Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Your Host posted:

use the db name created, login "lostaruban", account password, and hostname "localhost" when it asks for configuration information

Let's play Spot The Difference!

Your Configuration posted:

It looks like the username you entered isn't the username your host told you to use. Wordpress provides some great error messages, and it singles out the username/password combination right there in the first bullet point of things to check.

You should probably get in the habit of reading everything on the page when something goes wrong, they're there to help and save you time. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I recently took over the website of an org I'm part of at school. The last web chief did a pretty bang up job so there's not much to improve on, but a project that recently came up that people thought would be interesting is a photo gallery of where they've been around the world with our org T-shirts. Is it possible to get this gallery created to look like the Google Maps gallery in iPhoto? Basically a zoomed out big map of the earth with little pindrops/other markers showing where each picture has been taken. For the record, it is running Wordpress 3.0.1.

Thanks.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo
Question for those using Widget Logic:

I'm wanting to show a particular widget on every subpage of a particular parent page (and on the parent), anyone have a string I could use for this? Hoping I don't have to make 18 billion widgets with is_page('x')...

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Hello, just found the command in the XML Google Maps plugin that lets you create the maps gallery. However, nextgen gallery doesn't seem to recognize my geocoded exif stuff. I click the metadata for each picture in my gallery and it doesn't show a latitude or longitude like it should. Where should I go to fix this? Thanks.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Is there a way to do a comparison grid, similar to what's available in Joomla? See this site for reference.
http://www.tabletpccomparison.net/

I'm looking to do something similar on a wordpress site.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo
? Just style up an html table. There's a bunch of plugins to pretty up tables but that's nothing you couldn't do on your own easily enough.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

mcsuede posted:

? Just style up an html table. There's a bunch of plugins to pretty up tables but that's nothing you couldn't do on your own easily enough.

I'm looking mainly for the ability to have the visitor sort the data by column.

Mr Viper
Jun 21, 2005

Derezzed...

BorderPatrol posted:

I'm looking mainly for the ability to have the visitor sort the data by column.

You know how each column on http://www.tabletpccomparison.net/ is a link, and clicking it either sorts ASC or DESC? It's all hidden by fancy ajax-y code, which is sort of unnecessary, advanced, and annoying. The easy way to do it is have each URL be something like, http://www.mywebsite.com/chart.php?sortColumn=price&sortDirection=ASC. Then, when the page is loaded, use PHP's $_GET['variableName'] command to pull which column to sort by and which direction.

This can be done by changing your mysql pull code to

code:
$sortColumn= $_GET['sortColumn'];
$sortDirection = $_GET['sortDirection'];
$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM `chart` ORDER BY `" . $sortColumn . "` " . $sortDirection . ", `name` ASC");
So when the user goes to http://www.mywebsite.com/chart.php?sortColumn=price&sortDirection=ASC, the function pulls

"SELECT * FROM `chart` ORDER BY `price` ASC, `name` ASC"

Now obviously you should make it so the $_GET variables are checked for validity, making sure people aren't using malformed URLs, blah blah blah. That's pretty easy, and I assume you know enough about conditional statements to be able to check all that.

Mr Viper fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 6, 2010

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
You can also just keep the one query and drop in some javascript to sort the tables.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo
http://www.noupe.com/jquery/useful-jquery-plugins-to-enhance-html-tables.html
Might be something here. Otherwise I swear I have seen an easy Ajax table plugin for WP somewhere...maybe CodeCanyon?

mcsuede fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Dec 6, 2010

pixelpusherbot
Jun 3, 2009
I have page A, with subpages A1, A2, A3.

These (sub)pages all use the same template.

In it I use:
code:
<ul>
		<?php
		$pages = get_pages('child_of='.$post->ID.'&sort_column=post_title');
			$count = 0;
			foreach($pages as $page)
			{ ?>
				<li><a href="<?php echo get_page_link($page->ID) ?>"><?php echo $page->post_title ?></a></li>
			<?php
			}
		?>
</ul>
So I get a list, of all pages that are related.

This works on page A, but not on page A1, A2, A3. Should I put all the pages in a category and generate a list with that? Or is there a more elegant way to say:
Gimme all your children, and if you are a child yourself, gimme all your parents children?

Edit: Love the Wordpress Community and people blogging solutions
code:
<?php
if ($post->post_parent)	{
	$ancestors=get_post_ancestors($post->ID);
	$root=count($ancestors)-1;
	$parent = $ancestors[$root];
} else {
	$parent = $post->ID;
}

$children = wp_list_pages("title_li=&child_of=". $parent ."&echo=0");

if ($children) { ?>
<ul id="subnav">
<?php echo $children; ?>
</ul>
<?php } ?>
Does almost what I want. I just want to add the parent (A) too, and I'd be perfect. (this gives me a list of A1,A2,A3 on all 4 pages)

Edit: Using this hacky thing for now:
code:
<ul id="subnav">
<li><a href="/<?php echo get_permalink($parent);?>/"><strong><?php echo get_the_title($parent); ?></strong></a></li>
<?php echo $children; ?>
</ul>

pixelpusherbot fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 8, 2010

marcel_proust.
Jul 30, 2009

Ok so I know this likely isn't a Wordpress specific question but you guys were really helpful before so...

We've set up a really simple website using Wordpress and it's basically now more or less finished. We turned on search engine indexing about a month back and the website now shows up as the first result when we search for the organisation's name in Bing but not in Google. In fact with Google it doesn't show up at all. I submitted the URL to Google when we first turned on indexing but it still doesn't seem to know the site exists. What am I missing here?

site: https://www.riverlandlegalservice.org.au

and compare:

http://www.bing.com/search?q=riverland+community+legal+service

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=riverland+community+legal+service

I've googled the problem and most suggestions relate to either making sure the organisation is properly mentioned in the website content (which it is) or waiting for Google to find the website (which seems to be taking a lot longer than most estimations).

cocteau
Nov 28, 2005

The best Darcy.

marcel_proust. posted:

Ok so I know this likely isn't a Wordpress specific question but you guys were really helpful before so...

We've set up a really simple website using Wordpress and it's basically now more or less finished. We turned on search engine indexing about a month back and the website now shows up as the first result when we search for the organisation's name in Bing but not in Google. In fact with Google it doesn't show up at all. I submitted the URL to Google when we first turned on indexing but it still doesn't seem to know the site exists. What am I missing here?

site: https://www.riverlandlegalservice.org.au

and compare:

http://www.bing.com/search?q=riverland+community+legal+service

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=riverland+community+legal+service

I've googled the problem and most suggestions relate to either making sure the organisation is properly mentioned in the website content (which it is) or waiting for Google to find the website (which seems to be taking a lot longer than most estimations).

First, how long has the site been live?

I assume you've done this:
http://www.google.com/addurl/?continue=/addurl

Also worth reviewing:
http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=35291

You might want to install a plugin like All in One SEO Pack that will help you with finetuning things for Google and other search engines.

And this is pretty obvious (and probably already done since Bing found you), but make sure in your WordPress admin panel, under "Privacy" you have it set to be searchable by search engines.

If you've done all that, it might just take a bit for Google and others to find you.

cocteau fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 13, 2010

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo
Use Yoast's SEO for Wordpress it has XML sitemap submission (this is probably what you're forgetting) built in and all sorts of good stuff. Way better than All-In-One.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
How do you think Gawker achieved it's new layout seen here:

http://beta.gizmodo.com/

The idea of two independently scrolling columns seems awesome, can it be done in WP?

cocteau
Nov 28, 2005

The best Darcy.

Bobx66 posted:

How do you think Gawker achieved it's new layout seen here:

The idea of two independently scrolling columns seems awesome, can it be done in WP?

The page isn't loading for me, but generally speaking, in terms of design you can do pretty much anything you want in WordPress.

pixelpusherbot
Jun 3, 2009

marcel_proust. posted:

In fact with Google it doesn't show up at all.
From a quick glance I notice no search engine accessibility issues.

Two things you can do now, to get better in the index later
- turn on permalinks (admin -> settings -> permalinks)
- get more content on each page (3 paragraphs will likely not cut it for the competitive Law Niche)

To get in the index faster:
- get more links to your website (from your own websites, friends, companies/clients and relevant directories), even nofollow links will help in in a speedier detection. LinkedIn already gives one dofollow link, and is much visited by Googlebot.
- Go to Google Webmaster Central and get a webmaster account. Submit a sitemap for your site (free online generator http://www.xml-sitemaps.com/).

If you have backlinks and a sitemap submitted, and you are not getting in the index in 10 days or so, post back here, because then it likely is an SE accessibility issue.

pixelpusherbot fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 14, 2010

fankey
Aug 31, 2001

Is it possible to configure exactly who can see a Private post? I'd like to have 3 levels of users
  • public ( those who register to post comments ) can't see private
  • work ( people at my work ) can see private posts but can't author/edit
  • authors can see private and author edit posts
It looks like the default is for only Editors and Admins to be able to see Private posts. I'd like a way to expose Private posts to select users without giving them Editor or Admin access.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

mcsuede posted:

Question for those using Widget Logic:

I'm wanting to show a particular widget on every subpage of a particular parent page (and on the parent), anyone have a string I could use for this? Hoping I don't have to make 18 billion widgets with is_page('x')...

Use x-widgets instead.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
I'm finding myself using custom fields a lot when coding in functionality because I find them really useful and, in many ways, user friendly.

However, I'm wondering if there's a way to make them even more simple to use for users posting entries. At the moment they can select the field name from a dropdown menu, but the actual value string has to be manually entered each time. This isn't a huge deal, but as I add more fields and things get more complicated I can see it becoming an issue.

Is there any way to specify a list of values to choose from (ideally in a dropdown) when creating/managing custom fields?

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Gasmask posted:

I'm finding myself using custom fields a lot when coding in functionality because I find them really useful and, in many ways, user friendly.

However, I'm wondering if there's a way to make them even more simple to use for users posting entries. At the moment they can select the field name from a dropdown menu, but the actual value string has to be manually entered each time. This isn't a huge deal, but as I add more fields and things get more complicated I can see it becoming an issue.

Is there any way to specify a list of values to choose from (ideally in a dropdown) when creating/managing custom fields?

I think the More Fields plugin does this, but I'm not 100% certain.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

Is there a way to undelete posts that I have deleted on my wordpress page? I thought I was logged into my other wordpress and deleted all of the posts I have made and the changed the theme. I know, Im an idiot.

Broccoli Must Die!
Aug 12, 2004

Meow.

Bojanglesworth posted:

Is there a way to undelete posts that I have deleted on my wordpress page? I thought I was logged into my other wordpress and deleted all of the posts I have made and the changed the theme. I know, Im an idiot.

Are you on wordpress.com or self-hosted?

I don't think there is a way to recover them, but if you're self hosted you might be able to ask your host if you can restore the database from a backup. Means you will lose any changes between the backup point and now, but eh.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
So I need to hire a developer and I'm trying to price out a project, but I realized I don't even know what to look for in a Developer. I have make a quick example of what I want here: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/bobx66/animatedrecipepage-1.gif (sorry it is a 3mb .gif). I know this is possible and I was just wondering what the best way of executing this in Wordpress is. What languages should I want my developer to be proficient in? Also do you think this is possible to do this in the thesis framework?

EDIT: If you can't tell what is going on in the gif, I want three zones on my site. Two columns and a header. The columns scroll independently of eachother depending which zone the cursor is in. No matter which column is scrolled first I want the header to scroll up and disappear before the columns start moving.

EDIT 2: Holy poo poo what happened to the last 4 frames of that gif? Disregard those.

Bobx66 fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 26, 2010

cocteau
Nov 28, 2005

The best Darcy.

Bojanglesworth posted:

Did you check the trash option? If you deleted them from the trash, I'm not sure if they can be recovered, but if they're still in the trash then they're safe.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
So no one has any idea on my above question? If you think you can do it I would gladly pay you for it.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

cocteau posted:

Did you check the trash option? If you deleted them from the trash, I'm not sure if they can be recovered, but if they're still in the trash then they're safe.

Where is the trash? I was looking for it but couldnt seem to find it.

cheesypeanut
Apr 4, 2004
w3rd. ngr wut.
Dashboard -> Posts -> Trash

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Ok, help please!

My wife and I have been busy getting the new version of our website up, at https://www.oslopress.com

I activated WP Supercache and my dashboard broke. Most widgets like the incoming links, plugins, and quickpress just stick on "loading" and the YoastSEO widget (I use Wordpress SEO by Yoast) displays the following error.

I'm not to hot with server adminning, could anyone tell me how to fix this? cpanel says I have 275mb free. Turning off caching in SuperCache didn't seem to help, but deactivating the plugin in the plugin panel did fix it.

Obviously I want to use WP SuperCache for performance reasons. Any Suggestions?

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 28, 2010

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
Try adding this to your wp-config.php
code:
define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '64M');
I just googled the file that was spitting the error and this was one of the responses.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Ned posted:

Try adding this to your wp-config.php
code:
define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '64M');
I just googled the file that was spitting the error and this was one of the responses.

Didn't work, as it seems my hosts locks down the PHP memory availability to 32megs. I have put in a support ticket in hopes that they can raise it. If not then it looks like I will need to pick and choose which plugins I want to run.

Edit: Teach support from my host upped the available memory for php and everything is running fine now.

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Dec 28, 2010

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Bobx66 posted:

So no one has any idea on my above question? If you think you can do it I would gladly pay you for it.

Independent scrolling based on mouse position is a possible thing but prone to working quirkily cross-browser because of how each browser treats scrollable areas.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

McGlockenshire posted:

Independent scrolling based on mouse position is a possible thing but prone to working quirkily cross-browser because of how each browser treats scrollable areas.

Good point. I just tested http://massless.org/pegs/ on 4 browsers and it is smooth on all of them. The guy is even running something similar on his wordpress blog at the root of his site.

Now that I know what to call it and what it uses, how do I find a good developer?

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Bobx66 posted:

Good point. I just tested http://massless.org/pegs/
That's not independent scrolling. That's pinning one column at the top of the viewport. Note that there's no version of the content with two long columns, only a combination of one short one that gets pinned at the top when the other continues to scroll down.

Doing that type of pinning is dead simple. It looks like that page is using a jQuery plugin to get it done. Unfortunately it's minified, so I have no idea what it would be called, if the author released it.

quote:

how do I find a good developer?
Well, there's this thread, but I can't vouch for it.

McGlockenshire fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Dec 29, 2010

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

McGlockenshire posted:

That's not independent scrolling. That's pinning one column at the top of the viewport. Note that there's no version of the content with two long columns, only a combination of one short one that gets pinned at the top when the other continues to scroll down.

Doing that type of pinning is dead simple. It looks like that page is using a jQuery plugin to get it done. Unfortunately it's minified, so I have no idea what it would be called, if the author released it.

Well, there's this thread, but I can't vouch for it.

Blerg, you are right. I wonder how Gawker Media did it on their new layout. They had a preview up for a while but now it is gone. Supposedly it is launching on January 1st.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
They put it back up. I realize that this isn't wordpress but I'm going to ask here.

How do you think they did this?

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Bobx66 posted:

They put it back up. I realize that this isn't wordpress but I'm going to ask here.

Curious. I don't know exactly how they are making it scroll in place. The div has a height of 4100 pixels, and they've any overflow to be hidden. They're using this mouse wheel handling code to capture mouse scroll events that happen inside that div. The most logical thing to do would be setting the scroll height properties on that div, but the properties on the div in the Chrome inspection tools don't seem to suggest that they're doing that.

Bastard
Jul 13, 2001

We are each responsible for our own destiny.

Bobx66 posted:

:psyduck: at the amount of javascript and css includes. Somebody on the team needs to read about YSlow.

Bastard fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jan 1, 2011

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
Im working on a site that uses the nextgen gallery plugin and some facebook like feature that puts a like button on the bottom of everypost.

It doesnt however "like" individual images in the gallery which is weird because each image is treated as its own page (according to the URL in my browser anyway) so I was gonna use some jquery to force the button to like the individual images. Heres what I tried:
code:
<script type="text/javascript">
var $j = jQuery.noConflict();
var href = $j(location).attr('href');

$j(document).ready(function() { 
             $j("iframe").attr("src","http://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?href="+href); 
  }); 

</script>
It does actually change the like button's source to what I want, but liking the image still only likes the gallery page and not the image.

Anyway to get this to work?

rugbert fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 31, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I hope this isn't an often asked or retarded question, but I hosed up:

I just installed WordPress to my site, and had the site up finally and was doing some editing. I changed the URL thinking "welp, it's an option here, it must not be a big deal". I just took my domain name (lets say http://www.domain.com) and edited it to http://www.domain.com/blog. As soon as I hit "Save Changes" it broke the site, and now I can't get back to the admin pages so that I may switch it back.

I have tried to follow this guide:
http://codex.wordpress.org/Changing_The_Site_URL

To no avail. If I load https://www.domain.com it's like a broken looking version of the WordPress login page, but if I try to hit the login button or anything, it just breaks.

If anyone knows what to do, please let me know. I don't want to try to delete everything and reupload it when I'm so new to having a website.