Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
This is going to sound really stupid but I'm becoming increasingly paranoid that I'm doing it wrong. Can someone post a detailed guide on how to brush your teeth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fire_walk_with_us!
Nov 29, 2010
I haven't been able to find an answer anywhere:

I seem to be unable to use the forum search function. It continually says "403: You are not authorized to use this feature". Does anyone know why this is the case and how I might go about searching the forum?

I'm new to the forum and probably being an idiot, but any help would be appreciated.

Obviously I'd search for the answer to this, but...

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

cloudchamber posted:

This is going to sound really stupid but I'm becoming increasingly paranoid that I'm doing it wrong. Can someone post a detailed guide on how to brush your teeth?

Seriouspost:
Step-by-step: http://dentistry.about.com/od/basicdentalcare/ss/simplybrush.htm
With Animations!: http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/healthtool-brush-your-teeth-properly

fire_walk_with_us! posted:

I seem to be unable to use the forum search function. It continually says "403: You are not authorized to use this feature". Does anyone know why this is the case and how I might go about searching the forum?

I'm new to the forum and probably being an idiot, but any help would be appreciated.

You need to upgrade to Platinum to search the forums (among other things).

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

fire_walk_with_us! posted:

you have to buy platinum to use search

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
Just use poor man's search and go to google and type: site:forums.somethingawful.com [search term]

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

What's the name of that artist who makes mindblowing temporary artworks out of fallen leaves in ponds / snow / whatever else he finds just lying around? I'm sure his first name is Andrew but I'm buggered if I can remember his surname. He's got a beard (obviously).

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

BonHair posted:

Does anyone know of an easy way to remap a button on my keyboard to something else? Specifically, I would like my capslock button to produce a 'ə'. I am using Windows 7 if that helps, and I am willing to download whatever spyware you can find!

Yes, you'll have to write a script to do it. My delete and backspace button were broken and my friend wrote one to make f9 and f10 do those things. I'm unsure of how to do it myself, but I can send you the script I had if you'd like to take a look.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Pipski posted:

What's the name of that artist who makes mindblowing temporary artworks out of fallen leaves in ponds / snow / whatever else he finds just lying around? I'm sure his first name is Andrew but I'm buggered if I can remember his surname. He's got a beard (obviously).

Andy Goldsworthy?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Robin Sparkles posted:

Yes, you'll have to write a script to do it. My delete and backspace button were broken and my friend wrote one to make f9 and f10 do those things. I'm unsure of how to do it myself, but I can send you the script I had if you'd like to take a look.

That's very nice of you, but I couldn't script my way out of a paper bag, so it wouldn't do much good :(

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Robin Sparkles posted:

Isn't capslock a different sort of beast than regular buttons?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

BonHair posted:

Does anyone know of an easy way to remap a button on my keyboard to something else? Specifically, I would like my capslock button to produce a 'ə'. I am using Windows 7 if that helps, and I am willing to download whatever spyware you can find!

Well, typing "how to remap caps lock" in Google brings you shitloads of answers.

Here's the link to the results after I pressed "enter" in Google:
http://www.google.com/search?source...488cb887e893d25

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

BonHair posted:

Use this official microsoft program to create a custom "keymap" for your keyboard. It will allow you to assign basically anything to basically anything else, and once created it's easy to switch back to normal layout if needed: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/goglobal/bb964665.aspx

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

alucinor posted:

Andy Goldsworthy?

That's him! Thanks a million!

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

BorderPatrol posted:

Seriouspost:
Step-by-step: http://dentistry.about.com/od/basicdentalcare/ss/simplybrush.htm
With Animations!: http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/healthtool-brush-your-teeth-properly

You need to upgrade to Platinum to search the forums (among other things).

Is that you? I used this method and now my face is breaking out.

edit:

I have a question too. When I had a wireless G router my neighbor had full signal from my router and he could use my Internet with no problem. Now that I have a wireless N router he can't even see my SSID anymore at all. I thought this was because he didnt have an N card but he went out and bought one and its the same deal.

I have no problem locating my SSID on all of my computers and phones when I am in my house.

Bojanglesworth fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 5, 2010

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

BonHair posted:

That's very nice of you, but I couldn't script my way out of a paper bag, so it wouldn't do much good :(

I could ask him if he can write one for you, if the links provided above don't work out for some reason.

kapalama posted:

Isn't capslock a different sort of beast than regular buttons?

I don't think it matters what key it is, I think you just write it to say "this key now does __ instead of ___" sort of thing.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Does anyone have opinions on a free software that I can use to make a file that is an .avi right now watchable on a DVD from a DVD player? I would like one that doesn't put on a watermark or anything, and I'm not a big AV person so it needs to be semi-simple. Any opinions on Avi2DVD, or suggestions for other programs? Thanks.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Does anyone have opinions on a free software that I can use to make a file that is an .avi right now watchable on a DVD from a DVD player? I would like one that doesn't put on a watermark or anything, and I'm not a big AV person so it needs to be semi-simple. Any opinions on Avi2DVD, or suggestions for other programs? Thanks.

DVDFlick is a free, open-source program that will do exactly what you want.

wheres my arm
Feb 1, 2008

I'm wondering if there is a nice simple football game that I can play on my PC. Madden is too daunting.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Does anyone know a reputable, quality child abuse prevention or child advocacy charity to which I can donate instead of joining this horrifically passive and embarrassing Facebook avatar-change drive?

wheres my arm
Feb 1, 2008

http://www.childhelp.org/
http://www.preventchildabuse.org/index.shtml

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

fishmech posted:

Use this official microsoft program to create a custom "keymap" for your keyboard. It will allow you to assign basically anything to basically anything else, and once created it's easy to switch back to normal layout if needed: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/goglobal/bb964665.aspx

While it doesn't want to change the very important capslock button, it does allow me to remap most of the keyboard, which is brilliant! Thanks a lot!

wheres my arm
Feb 1, 2008

BonHair posted:

While it doesn't want to change the very important capslock button, it does allow me to remap most of the keyboard, which is brilliant! Thanks a lot!

You might be able to do it by assigning capslock to one of your lesser used function keys, like F10 maybe, then use AutoHotKey to assign that to do the Alt+# combination that produces that letter.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

BorderPatrol posted:

DVDFlick is a free, open-source program that will do exactly what you want.

Thank you :)

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Bojanglesworth posted:

I have a question too. When I had a wireless G router my neighbor had full signal from my router and he could use my Internet with no problem. Now that I have a wireless N router he can't even see my SSID anymore at all. I thought this was because he didnt have an N card but he went out and bought one and its the same deal.

I have no problem locating my SSID on all of my computers and phones when I am in my house.

Ok I seemed to have figured this out on my own. When he comes over here he can get a signal, I guess for some reason my N band router doesnt extend a signal further than inside of my house, which is weird to me since everything I read says that N should be faster and further extending than G, and he could get an 80% signal from six houses down the street.

Also, even sitting right next to the router I am only getting about a 60% signal on my own computer. Any ideas?

Backfiah
Sep 19, 2009

Bojanglesworth posted:

Ok I seemed to have figured this out on my own. When he comes over here he can get a signal, I guess for some reason my N band router doesnt extend a signal further than inside of my house, which is weird to me since everything I read says that N should be faster and further extending than G, and he could get an 80% signal from six houses down the street.

Also, even sitting right next to the router I am only getting about a 60% signal on my own computer. Any ideas?

You bought a lovely router.

unarmed1618
Jul 20, 2010
If a house in minnesota (average yearly temperature=40 deg. F) has 19 16X32" clerestory windows on it's south side, and the utility bill in October is 115 dollars, Jan is 360, May is 138, how big is the house?
I'm trying to get an estimate here, and I don't know anything about houses.
If you have an idea where I can find information on this sort of estimate, rather than just giving me an estimate, I'd appreciate it.
And I just need a ballpark figure for this.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Backfiah posted:

You bought a lovely router.

I am sure that is part of it. It is the one Comcast supplied me. It is a Netgear WNR1000. That means lovely right?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I've not managed to find information on wikipedia, could anyone tell me what it is that causes tiger striping in wood? Like this:

Obviously this particular example is just a loving lovely bit of wood in the first place, but I've seen the effect on other bits that aren't as fantastic overall.

Backfiah
Sep 19, 2009

Bojanglesworth posted:

I am sure that is part of it. It is the one Comcast supplied me. It is a Netgear WNR1000. That means lovely right?

Could be worse to be honest. The reviews on newegg are either "great signal" or "horrible signal" http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122320&cm_re=Netgear_WNR1000-_-33-122-320-_-Product

It'd be interesting to see how it performs if you try using the g standard, so to compare it to your old router.

Edit: It could also be something really simple that you've set up incorrectly in your router settings that limits the wireless radius - if you set it up by default, sometimes manufacturers like to keep this smaller.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Backfiah posted:

Could be worse to be honest. The reviews on newegg are either "great signal" or "horrible signal" http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122320&cm_re=Netgear_WNR1000-_-33-122-320-_-Product

It'd be interesting to see how it performs if you try using the g standard, so to compare it to your old router.

Well thats the thing, it will only work if its on "Mixed g/n" if I put it to anything other than that I get no wireless at all and I have to plug my laptop right into the router so I can change the settings back to Mixed G/N. I am at my wits loving end with Comcast. I have been in this battle with them since August.

Backfiah
Sep 19, 2009

Bojanglesworth posted:

Well thats the thing, it will only work if its on "Mixed g/n" if I put it to anything other than that I get no wireless at all and I have to plug my laptop right into the router so I can change the settings back to Mixed G/N. I am at my wits loving end with Comcast. I have been in this battle with them since August.

I don't pretend to be that knowledgeable about routers, and I don't want to clutter this thread up too much with suggestions and such. Try posting in the Haus of Tech Support - http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=170 - make sure to follow the format in the sticky and you should get a much better response.

dsh
Aug 2, 2003
I want to go to a NFL game, never having done this, what's the best way to buy tickets? Is stubhub my best option? That's all my friends know.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

dsh posted:

I want to go to a NFL game, never having done this, what's the best way to buy tickets? Is stubhub my best option? That's all my friends know.

Well, there's the obvious: NFL Tickets.

BART IM PISS
Aug 4, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

wigtrade.cc posted:

What is that swedish(?) holiday drink that pepsi made a version of called pepsi holiday spice

can I get it in america to try it?

Julmust

Outside of Sweden its easiest to buy at Ikea.

Cornflake
Jun 22, 2005
Psycho Alpha Disco Beta Bio Aqua Do Loop
Is criteria the plural form of criterion? Or do they have two separate meanings? What about criterions?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Cornflake posted:

Is criteria the plural form of criterion? Or do they have two separate meanings? What about criterions?

Nope, criteria is definitely the plural of criterion.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Anjow posted:

I've not managed to find information on wikipedia, could anyone tell me what it is that causes tiger striping in wood? Like this:

Obviously this particular example is just a loving lovely bit of wood in the first place, but I've seen the effect on other bits that aren't as fantastic overall.

There is a woodworking megathread in DIY, there are some very knowledgeable people there that can probably answer this.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
Do you think it's inappropriate to give a college professor a christmas gift at the end of the semester?

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Binowru posted:

I spilled some soda on my keyboard and now a few keys don't work. Can I fix it without taking it in for repair?

For the record: No, I can't. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
Did you try rubbing alcohol, Binowru?