Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Phantom Goat
Oct 6, 2003

Where my moviez at?

doctor thodt posted:

Fulci's The Beyond is getting a region-free, uncut UK release from Arrow next month :dance:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Beyond-Blu-ray/dp/B0041H7KSS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1283702326&sr=8-3

That's really tempting. Who has the rights to it in the states now? BU?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

If anyone is into Steelbooks, FYE has their Inception steelbook for preorder. http://www.fye.com/Inception--f-y-e--Exclusive-Steelbook--Front-Page_stcVVproductId121433551VVcatId455366VVviewprod.htm

Edit: Picutes of it, http://forum.blu-ray.com/4091299-post415.html

hitze fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 5, 2010

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
That steelbook is really nice-looking, but difficult to justify the extra $15 in price.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

The Phantom Goat posted:

That's really tempting. Who has the rights to it in the states now? BU?

Some company called Grindhouse Releasing

The Phantom Goat
Oct 6, 2003

Where my moviez at?

Sporadic posted:

Some company called Grindhouse Releasing

Great... they haven't released a single blu. And I don't expect Sage Stallone to get off his rear end and do it any time soon.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Bambi posted:

That steelbook is really nice-looking, but difficult to justify the extra $15 in price.

I hadn't even considered getting the Blu-Ray until I saw that Steelbook. It's loving great looking. I'm just curious if I can find it anywhere but FYE.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not in the United States - it's exclusive to FYE. And if you import it from another country, you'll end up spending just as much money (probably more).

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Master And Commander is down to $6.99 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VDDWDS?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000VDDWDS

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!

doctor thodt posted:

Yessssssssssssssss.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

If ever there was a blu-ray to showcase a surround system, the opening scene of Master & Commander is just perfect.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Bambi posted:

A.I. is starting to be released across the globe, which hopefully means means a US release shouldn't be too far away. But if you don't feel like waiting...

http://www.yesasia.com/global/a-i-artificial-intelligence-blu-ray-japan-version/1023509710-0-0-0-en/info.html

Feb 15th

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

^^ son of a bitch :argh:

Bambi posted:

A.I. is starting to be released across the globe, which hopefully means means a US release shouldn't be too far away. But if you don't feel like waiting...

http://www.yesasia.com/global/a-i-artificial-intelligence-blu-ray-japan-version/1023509710-0-0-0-en/info.html

Oh hey, what do you know? A.I. was just announced for US release on February 15. Special features include:

-Creating A.I.
-Acting A.I.
-Designing A.I.
-Lighting A.I.
-A.I./FX
-The Robots of A.I.
-Special Visual Effects and Animation: ILM
-The Sound and Music of A.I.
-Closing: Steven Spielberg: Our Responsibility to Artificial Intelligence
-Two theatrical trailers
-A.I. Archives

That's the good news.

The bad news? It looks like Sony's Heavy Metal Blu-Ray had been canceled.

Bambi fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Dec 6, 2010

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you're into old WWII stuff, Periscope Film has restored the excellent documentary series Victory at Sea for Blu-Ray. Here are a couple of reviews:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/41411/victory-at-sea-deluxe-edition/
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Victory-at-Sea-Blu-ray/9026/#Review

It's a steal at $30, but if you buy directly from Periscope you can get an additional 30% off with code Victory.

http://www.periscopefilm.com/index....uemart&Itemid=1

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hard Boiled reviewed

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

doctor thodt posted:

Hard Boiled reviewed
I think I may as well just buy the blu-ray. I'm tired of hoping for a grand restoration that will really make this movie pop, when it's pretty clear that it's never going to happen. Even the shot of the Criterion is pretty tragic, so I doubt it will ever get significantly better.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

The restoration work done on Space: 1999 is breathtaking and easily on par with The Twilight Zone, Star Trek and The Prisoner. If you're at all a fan of this show, the Blu-Rays are a must buy. They just dropped in price on Amazon too.

http://www.amazon.com/Space-1999-Complete-Season-Blu-ray/dp/B003ES5JDI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1291755627&sr=8-2

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Bambi posted:

The restoration work done on Space: 1999 is breathtaking and easily on par with The Twilight Zone, Star Trek and The Prisoner. If you're at all a fan of this show, the Blu-Rays are a must buy. They just dropped in price on Amazon too.

http://www.amazon.com/Space-1999-Complete-Season-Blu-ray/dp/B003ES5JDI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1291755627&sr=8-2

I was considering this, I remember watching Space 1999 as a kid. Maybe I'll give it a rental first.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Looks like they hosed up the French release of Blue.

Blu-Ray with PAL speedup? :bravo:

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They hosed up the entire trilogy. I unloaded my set quick before reviews started popping up. Hopefully Artificial Eye does a better job in the UK.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Question for you guys: In the previous Blu-Ray thread, I made a single post reviewing the BD I bought for Venture Bros.: Season Two. Pictures, information on the release, and what I thought, etc. - I'd do it again, unless that should:

A.) Be its own thread - a collection of reviews of individual releases
B.) Be in the Blu-Ray thread, or DVD thread, depending on format, obviously

Thoughts?

A lot of us are going to be Blu-Ray heavy, what with Christmas coming, and a lot of us having cashed in on the recent crazy sales. Should we just include it here, or start a new review thread? I'd imagine if we made a new thread, it'd be much more specific, and picture-heavy, which would keep this thread from getting bogged down.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Battle Royale reviewed

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Raging Bull 30th Anniversary BD/DVD combo on Jan 11th, with over 50 minutes of new extras:

"Marty & Bobby"
"Raging Bull: Reflections on a Classic"
"Remembering Jake"
"Marty on Film"
"Cathy Moriarty on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson, March 27, 1981"

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Raging Bull looks pretty fantastic as is from what I remember, since I never watch extras I probably won't upgrade unless the new picture proves me wrong. I'd rather have an upgraded GoodFellas for the 20th anniversary.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Red posted:

Question for you guys: In the previous Blu-Ray thread, I made a single post reviewing the BD I bought for Venture Bros.: Season Two. Pictures, information on the release, and what I thought, etc. - I'd do it again, unless that should:

Thoughts?

Well I don't know about everyone else, but I'd love to see an individual thread on BD reviews.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I would love to see an open-format review thread, perhaps with some explanation in the OP of what the features of high definition are and what a poor upgrade looks like. If we can stave off claims of "all movies look great to me WTF are you talking about" that would be great. (I also wouldn't mind learning more about the format.)

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'd be all for a thread like that, but defer to someone like Neo_Reloaded or Crackbone who probably knows a lot more about the technical side of the format.

The Mummy Trilogy is $15.99 on Amazon.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

doctor thodt posted:

The Mummy Trilogy is $15.99 on Amazon.

Holy poo poo, buying.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Red posted:

Thoughts?

A lot of us are going to be Blu-Ray heavy, what with Christmas coming, and a lot of us having cashed in on the recent crazy sales. Should we just include it here, or start a new review thread? I'd imagine if we made a new thread, it'd be much more specific, and picture-heavy, which would keep this thread from getting bogged down.

I would love for it to be posted in here. If you are worried about bogging down the thread, remove the [IMG] tags from your images. That way people who want to see them can just click the link.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Anyone know the cheapest place to buy the Spider-Man trilogy on blu-ray? I know Spider-Man 3 is more common then dirt, but Sony decided to be jerks and made Spider-Man 1 and 2 hard to get for a half decent price.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Rirse posted:

Anyone know the cheapest place to buy the Spider-Man trilogy on blu-ray? I know Spider-Man 3 is more common then dirt, but Sony decided to be jerks and made Spider-Man 1 and 2 hard to get for a half decent price.

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/productID/A94075BA-72E7-4DA9-AD76-0DBA59C6C62D

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
drat I wish that Videodrone wasn't $30 on Amazon.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Sporadic posted:

drat I wish that Videodrone wasn't $30 on Amazon.

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/productID/E7D73865-E50D-4699-AA49-68F231D85063

DeepDiscount seems to have a pretty good sale right now, even if not B&N low on Criterions.

Lots of good deals... looks like a lot of Sony discs are under $12.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Egbert Souse posted:

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/productID/E7D73865-E50D-4699-AA49-68F231D85063

DeepDiscount seems to have a pretty good sale right now, even if not B&N low on Criterions.

Lots of good deals... looks like a lot of Sony discs are under $12.

I'm reluctant to use them after hearing what happened with their Breaking Bad deal...also I want to use my Amazon Prime to get it as soon as possible. Maybe I cash out some survey Amazon GC money and knock it down to 20

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Don't ever order anything from DD that's out of stock (which Videodrome is). I have orders over 3 months old that haven't shipped yet.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I'm sure you can find something else to occupy your time with.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

doctor thodt posted:

Don't ever order anything from DD that's out of stock (which Videodrome is). I have orders over 3 months old that haven't shipped yet.

My Battlestar Galactica Blu-Rays were in stock when I ordered them and it took them 3 months to get to me. That is the first and last time that I will use them.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

It's not a new issue with Deep Discount, either. The last time I ordered from them was probably 2003 - and a DVD that was in stock took almost a month to get to me. After that, it was Amazon for good.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

Red posted:

It's not a new issue with Deep Discount, either. The last time I ordered from them was probably 2003 - and a DVD that was in stock took almost a month to get to me. After that, it was Amazon for good.

Yeah I remember years ago getting some loving Beast Wars Season 3 DVD from them and not knowing where it even came from. Turns out I ordered it like a year ago as a gift and completely forgot about it.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Red posted:

I've had good luck throughout the years, until recently, when it took them nearly four months to ship me the North by Northwest blu-ray. That was enough for me, I'm sticking Amazon now as well. Saving four dollars wasn't worth it and their 'customer service' is a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

Fat Lou posted:

My Battlestar Galactica Blu-Rays were in stock when I ordered them and it took them 3 months to get to me. That is the first and last time that I will use them.

That's painful, man. :smith:

I bought Inception on Blu-ray today, haven't popped it in to check the picture- and audio-quality yet. Should be good, though, as the film is one of WB's flagship releases this holiday season.

• Locked thread