Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Ektar is cheap and nice. Velvia is fun for haha-colors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I recently got 20 rolls of Ektachrome in 120 size (slightly expired) for 36 quid of Ebay, hunt around a bit there is always good cheap film on offer.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Happy fun Russian lens time. Got a couple of Jupiter-12s, one in M39 mount, one in Contax mount. Also got the KMZ turret viewfinder and the KMZ dedicated 35mm viewfinder. Man, the 35mm viewfinder is crazily bright and clear compared to your average in-camera viewfinder.

EDIT: Oh yeah, one nice thing about the Jupiter-12 for Contax is that it disables the focus lock on the Kiev 4.

HPL fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Dec 4, 2010

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not in any great rush, so I'm just going to periodically search ebay and so forth. I like the Velvia pictures on Flickr, but it's in the same price range as Ektachrome. I'm looking for 35mm, sorry I should have specified.

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010
I've got a scratch running the length of a fairly important negative because I guess my squeegee had some crap on it or something. Is there anything I can do to fill it or am I screwed?

Oh, and tomorrow is the last day I'll have access to a familiar darkroom. Why aren't there public darkrooms? :(

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
No, you can't fix your negative, all you can do is try and tone it out on the print.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
I've seen some vaseline-like pastes that you can smear in the scratch and should make it disappear for a printing or scanning session, but after you wash it off at the end of the day the negative itself will still be damaged.

AbdominalSnowman
Mar 2, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Sorry if some of this has been discussed already, I'm just starting to work my way through this thread. Let me preface this by saying that I am completely, absolutely new to film in any form. I've been on the other side of the lens and I guess I've done some school projects with a camcorder and all that poo poo, but recently I have been more and more interesting in actually filming something. I have a few friends with some experience in digital film (unless I am getting the term wrong, they use cameras that don't have actual film. Not sure if digital refers to something more specific), but beyond that I don't really have anyone else to discuss this with.

I have always been more interested in traditional film-making and I figured this would be a helpful place to get started. So, where to begin.

I guess first of all, can someone recommend a camera that isn't going to break the bank but would still be decent quality if I decide I really enjoy the hobby and stay with it? I know cameras can get absurdly expensive and with no experience at all I guess there is no guarantee that I will even enjoy the process, so I would ideally like something suited for a beginner that isn't poo poo quality or that is going to frustrate my lack of technical know-how.

Should I even be looking at traditional film, or is it smarter to start with digital and get into actual film when I have spent some time in the hobby?

On a related note, how difficult is it to actually make a film from the technical side of things? If I have hypothetically finished shooting, what is the next step? Is there a guide for this anywhere? I'm fine with a learning curve, I pretty much expect any hobby to have one, but is this something I will have to spend years at before I can produce something that doesn't look like absolute rear end?

Also, not sure if this makes a difference, but I live in Austin, Texas and I am honestly not even sure where to find a darkroom. I can't imagine there aren't some around here, and if nothing else I'm sure UT has one, but I have no idea if I could even use that as a non-student. I do have a couple friends that attend though.

Sorry for all these questions and pardon all of my ignorance, hopefully I will get more of a feel for things as I read through the thread. Thanks in advance to anyone that gives me answers.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004
Blue Horeshoe Loves Anacot Steel

Tshirt Ninja posted:

I've got a scratch running the length of a fairly important negative because I guess my squeegee had some crap on it or something. Is there anything I can do to fill it or am I screwed?

Oh, and tomorrow is the last day I'll have access to a familiar darkroom. Why aren't there public darkrooms? :(

Don't squeegee your film. Just use photo-flo and let it air dry. Touching the film unnecessarily is only asking for trouble, as you have found.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

AbdominalSnowman posted:

Sorry for all these questions and pardon all of my ignorance, hopefully I will get more of a feel for things as I read through the thread. Thanks in advance to anyone that gives me answers.
Do you want to make a movie ("a film"), or take pictures on old-school media (on film)?

People around here can help with both, so let's narrow it down: what do you imagine yourself pointing a camera at?

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

killabyte posted:

Don't squeegee your film. Just use photo-flo and let it air dry. Touching the film unnecessarily is only asking for trouble, as you have found.

photo-flo and I squeegee using just one pass of the film between my index and middle finger, and I've never had a scratch.

AbdominalSnowman
Mar 2, 2009

by Ozmaugh

ExecuDork posted:

Do you want to make a movie ("a film"), or take pictures on old-school media (on film)?

People around here can help with both, so let's narrow it down: what do you imagine yourself pointing a camera at?

I would like to actually make a film. I just have literally no idea where to begin and pretty much no connections. Figured all I could really do was jump in the deep end but I need to know the basics and figure out how much I need to start saving to buy decent equipment.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
There's a cinematography thread in CC: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3144982 that might be more suited to your questions. This is basically a film (still) photography thread. There's also this relatively quiet thread on digital video in the dorkroom subforum: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3294359. New digital SLRs are now video capable and are seem to be the next big thing and would allow you to film with only a camera body and a lens and not have to worry about all the film side of it.

The dSLRs which are video capable are (from wikipedia):
code:
Canon 	
High-end - 5D Mark II (2008) · 7D (2009) · 1D Mark IV (2009)
Mid-range - 500D (2009) · 550D (2010) · 60D (2010)

Nikon 	
High-end - D300S (2009) · D3S (2009)
Mid-range - D90 (2008) · D5000 (2009) · D7000 (2010)
Entry-level - D3100 (2010)

Pentax 	
High-end - K-7 (2009)  · K-5 (2010)
Mid-range - K-x (2009)  · K-r (2010)

Sony 	
Mid-range - a945; 580 (2010) · a945; 560 (2010)
Hope this helps a little.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

We're doing "creative" techniques in class right now, and I've made some fun stuff with multiple exposures and all that, but I was curious if anyone else had experimented around to get some weird fun stuff that I might be able to try?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
As much as Lomography gets a bad rap sometimes, they do have some crazy off-the-wall stuff that might interest you.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

HPL posted:

As much as Lomography gets a bad rap sometimes, they do have some crazy off-the-wall stuff that might interest you.

I'm starting to warm to the whole Lomography idea. Firstly it gets people buying and shooting film, and secondly the whole process and result is a lot more fun than using a typical $200 p&s. A big part is I'm probably becoming less of a snob about it all.

On a different note, if you're after a Leica copy and want something a bit edgy, check out this :hitler:

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010

Spedman posted:

On a different note, if you're after a Leica copy and want something a bit edgy, check out this :hitler:

Wait, what the hell? What's a 'copy' and why is it $140?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Tshirt Ninja posted:

It means it's a reproduction not made by Leica, which is why it's so cheap at $140.

Rednik
Apr 10, 2005

Tshirt Ninja posted:

It's probably just a Russian Fed II with fake Leica and Nazi emblems. $140 is very steep for it.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
You can see where they've ground out the Russian markings.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Rednik posted:

It's probably just a Russian Fed II with fake Leica and Nazi emblems. $140 is very steep for it.

I dunno, I paid almost that for a perfect condition recon'd Fed 1f NKVD. That one certainly doesn't seem worth it though.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
E-6 at home is totally doable. I am the worst and laziest chemist, and my first roll through the Arista 3 bath kit look reasonable. I think I didn't agitate quite enough, and my temp was a bit low, so my shadows are lacking detail and there's a slight colour shift, but that's easily remedied next time.

Samples (Stylus Epic and Velvia 100):

I'm also getting used to using camera raw as part of my workflow since I'm making raw linear scans with vuescan now.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
I love the houses, slides make everything look so 60's.

Also 'sup fellow maxxer.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Rontalvos posted:

Also 'sup fellow maxxer.
:ssh:
There's at least a few people from SA there, I see things get cross-posted with too short of a turnaround time for it to be coincidence.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Reichstag posted:

E-6 at home is totally doable. I am the worst and laziest chemist, and my first roll through the Arista 3 bath kit look reasonable. I think I didn't agitate quite enough, and my temp was a bit low, so my shadows are lacking detail and there's a slight colour shift, but that's easily remedied next time.

I'm also getting used to using camera raw as part of my workflow since I'm making raw linear scans with vuescan now.

Once you do it a couple of times you get a routine down and it becomes as easy as B&W, the best bit is taking the roll of slides out of the stabiliser and seeing them for the first time.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Spedman, On E6, the three bath kit you posted earlier only seems available in the UK? What do you use reichstag?

I'll probably end up doing this when I move out of LA later next year and can't drop my rolls off down the street.

Curiously, has anyone used IR film for studio work? Everything I see online is digital and no real support? I figure I can meter with a filtered digital camera and look at the red histogram and try to extrapolate from there how many stops to open the aperture to bring it to the center??

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I bought the kit from Freestyle, which doesn't come with stabilizer (which is just photo-flo and formaldehyde for some reason).

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

Reichstag posted:

Man, these look really great. I may just invest in the freestyle kit next time I order film from them.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Reichstag posted:

Mmm, these are really nice. I actually like the colour shifting, it's got a bit of that XPro flare without being obnoxious.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

guidoanselmi posted:

Spedman, On E6, the three bath kit you posted earlier only seems available in the UK?

I'm a little surprised by that, I've seen them for sale in Australia (home for me) where film/film stuff is tough to get sometimes. They appear to be a German company and they don't seem to have any distributers in the US. By the looks of things the Arista kit looks to be worth playing with.

The other cool thing is that you can do your own push and pull processing, and I know with the Tetenal kit it gives you a little guide with respect to how many stops you need to go too.

I did try some x-pro with a C-41 film and it didn't work so well, (Fuji Superia 35mm), it came out very blue and dark (probably wasn't helped by my dodgy exposures on that roll!). But I did develop the roll of C-41 with a roll of E6 film at the same time and the E6 (Fuji Velvia 100f) came out great.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Look at what I did!

Now, I'm borrowing my friend's super ikonta so I can't wait to try that out. :D

Cannister
Sep 6, 2006

Steadfast & Ignorant
Anybody have suggestions for finding cheap super 8 film? Keh's got 50' spools for 15-20 bucks (not sure how much footage 50' gets). My sister wants a super 8 camera for Christmas so I thought I'd snag some film too, but it's twice as expensive as the camera!

Package deals are good!

wanderlost
Dec 3, 2010
What's the least expensive source for black and white 35mm film? I've mostly been shooting TRI-X and FP4+ but that's been due to availability, not preference... anyone have a strong brand/make preference? it will be developed in Kodak chemistry fwiw

Any tips for finding b/w film while traveling? I'm gonna be spending 8-12 months driving around the US & backpacking around Europe, and I'd worried about finding film.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

wanderlost posted:

What's the least expensive source for black and white 35mm film? I've mostly been shooting TRI-X and FP4+ but that's been due to availability, not preference... anyone have a strong brand/make preference? it will be developed in Kodak chemistry fwiw

Any tips for finding b/w film while traveling? I'm gonna be spending 8-12 months driving around the US & backpacking around Europe, and I'd worried about finding film.
Arista Premium from freestylephoto.biz. The 400 is rebranded Tri-X, the 100 is Plus-X (very similar to FP4+), and are around $2/roll. They have two other "store brand" lines - Arista EDU (Fomapan) and Legacy Pro (Fuji Acros). They're also cheap and worth trying IMO.

While traveling, and if you can't find a camera store nearby, CVS does sell Tri-X, but its like $6 for a 24 exp roll.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I went down to local camera shop today who have some cool second hand cameras. I was looking at two Zeiss Super Ikonta's in fairly good condition and asked for a price, $1200 and $1500 AUD, "they hold their value" he said. I said "cheers" and walked out.

Are dealers just not aware of real market prices? (keh values, not eBay)

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

wanderlost posted:

What's the least expensive source for black and white 35mm film?

China Lucky 100

(I am not even joking, I've shot with dozens of different b&w films now and it's still one of my favourites and so loving cheap. I usually shoot it 200 or 400)

Eurekapile
Jan 9, 2008

don't horace around
I'm trying to find an film camera for a friend. She has a darkroom on campus and has been using an old camera that you duck your head under a hood to use. I know very little, but I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.

I guess I'm looking for something that has a good chance of being in working order, is cheap, and produces interesting (not necessarily good quality) results.

Maybe like this?

Eurekapile fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 14, 2010

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Eurekapile posted:

I'm trying to find an film camera for a friend. She has a darkroom on campus and has been using an old camera that you duck your head under a hood to use. I know very little, but I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.

I guess I'm looking for something that has a good chance of being in working order, is cheap, and produces interesting (not necessarily good quality) results.

Maybe like this?

I think you waited too long. For roughly the same price, you can get a Fed-2 with an Industar 26 lens which is a sweet combo, but it'll take at least 2-3 weeks for it to arrive. Another option would be a Kiev 4A with a Jupiter-8 or Helios-103 but again, it'll take a while to arrive.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

I'm about to buy a scanner and some betterscanning.com 120 holders. I shoot positive most, then colour negative and B&W.

I've narrowed it down to either the Epson V500 or the Canon 9000F; does anyone have any strong opinions that could sway me to one or the other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eurekapile
Jan 9, 2008

don't horace around

HPL posted:

I think you waited too long. For roughly the same price, you can get a Fed-2 with an Industar 26 lens which is a sweet combo, but it'll take at least 2-3 weeks for it to arrive. Another option would be a Kiev 4A with a Jupiter-8 or Helios-103 but again, it'll take a while to arrive.

Sweet! Those are exactly what I'm looking for. Too bad they apparently only sell them from the Ukraine.

FED-2 on ebay

I kinda want to just go ahead and buy that...

should I?