Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine
This show remains my favorite.

The first season they had a purpose for all the violence and rule breaking, and then after that it was sort of a downward spiral and they just kept getting deeper and deeper into poo poo until there was no way out.

Every episode was like watching to see if today is the day that last jenga block comes out and knocks the whole thing down.

So much action and drama at once, no other show even comes close to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

The Valuum posted:

EDIT: Forgot how much I loving hated the older white bitch that worked as captain in the barn for a season. The policies she instituted that allowed for property to be seized pissed me off so much. She was so loving smug whilst ruining lives of fairly innocent people, and not acknowledging the fact everyone else disagreed.

You know what's funny? The portrayal of the program in the show is still really rose colored compared to the way the civil asset forfeiture works in the real world. It's a corrupt, disgusting distortion of the American justice system that has sickeningly prospered by scumbag privileged judges handwaving away fundamental rights under the technical guise of "civil" law instead of "criminal."

The dismantling of the program for that district (along with pretending it was a new development) always strikes me as a hilarious "television victory." It's like a plotline in say the West Wing celebrating the war on drugs finally ending, while the insanity thrives on in the real world.

It's one of those things where you just have to laugh, because otherwise you'd cry.

EvilTobaccoExec fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Nov 14, 2010

Yeet
Nov 18, 2005

- WE.IGE -
God I love this show. I'm on season 6 after...a week :(. I think I even like it better than The Wire. And the theme song is the greatest theme song ever. And for some reason I really like Ronnie.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Yeet posted:

God I love this show. I'm on season 6 after...a week :(. I think I even like it better than The Wire. And the theme song is the greatest theme song ever. And for some reason I really like Ronnie.

You really like Ronnie because you are human. If he doesn't grow on you through the series, something inside you is broken.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
For anyone who doesn't watch American Dad, Forest Whitaker reprized his role as Detective Kavanagh in an episode of American Dad a long time ago.

It was 2nd episode of the 3rd season, "Meter Made", more of a Goodfellas parody but it has a few scenes with Whitaker. It's up on Netflix if you wanna check it out.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one
Actually that character is one of several brothers, all inspectors of some sort, all voiced by forest whitaker.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
Yeah, he's back in the episode "Chimdale" from the next season, and some other episode when trans fats were banned, but I don't remember the name.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Makarov_ posted:

I'm finally watching my boxed set I received at Christmas. One big disappointment:

After season 1, it appears the 'previously on The Shield' montage that aired at the beginning of each episode has been scrubbed. At least, season 2 doesn't have the introductory montage, and season 3 doesn't until Ep 6.

In contrast, the single season DVDs originally produced had the teaser montage for all episodes and all seasons except 7 (possibly 6, I can't remember), to the best of my recollection. I rented them from Netflix a year ago.

For those watching for the first time, 2 very noteworthy episodes mid-way through season 2:

S2 E9 'Co-Pilot' (first episode on S2 Disc 3):
If you're trying to get someone interested in the series, have them watch this episode. It's one of the best.
Interesting how this episode tries to make the case for 'the system' making Vic and the Strike Team turn bad. 'That was easy' one member says. 'Almost too easy' replies another.

The following episode, S2 E10 'Coyotes' (minor spoiler, no plot giveaways):
This episode is remarkably prescient. You get to see Vic for who he really is, and that he's willing to hang people out to dry for whatever he needs at the time. Take special note of Gilroy's last conversation with Vic near the end.

Major spoiler for subsequent seasons, still without plot details:
It's amazing how much of what Gilroy says in his last words comes true. It's like Sean Ryan and the other writers went back before writing Season 7 and decided to make Coyotes be a huge foreshadowing for the conclusion of the series.

I'd hardly hand someone Co-Pilot to get started, since it's a prequel episode and you don't get nearly as much out of it if you haven't seen at least the actual pilot

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Dickeye posted:

I'd hardly hand someone Co-Pilot to get started, since it's a prequel episode and you don't get nearly as much out of it if you haven't seen at least the actual pilot

I agree, but it does have one up on the pilot by not having any Kid Rock music.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

This is true

I'm finally working on finishing the series, and I've marathoned most of season four in the last two days. poo poo's awesome.

PS I already know about the end of season 5 and how the show ends. poo poo's still loving awesome and I'm looking forward to/dreading the rest of the show

e: Back full of shiv and an rear end full of cum!

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo

Dickeye posted:

I'm finally working on finishing the series, and I've marathoned most of season four in the last two days. poo poo's awesome.

PS I already know about the end of season 5 and how the show ends. poo poo's still loving awesome and I'm looking forward to/dreading the rest of the show

This was pretty much exactly me. I watched the first couple of season a few years ago and just finished season 5. I knew about the finale but it was still intense. I luckily don't know how the next two seasons pan out.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

When the writers of the Shield do a musical montage well, they knock it out of the park (see Cupid and Psycho or Dominoes Falling). Then, there are those other ones.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

It was the best use of Bawitdaba I've seen/heard v:shobon:v

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine

Ratatozsk posted:

When the writers of the Shield do a musical montage well, they knock it out of the park (see Cupid and Psycho or Dominoes Falling). Then, there are those other ones.

I had to listen to Concrete Blonde - Long Time Ago again because of these music posts.

I guess Shawn Ryan had that song picked out for awhile.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Wartime Consigliere posted:

I had to listen to Concrete Blonde - Long Time Ago again because of these music posts.

I guess Shawn Ryan had that song picked out for awhile.

And it paid off really, really well. I love that song and that montage.

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine

User-Friendly posted:

And it paid off really, really well. I love that song and that montage.

I've actually had it on repeat since my last post. It's so addicting. It was a great ending, and the song fits so well.

The Valuum
Apr 11, 2004
Anyone care to post what songs went with what montage? I can remember the songs but not the montage. I am listening to the concrete blonde song, and I can remember it making me almost cry.

Also, I loved the American Dad parody, I couldn't put my finger on what exactly it was a parody of he said something about coffee and "some people will lie, I was just seeing if you were a liar"

Edit: I just googled the concrete blonde song and realized it was on the ending. Correction, it did make me cry.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The Valuum posted:

Anyone care to post what songs went with what montage? I can remember the songs but not the montage. I am listening to the concrete blonde song, and I can remember it making me almost cry.

Also, I loved the American Dad parody, I couldn't put my finger on what exactly it was a parody of he said something about coffee and "some people will lie, I was just seeing if you were a liar"

Edit: I just googled the concrete blonde song and realized it was on the ending. Correction, it did make me cry.

Season 1 had one mid season with this song only part i really remember is when they show the fat white bitch who kept switching between the two black guys shot dead. Edit: heres the scene http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_21jk9irrM

Season 2 finale used Overcome by Live

Season 5 when they talk about hiding Lem in Mexico they use Disarm by Smashing Pumpkins. I think that was a montage.

Dont remember any others off the top of my head.

banned from Starbucks fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Dec 6, 2010

spe
Aug 28, 2007

All Stocked Up
I can't remember the episode or context but theres a sequence with Vic stomping down the street in an absolute fury and Will You Smile Again? by Trail of Dead is playing and its awesome.

e: Season 4 Episode 7 "Hurt" according to wikipedia.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Man, that "Overcome" video makes me want to watch the whole drat show all over again.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Man, that "Overcome" video makes me want to watch the whole drat show all over again.

I had loved the show til that point anyway, but that montage sealed it for me that this show could probably be my favorite of all time. Just that last shot Of Mackey walking down those stares with the gigantic grin on his face as the rest of the crew looks scared out of their gourds at the Money Train pull. always gets me.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
Haha, I forgot about the one set to "Breakdown", by Tantric. This one is definitely my favorite (mostly for the guy's facial expression at the end)

edit: though it's always bugged me that they switch back to the theme song when playing the credits, instead of letting the music from the montage play out. It can be jarring.

User-Friendly fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Dec 6, 2010

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Season 6 opener & closer with Johnny Cash's cover of I Hung My Head is pure badass.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Wasn't there one when the Strike team revenge beats some guy in a motel parking lot for some reason and they walk away with Shane stealing his ipod or something.
God I really need to rewatch this series again.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
The use of Disarm was the best music montage. This is about to sound lame as gently caress but when I was driving in Los Angeles one time stuck on the freeway the sun was going down and then on KROQ Disarm came on. I actually got chills and thought about the shield.

friendlyconsumer
Nov 26, 2007

Focus on caring and sharing and listening and hugging and, uh...

Spooning.

soggybagel posted:

The use of Disarm was the best music montage. This is about to sound lame as gently caress but when I was driving in Los Angeles one time stuck on the freeway the sun was going down and then on KROQ Disarm came on. I actually got chills and thought about the shield.

Was that the scene in season five when they are saying goodbye to Lem?

The Valuum
Apr 11, 2004

friendlyconsumer posted:

Was that the scene in season five when they are saying goodbye to Lem?

Yup, when they were in the bar. That was my favorite montage.

The Trails of The Dead montage was great too.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Aceveda... more like rear end invader. I'm in the middle of re-watching the series so that I can watch the final season which I haven't seen yet and I want to kill that fucken prick - scooby and carl style.

Vick mackey might be a dirty prick but at least he was trying to serve some kind of sense of justice most of the time.... one of the few characters in the history of TV where its hard to feel sympathy for a rape victim - "you're not a cop. you never were."

Qmass fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 15, 2010

Cookie Kwan
Dec 10, 2007

Stay away from the west side!
Holy poo poo, I watched the first episode last night and it was AMAZING. Full on.

When the show first came out I was too young to really get it, but now I know what my grandfather meant when he said that I would love the show (we both love true crime/crime shows and books) but that I would hate Vic.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Toward the end of Season 3, I believe, there's another montage set to Kings of Leon's "Holy Roller Novocaine". Think it was Vic moving the money around or something?

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
Vic driving around to the sound of Nutshell by Alice in Chains.

I normally think musical montages are terribly lazy as is the frequent use of licensed music tracks but err, I liked all of the songs used in The Shield so gently caress it I guess. v:shobon:v

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

zVxTeflon posted:

Wasn't there one when the Strike team revenge beats some guy in a motel parking lot for some reason and they walk away with Shane stealing his ipod or something.
God I really need to rewatch this series again.

Season 5, episode 1's montage towards the finale of the episode. It's Coldplay's Til Kingdom Come.

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo
Just watched the entire series over the last few months. Absolutely wonderful.

I enjoyed seeing Ronnie come into his own over the last couple seasons. The entire series was great but I don't think I'll ever re-watch an episode. I'm done.

I also really enjoyed the series-ending credits. I wish more shows did something similar.

scr0llwheel fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Dec 23, 2010

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

I was searching google for a clip of Lem's most badass moment where he fights off all four of those guys he was watching after they jump him and try and take his Shotgun. Well I never found that, but halfway down the page was something interesting... Stormfront.org's discussion of the show. http://www.stormfront.org/forum/t189023/

I hadn't thought about it before, but I got curious as to what a bunch of neo-Nazi's thought about one of my favorite shows. I guessed ahead of time that they probably loved the gently caress outta Shane.

I didn't know which quotes to post because they're all terrible enough to mention.

racist posted:

So did anyone besides Candle and I watch it last night?
Bryan and I got home just in time from the gym to watch it- and we thought it was pretty good! It almost seems like Vic Mackey antagonizes the nigs, lol.
There was a ton of race related scenes, I was surprised.
It pretty much portrayed nonwhites in a realistic light for a change.
I checked the credits and didn't see one obvious jew name.

another racist posted:

That night he hears a cat meowing and goes outside and gets it to come to him.He pickes it up,starts petting it,then strangles it to death.WTF??? Here we go again with Jew writers who thought it would be funny to write a script about a German Detective who commits a awful act for no reason at all,kinda like the HoloHoax maybe?
It was no coincidence that out of the whole cast which includes negros and mestizos that they wrote the script makeing the German do it.

I like how they celebrate the lack of a Jewish influence on the show, yet still blame the Jews when something they dislike happens. The way they interpret the event is hilarious as well, as if it was a random interchangable plot point where Julian could just have easily been the one who strangled the cat.

racist posted:

I think if we can keep this discussion going we could show up higher in the google search results for the 'Shield,' which would get some more discussion of the show and attract some new members.

....drat it.

racist posted:

Plus, I kinda have a crush (had) on Shane Vendrell, and now having him murder sweet self-sacrificing hunk Lem is unpleasant. All there is to look forward to the next season is watching the team tear each other apart.

Wow. Even the nazis got pissed at Shane for offing Lem. I guess he was the most Aryan of the group despite Shane being the most racist.

I wonder if they have a thread about The Wire.

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

With all rocks and papers vanquished, they turn on eachother...

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

I was searching google for a clip of Lem's most badass moment where he fights off all four of those guys he was watching after they jump him and try and take his Shotgun. Well I never found that, but halfway down the page was something interesting... Stormfront.org's discussion of the show. http://www.stormfront.org/forum/t189023/

I hadn't thought about it before, but I got curious as to what a bunch of neo-Nazi's thought about one of my favorite shows. I guessed ahead of time that they probably loved the gently caress outta Shane.

I didn't know which quotes to post because they're all terrible enough to mention.

I like how they celebrate the lack of a Jewish influence on the show, yet still blame the Jews when something they dislike happens. The way they interpret the event is hilarious as well, as if it was a random interchangable plot point where Julian could just have easily been the one who strangled the cat.

....drat it.

Wow. Even the nazis got pissed at Shane for offing Lem. I guess he was the most Aryan of the group despite Shane being the most racist.

I wonder if they have a thread about The Wire.

Try imagining the Tavon arc through the mind of a racist. Shane becomes the tragic hero of the series!

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

I imagine they wouldn't be too keen on some of Shane later extra-marital shenanigans.

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine

Ratatozsk posted:

I imagine they wouldn't be too keen on some of Shane later extra-marital shenanigans.

They weren't.

There's not a whole lot worth reading in that thread, but here's a few things:

quote:

I think it was last season, where they had this White guy go on a shooting spree killing a bunch of Mexican gang members because they had moved into his once White, peaceful neighborhood and turned it into a complete slum. The White man's wife (also White) went on a rant to the police interviewing her about how they're (the Mexicans) destroying the city and the country and that she's not sorry about what her husband did. A fine piece of television. Then again, in Season 1 the Strike Force were guarding a black guy at his house, when his White "bitch" came by to visit. An extremely graphic sex scene followed, that turned me off from the Shield for a while.

quote:

I hate cops, i am sure everyone knows my stance on them, but I love that show, my comrade and I rent the series from blockbuster and watched both seasons back to back like Junkies, then when the third season came out and he is now living 2 hours away i watched it with my wife and he accused me of cheating on him with my wife, we were that fanatic about the shield.

Dancin Jesus
Aug 22, 2005
Just finished watching Season 2. It's a really great show so far. Not as good as The Wire, but it's really strong and I can't wait to see where they go from here.

Also the music montages so far are really well done. I like that the lyrics often relate to what's going on.

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine
It seems like with The Shield that it isn't claimed to be the best show by many people but usually their favorite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Wartime Consigliere posted:

It seems like with The Shield that it isn't claimed to be the best show by many people but usually their favorite.

This is how I've always thought of it. I wouldn't say The Shield is, without qualification, a "better" work than any of the holy HBO trinity of The Sopranos, The Wire and Deadwood. A literary label like those frequently applied to those shows ("like Greek tragedy," "Dickensian" or "Shakespearean", respectively) wouldn't fit on The Shield. Each of those genuinely redefined what was possible to do on television, and The Shield never really attempted to do that.

But what I think The Shield did better than anything else are some of the elements unique to the medium -- the long-term plotting, pacing and blending the episodic and serial. There were better shows on television, but nothing was ever better at being a television show.

• Locked thread