the contacts on the horn pad are messed up for some reason, I suppose. You can fix it, although your airbag, a dangerous explosive device, will need to be handled and this makes some people uncomfortable.

I haven't had the balls or time to try and fix exactly this problem in my 740 yet (I expect a broken/missing clock spring from the PO dropping the steering column to replace the upper dash), so this is all I can tell you. Somebody here has to have fixed this, though.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

82Daion posted:

Without having a Bentley book here in front of me, my suspicion is that the "data link connector" is the diagnostic box that lives on the driver's side strut tower in cars that originally came with LH2.4. I'd skip the spaghetti and just connect the blue wire from that connector to fuse 11, 12, or 13 in your car, since it's probably for switched 12V for the ECU. I did something similar to get power for the computer in my 2.2 swap.

Ahhh, all right. Thanks a lot! I'm gonna try to get some of this stuff done on Monday and Tuesday since I have both days off.

Gonna make a run by myself to San Ysidro to get the fuel lines, alternator bracket, and fuel lines. Then I just have to wait for my friend to get the turbo oil and water lines from his house and the car should theoretically crank! :woop:

Also I made this on makestickers.com and it just arrived. :shobon:

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Casao posted:

You drive a loving Volvo. You don't need a horn. Just slip it into first gear and drive right through whatever is in your way.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE

Blaster of Justice posted:

You drive a loving Volvo. You don't need a horn. Just slip it into first gear and drive right through whatever is in your way.

Tractor motor for lyfe!

In other news..I managed to find a mechanic who not only is willing to look at some of the stuff I need to get done, but is willing to let me help out so I can learn it a bit. Replaced a door stop entirely on my own and helped with a timing belt, water pump, balancer pulley, and serpentine belt replacement.

Next on the list is a front suspension, tie rod ends, sway bar, calipers, brakes, and tires replacement. After that, AC/Heater core issues, gas gauge, and radio issues. Once that's done, car should be close to new in terms of mechanical operation. A few IPD upgrades will be a nice change too =)

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Blaster of Justice posted:

I'm in a city of SUVs and trucks. Mostly people are just too loving stupid to actually watch the light.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Xovaan posted:

Ahhh, all right. Thanks a lot! I'm gonna try to get some of this stuff done on Monday and Tuesday since I have both days off.

Gonna make a run by myself to San Ysidro to get the fuel lines, alternator bracket, and fuel lines. Then I just have to wait for my friend to get the turbo oil and water lines from his house and the car should theoretically crank! :woop:

Also I made this on makestickers.com and it just arrived. :shobon:

It should crank right now if you have the grey 8-pin connector on the firewall plugged in. :science:

ch1mp
Oct 4, 2004

I've been trying to replace my Bosch fog light assemblies without much luck. I thought it would be easy to just throw on an aftermarket pair but not so. I can't remove the mounting hardware without getting destructive and can't find anything with the same mount assembly for these made in sweeden bosch lights(a horizontal bolt which mounts through a barrel on the light assembly). Anyone know where I can get some of these? I don't care if they are bosch - just that they mount the same. IPD only sells the bulb enclosure and I need the whole light assembly.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
Going to look at a 2000 V70R this week. What should I look out for? ETM has been replaced

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

kmcormick9 posted:

Going to look at a 2000 V70R this week. What should I look out for? ETM has been replaced
I have heard the S60R has transfer case problems; I don't know how similar the V70R is but I can't imagine it'd be all that different, knowing those Swedes.

Actually, that's a bit of a misnomer; I think the S60R doesn't have a traditional transfer case - it looks like it has an "angle drive coupling" and a "bevel gear" which seem to go. They were replaced under warranty, but such warranty period has undoubtedly expired. Check for leaks.

edit: Link

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 7, 2010

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
It looks like that's a problem with the newer ones that gets spotted early on. I'll keep an eye out for leaks though

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

kmcormick9 posted:

I'd make sure that the turbo's not smoking or spraying oil all over the place, that it builds boost OK, and that it's not making any weird noises. You might also want to check that the AWD system is working OK (or that the driveshaft is present in the first place.) See if there's any indication of when the timing belt was last done; if it's due for replacement (the interval is 70K miles or so), that's a potentially expensive job that you'll want to be aware of upfront. Otherwise, all of the general advice that applies to used car buying applies.

Good luck!

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
Assuming the turbo is shot or nearing the end of it's life, are there any upgrades that drop in or fit with minimal modification?

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010
Going to take a look at a 91 740 Turbo Wagon. Looks halfway decent. According to the CO the Trac light is on but no other warning lights. What could cause this? I have a code reader will it tell me? (Forgot it is a 91, pre my obd ii scanner.)

197k miles. It is a southern car, so no rust. Tires are pretty new. Uses some oil, the mechanic (who I know and is very good but kind of tight even if it is your money) thinks it is the turbo according to the current owner. I've never had a car with a turbo.

Drivers seat needs replaced as do the taillights (cracked). Dent in the driver's side rear door that can probably be popped out with a suction cup. Otherwise very straight body. All other leather seats are fine looking at it from the outside.

Think if I can steal it for 800-900 I might get it. He has it listed for 1400 but admitted that is what he bought it for a couple of years ago for his daughter to drive around town. What do you guys think? I will try and post some pics once I get back.

EvellSnoats fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 11, 2010

localized
Mar 30, 2008
I bought an 1988('87?) 240DL today for $300. I wont be able to drive it until I can get it registered and insured though...

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

EvellSnoats posted:

Going to take a look at a 91 740 Turbo Wagon. Looks halfway decent. According to the CO the Trac light is on but no other warning lights. What could cause this? I have a code reader will it tell me?

A 740 shouldn't even have a "TRAC" warning light, as the system was never offered on that car. In any case, it's pre-OBD, but there should be an underhood diagnostic system on the driver's side strut tower. You can read more about that and how to use it here: http://www.volvoclubofbc.com/technical/systemfaultcodes.html

quote:

197k miles. It is a southern car, so no rust. Tires are pretty new. Uses some oil, the mechanic (who I know and is very good but kind of tight even if it is your money) thinks it is the turbo according to the current owner. I've never had a car with a turbo.

It's possible that the turbo is going bad due to age. Depending on your mechanical aptitude, it's not a horrible job to replace it, but you will need to source a turbo (used or otherwise.) It might also be possible to rebuild it. Get a picture from under the hood if you can, on both the intake and exhaust sides of the engine.

quote:

Drivers seat needs replaced as do the taillights (cracked). Dent in the driver's side rear door that can probably be popped out with a suction cup. Otherwise very straight body. All other leather seats are fine looking at it from the outside.

Think if I can steal it for 800-900 I might get it. He has it listed for 1400 but admitted that is what he bought it for a couple of years ago for his daughter to drive around town. What do you guys think? I will try and post some pics once I get back.

It sounds like a fair deal, assuming that it runs well and that the turbocharger is the only thing that's wrong with it. Take pics and report back.

localized posted:

I bought an 1988('87?) 240DL today for $300. I wont be able to drive it until I can get it registered and insured though...

Excellent, post pics!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

EvellSnoats posted:

Going to take a look at a 91 740 Turbo Wagon. Looks halfway decent. According to the CO the Trac light is on but no other warning lights. What could cause this? I have a code reader will it tell me? (Forgot it is a 91, pre my obd ii scanner.)

I can find you some taillights for a pittance. Maybe a seat skin too. See if the CO will send you a photo of the TRAC light being on. This sounds like a good deal for the price.

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010
Thanks Splizwarf, we are meeting tomorrow. It started raining like hell by the time we were to meet today and then it got dark. Will let you know.

I'm going up to Memphis early to scout the pick a part, stupid I know having not even driven this car yet, but I need some stuff for other projects anyway and need to get out of the house.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

TheJeffers posted:

It's possible that the turbo is going bad due to age. Depending on your mechanical aptitude, it's not a horrible job to replace it, but you will need to source a turbo (used or otherwise.) It might also be possible to rebuild it.
Rebuild kits for turbos are pretty cheap, and from what I've heard from others it's not terribly hard to do if you have a turbo that's the right candidate for a rebuild.

There are also a lot of shops that offer turbo rebuilds, particularly if you live in a city with a lot of heavy industry.

Crispulus
Dec 13, 2007

Aren't you supposed to yell at me and call me "HOPE" and motivate me over this wall?

Crispulus posted:

The suspension is still woeful but that will a spring project!

HAHAHAHAHA "Spring project!" I just realised what I did there!

Anyways. At -4 degrees my window motor died. Goddamn my colleague who had something "Oh so important to tell me."

Damnit.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Crispulus posted:

Anyways. At -4 degrees my window motor died. Goddamn my colleague who had something "Oh so important to tell me."

This is the 240? Move the plug to a known working window switch. The odds of it being the motor are a lot lower than the switch, the contacts wear off for everyone.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
They finally added the 240 into Forza 3.

Unfortunately it's only got the 85 mph speedometer!

Crispulus
Dec 13, 2007

Aren't you supposed to yell at me and call me "HOPE" and motivate me over this wall?

Splizwarf posted:

This is the 240? Move the plug to a known working window switch. The odds of it being the motor are a lot lower than the switch, the contacts wear off for everyone.

It ended up being the motor. Both driver and passenger switch could not operate. My mechanic moved it back to up position for free. I'll sort it out in the spring. Likely by switching out the guts of a manually operating door into all four. I never liked power windows anyways.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I'm just going to leave this here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDyuNPAuMq8

blankooie
Jul 21, 2009

mikerock posted:

I'm just going to leave this here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDyuNPAuMq8

11:27

oh poo poo

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I think my mechanic has hosed me.

(1999 V70 TDI) I had the timing belts replaced back in August when I bought it as the right hand belt was showing signs of perishing & there was no record of previous owners doing it (115k miles at that point) I specifically asked if he was going to do both belts (1 for the cam 1 for the Fuel pump) & he assured be so. This morning I was topping the fluids up when I suddenly realised the visible rhs belt was perished, just as before.

I doubt a new belt perished in 4 months so it looks like he never changed this one.

gently caress.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

^^^^^^
a good reminder to always see the old parts. Luckily, I've found a mechanic that will let me help out and learn at the same time...so I know it's getting done. Just replaced my timing belt/water pump @ 130k about two weeks ago. Also did a door stop, balancer pulley, and serp belt.

Still have a complete suspension/brakes/tires, AC/Heat, and a gas gauge to do...

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ether Frenzy posted:

They finally added the 240 into Forza 3.

Unfortunately it's only got the 85 mph speedometer!
Here's my Forza Volvo :D

Open image in new window to see full size

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I was driving back to Vancouver from Portland last night, and stopped in Tacoma to drop a friend off and get gas. When I reset the trip odometer it and the main odometer stopped working for 50km, then started up again on its own. What the hell would cause that?

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

mikerock posted:

I was driving back to Vancouver from Portland last night, and stopped in Tacoma to drop a friend off and get gas. When I reset the trip odometer it and the main odometer stopped working for 50km, then started up again on its own. What the hell would cause that?

Something might have slipped/gotten out of whack in the innards of the odometer and then worked its way back into place. Volvo odometers (and instrument clusters in general) are notoriously delicate; I'm waiting for the day that the one in my 940 decides to call it quits, as it's reluctant to reset and feels really worn out.

IPD sells a repair kit for 850s. I'm not sure if a similar kit exists for other models.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah, it's highly recommended you not push the trip odometer reset button on the older units when the car is in motion, specifically the 240/850 (presumably the 740/940 as well)... the plastic gears are kind of lovely in there and that's one easy way to break it completely.

Most of them are delicate enough they're in a perpetual state of sort of 'mostly working' so that would probably be what happened to yours with the 50km of nothing.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I was stopped when I reset it. I filled up again before I crossed the border and reset it again, no problems - strange. It is an 850.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

mikerock posted:

I was stopped when I reset it. I filled up again before I crossed the border and reset it again, no problems - strange. It is an 850.

Those little gears are so tempremental...if you hit a large bump it could have done it too. If it starts doing it a lot, then it's time to get the repair kit.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Ether Frenzy posted:

Yeah, it's highly recommended you not push the trip odometer reset button on the older units when the car is in motion, specifically the 240/850 (presumably the 740/940 as well)... the plastic gears are kind of lovely in there and that's one easy way to break it completely.

Mine broke on a bad pothole in Manhattan, it stopped ticking at 182420k and has hasn't moved at all in like 10 thousand miles now, I bought the gear but it's a major hassle to replace it and my neglected 850 has a bunch of worse problems I've just been dealing with till I have access to a garage and some free time. I just hope it isn't electrical or something, backlights have been slowly going out on my dash as well...

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

My goodness what am I doing here?
I've put 3 speedo clusters in my 740, each one lasting a differing amount of time before they'd either read zero or 90 miles an hour. I've finally got one that has a reliable speedometer... but the odometer stopped working about 4,000 miles after I put it in. v:shobon:v

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010
A couple of weeks ago I wrote about a 740 I was trying to buy. Apparently the guy selling and I are locked in a "who blinks first" contest. He won't show me the car and I won't buy. He is now out of town for the holidays and I decided to look at other cars in the meantime, even though I know he and I both know the car will be mine.

So I go over into the Mississippi Delta where I saw a pristine 200 series on my travels a few weeks back. It obviously was parked for a while but the body was choice. I go up to the car and give it a quick look before knocking on the door. It is a 264. 264? WTF? Quick check of the iPhone reveals a V6 produced for only a few years. Not what I am looking for, but I am intrigued.

I knock on the door and an old black gentlemen who looks like the blind guy from the first of the Oh Brother Where Art Thou movie answers quickly. He has shocking long white hair and a long white beard and he looks to be blind. I told him I hated to be poking around in his stuff without introducing myself, but I was looking for a 240 series and his car caught my eye.

"You don't want that car if you know 'nything about Volvos." He said. Well, I don't know much about Volvos in general, but I've been kind of looking for a 2 or 7 series I told him.

"That is my brother's. He hauled it here from California. The engine is a V6, and by V6, Volvo meant a couple of Eyetalian Fiat 3 cylinders mated together to produce the worst engine ever made. Volvo mechanics will hate you for bringing them this car. They will despise you only worse if you haul a diesel Volvo their way. My brother, who owns the car will tell you the same."

"Son, this truly is a lovely engine and I say that as a man who would really like that piece of poo poo out of my front yard."

Dude was an absolute trip. Told me his brother might sell me the car but only as a parts car as the engine was from hell and to sell it with any hope I could get it back on the road would be un-Christian during the holiday season. When I asked how much his brother might want, he smiled and said his brother got it for fee but it cost him a lot to try and get it going. He was sure we could work something out. After hanging around 30 minutes I told him I would be back in a couple of days and for him to tell his brother to call with a price in the meantime.

Weirdest sale I've ever tried to consummate and I have been banging on doors for 31 years. First time anyone has ever said, "My POS is not for sale because I am morally opposed to selling you such a crap car."

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
A 264 will have the PRV (Peugeot/Renault/Volvo) V6 (Volvo calls it the B27 or B28), which is problematic for a number of reasons. First off, the oiling system for the cams and valvetrain isn't really up to the task, so they usually eat their cams around 70,000 miles if they haven't been meticulously maintained. Secondly, that engine will have the K-Jet fuel injection system, which is trouble because they didn't make that many cars with that particular iteration of it, and finding spare parts will be a bear, to say the least. Finally, all other tasks related to engine maintenance will be much more difficult than on comparable cars with a redblock, since the engine takes up so much more space in the engine bay.

In short, that iteration of PRV is a fairly flawed engine that isn't really worth the investment required to bring it back from the dead. I'm with the old guy-I wouldn't wish it on anyone. :D That said, if you're of a mind to swap, it would be fairly easy to get some flavor of domestic V8 installed.

In other news, I installed an IPD overdrive bypass kit on the AW70 in my 244 tonight-it works great, but it's a bear to get into place. I ended up having to drop the transmission crossmember to get at the old solenoid, and broke a motor mount in the process. :argh:

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

82Daion posted:

That said, if you're of a mind to swap, it would be fairly easy to get some flavor of domestic V8 installed.

Even easier to swap in a Volvo turbo 4.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

LloydDobler posted:

Even easier to swap in a Volvo turbo 4.

That too. I only mentioned the V8 option because the PRV cars have the dipped front swaybar; otherwise, I'd go ahead and drop some flavor of B230 in.

Speaking of swaps, how's yours coming along, Xovaan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

82Daion posted:

That too. I only mentioned the V8 option because the PRV cars have the dipped front swaybar; otherwise, I'd go ahead and drop some flavor of B230 in.

Speaking of swaps, how's yours coming along, Xovaan?

I'm just waiting for my friend to come back from Big Bear because he has the rest of the parts I need. I made a run to my local yard and found the fuel line fittings I needed and my distributor arm so now the only thing I need to do is bolt everything together. But holiday at Starbucks is basically destroying any life I might have (I haven't even been to the gym in a week) but I'm still hoping. :unsmith:

The fucker will run, thoug. I can feel it. If you take into consideration all time I've had to work on the car, it's only been two weeks. :haw: